test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cleric healing broken since new patch?

Comments

• Options
    mackehmackeh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    xelliz wrote: »
    I've been reading a lot of the topics on Clerics and AS, but I've only experienced this slightly myself. I have a L 60 cleric, but only for a few days, so my gear score is just now 5717 which allowed me to turn Cloak Tower Epic last night. I have not run any other L 60 dungeons period...pre or post patch.

Enjoy it while it lasts it seems .. 9 out of 10 healers I've spoken to in the past few hours are thoroughly annoyed and hopeless about the DC in most T2 content, and especially Castle Never and Dread Vault (not to mention the /facedesk of PvP).

It's quite a journey I've been on since starting this thread .. I've gone from being curious about this issue, to being pissed off. Ahhhhh, the NW experience ...
  • Options
    damianessdamianess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 283 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    mackeh wrote: »
    Enjoy it while it lasts it seems .. 9 out of 10 healers I've spoken to in the past few hours are thoroughly annoyed and hopeless about the DC in most T2 content, and especially Castle Never and Dread Vault (not to mention the /facedesk of PvP).

It's quite a journey I've been on since starting this thread .. I've gone from being curious about this issue, to being pissed off. Ahhhhh, the NW experience ...

It's probably because they got babied of doing content on EZ mode and now they actually have to work for it.

I agree with the clerics role in pvp though. If you have a cleric on your team now, you're basically starting the match 4v5.
  • Options
    osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Tin Foil hat time!

Maybe PWI decided they needed some cash and changed you Clerics there so you are forced to buy those 6 dollar respecs ^.^

Also isn't gold's only function is to buy pots? I haven't seen any other instance I needed gold yet.

Also, I miss games that offered a free respect any time a major change was made to the classes.
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, pots and injury kits.

But on a bad run, you can go through a lot of those, and the costs mount up pretty fast.
  • Options
    mackehmackeh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    damianess wrote: »
    It's probably because they got babied of doing content on EZ mode and now they actually have to work for it.

Hehe .. that's quite a generalisation, and not quite relevant in their case tbh.
    damianess wrote: »
    I agree with the clerics role in pvp though. If you have a cleric on your team now, your basically starting the match 4v5.

Sadly I saw this happen in PvP earlier today .. you're right, it was literally a lost match every time. They're utterly woeful in PvP too now.

morsitans wrote: »
    Yeah, pots and injury kits.

But on a bad run, you can go through a lot of those, and the costs mount up pretty fast.

I still think they need to look at the balance of gold gain in the game .. quite a few people I've spoken to have become quite poor because of the constant wipe-fests they've been involved with since the patch. Not so great ..
  • Options
    bananskruebananskrue Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My impressions so far is that it's not so bad, but the impact of bad players is now much higher (Making pugs a pain).

Before the patch, being a rather decently geared/skilled cleric I could make a group with bad players work. Now I don't have a chance, and as the cleric I usually get the blame. I ran kurrandax twice. The first time I was the solo healer and it worked out fine, the second time we had two clerics and I decided to dps instead. The other cleric kept pestering me to spec heals because people kept dying. I'm not sure if it was his fault or if the group was simply worse but either way we ended up doing double DC for the rest of the run.

Also did a solo DC spider-temple run later that night, and although spider was much harder this time around (holy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> some of the adds stunned me and hit me for 15k when AS was down) we managed in the end.

So to sum up: In total the changes are not bad, if anything it's made the game more challenging, which is good. The biggest problem for me is that they've made content harder, which is rarely popular. If you want harder content, add new content which is hard, don't make previously easy content harder. I disliked going with pugs earlier, now it's worse. And then, of course the lack of customization available now for clerics might get dull in the long run too, but I quite like having to be much more focused while healing now.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    It's baffling .. such diverse views ..

And yeah, I can't even begin to go back into pugs with things as they are - I might as well throw gold down the drain. I wonder if praying at a portable altar will redress the balance?
  • Options
    shandriltlshandriltl Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Come on be serious or knowledgeable about this at least. The lvl 15 cleric comp is still utterly useless. It heals every 30 sec for 20% max hit points (if you're still alive by the time the 10 sec HoT is over). Their healing has not changed at all with this patch. Only their damage which is non-existent.

Cleric gets 1-shot from any attack outside of the weakest of adds. Then you're the rest of the fight wondering why you gave up stats from cat or stone for that.

Only positive about this patch for DC is the agro fix. Now during the fight, you have much more time to think about why you can't keep people up any more. IMO it's a knee-jerk reaction. Stacking should have been fixed but also reducing it's effectiveness by 30% on other players while reducing it by 50% on the DC herself, is way overdone.

