Install Arc
Options

The economy does not seem to be too healthy

Comments

• Options
    zepheazephea Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    I am hoping for more, and more frequent, Zen store additions. This is another excellent tool that Cryptic/PWE have to stimulate the economy.

So pets and costumes?
    ~*~ Sparkles! ~*~

The MMO may change but the inventory tetris stays the same.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    zephea wrote: »
    So pets and costumes?

Anything that's attractive enough for people to want to exchange AD to Zen.

For me personally, it would be costumes, race change token, new lockbox contents (but I don't think the current ones have been exhausted yet), a healer companion, cat mount. Stuff like that. :)
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    johnygwapojohnygwapo Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zephea wrote: »
    I don't see a lot of complaining really. Just discussion really of sinks and sources. I readily own that I have not studied economy and am grateful to those here who have shared their knowledge.

But hey if you want to be supercilious about the fact I haven't studied it, feel free. I can't see a reason why I can't utilise a forum such as this and a nice simplistic system such as this example to learn something

might as well change your words. you started a thread that is somewhat conclusive. Before you make such thread better read and observe the environment thoroughly first.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The problem with this is what happens when the supply of the market is artificially added upon by what should be an impossible number and at a rate that was never supposed to happen?

Is that still working as intended?

so what do you really want? what do you mean by "artificially added", does that really exist now? O.o
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    johnygwapo wrote: »
    might as well change your words. you started a thread that is somewhat conclusive. Before you make such thread better read and observe the environment thoroughly first.

The thread was started by madqhue. Threads are more than just their OP.
    ~*~ Sparkles! ~*~

• Options
    karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    blaumker wrote: »
    The actual, true income, weighted across the whole base, is 24k maximum per player, per day. The exception to this is icons(this AD comes refined, if I remember correctly).

A one million AD item is the equivalent of 41 and 2/3 days worth of income for a single person. The number of people willing to spend that will continue to decrease at an extremely rapid rate---and fall off almost completely very shortly after the founder pack is discontinued(I would expect it will be at release or shortly before/after).

This isn't right. You forgot that AH sales pay in refined diamonds, so the potential earning power is far more than the 24k we are allowed to refine. I'm pretty new here too, so for all I know there are other ways apart from AH and Icons to gain already refined AD.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    karitr wrote: »
    This isn't right. You forgot that AH sales pay in refined diamonds, so the potential earning power is far more than the 24k we are allowed to refine. I'm pretty new here too, so for all I know there are other ways apart from AH and Icons to gain already refined AD.

It's probably a glitch but apparently if you get AD from Professions while using the gateway they are refined. Proabably not much in a day - maybe 2000 or 4000 a day?

I haven't quite got the economic point of refined versus unrefined ADs and why it matters. I did notice a thread go by asking that same questions /goes to search...
    ~*~ Sparkles! ~*~

• Options
    edited June 2013
    maybe unrefined AD is reserved for another purpose soon.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    johnygwapo wrote: »
    maybe unrefined AD is reserved for another purpose soon.

wiki just says time-gating it to 24k rough per day. Seems odd to me as you get more than that from AH sales.

Participated in an amusing AD sharing recently -because you can't trade directly you post an item of minimum value on the AH for 10AD (lowest amount for the smallesst cut) and then a buyout of whatever value you are trying to receive off another player. I suspect that is 'money laundering'? Or maybe not reading wikipedia.

The odd things you try to learn when you play computer games :D
    ~*~ Sparkles! ~*~

• Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013

But remember - the diamonds you get from the AH aren't "new" diamonds in the economy.... it's just shifting stuff back and forth between players.

Imagine this.... you have a pool of $1000 between ten people. They can buy stuff off each other (shifting the money around), but 10% of it disappears each time. They can buy soda from a machine (vendors taking $ out of the pool). They can color their hair (appearance change, taking $ out of the pool). After a few days of this, the total $1000 has been reduced to $1000-X. Countering this, they get handed $Y each a day (invoking), and can work odd jobs for $Z a day (dailies/leadership).

