test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

High Vizier Set BIS Next Patch?

gunbahahagunbahaha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 139
edited June 2013 in The Library
I decided to do some testing on the PTR to investigate High Vizier since I was able to pick up the whole set for about 200k on live. I initially intended to simply find out which control abilities don't contribute to the stacks (Chill Strike and Icy Terrain) and if there's any obvious way to easily maintain 3 stacks on a boss (there isn't).

It seems like what the set is actually doing is increasing your defence by 450 per stack (this is stated) and reducing the target mitigation by 10% per stack (this is not stated). This means that keeping a 3 stack on any given target is actually equivalent to having Ray of Enfeeblement up permanently, as it functions as a mitigation reduction and not an armor penetration mechanic, and that the enemy does not need to actually have any mitigation for it to work.
AHxYYn3.png
YKdDAX5.png
2KTxIeA.png

The icing on the cake is that the set also gets me up to 2k defense (an increase of 10% mitigation), something that might be particularly useful since, as anyone who has tried to do PvE on the PTR knows, CW will most likely have agro on everything.

It's also evidently the best group-setting set as its hard to turn down a 30% mitigation debuff that your entire party can utilize, especially since Shadow Weaver is getting nerfed to borderline uselessness (30% crit severity with a 20% uptime?).

It should, in theory, be possible to stack up -100% mitigation on any one target (boss or PVP) even after the nerf to ray. Something to think about. Curious if anyone else has any ideas on how to build for PVP/PVE next patch and if this set might be the way to do it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• honoraryorangehonoraryorange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Wait, where do you get 20% uptime? It says it procs from encounter powers, and you should be able to cast those back to back pretty much forever.
  • gunbahahagunbahaha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 139
    edited June 2013
    Wait, where do you get 20% uptime? It says it procs from encounter powers, and you should be able to cast those back to back pretty much forever.

The set has some kind of awkward ICD. If you watch the stacks you'll see what I mean. As far as I am aware it is not possible to actually keep up Shadow Weaver 100% of the time, not even close.

EDIT: It seems possible to keep it up on dummies. I wonder what causes it to stop working in dungeons randomly.

EDIT2: Nevermind, was able to replicate it on dummies. It seems if you let the stacks fall off for a second or two it won't let you reapply them for quite a while.

EDIT3: Image of the bug here: Click
  • honoraryorangehonoraryorange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Interesting, that explains a lot actually... hmm well I have a High Vizier set good to go, though I'm broke at the moment from sitting on all this gear :) (Have Greater Vorpal and Greater Plaguefire too)
  • copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I realized that the same day the update Notes came out, and went to the AH and got a complete set for under 150k, half the cost of the Shadow weaver Armor piece lol. I wanted to hoard a few more sets speculating on them sky rocketing, but there were over 50pcs for each slot and I figured it wouldnt go up any time soon. Today I am checking the AH, and the cheapest Vizier set is 350k, and we're still 10 days away from the update. So I am kicking myself over and over for not buying a few sets. I am pretty sure by next week they will be within the 450-500k range.

I am not sure about calling them BIS, but still very much up there in terms of value.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
    edited June 2013
    Hrmm that's a lot of missing crit from Shadow Weaver though. I guess it'll be time to give up Vorpal and put Greater Plaguefire back in. Should be epic debuffing for the group that way.
    edited June 2013
    UPDATE: LOL check the prices on High Vizier's 500-600k for the set! almost 4 times as much as it was 3 days ago.
  • schulz87schulz87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    people talk about vizier about the bonus set (4), what about stat wise? would weaver still contribute to best stat or magelord? how useful is deflection rating on a CW?
    edited June 2013
    schulz87 wrote: »
    people talk about vizier about the bonus set (4), what about stat wise? would weaver still contribute to best stat or magelord? how useful is deflection rating on a CW?