From last night's trials and tribulations, I'm wondering how people do with HW for building enough DP to keep throwing both AS and FMF. HW does well single target but I found myself running out of charges way too fast, then I have an encounter power on my bar that's on way longer cooldown than FMF. As far as Astral Seal is concerned, amount of healing felt really weak sauce and I'd give up again some DP building for it vs throwing BotS. I may need to play more with combinations of those but use would seem to be very situational (require lots of strong adds).

Having 4th pip of DP or not seemed irrelevant in big picture ... most fights are about keeping up DP regen vs. DP usage. I'd almost never find myself full on DP or I'd feel like I'm doing wrong. Since DP gains are fixed amounts rather than % of your max DP, having 4th pip or not didn't seem like an issue. I'd rather have another 2% of ethereal boon.

Still impression last night was that despite not being the agro magnet I used to be (a nice relief), the rest of the experience was way less fun, not in small part also due to the Cleanse nerf. Maybe if we had another DC it would have been smoother to keep up AS and HG 100% uptime.

Oh and btw, please fix BoH so that it becomes vaguely relevant in the conversation about changing tactics. Divine version is not worth it. Casting time is kept too long just to make the divine version more attractive. Talk about having things the wrong way around. Cooldown should be cut in half. It heals per sec as much as SB but without the damage that builds huge amounts of DP. Just utter junk. Any DC using it needs to be kicked out of group on sight. Even speccing in it may be seen as suspicious ;).
  • Options
    shandriltlshandriltl Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    osiabunny wrote: »
    Tin Foil hat time!

Maybe PWI decided they needed some cash and changed you Clerics there so you are forced to buy those 6 dollar respecs ^.^

Also isn't gold's only function is to buy pots? I haven't seen any other instance I needed gold yet.

Also, I miss games that offered a free respect any time a major change was made to the classes.

They did offer a free respec this time around. Check your powers panel and click on respec and you should have a free respec.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    shandriltl wrote: »
    Come on be serious or knowledgeable about this at least. The lvl 15 cleric comp is still utterly useless. It heals every 30 sec for 20% max hit points (if you're still alive by the time the 10 sec HoT is over). Their healing has not changed at all with this patch. Only their damage which is non-existent.

Cleric gets 1-shot from any attack outside of the weakest of adds. Then you're the rest of the fight wondering why you gave up stats from cat or stone for that.

Only positive about this patch for DC is the agro fix. Now during the fight, you have much more time to think about why you can't keep people up any more. IMO it's a knee-jerk reaction. Stacking should have been fixed but also reducing it's effectiveness by 30% on other players while reducing it by 50% on the DC herself, is way overdone.

From last night's trials and tribulations, I'm wondering how people do with HW for building enough DP to keep throwing both AS and FMF. HW does well single target but I found myself running out of charges way too fast, then I have an encounter power on my bar that's on way longer cooldown than FMF. As far as Astral Seal is concerned, amount of healing felt really weak sauce and I'd give up again some DP building for it vs throwing BotS. I may need to play more with combinations of those but use would seem to be very situational (require lots of strong adds).

Having 4th pip of DP or not seemed irrelevant in big picture ... most fights are about keeping up DP regen vs. DP usage. I'd almost never find myself full on DP or I'd feel like I'm doing wrong. Since DP gains are fixed amounts rather than % of your max DP, having 4th pip or not didn't seem like an issue. I'd rather have another 2% of ethereal boon.

Still impression last night was that despite not being the agro magnet I used to be (a nice relief), the rest of the experience was way less fun, not in small part also due to the Cleanse nerf. Maybe if we had another DC it would have been smoother to keep up AS and HG 100% uptime.

Oh and btw, please fix BoH so that it becomes vaguely relevant in the conversation about changing tactics. Divine version is not worth it. Casting time is kept too long just to make the divine version more attractive. Talk about having things the wrong way around. Cooldown should be cut in half. It heals per sec as much as SB but without the damage that builds huge amounts of DP. Just utter junk. Any DC using it needs to be kicked out of group on sight. Even speccing in it may be seen as suspicious ;).

Haha .. yeah, you read my mind about the cleric companion .. that one smelt very odd, and actually made me wonder if we were talking about the same game. Shame he didn't want to elaborate on his amazing insight into using it, or that even making the suggestion completely avoided the topic or purpose of this thread. Oh well ..

As for the rest of your post, I just kept thinking that offering one respec token in this rebalance patch might not be enough for some. It seems with such a significant change the flexibility to experiment would be essential (and perhaps not just DCs if further tweaks needed to be made on the fly by other classes or in certain pug set-ups). After teh free respec is used and a DC finds out they can't perform the way they need to, what then? Oh yeah, you have to buy a respec token with real money to do something they should've been able to do in the first place. I still think having to buy respec tokens is particularly crass of PW, as if there's not enough ways to garner real cash from players in the game already.
  • Options
    frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Also they are selling the respeccs at 60% discount this weekend and 50% price after that...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Oh so about $2.40 per respect, and then 3.00 per respect is still cash. :P Never looked into it but Is there a way to convert AD to Zen to get these? ^.^ If so it could be free if you think your time is worthless.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    frarii wrote: »
    Also they are selling the respeccs at 60% discount this weekend and 50% price after that...