If the money they make leave the system (X) is more than the money they bring in to the system (Y+Z, times people), then the overall money in the system goes down. As the amount of $ goes down, it becomes more "valuable" (since it's scarce).

So that's one reason that things become cheaper on the AH - there's less money to buy them with.
    The other two reasons are plentiful supply (more characters sitting at 60 farming stuff to sell),
    and lower demand (as those people sitting at 60 get geared up, there's less people to buy the stuff that's being farmed).

Oh, and this is also part of why...
    It's hilarious really.I'm leveling up my cleric ever so slowly and whenever I go to the auction house to shop for any replacement gear I hardly find anything better or at all good,yet I check out the vast and seemingly endless supply of purple equipment on offer for a pittance.

...this happens.

There aren't lots of people "sitting" in the mid levels farming gear to stock the AH. Heck, most people probably just vendor all the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> they get - I know I've never bothered stocking the AH with the greens I find, why bother? Meanwhile the population at 60 just gets larger, and they never "level past it". They just hang out at cap, farming more and more stuff. Of course there's more "endgame" gear in the AH than leveling gear. It makes total sense.
  • Options
    joewoodcutter1joewoodcutter1 Member Posts: 100
    edited June 2013
    The economy is healthy, the OP just expected to get more AD for his stuff on the AH.

Supply and demand....
  • Options
    erethizon1erethizon1 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Your simple logic is flawed just like the exploits that allowed people to get large amounts of top tier items and flood the market with them. Thats what screwed the market up. The market isnt working as planned unless your implying that cryptic wants us to use the exploits then.

I guess the real question is whether we believe it is better for T2 gear to be really expensive (so few people will ever bother buying it) or really cheap (so everyone that wants it can buy it). I tend to believe that having more people enjoy a particular feature (in this case T2 gear) is better so I prefer that it be cheaper.

Honestly, why would something that drops in unlimited quantity simply for running the only content there is to run at end game be more expensive than a crafting tool that can only be acquired from the cash shop? There is no reason to expect end game gear to be expensive except at first when there are only a few pieces of it up for sale. As more of it drops and more people get what they need the prices are going to keep going down. This is as it should be. Those that must have the best immediately pay through the nose for it and those that wait get it at a good price. The longer someone is willing to wait, the lower the price.
  • Options
    dethcorddethcord Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2013
    (Haven't read the thread)

Prices on t2 pieces are low because the content is easy itself, and it's only defined if people are lazy or not to run certain instances. For example you can do temple of the spider 4 times within delves without exploiting and god knows how much with using the well-known exploit, so chest prices go down because this instance won't take much time anyway, however instances like spellplague are more or less exploit-proff due to the "phase" nature - you can't skip gatekeepers etc., so even the best shortcuts won't allow you to walk this instance through too fast, but content is still easy and you can do 3 spellplagues within delves time easy.

However there is no way gear actually leaves the game. It can't be broken while refining like it would be in Ragnarok Online, Lineage II, Aion, etc., it can't be worn off or anything - so you'll get more and more gear ingame, people will eventually gear up and then only a little group of new player will be left to buy those sets, but chances are they don't have much AD, so prices go down because people want to sell it for doesn't-matter-how-much AD, and those newbies are the only ones who will buy it, but for little AD.

It's pretty simple, and it has nothing to do with exploits actually, it's just flawed game design.

Make endgame content really hard, like WoW's vanilla naxxramas - and you'll have some expencive things to buy and sell. As it is now - everyone and their moms walked CN through, it can be done with 3 man from start to finish, this dungeon is not even remotely hard, so it's not surprising it's gear is getting cheaper and cheaper every day, and one more time - it's still expencive not because CN is unexploitable (it is), not because it's hard, but because it takes you the most time of this dull mob killing process you have to endure, which is fun for the fist 10 runs, but not so much after that.

