test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Astral Shield has been completely destroyed

Comments

• Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    yult wrote: »
    Here are two clerics that have been here since before launch and watching clerics evolve. I see that I'm not alone in thinking that this will just about sound the death knell for this class. Until I discovered this new change, I was perfectly content with my class. Now, I'm seriously considering quitting altogether.

Can't wait to talk to all my cleric friends in game. This will cause an uproar, no doubt about it.

I play a Cleric as an Alt )really rolled him so our guild could do OP 2 DC Astral Shield OP mode more then wanting to play it, but seeing as not even my own guild wanted my GWF main I had to make a drastic change so rolling an OP class for 1 Ability was my ticket to T2 gear.

On another note, best frined is a Cleric as well and he is loving the changes. Now he can play the traditional sit back in the back keeping the front line topped off type of healer. Might I suggest you run Soothe and Prophecy of Doom and getting to that 4th Pip is no pretty key IMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    daervondaervon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Without having tested this yet, to me it seems we'll have a couple of options now:

1) D-AS, followed by D-FF on one of the longer-lasting adds, to fill in the gap until AS is up again. That'll probably screw over whoever's tanking the boss though, as they'll be relying on potions 99% of the time.
    2) Saving CCs -- which would certainly require some coordination with the CW in the group -- for when AS is down. That'll buy a couple of seconds as well.
    3) Dropping HG only when AS is about to go down, at least to benefit from the damage reduction (and small heals, if you've taken Moontouched as well). Obviously this might not work 100% of the time, depending on AP gain.
    4)Using D-Bastion of Health (ugh) as a filler.
    5) If they actually fix out Miracle Healer's set bonus, then that'll be an extra filler as well (and it'll make the price of those pieces go through the roof even more :P).

All in all, it sounds like we'll be expected to use Divinity heals a lot more -- certainly more than just for AS. Hopefully with the aggro fix it'll be easier to keep Divinity up in all situations.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

D.
  • Options
    oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »
    I play a Cleric as an Alt )really rolled him so our guild could do OP 2 DC Astral Shield OP mode more then wanting to play it, but seeing as not even my own guild wanted my GWF main I had to make a drastic change so rolling an OP class for 1 Ability was my ticket to T2 gear.

On another note, best frined is a Cleric as well and he is loving the changes. Now he can play the traditional sit back in the back keeping the front line topped off type of healer. Might I suggest you run Soothe and Prophecy of Doom and getting to that 4th Pip is no pretty key IMO.

Can you please stop spouting nonsense please?
    You CANNOT play the traditional sit back cleric because:
    1: you need AP
    2: you need DP
    3: you will still pull aggro

You need to attack to generate AP and DP. Attacking=/= sitting back.
    You will still pull aggro. You will, don't kid yourself.
    AS won't be up 100% and you will still heal yourself for 60% of what you heal the others. It forces you to go kitting stuff. While you run you can't generate AP/DP. Now you generate less DP (ehtereal boon anyone?) and on top of that now you will actually need to heal GWFs and GFs who made the effort of taking a couple of adds off your butt. But hey! what are your tools for healing? AS -> it's on CD. FF -> ****ty radius and lasts 5s. Sunburst /lol. Healing Word /lolx3. Bastion /lolx20.

Solution: Double Arcane singularity.
    Forget about GWFs or GFs who will now take damage (they say YAY! we say NOAH!) and will actually need to be healed when you obviously can't do that effectively and realiably (which may not seem much but many things can happen in 5 seconds...).

I bet you will soon be playing your new CW alt instead of your main GWF or alt DC.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Whether people realize it, o want to admit it, Astral Shield is the ONLY thing that is keeping the cleric from being <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> at their role in a group.

FF+HG/DA. You're welcome.

Sorry they took away your easy button though. But it was all too obvious that this will happen sooner or later. Besides, the notes make it sound like the 100% uptime was a bug.
  • Options
    yultyult Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 181 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I'm going to address some sentiments I see reappearing in this thread:

- "Deal with it/You can't survive 5 seconds without AS? F___ing ****!"

Have you ever done a difficult T2 dungeon? More importantly, have you healed one? Watch how fast a player dies if they engage a group of mobs without an AS down. 3-4 seconds, often faster. Have you ever seen what happens when the cleric slips, gets KB'd, or something else, and AS is down for a mere 5-6 seconds? Havoc. It can easily wipe a group. See what happens on Spellplague last boss, last phase without an AS. See what happens on Dracolich without an AS for 5 seconds. See what happens on Spider Queen.

- "We'll have to find other abilities to compensate"

That's a great sentiment. Unfortunately, there are no other abilities. No magical combination of Healing Word, Bastion, Sunburst, or anything else is all of a sudden going to start keeping people alive in the absence of AS. Hallowed Ground might, so maybe we will be forced to run 2-3 GF groups spamming Into the Fray so we can make sure Hallowed Ground is always up. The reason AS is so important is because all of our other healing encounters are trash.

- "But, tanks work now so it'll be fine"

We'll see. GFs and GWFs splat just about as fast as anyone else with a full complement of adds on them. My cleric has over 3000 defense and 500 deflection unbuffed, and I don't last long with boss adds on me and no AS. GF shield still breaks in one hit. I'm glad the fighters will have aggro instead of me, but they're not going to last any longer without a shield than we will.