Yeah .. that's way too contrived for my taste, especially as it's for such a fundamental aspect of the game (especially after such a significant rebalancing has taken place where some, even after using their free token, still have to make adjustments because of how things have turned out). Having said that though they're obviously a company that want to make money .. no great revelation there .. but for me that one is a step too far.

It would be fascinating (and probably disheartening) to know what % of people who buy those respec tokens in the next few weeks are DCs .. I dread to think .. I hope they know how to use the exchange and are patient simply to change 5 points!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    But yay for free respect. :D

On a serious note, I don't see a big deal about the change, the game will go on, people will get used to the new way of things. And they will nerf something else. Eventually if this continues long enough we'll be to weak to put up a fight against common NPC's :P
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    On a serious note, I don't see a big deal about the change, the game will go on, people will get used to the new way of things. And they will nerf something else. Eventually if this continues long enough we'll be to weak to put up a fight against common NPC's :P

You're probably right .. it's just a shame to see casualties following this latest patch, and so many of them so far. Meh .. I play a CW and still feel bad for them .. their fun is gone, not improved or made more diverse. Seems a shame that such a change can cause such a reaction in people, and at the top end of the game ..

Hopefully PW are listening .. or reacting .. but who knows these days. Sometimes feeding back stuff feels like a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in a church echoing into seemingly endless emptiness hehe :P
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I hear Clerics have a major issue with PVP now though, Forcing diversity will never work though. Unless all skills are the same damage or healing. Then fun skills will be gone at that point. I find it fun to blow up and kill mass amounts of monsters at once, I can understand boss types like those with 3 bar healths, those are fun too as long as there's not 3 of them coming at me :O then I just run away and not bother :P But one or two is perfect fun for me. It's like one big explosion blow up the trash, then juggle the other 2 :D What do clerics do for fun?

If they just separated PVE from PVP then change to pvp part of the game would not effect pve parts, Like what EQ2 did with theirs. each item, and skill had two stats. PVE and PVP
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I hear Clerics have a major issue with PVP now though, Forcing diversity will never work though. Unless all skills are the same damage or healing. Then fun skills will be gone at that point. I find it fun to blow up and kill mass amounts of monsters at once, I can understand boss types like those with 3 bar healths, those are fun too as long as there's not 3 of them coming at me :O then I just run away and not bother :P But one or two is perfect fun for me. It's like one big explosion blow up the trash, then juggle the other 2 :D What do clerics do for fun?

If they just separated PVE from PVP then change to pvp part of the game would not effect pve parts, Like what EQ2 did with theirs. each item, and skill had two stats. PVE and PVP

Yeah, sadly I'd read the same .. seems like PvP is a far worse problem. Thing is though I think most people would like either the capability to have a dual spec they can switch between, or a more efficient way to respec. Perhaps then, in the case of DCs, they'd be more comfortable with the obligatory boring spec to heal in PvE (which seems the main solution right now .. sadly), and a more varied one that works well in PvP and solo PvE stuff. Either way, the abilities need to be fun to use, or somewhat diverse, or the damage needs to be looked at, or players need time to adjust to it all .. or pretty much all of that lol.

I simply can't help but feel that we're in for further tweaks, and hopefully sooner rather than later before more much needed DCs quit or reroll - they're a scarce commodity at times!

Also .. is it even possible to rebalance a 'rebalance' patch without opening a wormhole to hell?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    starbigamo wrote: »
    finally i feel really useful in Dungeons now! (GF here)

Hehe .. well there were definitely upsides to the patch for sure .. GFs being one of them. I wish it was better for all though ..
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Wth .. just logged on and a few other DCs have quit or re-rolled. Man oh man ......
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As a tanky GF I noticed a huge difference in damage. Seems like the "red" hits much harder than it used to. I used to not have to block ANYTHING in T2s and just DPS away and now I will actually die if I dont block every now and then. I also noticed our healer was not able to keep me up as much and we had to completely change our boss mechanics for fights. Oerall, they should have done this before OB. I think its a good change. Now if they could just find a way to make DCs happy ^^
  • Options
    pnellesenpnellesen Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ayroux wrote: »
    Now if they could just find a way to make DCs happy ^^

2 ways to make me happy-ish:

