What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Suggestion] Stop your greedy ways.

Comments

• pfft2pfft2 Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    pelomixa wrote: »
    Great post.

I have decided to stop spending money on this game. If it gets to a point where I can't progress because I need to spend real money, I'm gonna quit. I'm tired of spending my hard earned cash on air. I have officially changed my mind on the "point" you pay monthly for WoW, because you don't HAVE to buy anything else like in NW. Don't tell me its possible to accomplish everything you can "buy" without spending money because while it may be possible, its not realistically possible for someone who has a life outside of gaming.

Don't mean to put too fine a point on it, but this is why buying the $200 Hero of the North pack is a bad idea for people who aren't 100% committed to playing over the long haul, and/or for people who don't have endless money to spend on gaming.

And that's almost always true, no matter the game, no matter the business model. Extremely high-priced Collectors' Edition-type game boxes often result in buyer's remorse. Visit any game's forum and you're apt to see at least a handful of threads complaining that CE Buyers should have default access to this-or-that feature, this-or-that exclusive, and so on.

Understandably, you feel cheated because there's effectively no ceiling on what you can spend on a F2P game. You already spent $200, so why should you have to shell out $3 for a respec or whatever? Believe me, I sympathize.

But if you hadn't spent that $200 initially, if instead you'd approached your spending on the game strategically, how would you feel? That's an honest question; it's not rhetorical. The problem, if you can call it a problem, with NWO's F2P model is that there is no one-size-fits-all, subscription-esque solution that gives us what we're used to regarding as "full access" to the game, so we have to think very carefully about how we spend our cash. That's arguably a big flaw, from a user-friendliness standpoint.

It's not necessarily unfair, though. Neverwinter is truly free to play. You need zero Zen investment to level to 60, even to compete in the so-called (and admittedly sparse) end-game content. You will occasionally struggle with bag space, and your mount'll be slow, but the game is 100% playable even if you pretend that the Zen market doesn't exist at all. And eventually, if you play your cards right, you can earn enough AD to buy anything from the Zen market. Better yet, you can toss $20 or $30 at the AD exchange for seed money to guarantee yourself a decent AD income over the long term.

I think part of our problem here, and believe me I have the same problem on occasion, is cultural. We're used to a different business model. We're used to buying whole games and not putting up with advertisements inside of them. And we're not wrong if we prefer the old way of doing things -- but there's merit to the new, too: as more games go F2P, we have more options truly to sample what we like before we commit to a purchase. And although the purchases require more thought and (sometimes) a downright distasteful service/customer relationship, we can still get very good mileage out of our money. Competition on the F2P market will improve our lot going forward; the model hasn't ripened yet.
  • xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I see a lot of people complaining about mounts in this topic. While I agree that most of the prices in the zen shop are too high, I have to ask if people even understand that mounts from the zen market are for your entire account. I personally bought the Charger because I had lots of free zen and I wanted the 110% speed benefit. At $25 this not cheap, but now my account has it for all chars (currently 4). What I did not want/need was to pay an extra $10 so my 110% speed mount was different. I was buying the function, not the form.

Now...if more people were complaining about $30 companions which are for 1 char, I would be more in line with that complain train. As I said, I think the prices are too high on most things in the shop, but I feel that the complaints about the mounts are off base here.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • captinhamercaptinhamer Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Prices are to **** high. I'd say cut them all by at least 50%, maybe more.

I realize you don't have to buy things but if I'm going to continue playing long-term it's inevitable that I'm going to want to buy a few things. I'm sure it's similar for a lot of other people to. I'm having a blast playing the game but eventually it's going to get to that point where I really WANT to buy something and it's at that point that I'll be quitting. I simply won't touch the market at anything near these prices. It may be worth it to some but it's way off anything I would find reasonable.

I expect I'll be playing long enough to get my $60 worth and then moving on. Barring some major price adjustments witch I doubt are going to be coming anytime soon.
  • saultbawlzsaultbawlz Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    At least you can actually make it in this game without spending money. It takes a lot longer but you can trade and buy zen with AD that you make in game. Many F2P make their items so you can't trade them and are forced to buy from their cash shop. So thank PWE for that.
  • yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think the price reduction was a step in the right direction but there are still a lot of things that tie in badly with the economy.

I assume Cryptic balanced the prices based on how much AD they think a person can make and needs to spend in the game.

I also assume they did not calculate for the effect of bots, exploiters and cheaters on the economy, which I think is totally skewing price/value at the moment.
  • nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Prices are to **** high. I'd say cut them all by at least 50%, maybe more.

