test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So, is the Moon Elf Race cash-only now? Or is the Pack one "Early Access"?

124»

Comments

• whoregutwhoregut Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Elves, Elves, Elves, Blah. You can keep your stupid Elves.
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So... the WoW expansions cost money to actually play the content?

The Neverwinter expansion doesn't cost anything (in real money) to play the content. The $60 pack is for, as said, a bunch of stuff that some players think is very nice to have, but none of it is necessary.

But WoW is a better deal?

Am confused.

That's what I want to know, people are talking like asking $60 for some optional extras is worse than cutting off all the new content behind a $60 paywall.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    calvin1tag wrote: »
    I just don't understand why people ***** about something that is optional? Don't like it don't buy it simple. Don't like the game? don't play it easy enough no?!

TBH, I think most of the angst stems from the exclusive race, which some perceive to be a "required" aspect of the game, which should in turn be freely available to all.

IMO, they'll probably do something like what they're doing w/ Drow, sometime down the road...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • myt3m0w53myt3m0w53 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    so it's not going to be the Eledrin? and they are going to split the race up even more? i mean this is a 4e based game and they did away with that crappy elf race stuff
  • nwntalonnwntalon Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm all for elfs, but 4 versions of elf and no subclasses of the other races doesn't make sense.
    Kildrak Gemviper - 60 GF
    Void Reaper - 60 CW
    Eliza Trickfoot - 60 TR
    Scarlet Maiden - 60 DC
    Timmy Orc-Bane - 60 GWF
    Ranger Jo - 20 HR
  • lhachmacarlhachmacar Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    myt3m0w53 wrote: »
    so it's not going to be the Eledrin? and they are going to split the race up even more? i mean this is a 4e based game and they did away with that crappy elf race stuff

As has already been explained pretty clearly, eladrin in the Forgotten Realms have multiple subcultures, including the Sun and Moon Elves. Sun Elves will be available for free tomorrow. Moon Elves are available as part of the Knight of the Feywild pack.

And incidentally you can thank 4E for making the "crappy elf race stuff" more complicated than it had to be. Prior to 4E, they could have just packaged a set of elf racial abilities together and let the color palette take care of 80% of the subraces.
  • itpalgitpalg Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am not a DD player and no idea about what 4E is etc.

I just want this company to release races and classes they mention in the LORE of the game in the character creation screen (barbarians, paladins, etc).

I am stuck with a guardian fighter due to PWE's limitations.
    itpaladin.png

• aislingiaislingi Member Posts: 140 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    So... the WoW expansions cost money to actually play the content?

The Neverwinter expansion doesn't cost anything (in real money) to play the content. The $60 pack is for, as said, a bunch of stuff that some players think is very nice to have, but none of it is necessary.

But WoW is a better deal?

Am confused.

Yeah ok.
    Here.

It's about pricing.

For 40 you get everything in the expansion. They value all of that as forty.

So why are a few optional things worth more than any expansion anywhere else? How come some extra stuff is the same cost as a whole game? Yes the bulk of the xpac is free, but if you buy this to get the most out of the "free expansion", you're going to pay more money than you would paying for an expansion anywhere else.

You see, they padded it with AD to justify jacking up the cost. If I wanted AD, I'd buy AD.

Instead, they put a couple cool things behind an enormous paywall. Yes, the rest of the expansion is free, but that doesn't make the pricing on the preorder packages inflated to a disgusting degree.

Let me buy Moon Elves. Let me buy the outfit, or mount. Leave out the AD, and give me a reasonable price.

How you can justify the full price of a game, for a few extra (READ: Cut out) items, is insane to me. That's where I get confused.

If it's minor, or "just optional" why is its price so high? If Cryptic is so confident in their massive playerbase/success, why are they going for smaller sums of high price sales? Why hide a race behind a pay wall? Why not make a ton of cosmetics and sell them?

Look at Rift, to see the best a ftp cash shop can be.
    I wanna go back to being weird. I like being weird. Weird's all I got, oh, and my sweet style. -Maurice Moss, The IT Crowd
  • rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why WoW can release an EP for $60 and a deluxe with extra ingame title, novelty item, mini statue and art book for $160 and everyone's fine with it, but when Cryptic releases an expansion for free and a bunch of optional extras for $60, everyone's acting like they're bottom feeding scum?