So. it's pretty simple.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    charja wrote: »
    It's not the only reason. The ad from founders pack as well as other means is rapidly vanishing with the AH ad cut. Ad is exiting the market faster than it's entering it. It's not just 1 factor that's involved in here, stop oversimplifying everything.

This is what we are really seeing. In the first few weeks the market was flooded with AD from founders packs and AD duping exploits (like the auction house bug that resulted in caturday). For all this time AD has been grossly undervalued as people had acquired it very easily. Now that much of the founder AD has been spent and many AD duping exploits have been fixed we are starting to see the value of AD rise. Rough AD (which is the only true source of AD other than jeweled idols) is hard to acquire in large quantity and people are starting to be less willing to part with huge amounts of it for one simple piece of gear that will inevitably be replaced when new content comes out. Crafting tools are forever, but gear is just a temporary buff that gets thrown out when you get better gear.
  • Options
    cyresofbsgocyresofbsgo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    But remember - the diamonds you get from the AH aren't "new" diamonds in the economy.... it's just shifting stuff back and forth between players.

Imagine this.... you have a pool of $1000 between ten people. They can buy stuff off each other (shifting the money around), but 10% of it disappears each time. They can buy soda from a machine (vendors taking $ out of the pool). They can color their hair (appearance change, taking $ out of the pool). After a few days of this, the total $1000 has been reduced to $1000-X. Countering this, they get handed $Y each a day (invoking), and can work odd jobs for $Z a day (dailies/leadership).

If the money they make leave the system (X) is more than the money they bring in to the system (Y+Z, times people), then the overall money in the system goes down. As the amount of $ goes down, it becomes more "valuable" (since it's scarce).

So that's one reason that things become cheaper on the AH - there's less money to buy them with.
    The other two reasons are plentiful supply (more characters sitting at 60 farming stuff to sell),
    and lower demand (as those people sitting at 60 get geared up, there's less people to buy the stuff that's being farmed).

Oh, and this is also part of why...

...this happens.

There aren't lots of people "sitting" in the mid levels farming gear to stock the AH. Heck, most people probably just vendor all the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> they get - I know I've never bothered stocking the AH with the greens I find, why bother? Meanwhile the population at 60 just gets larger, and they never "level past it". They just hang out at cap, farming more and more stuff. Of course there's more "endgame" gear in the AH than leveling gear. It makes total sense.

long rant... deleted it, and instead will say....

prices are dropping and will continue to drop, only things that will sell will be things that cost less than 24KAD per day it takes for the buyer to grind it them-self.

OB started 39 days ago, and at 24K AD a day the max would be under 960K AD... but you have to ask... how many that have been playing from start on their main, has not reached lvl 60, and already got gear?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The problem with this is what happens when the supply of the market is artificially added upon by what should be an impossible number and at a rate that was never supposed to happen?

Is that still working as intended?

I guess it depends on how much time the developers really spent coming up with what is "intended." Basically people play these games in one of two ways, they buy their gear or they earn their gear. People that buy gear at auction don't really care what it costs. It may take them 1 day, 10 days, or 10 weeks to earn enough money to buy their gear but they will grind and purchase it and will be happy. Sure they prefer lower prices, but really they accept whatever the prices are. If the prices are constantly bobbing up and down it might annoy them but prices that are stable or moving in a steady direction (such as constantly downward) are easy to deal with.

The other group of people prefer to earn their own gear and don't worry about what prices are at auction because they won't be buying the gear anyway.

Frankly the developers don't need to spend much time coming up with "intentions" for what gear is supposed to cost because everyone is going to get their gear the way they most want to anyway. Whether T2 gear costs 1 million AD or 1 AD really makes no difference.