It all depends what's going to end up on the live servers after the update. Based on notes, Astral Shield is nerfed dramatically, and threat/aggro is being distributed on the whole party. Prioritizing stats for CW with these changes wont be the same. It will be a mistake to go all out offensive stats.
    edited June 2013
    yeah i guess so, how about the deflection stats? is that any use of us CW taking chance to deflect damage rather than to reduce them significantly by using magelord set?
  • dameion5dameion5 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Magelord forever, gets much more survivabilty imho. And the 4th set High Vizier buff it's just with control powers, what if i want to use Chill on Tab for clear trash ? (Ok that's not the case, EF in Tab forever) But it means you have to use always the same 4 skill... Let's talk about Spellplague where you need a must Repel and Shield for knockback... Do i throw my Vizier down with the mobs i'm pulling ?
    edited June 2013
    dameion5 wrote: »
    Magelord forever, gets much more survivabilty imho. And the 4th set High Vizier buff it's just with control powers, what if i want to use Chill on Tab for clear trash ? (Ok that's not the case, EF in Tab forever) But it means you have to use always the same 4 skill... Let's talk about Spellplague where you need a must Repel and Shield for knockback... Do i throw my Vizier down with the mobs i'm pulling ?

wow you got a point, I barely notice the vizier buff being CONTROL power only, oops, well its so much OPriced now, but I guess the fix to weaver makes all these 3 t2 armors more viable and diff according to playstyle, hate when people argue which is better than which. AND I think magelord would be popular too when they change the POWER stat to something better than stacking arpen stats
    edited June 2013
    dameion5 wrote: »

Chill Strike, especially on TAB, stacks 3x the set bonus of Vizier. So that's 1340defense every time you use Chill Strike, not to mention the debuff you throw on all the targets you are hitting.
    When EF is in tab, like in CN or Spellplague, then you also have Icy Terrain, which will also give you 3x the set bonus of Vizier. I just came out of CN right now. all bosses, including Dracolich were a 1 shot attempt. No wipes, no double Astral Shields, 29mil damage. Love my vizier.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    UPDATE: LOL check the prices on High Vizier's 500-600k for the set! almost 4 times as much as it was 3 days ago.

Weirder than that, I picked up all the bits for sub 100k per part, other than the feet, which were 180k or so. I shall refrain from foot fetishist jokes :)

I have the set in the bank though, along with some nice rings and a neck, and passable MH and OH. Still need gemmed pants and shirt, and I am good to go, adding enchants as they drop/drops sell so I can afford them more easily. My little CW won't be 60 until after the patch drops as I will be away until the day after, but I suppose I will give any launch rush/infrastructure panic time to die down a bit :)

Stats look nice, bonus is looking really nice from that you guys are posting, I am looking forward to seeing it in action.
  • scannjerscannjer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 85
    edited June 2013
    Well to me it looks like this set bonus is bugged as SW one was :) If that's the case, then maybe they will fix it, before it goes live?:p
    Just something to think about! :)

That's just to much mitigation in my opinion... and is not even stated in the item set bonus!
  • n0slet3n0slet3 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    One thing I've noticed is I was wearing Archmage Robes/Arms, and Gladiator Boots/Hat for the double 2 piece set bonuses. I switched to full High Vizier, saw my power go up and my gear score go up when I equipped it yet I seem to hit for a tiny fraction of what I did before equipping it. Not sure what is up with that. Nothing has changed with my build. But re-equiping the other pieces on an average heroic dungeon I will do 1 million more damage on average over the course of the dungeon with my tier 1 equipped. And I never seem to notice my defense going up in my character profile no matter how long I use control powers on combat dummies. Not sure what is going on. But I've seriously considered going back to T1 until I can get shadow weaver. I have a friend that has the exact gear setup I do when I was tier 1 and he completely smokes me in damage using the exact same build and skills on his bars.
    edited June 2013
    n0slet3 wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed is I was wearing Archmage Robes/Arms, and Gladiator Boots/Hat for the double 2 piece set bonuses. I switched to full High Vizier, saw my power go up and my gear score go up when I equipped it yet I seem to hit for a tiny fraction of what I did before equipping it. Not sure what is up with that. Nothing has changed with my build. But re-equiping the other pieces on an average heroic dungeon I will do 1 million more damage on average over the course of the dungeon with my tier 1 equipped. And I never seem to notice my defense going up in my character profile no matter how long I use control powers on combat dummies. Not sure what is going on. But I've seriously considered going back to T1 until I can get shadow weaver. I have a friend that has the exact gear setup I do when I was tier 1 and he completely smokes me in damage using the exact same build and skills on his bars.