I realize you don't have to buy things but if I'm going to continue playing long-term it's inevitable that I'm going to want to buy a few things. I'm sure it's similar for a lot of other people to. I'm having a blast playing the game but eventually it's going to get to that point where I really WANT to buy something and it's at that point that I'll be quitting. I simply won't touch the market at anything near these prices. It may be worth it to some but it's way off anything I would find reasonable.

I expect I'll be playing long enough to get my $60 worth and then moving on. Barring some major price adjustments witch I doubt are going to be coming anytime soon.

Btw, prices were cut off. But on some things they were untouched.
  • nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    yerune wrote: »
    I think the price reduction was a step in the right direction but there are still a lot of things that tie in badly with the economy.

I assume Cryptic balanced the prices based on how much AD they think a person can make and needs to spend in the game.

I also assume they did not calculate for the effect of bots, exploiters and cheaters on the economy, which I think is totally skewing price/value at the moment.

I agree. The influence of exploiters totally devalues the efforts of non-exploiter and we are forced to find different other clunky ways to earn AD.
  • chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    verdonix1 wrote: »
    ^^^^ This feature, right here, VOIDS any and all arguments you may or may not have.... read it and then apply it... then dry your eyes.

Nope. Its not a black and white issue where being able to acquire things in game voids all arguments. Its a huge grey area where the validity of that argument will be challenged more and more on the basis of how much time is needed to do so. Time is the coin that people are avoiding paying when they pay money after all. How much time is going to be what influences whether it is worth it or not.
    edited July 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    Nope. Its not a black and white issue where being able to acquire things in game voids all arguments. Its a huge grey area where the validity of that argument will be challenged more and more on the basis of how much time is needed to do so. Time is the coin that people are avoiding paying when they pay money after all. How much time is going to be what influences whether it is worth it or not.
    Yay...love seeing post by people that understand this. Verdonix1 displays a huge amount of ignorance trying to tell us all that this is a "this or that" argument.
  • theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013

So what it comes down to is 2 groups. 1 wanting instant gratification who are willing to spend money on cash shops to get what they want right now. 2 being the group who dont necessarily want instant gratification or are unwilling to spend the money doing so. Either they are gaining AD to change into Zen or are standing on "morals" that the cash shop is "over priced".
    edited July 2013
    So what it comes down to is 2 groups. 1 wanting instant gratification who are willing to spend money on cash shops to get what they want right now. 2 being the group who dont necessarily want instant gratification or are unwilling to spend the money doing so. Either they are gaining AD to change into Zen or are standing on "morals" that the cash shop is "over priced".
    No it does not boil down to just 2 groups. What do people not understand about NOT BLACK AND WHITE.
  • theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    xelliz wrote: »
    No it does not boil down to just 2 groups. What do people not understand about NOT BLACK AND WHITE.

Because im pessimistic and live my life in a Black and White fashion.
    edited July 2013
    Because im pessimistic and live my life in a Black and White fashion.

fair enough. I don't and I am in a 3rd group who feels that even though I have bought from the zen market (regardless of how I got zen) that the prices are too high.
    edited July 2013
    fair enough. I don't and I am in a 3rd group who feels that even though I have bought from the zen market (regardless of how I got zen) that the prices are too high.

But you still did pay for the instant gratification, even if you thought the prices were too high.
    edited July 2013

Like the post you quotes states, its not a black and white issue, yet you replied stating its either one way or the other.

Reading the forums we see that your group 1 is currently populated by quite a few members who are saying if prices were less, they WOULD BE WILLING to pay for instant gratification, but they wont at the current price structure. Those people arent members of your group 2.

Stating the cash shop is overpriced isnt a matter of morals, its a matter of practicality. Players have to play longer to get a couple bags and a fast mount than they do to get an entire suit of level 60 purple gear.
    edited July 2013
    But you still did pay for the instant gratification, even if you thought the prices were too high.

Only if he paid money for the zen is it instant gratification. People who farm it in game arent being gratified instantly.
    edited July 2013
    Like the post you quotes states, its not a black and white issue, yet you replied stating its either one way or the other.

Reading the forums we see that your group 1 is currently populated by quite a few members who are saying if prices were less, they WOULD BE WILLING to pay for instant gratification, but they wont at the current price structure. Those people arent members of your group 2.

Stating the cash shop is overpriced isnt a matter of morals, its a matter of practicality. Players have to play longer to get a couple bags and a fast mount than they do to get an entire suit of level 60 purple gear.