The only reason we are seeing so much complaining is because people were used to getting 1 million AD and now they are getting 20,000. If prices had not been so grossly inflated to begin with (mostly due to founders having no concept of the value of AD and thus being willing to part with it like it were easy to get) the current sellers would not be so upset about how much prices have fallen. Prices have fallen because the items were never worth anything close to what they were originally selling for. An increase in supply (partly from exploits) has further caused the price to drop, but honestly, why does T2 gear exist? Does it exist for people to play with or does it exist for people to get rich off of? If prices are low, people get to play with it. If prices are high, some people get rich and most people simply never get the gear. Games were meant to be played and gear was meant to be used. Low prices result in more people using the gear.
  • Options
    niburu2012niburu2012 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    T2 gear wasn't 20k a piece a couple of weeks ago. Just wait a couple more weeks you will see the price of CN gear plummeted like T2.

More players are reaching level 60 by the day. More players are getting experienced in running CN. More CN pieces will be produced just like T2 and T1 and they would not be any easier to be taken out of the game than T1 and T2.

As this game progresses new content and better gear will be added, veteran players know that from all the other MMOs. CN gear will be <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> later. It is just a matter of time. I don't think there is a need for the invisible hand to move the market now. The market will correct itself very soon.
  • Options
    swamprobswamprob Member Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The business model of this game, where you can buy everything on AH, is not good for any game in long run.
    Because people are selling/buying things all the time process of getting the best in slot gear is incredibly short. It is lot faster than it would be if we had Bound on Pickup gear.

BoP would ruin this game. I am SO glad one MMO doesn't force me to do un-fun dungeon runs to progress my character. Is it some sort of MMO law that says "all MMOs must force grouping as the only way to progress at endgame"?
  • Options
    karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    @Kira. Yeah I get they aren't 'new' but they are in circulation and even with small AD expenses and AH tax they will diminish at a slower rate than the money coming in.
    The economy is healthy, the OP just expected to get more AD for his stuff on the AH.

Supply and demand....

I agree the economy is healthy Joe. From the perspective of someone only arriving when OB launched, I am pleasantly surprised that at cap I can gear up much faster than first glances made it appear. It isn't a bad thing if gear it self doesn't drive the economy as it means players aren't kept from content. But all is not lost; if the OP wants to make money, maybe he or she should look to the enchantment market instead?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    and even with small AD expenses and AH tax they will diminish at a slower rate than the money coming in.

Appearance changes, feat respecs, etc.... are not "small AD expenses". Heck, the AH cut on anything 100k+ isn't minor. And I don't think many people are coming close to the 24k daily refining. AD is going down faster than it's coming in.
  • Options
    ravenouzxravenouzx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hey cryptic since we are all at the bottom with little to no AD atm could you break the game again and maybe make mages 1 shot mobs for a week this time?

just until we can get back on our feet because farming AD any other way in this game is a joke

Im on test and i cant even respec to test the new abilities that u nerf/buffed/fixed/broke

u call that testing??

yawn
  • Options
    niburu2012niburu2012 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Appearance changes, feat respecs, etc.... are not "small AD expenses". Heck, the AH cut on anything 100k+ isn't minor. And I don't think many people are coming close to the 24k daily refining. AD is going down faster than it's coming in.

When Gauntlgyrm opens they will be a lot more Daily AD flowing into the system. Also, don't discount that 2% AH listing fee. Suppose some greedy merchants trying to list a piece of CN gear for 6 million AD, the chance is he will learn his lesson by losing a hefty 120k AD 5 days later since he will highly likely be undercut by many other sellers. He will have to sell anyway since he can only wear 1 piece of that equipment and he knows price will drop to the appropriate level acceptable by the general public.

The economy is fine and working as expected.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    niburu2012 wrote: »
    When Gauntlgyrm opens they will be a lot more Daily AD flowing into the system.

More, yes. A lot more, I don't know. It means a greater time investment than now and I speculate that not all people do all dailies every day. Those who do, and are willing to do more, probably have multiple characters as is. (Personally, I cherry pick dailies among eight characters, though the majority of my daily ADs come from Leadership.)

But as you said, the economy is perfectly fine and "what is" proved all the doomsaying wrong.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    avidlurkeravidlurker Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2013
    If the economy is "in tatters" what would a healthy economy be like, and most importantly, what should the economies function be in the first place?

For many Neverwinter is essentially a loot collection game. The point is to run dungeons to get loot. So why would you buy anything at all from the AH? Enter the RNG. You might just not get that one piece you are hunting for, so now you can sell some loot you did drop but don't need yourself and you can trade it for that loot you didn't get but want.

In a lot of ways the price point for the AH as a redistribution system of random loot doesn't even matter, as long as you can sell your surplus for about the same as the pieces Lady Luck just didn't give you.
  • Options
    killz2manykillz2many Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Wipe, Wipe, Wipe!

And look, I've invested A TON of time into this game. I have 4 characters that range from 40-60, most have 1-2 level 20 professions and I've even spent a little real money on this game. Though not much outside the founders pack maybe $20.

But I would be willing to do it all again for a proper working server.
    Killz2Many ~ Greatest Weapon Fighter ~ Dragon Shard
    game-of-thrones-dani-burn-deal-with-it.gif
  • Options
    killz2manykillz2many Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    avidlurker wrote: »
    If the economy is "in tatters" what would a healthy economy be like, and most importantly, what should the economies function be in the first place?

For many Neverwinter is essentially a loot collection game. The point is to run dungeons to get loot. So why would you buy anything at all from the AH? Enter the RNG. You might just not get that one piece you are hunting for, so now you can sell some loot you did drop but don't need yourself and you can trade it for that loot you didn't get but want.

In a lot of ways the price point for the AH as a redistribution system of random loot doesn't even matter, as long as you can sell your surplus for about the same as the pieces Lady Luck just didn't give you.

The thing is.. If some people are using exploits and others wish to play as intended it does matter. Lady luck is obviously going to favor those who can run 3-4 DD's in an hour vs those who play as intended. So those doing the exploits are making ALL items a little cheaper, but the ones you generally get are soo cheap that you can farm them all the time, but if you're not exploiting you'll be far behind the exploiters.
    Killz2Many ~ Greatest Weapon Fighter ~ Dragon Shard
    game-of-thrones-dani-burn-deal-with-it.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    (Personally, I cherry pick dailies among eight characters, though the majority of my daily ADs come from Leadership.)

Yeah, I barely do any dailies at all (don't pvp, don't do the upper-end dungeons since pugs are so great at them, and foundry at 60 is just a pain), so my AD comes from invoking, leadership, and selling my celestial coin boxes. Yeah, it adds up x6-8 characters, but it's still not a huge amount.
  • Options
    vaelosvaelos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    BiS items sell for reasonable amounts. Some of the people arguing about the prices of items on the AH in this thread are selectively ignoring this fact. This goes for any game, people do not want to spend substantial amounts of currency on non-BiS items.
  • Options
    malkaviermalkavier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    swamprob wrote: »
    BoP would ruin this game. I am SO glad one MMO doesn't force me to do un-fun dungeon runs to progress my character. Is it some sort of MMO law that says "all MMOs must force grouping as the only way to progress at endgame"?

Then you're going to be sorely disappointed in the near future, as Gauntlgrym requires A) for you to be in a guild B) to be in a group of 20 people to participate in 1/3rd of the content.
    How Cryptic trolls the entire NWO playerbase: 9200 GS listed for CN, implying anyone who needs more has no skill.
  • Options
    drluau2drluau2 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Price floors installed in the game tell us that supply and demand laws will not work entirely as predicted. No way to remove oversupply of items also tells us that supply and demand laws will not work entirely as predicted. Game needs a way to scrap items for crafting materials. It won't happen because that would be like WoW, and it is in vogue to be as different from WoW as possible.
This discussion has been closed.