Currently only Chill Strike and Icy Terrain proc the Vizier bonus. And when it procs, it is 3x stacks what the tooltip states.
    edited June 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    Currently only Chill Strike and Icy Terrain proc the Vizier bonus. And when it procs, it is 3x stacks what the tooltip states.

I thought EF also proc'd it? Are you sure it is only those two spells? And always 3 stacks regardless of spell mastery?
  • iwontpostderpiwontpostderp Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm having different results in the Live Server (haven't tested in the PTS), my damage is actually DECREASING when the set bonus triggers.

I tested the damage with and without the set bonus.

Magic Missile deals 700 damage to test dummy without the set buff.
    Then when the set bonus triggers, the same magic missile deals 500 damage.

And I'm seeing a brutal decrease in damage in other powers too, like steal time critting for 3500 damage with the High Vizier's set, while with the gladiator set it could crit for 5500 damage.
    edited June 2013
    I'm having different results in the Live Server (haven't tested in the PTS), my damage is actually DECREASING when the set bonus triggers.

I tested the damage with and without the set bonus.

Magic Missile deals 700 damage to test dummy without the set buff.
    Then when the set bonus triggers, the same magic missile deals 500 damage.

And I'm seeing a brutal decrease in damage in other powers too, like steal time critting for 3500 damage with the High Vizier's set, while with the gladiator set it could crit for 5500 damage.

The sets are still bugged on Live. No one is arguing that it is better than the currently bugged Shadow weaver. It's more of PTS findings.
    I thought EF also proc'd it? Are you sure it is only those two spells? And always 3 stacks regardless of spell mastery?

And yes, my bad, EF does trigger it. You get 3x stacks all the time, except with Chill Strike if it is not in Mastery.
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    it is confirmed that the the bonus applies after ARP, and works regardless. so if you max ArP you still get the 20% or so increase from high vizier too. (not sure if it stacks with plaguefire.

Also.its bugged in live, it GIVEs the enemies more defense, and you too. rather than decreasing their defense, its the 4-set bonus of liability. Soon should change, i grabbed my full high vizier for only 100k total. now the prices have rocketed.

Shadow weaver grants 30% crit severity, and some life steal for melee members (close range) of your target.

High vizier, grants 20-25% extra damage for anyone hitting the target you effected.

I think its up to yourself to decide what is best, and what isnt. Shadowweaver offers more crit, alot more. 2k-ish. High vizier offers more power and recovery but no crit at all.

I think it depends how high you can raise your crit/recovery/arp outside of these sets, to determine what would be most effective.

for damage i would go arp and take vizier because it doesnt have a range penalty,

For group, i dont know. shadoweaver can help rogue/gwf/gf with survivability and give them better crits.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • bongstickbongstick Member Posts: 83
    edited June 2013
    so what is the duration on the 4 piece ? 3-4-5 seconds? Or does it last untill the target dies?

Also how does it work in an AOE setting? So far people say that Chillstrike on TAB gives 3 stacks. So if you hit 5 targets, do you get 15 stacks of 450 defence?
    edited June 2013
    No the max is 3 stacks for a total of 1350def.
    Chill Strike on TAB = 3x
    Icy Terrain on multiple targets = 3 stacks
    EF on TAB = 3 stacks

It actually lasts 6 seconds which is pretty nice. So with just Chill Strike, you can pretty much have 80% uptime.
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i heard steal time grants 3 stacks too (to all targets) after channeling. Needs confirmation though.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • gunbahahagunbahaha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 139
    edited June 2013
    grimah wrote: »
    Shadow weaver grants 30% crit severity, and some life steal for melee members (close range) of your target.

High vizier, grants 20-25% extra damage for anyone hitting the target you effected.

I think its up to yourself to decide what is best, and what isnt. Shadowweaver offers more crit, alot more. 2k-ish. High vizier offers more power and recovery but no crit at all.

Yeah, this would be the case if the set bonuses did what they said. The fact that Shadow Weaver randomly locks itself out of applying stacks for long periods of time is a serious issue. I'm unsure what the actual uptime is in a real dungeon since there is no reliable way to test.

On top of that, getting up stacks after the patch might actually be difficult - I'm not sure Conduit is going to apply multiple stacks per cast any more as it has been changed to a DOT mechanic. AOE should still be a safe way to build them up but do we have a non-control AOE that is worth using?

High Vizier has a similar issue with trying to maximize stacks, although the usage of spells like Entangling/Shield/Steal Time/Repel is fairly common already, and you only really need to maintain one set of stacks (as opposed to two with Shadow Weaver).
  • kidbskidbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 294
    edited June 2013
    gunbahaha wrote: »
    Yeah, this would be the case if the set bonuses did what they said. The fact that Shadow Weaver randomly locks itself out of applying stacks for long periods of time is a serious issue. I'm unsure what the actual uptime is in a real dungeon since there is no reliable way to test.

On top of that, getting up stacks after the patch might actually be difficult - I'm not sure Conduit is going to apply multiple stacks per cast any more as it has been changed to a DOT mechanic. AOE should still be a safe way to build them up but do we have a non-control AOE that is worth using?

High Vizier has a similar issue with trying to maximize stacks, although the usage of spells like Entangling/Shield/Steal Time/Repel is fairly common already, and you only really need to maintain one set of stacks (as opposed to two with Shadow Weaver).

I use sudden storm to build my shadow weave stacks.
  • kaasdoekkaasdoek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Does Conduit of Ice on TAB proc the 4 piece?
  • crystal892fcrystal892f Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    gunbahaha wrote: »
    <pics I can't quote>
    I'm sorry for not really contributing to this thread, but I have a comprehension question, since I never understood this, so please help me:
    What exactly does this
    "Magic Missile deals 698 (537)"
    mean? A total damage of 698 + 537 = 1235? Is the first number the basic MM damage or is there something added to it? What does the number in parenthesis mean?

A second thing I wanna ask is:
    How do you know which effects are active on a target? As far as I know you can't "Alt -> mouse hover" over the symbols on enemies like on yourself to see the effect name, duration and such.
  • adozuadozu Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    537 is the true damage, 698 is the actual damage modified by damage resistance. not sure however how it relaly works because either mitigation or defense modifies the true damage rather than the effective output... in short it's kinda messy.
  • luckyriskluckyrisk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Anyone test to see exactly which abilities tabbed or not proc the passive? The full list of skills whose descriptions suggest they are control powers is: Chill Strike (stuns in tab and out of tab), Entangling Force (holds), Icy Terrain (immobilizes), Ice Rays (immobilizes), and Steal Time (slows & stuns); maybe Repel (knockback) and Shield (knockback).

I'm interested in picking up a set, but since the price has increased I would like to know which of these skills works first if anyone has tested them all.
  • axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    luckyrisk wrote: »
    Anyone test to see exactly which abilities tabbed or not proc the passive? The full list of skills whose descriptions suggest they are control powers is: Chill Strike (stuns in tab and out of tab), Entangling Force (holds), Icy Terrain (immobilizes), Ice Rays (immobilizes), and Steal Time (slows & stuns); maybe Repel (knockback) and Shield (knockback).

I'm interested in picking up a set, but since the price has increased I would like to know which of these skills works first if anyone has tested them all.

Yes: Shield, Choke, Steal Time, Repel
    No: Icy Terrain (sucks i use this in my main cc rotation, its definitely control)
    Untested: Rest

Also tried some dailies, none seem to proc it.. Blackhole is like the ultimate control so odd it doesn't.
    -Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
    -Epic Dread Vault Crushed.
    Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)