And? The full set of level 60 gear isnt available on the Zen store. Bags and mounts are.
  • imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Whenever I want a respec I just do a handful of the 'free zen' offers on the website , takes maybe half a hour of time to get together 200 zen , if you don't want to spend that much time in 1 go doing it just complete one or two offers a day for 2 or 3 days , fair enough it isn't exactly perfect but it has allowed me to respec multiple times till I found a build I liked.
  • spacebux66spacebux66 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I'm sure that somewhere, a corporate stooge with nothing in his heart but greed and exploitation is reading this "suggestion" and thinking, "Wow! I never thought of that! I shall stop my greedy ways and see how it works out!"
    edited July 2013
    And? The full set of level 60 gear isnt available on the Zen store. Bags and mounts are.

Which reinforces the point I made entirely. The "instant gratification" mechanic you keep pointing out isnt even remotely in the neighborhood of being comparibly "instant" as obtaining an entire suit of relevant gear at endgame. This is how skewed the system youre defending is.
    edited July 2013
    Which reinforces the point I made entirely. The "instant gratification" mechanic you keep pointing out isnt even remotely in the neighborhood of being comparibly "instant" as obtaining an entire suit of relevant gear at endgame. This is how skewed the system youre defending is.

It is instant if you want to pay. I want 4 full slot bags and I pay for it and I get them. I dont have to wait til Im level 30 or 60. I can also pay and get a large amount of AD which I can then buy lv 60 purple gear the moment I level up. How is none of that instant?
    edited July 2013
    It is instant if you want to pay. I want 4 full slot bags and I pay for it and I get them. I dont have to wait til Im level 30 or 60. I can also pay and get a large amount of AD which I can then buy lv 60 purple gear the moment I level up. How is none of that instant?

When referring to how much time it takes to farm it in game, its not instant - this is the argument used to justify microtransactions being overpriced "but but....you can get it free in game". By doing a comparitive analysis on how long that takes -vs- how long other in game goals can be achieved, we can determine how valid that argument is - and right now, it doesnt hold much water.
  • cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Lol every day its another thread... "Omg so greedy lower your prices" or a massive paragraph with the term "money-grab" in it 47 times.

This is a free to play game, that means that you will never have to pay to log on, everything that you have either purchased in game via paying money for zen or by grinding the AD necessary to aquire it will be accessible to you from now until the the day PW stops hosting servers. So take the 30 dollar mount for example: It takes you 0 time to aquire and you can use it for lets say 5 years. If this we're pay to play it would take me however many hours of farming to get my epic fast mount + 15$ per month just to have access to it.

I'll take the system where I can buy whatever I personally want for my character and have access to it for free forever (as long as PW is hosting servers) every day of the week over 15$ a month. a one time $30 investment for instant epic speed mounts for EVERY character on your account FOREVER, that doesn't sound like a bad a deal vs. $15 per month or no access at all forever.

Not to mention I personally have made about 3k zen from surveys (yes they are long and stupid but if you can access them at work its great lol) I don't need more bags or bank space, so I don't have to pay for it. I do however like Ioun stone, character slots, and epic mount so I bought them (with survey zen and AD exchange), and now after my 1 time investment I have access to them forever at no additional charge.

Because you get to continue using what you purchase for free forever and never pay to log in they have to charge higher prices for it. I know that most people on forum could care less about cryptic's business model but at the end of the day they are a business with employees and liabilities that have to be paid, and if everything in the shop was $2 dollars everyone would buy everything they wanted and then never invest money again.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
    edited July 2013
    When referring to how much time it takes to farm it in game, its not instant - this is the argument used to justify microtransactions being overpriced "but but....you can get it free in game". By doing a comparitive analysis on how long that takes -vs- how long other in game goals can be achieved, we can determine how valid that argument is - and right now, it doesnt hold much water.

I am not referencing how much time it takes to earn in game. I am referencing Instant Gratification and people who arent willing to pony up and get it despite them wanting it so badly. People complain about prices because they want the thing that is "over priced" but arent willing to pay for it. I wonder if this mentality will work on the nearby Jag dealership.
  • cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    People complain about prices because they want the thing that is "over priced" but arent willing to pay for it. I wonder if this mentality will work on the nearby Jag dealership.

Lol at this! "Yes sir I realize that the pricetag says 62,000 but me and these other 25 previous jaguar owners think that it's overpriced so I'll give you 15,000 for it" you would be removed from the premises...
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • pelomixapelomixa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    pfft2 wrote: »
    Don't mean to put too fine a point on it, but this is why buying the $200 Hero of the North pack is a bad idea for people who aren't 100% committed to playing over the long haul, and/or for people who don't have endless money to spend on gaming.

And that's almost always true, no matter the game, no matter the business model. Extremely high-priced Collectors' Edition-type game boxes often result in buyer's remorse. Visit any game's forum and you're apt to see at least a handful of threads complaining that CE Buyers should have default access to this-or-that feature, this-or-that exclusive, and so on.

Understandably, you feel cheated because there's effectively no ceiling on what you can spend on a F2P game. You already spent $200, so why should you have to shell out $3 for a respec or whatever? Believe me, I sympathize.

But if you hadn't spent that $200 initially, if instead you'd approached your spending on the game strategically, how would you feel? That's an honest question; it's not rhetorical. The problem, if you can call it a problem, with NWO's F2P model is that there is no one-size-fits-all, subscription-esque solution that gives us what we're used to regarding as "full access" to the game, so we have to think very carefully about how we spend our cash. That's arguably a big flaw, from a user-friendliness standpoint.

It's not necessarily unfair, though. Neverwinter is truly free to play. You need zero Zen investment to level to 60, even to compete in the so-called (and admittedly sparse) end-game content. You will occasionally struggle with bag space, and your mount'll be slow, but the game is 100% playable even if you pretend that the Zen market doesn't exist at all. And eventually, if you play your cards right, you can earn enough AD to buy anything from the Zen market. Better yet, you can toss $20 or $30 at the AD exchange for seed money to guarantee yourself a decent AD income over the long term.

I think part of our problem here, and believe me I have the same problem on occasion, is cultural. We're used to a different business model. We're used to buying whole games and not putting up with advertisements inside of them. And we're not wrong if we prefer the old way of doing things -- but there's merit to the new, too: as more games go F2P, we have more options truly to sample what we like before we commit to a purchase. And although the purchases require more thought and (sometimes) a downright distasteful service/customer relationship, we can still get very good mileage out of our money. Competition on the F2P market will improve our lot going forward; the model hasn't ripened yet.

I do not regret spending 200 on the HotN package, but I do regret all the money I have spent on zen. I only regret it because it has not made the game more fun for me. I had more fun playing Everquest (and early WoW) in the olden days when you couldn't buy your way to the top, not easily.

In closing; I have tried out the P2W model, which I think is true to Neverwinter and Guild Wars and I just don't like it as much as I liked previous games. I compare the jump from P2P to P2W to the jump from Everquest to World of Warcraft.
    edited July 2013
    The car analogy is a very bad example since we all know (well we should all know, but maybe some people don't), that car prices are negotiable. Sure we're not gonna get a $60k card like crib's exaggerated example for $15k. However, many people drive off with a brand new car for 5-15k below sticker and some people get their cars with even bigger discounts. AND since we're using this analogy, those cars cost $$ each time their are produced. The items in the zen market were made once and have long since been paid for the labor to create.
    edited July 2013
    The car analogy is a very bad example since we all know (well we should all know, but maybe some people don't), that car prices are negotiable. Sure we're not gonna get a $60k card like crib's exaggerated example for $15k. However, many people drive off with a brand new car for 5-15k below sticker and some people get their cars with even bigger discounts. AND since we're using this analogy, those cars cost $$ each time their are produced. The items in the zen market were made once and have long since been paid for the labor to create.

You dont know about a thing called royalties do you? An artist records a CD once but they get paid every time a CD sells. A developer makes an item but gets paid every time it sells.
  • pelomixapelomixa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    verdonix1 wrote: »
    ^^^^ This feature, right here, VOIDS any and all arguments you may or may not have.... read it and then apply it... then dry your eyes.

Sure, if you have endless time to play the game, they don't make it easy to earn AD, purposely.

Perfect World realizes that people who can pay are normally the same group of people who work all day. If you work all day, and want to play end game content, you will have to buy a lot of zen with the current game model. Anyone who argues this point is either

A. not end game.

B. spewing propaganda to entice new victims.
    edited July 2013
    You dont know about a thing called royalties do you? An artist records a CD once but they get paid every time a CD sells. A developer makes an item but gets paid every time it sells.

Yeah its called "you still work for cryptic and get a pay check" royalties. Now maybe I'm missing something here so feel free to provide proof of this, cause I'm sure thats not how it works in the game industry. Maybe if you, theviking2006, created a zen market item and cryptic wanted to sell it, they might owe you royalties, but otherwise...