1. GET RID OF THE IDIOTIC RIGHTEOUSNESS "BUFF". I'm not going to buy more potions no matter what happens, so it's freakin' pointless. Besides, shouldn't the players being relied upon the most to keep everyone alive have more gold than everyone else??? Seems fair to me ;)
    2. Boost something we can use when AS is on cooldown. Maybe Bastion of Health, or make Forgemasters Flame proc on multiple mobs rather than just one mob (LOTS of good suggestions in other threads on what they could boost).
  • Options
    cael13cael13 Member Posts: 78
    edited June 2013
    pnellesen wrote: »
    2 ways to make me happy-ish:

1. GET RID OF THE IDIOTIC RIGHTEOUSNESS "BUFF". I'm not going to buy more potions no matter what happens, so it's freakin' pointless. Besides, shouldn't the players being relied upon the most to keep everyone alive have more gold than everyone else??? Seems fair to me ;)
    2. Boost something we can use when AS is on cooldown. Maybe Bastion of Health, or make Forgemasters Flame proc on multiple mobs rather than just one mob (LOTS of good suggestions in other threads on what they could boost).

Guys seriously with the whole Righteousness deal. We do NOT take damage anymore in PvE so why do you care about healing yourself?? Secondly every single dungeon is completeable and heals work jsut fine. In what other MMO do you have 100% healing uptime like the old AS. I agree pugs are going to wipe and wipe and wipe until they get better/change their playstyle but thats party of playing an MMO. Just because the game mechanics changed and now you need to change as well doesnt mean the world is ending. Any DC that quits/rerolls is just letting things get the best of them instead of living up to the change/challenge. I wont say all of the DC's that quit/reroll suck but I bet a large portion of them do. All of the clerics I know love the changes and it is really baffling that there are so many complaining.....
  • Options
    deacon777deacon777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Wth .. just logged on and a few other DCs have quit or re-rolled. Man oh man ......

Good, less bad clerics = win
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    cael13 wrote: »
    All of the clerics I know love the changes and it is really baffling that there are so many complaining.....

Well that was the main drive of my original post .. I just don't understand the disparity. It's odd ..
  • Options
    kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As a lvl 60 GF with a 13,206 GS I am glad to see many of these changes. I think EVERY GF and GWF was frustrated in the fact that no group wanted them in their group... DC's were first desire, CW's second and TR's third for literally ALL Epic runs. This just wasn't how the Devs envisioned it working and I am glad they tweaked it to work as planned: ONE of EACH class.

Of course Warlocks will mess with that mojo again, making CW's the "optional" choice, but I anticipate it working out at some point.
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
  • Options
    deacon777deacon777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well that was the main drive of my original post .. I just don't understand the disparity. It's odd ..

Clerics that can play their class probably love the changes. Because it means we dont have to spend all our time kiting and can oh I dont know HEAL MAYBE?

Bad clerics that now have their easy AS crutch slightly nerfed are claiming its the end of the world because now they cant rely on their one single button push to make anyone an instant tank.

Same **** different day.

You have people who are competent (laughable since this game is so easy to begin with) and those that struggle, no competent healer is mad at these changes. I can say that nothing really has changed in the way I personally play my cleric other than its less of a hectic affair as im not tanking AND healing anymore.

People need to L2P imo.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited June 2013
    pnellesen wrote: »
    2. Boost something we can use when AS is on cooldown. Maybe Bastion of Health

Bastion does need a buff IMO, but even as it sits it's an extremely underrated skill. The feat that gives it a +10% dmg resistance boost is really damned good. Throw it up when AS is on cooldown, the buff will last til AS is back up. Use Glow for your third encounter to weaken enemies at the same time. Use the Seal debuff + the Brand debuff to further reduce dmg opponents deal by an additional 10%.
  • Options
    bardstale001bardstale001 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18
    edited June 2013
    As I said in my own post (which looks deleted now) it was a big NERF and a big F'you to us Clerics.
    Also in an apparent push to sell these res scrolls your chances of instantly dying are much higher.
    Before there was much more of a chance of just going unconscious, now you have maybe one down every 20min or so; anymore then that then that it's it's a run back or worse a lock out.

Don't know what they where thinking here when already we were mostly a support class. I personally don't see my self playing anymore. It's just not much fun at all with this nerf now..
  • Options
    bardstale001bardstale001 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18
    edited June 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    Bastion does need a buff IMO, but even as it sits it's an extremely underrated skill. The feat that gives it a +10% dmg resistance boost is really damned good. Throw it up when AS is on cooldown, the buff will last til AS is back up. Use Glow for your third encounter to weaken enemies at the same time. Use the Seal debuff + the Brand debuff to further reduce dmg opponents deal by an additional 10%.

And yea another thing. You would think with the radical changes they made in this nerf patch they (the developer) would have been at least considerate enough to give us a free respec as at minimal to perhaps change our builds to match.