Thank you.

I played WoW for three years, bought every expansion I could as a collector's edition. I honestly feel like I'm getting way more with the Knight of the Feywild pack than WoW ever gave me with their collector's editions. Every single one of those is sitting in a closet gathering dust, the books I looked through once, never played the soundtrack CDs (ever), I used the mousepads out of two of them, didn't touch the card game. Yeah, that was money well spent. :rolleyes:

Like 90% of why I paid for them was for in-game content, which each of the collector's editions had like... ONE thing. I would much, MUCH rather pay 60$ here for all in-game content, than 100$ more for a ton of physical stuff I didn't really want. At least Neverwinter is free to play. I easily gave Blizzard more in monthly subscriptions alone than I've paid PWE.

THAT SAID. I do wish they would release new races behind a more affordable paywall, or into the Zen store where my FTP friends can get them. Yes, I paid actual money for this stuff, but that's because I enjoy this game and I want to support the developers and keep it running. I swear, people can be so entitled, whining about how something they get for free isn't quite free enough.
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    aislingi wrote: »
    Most mmo's don't do it all the time. Please show me five that sell tiny bits from an expansion for as much as a full AAA title. You can't. You're just making stuff up hoping no one will be experienced enough to call you on it.

WoW expansions, which include an entire continent, races, dungeons, etc. cost FORTY.

WoW expansions also come in an optional deluxe package, with optional extras, that cost more money than the $40 basic package. This is no different than offering an expansion for free and charging for an optional package, with optional extras, that costs money.

Both are offering optional things for extra money that are not needed by the player to enjoy the new content.

As I said, it is standard MMO practice, that's done by even the most standard MMO of all.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yeah ok.

Let me buy Moon Elves. Let me buy the outfit, or mount. Leave out the AD, and give me a reasonable price.

You seem confused. You actually will be able to, with the exception of the Moon Elves. But those are just cosmetic changes from Sun Elves, with nearly identical stats. As far as the rest, there is a version of the outfit, that can be bought separately. And their will be a version of the unicorn, armored unicorn in fact, available in the zen store.

You have the ability to buy any single item you like. Without buying the whole package. With the ONLY differences being cost, and minor cosmetic changes.

Your anger seems misplaced.
  • jarlsburgjarlsburg Member Posts: 222 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    The pack is not bad for a starting player. It is a bit pricy, just like everything else in the Zen store, but it includes more than the Guardian pack did so at least it provides more bang for your buck. I was really looking forward to buying this pack and making another alt to try out the new fluff and companion. I recently changed my mind and decided I am going to pass on it. I would still recommend it to someone who enjoys the game and has the money to spare, especially if they are just starting out.
  • ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I bought the Knights pack, and have no complaints! I mainly bought it because I have a thing for Moon Elves (Sun Elves not so much). Turns out I prefer the classic Dawn Unicorn it offers to the Dusk Version (though the Dusk version will satisfy those that don't like the "Princess" feel of the Dawn one). The Sylph pet has some of the most entertaining idle animation of any companion yet and is one of the few pure ranged strikers (supposedly a "Sprite" or some such version will be available in the Zen Store soon). LOVE the Moon Elf Uniforms (much nicer then the few cosmetic outfits available so far in the Z store). The Loam Armor Enchant is pretty cool, (love that Classic rooting has finally made it into the game). Only thing that is kind of MEH is the Stone Neck item (was expecting something more like a weaker Ioun Stone I guess). All in all I am very happy with the Purchase.
  • sandynicolesandynicole Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What are the racials for the Moon Elves, ministerofchange?
    To talk without thinking is to shoot without aiming.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If it's minor, or "just optional" why is its price so high? If Cryptic is so confident in their massive playerbase/success, why are they going for smaller sums of high price sales? Why hide a race behind a pay wall? Why not make a ton of cosmetics and sell them?.

Because just about everyone does that. Even pay to play games like the mentioned WoW. Most games, when they release an expansion they release a deluxe edition with a special pet, mount, or other goodies. This is not much different. Since the game is Free to Play the expansion is already free, but you can pay to have some Feywild themed extras.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR