Options

Reasoning behind Astral Shield change

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Howdy All,

Ive recently decided to take a break from LOTRO (some of thier recent changes in the past year, not a fan of (mostly they decided to make a grind fest for awhile before new content, something I hate, so I decided to move on)) been healing since my cleric/paladin days of EQ. I prefer to heal, I dont care about pvp much, I like pve and solo content the most, for awhile LOTRO was hands down best f2p (which no f2p is really f2p, but I prefer to pay in my timeline, not a monthly sub, which is what good f2p should be).

So.. long story short, I rolled a cleric yesterday and started questing.. now I read the forums and (UH OH) is this even worth it, should I move to something else? prefer to stay in fantasy, not scifi games for the most part, was hoping to spend awhile here (couple of years) but if its starting out with paying to complete end game junk, I dont like that ideal much, I want something fun and doable, (To me if you cant do t1 content with pugs with compentent players, then its designed wrong) I know with LOTRO they made the OD design basicilly p2w , with the need to have tripple debuff pots, something no one could do game wise, hated that as well)

Should I not bother playing this game? Try something else.. I guess rift is a option.

Please let me know.
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Honestly, it's free, and levelling is really, really fast. You can get to 60 in three days if you try (apparently) or within a month if you can only spare an hour or two here or there, so why not give it a try and see if it feels right for you.

Pugging most T1s with competent players is a cakewalk, it's just that pugs rarely give you many competent players. At least if you're the DC you can be sure you'll have a half-decent cleric. :P
  • Options
    damsel1988damsel1988 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I agree totally. I am 37 and in the now for me 'suitable' daily Dungeon. I cannot keep up with the healing because of recharge. Also, I never seem to have enough mana. The healing spells do not heal well enough. Basically I have AOE because if I heal an individual (blue/mana) my mana is immediately depleted and now I don't have enough to heal the crowd because I healed ONE person (halfway).

In the late dungeon, the fireguys, all the adds immediately attack me when I start healing!!! The boss guy immediately puts his red ground on me too. There are so many red areas you do not know where to run to. In fact, the red areas cannot easily be seen because in fire area everything is red anyhow and when you get low health everything is read as well.

As a Level 37 cleric in a fire dungeon just one flash of red depletes my health by more than 3/4. At this level I dont' even have strong enough armor. Then, also in fire dungeon, When I run back to my team from dying allt he mobs have already respawned and I cannot get back to my team!!!

I am thinking of giving up and regret all of the 'real' money I have spent here!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I think the motto of these devs it, OK, you are nearly 60 now you probably have spent as much money with us as possible, so now we simply want you to go away.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Oh to the guy that wants to know whether to play this game. My advice, it is fun till nearly the end when it sucks really badly.
    Don't EVER spend real money on this game, this is not a game that will last for even a year with you, believe me. NOT like Wow, LOTRo and those games, those were made for ongoing enjoyment. This game is for making bucks for the devs
  • Options
    schlotinatorschlotinator Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Is 100% uptime on Divine AS still possible ? If yes how high has my RSI and Recovery to be?

Somehow maintaining a 100% D AS seems rlly hard, so i was wondering if anybody can tell me if it s possible.
  • Options
    lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Is 100% uptime on Divine AS still possible ? If yes how high has my RSI and Recovery to be?

Somehow maintaining a 100% D AS seems rlly hard, so i was wondering if anybody can tell me if it s possible.

AS was changed/fixed/nerfed - however you want to phrase this. There's a dev post on here with some extremely thin ice reasoning why it was change/fixed/nerfed.
    Added to this is the change/fixed/nerf to HoF

Probably the best thing is to stick around through the 5th December when the new Paragon paths are launched. Some of the new Cleric ones have been made more useful after player feedback from the initial poor offering on the PTS.
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    This is just sounds like you looked at one good skill the Cleric had and lowered it to match the some of the other poor ones. Yes, that's class balancing.
    "...many Clerics are enjoying all the other...." Yes - just as a guy in court says they are enjoying the opportunity to give their side of the story - Real meaning: They would much rather things were different but here they are.

This should never have been changed, and you've been stuck with trying to defend this mistake since then.
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
  • Options
    xthebluespiritxxthebluespiritx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    cleric was a blast for me up until T2 dungeons, where the incoming damage is 10x more than any "healing spells" available. if the goal is to have a party of only DPs then why have the DC in the game at all. time to roll a CW
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    cleric was a blast for me up until T2 dungeons, where the incoming damage is 10x more than any "healing spells" available. if the goal is to have a party of only DPs then why have the DC in the game at all. time to roll a CW

It sounds like your melee's needed better mitigation. Clerics are an asset but they can't carry bad groups in this game.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    yea ive realized its not all on me the main problem is people scattering everywhere on boss fights
    still love my DC<3
  • Options
    crescentdusk1crescentdusk1 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I could consider letting the fact that AS doesn't crit or activate the x% buff per person healed with divine status if...

Healing Word - Affected targets within rough melee range under divine use and if

Bastion of Health - Did dmg to monsters equal to it's heal value within the casting area (that's not a lot of either btw but it opens up different healing loadout options)

many of the skills that only do dmg could easily be set to heal for the value of dmg dealt without becoming massively game breaking besides Daunting Light ( I tap 30k+ crits on it with a High Prophet set, can't imagine with max plaguefire)

opt 2 would be to just let them contribute small HoT's with a diff icon/buff for each so they can't be single stacked but can be intertwined by using different dmg skills. That would make healing in lesser instances more fun as clerics could contribute to DPS or CC, and in higher end dungeons could still at least have 1 free skill slot to toy with and have some actual fun.

14 runs of PK with 15 min and under run times using AS,Healing Word, and Sun Burst are cool but it's boring as fack and I love to stick on divine glow or chains just bc I flippin feel like it and I don't always want to be just a healing stick. Sorry if I feel like having some variety in my gameplay.
  • Options
    argamatargamat Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    balance is a class become invisible and give you a blow that takes half or more of your life!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    all i ask for is variety. it gets boring putting down blue circle after blue circle
  • Options
    milenaelzmilenaelz Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I should have read the forum before I picked DC to play :( I didn't know nerfing AS cost us our end game fun and now we are one of the weakest class.

In just three weeks, I reached Lv 57 and I have spent quite a lot of real cash in this game, buying mounts, companions and many Zen stuff. I enjoyed playing as a DC so far. My only complaint is, it is true that our heals are a little too weak. I thought of spending more money to gear myself up with epic armors and stuff when I reach Lv 60. But now I guess I will wait and see...
    Lvl 70 Divine Oracle
    Lvl 70 Oathbound Paladin
    Lvl 60 Spellstorm Mage
  • Options
    owlinmonkowlinmonk Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm fairly new here, to Neverwinter in general, yet after hitting 60 I'm astonished with the extreme cookie cutter skill set the only healing role available has, and is basically required to use. I've played many healer classes across a variety of games over 8 years, and its the funnest class IMO. I live for endgame content, min/max and to just overall test my skills as a party backbone.

That being said, as many others probably do, I researched this class, its abilities, stat priorities etc.; before actually taking on the character.
    Surprise, surprise dozens of guides all say the same thing.

At wills; Sacred Flame or BotS, 100%Astral Seal.
    Encounters; 100%Sunburst, 100%Astral Shield, Forgemaster's Flame or Healing Word
    Dailies; 100%Hallowed Ground, Flame Strike or Divine Armor

Only clear reasoning behind this Locked set of skills is that they CLEARLY stand out from all other options. Need an example?
    Lance of Faith: Minimal Damage, 3rd Hit more powerful.
    Vs.
    Sacred Flame: Minimal Damage, 3rd Hit more powerful, +Temporary Hitpoints, ++Faster Casting.

Now dungeons are difficult, but with 5 mans being the endgame they have to be. Healing isn't impossible, but in some cases it feels like it. I've managed to heal all T2 dungeons with my 11.8k GS bar MC/VT. A lot of factors contribute to the level of difficulty healing; how geared the rest of your group is, how quick they are reacting to redzones, your own skills at avoiding damage, gear, and when to use decisions.

Most of the time healing is fine, Seal on trash with the occasional AS for the heavier packs. Bosses is where its interesting, healing is smooth until the time comes you find yourself with all skills on CD's, no divinity and heavy damage is coming out; nothing to do but attempt to build up power for something, anything.

There are ways of preventing this square 1 scenario mid-fight, and help with healing in general.
    1, In some cases you need to use an Encounter but don't know if you'll be able to afford to blow one of your Pips - devise a way (Feat/Personal) to give a --% chance for an Encounter to NOT use up a Pip on cast.
    2. In some cases you need to do minimal/moderate healing, Encounter might be a waste to use - Bring Lance of Faith up to par with Sacred Flame, maybe give it a Small AoE heal on its 3rd hit.
    3. Astral Seal is an amazing little ability allowing you to heal by taking advantage of the parties Dps., problem is they need to be attacking that target to benefit. - Make it to cast on players, not mobs. Any damage to any target they attack will heal them.
    4. Buff Bastion of Health by having it automatically buff party members inside it with AS from above suggestion?
    5. The heal on RMB in Divinity is near pathetic for the amount of power it drains. Either make it a automatic chain heal or more powerful single target for the situations 1 player takes significant damage. I'd rather channel half a bar-1 bar to get someone up 50% health than place an encounter on CD and lose a Pip or channel for 2+ bars and barely see any affect.

**I'm dreaming on this one**
    If we have full Divine Power, the LMB Damage Channel ability is FREE until we spend a Pip. Would help us do some extra single target damage in a fight where healing isn't immediately needed.
  • Options
    callahaltcallahalt Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    How do I delete a message in the forum?
  • Options
    zatarra2016zatarra2016 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've played the role of main healer in many different games, Everquest, WoW, DAoC and lesser others. One thing each of these games understood (at least to some degree) was that the healer role is hectic and sometimes thankless job of watching out for all the same problems the DPS/Tanks are watching for: the red spots on the floor, the dragons breath, etc. But on top of that we must watch health bars and know when the fights need PRE-healing and when group mates make a mistake, we must heal more aggressively.

So when we spec our class to perform more powerful heals, we lose some dps, or some dmg mitigation for ourselves, BUT we make the group stronger. Is this true in NW? No. We spec for heals, and arrange our feats and powers for heals. Then we find that when we enter a PVP battle, we only get credit for KILLS? never for heals? but but... our group would have lost if *I* didnt heal! and I came in last in the honor payout?

So when we enter a tough PVE Boss fight and we need to toss out a stronger, faster heal... there is nothing in the inventory. Its heal-A and heal-B over and over. No variety, no change. No real help to the group honestly, if your 10-15k GS group wins a battle- often they could have done it without you (as they all have lifesteal and potions).

I've focused my gear/time/energy to be the best healer possible, and I deliver the weakest HoT's ever. I *want* to target GUY-X in my group and heal him, but because GUY-Y is standing in front of him, I cannot. The stupid targetting system chooses for me. It chooses wrong and now, even my weak heal wont be going where I need it to... I would step to the left or right so I might help the game engine target the correct person, but I cant, theres a cliff, or the floor is a sea of red...

You must address this- make the cleric more fun, more interesting, add some variety- or those who play it will leave and the healers will dry up. Go ahead and ignore the playerbases frustrations and while I KNOW you are making $ now... it will fade faster than a politician after a lost election.

Fix it, please Fix it
  • Options
    jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've focused my gear/time/energy to be the best healer possible, and I deliver the weakest HoT's ever. I *want* to target GUY-X in my group and heal him, but because GUY-Y is standing in front of him, I cannot. The stupid targetting system chooses for me. It chooses wrong and now, even my weak heal wont be going where I need it to... I would step to the left or right so I might help the game engine target the correct person, but I cant, theres a cliff, or the floor is a sea of red...

You must address this- make the cleric more fun, more interesting, add some variety- or those who play it will leave and the healers will dry up. Go ahead and ignore the playerbases frustrations and while I KNOW you are making $ now... it will fade faster than a politician after a lost election.

Fix it, please Fix it

This thread is for Astral Shield discussion only, so you pop in wrong place. Btw healing spells cannot penetrate one body so there is no guy X nor Y issue. I wonder in which game you saw single target healing spells can penetrate through an allies or wall or rock to reach your target??
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    jazzfong wrote: »
    Btw healing spells cannot penetrate one body so there is no guy X nor Y issue. I wonder in which game you saw single target healing spells can penetrate through an allies or wall or rock to reach your target??

Pretty much all of them. In MMOs which allow the use of party frames for targeting, friendlies (and actually, hostile units too) do not break line of sight, and thus do not prevent healing.

Having raid healed in a fair few MMOs, I am having trouble thinking of one where this wasn't the case.
  • Options
    zatarra2016zatarra2016 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jazzfong wrote: »
    This thread is for Astral Shield discussion only, so you pop in wrong place. Btw healing spells cannot penetrate one body so there is no guy X nor Y issue. I wonder in which game you saw single target healing spells can penetrate through an allies or wall or rock to reach your target??

Your comment invalidates your submission as clearly you have never cast a heal spell in THIS game.

And AS is not the ONLY talk in this thread- has it been derailed, perhaps but the AS Nerf is just another link in the broken chain of NW class balance
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    silverkelt wrote: »
    Howdy All,

Ive recently decided to take a break from LOTRO (some of thier recent changes in the past year, not a fan of (mostly they decided to make a grind fest for awhile before new content, something I hate, so I decided to move on)) been healing since my cleric/paladin days of EQ. I prefer to heal, I dont care about pvp much, I like pve and solo content the most, for awhile LOTRO was hands down best f2p (which no f2p is really f2p, but I prefer to pay in my timeline, not a monthly sub, which is what good f2p should be).

So.. long story short, I rolled a cleric yesterday and started questing.. now I read the forums and (UH OH) is this even worth it, should I move to something else? prefer to stay in fantasy, not scifi games for the most part, was hoping to spend awhile here (couple of years) but if its starting out with paying to complete end game junk, I dont like that ideal much, I want something fun and doable, (To me if you cant do t1 content with pugs with compentent players, then its designed wrong) I know with LOTRO they made the OD design basicilly p2w , with the need to have tripple debuff pots, something no one could do game wise, hated that as well)

Should I not bother playing this game? Try something else.. I guess rift is a option.

Please let me know.

Healer in this game is more of a support rather than save everyone. They want people to use pots - lots of them - even the healer, that's why they have the simply ridiculous Righteousness mechanic. A healer that gets penalized for healing? - which acid trip where they on when that one cropped up.
    As for the Astral Shield change - a complete and utter farcical decision - but not surprising as it was reducing people's potion usage.
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I posted that a couple months ago, after playing for a bit at end game, healing is fine as designed, whatever deaths occur is usually do to people standing in reds. The game is designed a little different, what I see as class balance issues mostly stems from DCs lack of DPS now, as other classes see astronomic rises in DPS and self healing, the DCs continues to narrow, dont even speak about the upcoming PVP changes.

They could help re-balance by looking at the terrible feats that the DCs have and animation speed, Daunting light for one, a very good encounter has to be times pefectly for use, especially in pvp where movement is key.

Decrease animation time to DL, insta cast while in Divinity, rework some horrible frustating feats (sometimes we just choose the least of the worst to move into paths) SB should be a on the run cast as well. Overall, for a supposed action combat game, all the movement happens after we cast a skill, to avoid being ccd down during pvp.

PVE mode, I dont see much of a issue with the DC, other then the pigeon holing aspects, they could really tweak stuff around some animation speed up and increased DPS rotations may give more of a odd dps utitily function to the class that really lacks. Supposed off controler doesnt work much, as the control skills that any ever bothers with (chains and SB are not very effective in pvp world , sb is ok, but you can be insta chained down before you are close enough to use that skill) and have no use or limited use in pve dds(If im tanking the odd t1 just for kicks, Ill use chains to keep mobs close to me while ranged burns it down).

Silverkelt
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    It's quite common to forget about the mitigation element of DC play, too (not least because it's not on the chart at the end of a dungeon): a half-decent DC with feated foresight slotted, casting astral shield on cooldown, and using HG whenever appropriate, will be reducing the damage people take by around 30-40% over the course of a dungeon. Potentially more if they're actually good at the class. That's damage that's just...gone. No need to heal it. In good parties with high gearing, you can pretty much get away with yellow astrals most of the time, because it's the mitigation people need, not the heals. People just stand in red and faceroll stuff, and you enable them to do that.

You can concentrate on healing if you like, but as noted we're tick healers not spike healers (though crit divine HWs can come close), so this will be difficult: healing up a dude who stupidly stood in red and got almost instagibbed is hard to do fast, whereas sticking an astral down allows him to stand in red all he wants, and you only have to heal back maybe half the damage.

You can play healbot, buffbot, debuffbot or even mad deeps (if you're weird), but you should always be bringing mitigation in some form or other.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    silverkelt wrote: »
    I posted that a couple months ago, after playing for a bit at end game, healing is fine as designed, whatever deaths occur is usually do to people standing in reds. The game is designed a little different, what I see as class balance issues mostly stems from DCs lack of DPS now, as other classes see astronomic rises in DPS and self healing, the DCs continues to narrow, dont even speak about the upcoming PVP changes.

They could help re-balance by looking at the terrible feats that the DCs have and animation speed, Daunting light for one, a very good encounter has to be times pefectly for use, especially in pvp where movement is key.

Decrease animation time to DL, insta cast while in Divinity, rework some horrible frustating feats (sometimes we just choose the least of the worst to move into paths) SB should be a on the run cast as well. Overall, for a supposed action combat game, all the movement happens after we cast a skill, to avoid being ccd down during pvp.

PVE mode, I dont see much of a issue with the DC, other then the pigeon holing aspects, they could really tweak stuff around some animation speed up and increased DPS rotations may give more of a odd dps utitily function to the class that really lacks. Supposed off controler doesnt work much, as the control skills that any ever bothers with (chains and SB are not very effective in pvp world , sb is ok, but you can be insta chained down before you are close enough to use that skill) and have no use or limited use in pve dds(If im tanking the odd t1 just for kicks, Ill use chains to keep mobs close to me while ranged burns it down).

Silverkelt

This
    The reason why the Astral Shield post is still going on is the fact that it was one of the reasonably good Cleric skills. If ever an action was needed it wasn't on AS, it was fixing some of the useless skills that points have to be wasted in before you can consign them to the never used bin for the rest of the game.
    But no, that might have actually improved the Cleric.
    And now we have the sheer unmitigated disaster of trying to be effective in pvp. Just when you thought the joke couldn't get any worse on the Cleric.
    I went back to mine for a little while just to see if anything had changed..... Warning to other people thinking to try out another class, particularly a GWF - don't. All it does is highlight even further how much of a poor relation the Cleric class is.