- "Now skill will be required, you have to dodge"

There is little skill involved in avoiding damage in T2. That's because you either have to kite, which involves running in circles, or you have to dodge huge obvious boss red circles. There is no amount of skill that can let you dodge or avoid damage from the hordes of adds, unless you kite. And kiting, as much fun as it is, is neither fun nor does it require skill. Yes, in some fights there is a measure of skill involved to avoid at least taking overwhelming amounts of damage, including lots of clever shifting within an AS. But beyond that point most damage becomes impossible to avoid, and no AS means you will be splatted by that damage.

Another thing, not in response to anything specific, is that beyond making T2s immensely more difficult, it will also make playing a cleric a huge freaking pain in the ***, especially while clearing trash. Other classes have it incredibly easy clearing trash, just spam abilities and kill ****. Without being able to rely on AS, clerics are going to have to be scrambling around during every single pack of mobs like it's a boss fight, trying to keep people from dying and rezzing people. That does not sound like fun, not one bit. Maybe if healing wasn't so inane in this game it wouldn't be an issue. But it is. So it is.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ausdoerrt wrote: »

Sorry they took away your easy button though. But it was all too obvious that this will happen sooner or later. Besides, the notes make it sound like the 100% uptime was a bug.

IKR?!
    Hey, you could keep yourself and your party alive. It was a bug mate. You were not supposed to. Clerics don't do that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2013
    oroness wrote: »
    Can you please stop spouting nonsense please?
    You CANNOT play the traditional sit back cleric because:
    1: you need AP
    2: you need DP
    3: you will still pull aggro

You need to attack to generate AP and DP. Attacking=/= sitting back.

Generate DP and AP does not means you have to attack if you are a DC.
  • Options
    yultyult Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 181 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    daervon wrote: »
    Without having tested this yet, to me it seems we'll have a couple of options now:

1) D-AS, followed by D-FF on one of the longer-lasting adds, to fill in the gap until AS is up again. That'll probably screw over whoever's tanking the boss though, as they'll be relying on potions 99% of the time.
    2) Saving CCs -- which would certainly require some coordination with the CW in the group -- for when AS is down. That'll buy a couple of seconds as well.
    3) Dropping HG only when AS is about to go down, at least to benefit from the damage reduction (and small heals, if you've taken Moontouched as well). Obviously this might not work 100% of the time, depending on AP gain.
    4)Using D-Bastion of Health (ugh) as a filler.
    5) If they actually fix out Miracle Healer's set bonus, then that'll be an extra filler as well (and it'll make the price of those pieces go through the roof even more :P).

All in all, it sounds like we'll be expected to use Divinity heals a lot more -- certainly more than just for AS. Hopefully with the aggro fix it'll be easier to keep Divinity up in all situations.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.
    D.
    How do you expect to keep DAS and DFF up, let alone adding DBoH? What exactly are you going to be using to build Divinity? Even just using 2 channeled encounters is not sustainable, you will run out of Divinity pretty quickly. Also, FF is not a solution. It is, to a large extent, worthless in T2. It's far too difficult to target and thus incredibly unreliable. HG is the only thing that comes close to being as powerful as AS, but trying to save it for when AS is down is just not a solution and the timing doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    maahkremuirsongmaahkremuirsong Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I would rather have boost now nerf later........ than nerf now.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ausdoerrt wrote: »

I'd explain how worthless FF is in most situations, but I think your sig says it all.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    knoteskad wrote: »
    Yeah you know when you're solo healing Spider last boss and she wipes your astral shield and you instantly die to blademaster GAPCLOSERS being spammed on you?

Yeah, enjoy that happening 33% of the time now lol.

It's extremely clear they balanced the entire game around this stupid ability.

Actually it is our job, and it's extremely clear, just look at how much unavoidable dmg is thrown at you, you need astral shield down, it's very binary, you're in the shield you're alright, you step out, you die.

This is a pseudo-action RPG and dodge is very unreliable in this game.

With massive amounts of mobs thrown at you that are spamming homing ranged attacks and SPAMMING instant gap closers that do a billion dmg, etc you're not dodging that. Dodge is just a neat little mobility tool to assist with avoiding red circles that you can't otherwise avoid because the **** game locks you down with clunky animations that you can't cancel with normal movement, it's stupid. There is a FEW (very few) instances where the actual tiny tiny iFrame from dodge can actually help avoid something nasty, but again that's rare, most of the time it's just the mobility itself that's saving you.

If minion type mobs didn't do SOO much friggin dmg, and there were more threatening mini-boss ish mobs, and bosses were ACTUAL bosses and didn't just spam overpowered adds at you it'd be a completely different story. You would be able to avoid most dmg just from player skill, like an actual action-rpg.

Good post. Thanks for that, now I don't have to respond to him myself =)
  • Options
    klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Maybe the time to remove Righteousness has come?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    nerf on DC reduce damage and heal, nerf on TR power ... well, I can only say good luck on epic dungeon, let us all see how far such things can goes on the game and becoming more PvP dan PvE .... :D
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    klangeddin wrote: »
    Maybe the time to remove Righteousness has come?

I think it's time to stop dreaming LOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    torrificotorrifico Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is all very well except for the glaring hole that is the fact that having servers in one location on planet earth means that vast number of people have huge latency problems. DODGE as a primary defense mechanism falls flat on its face in this situation.

Some us literally cannot get under 300ms even in the best of conditions simply due to cable distance. Given that human reaction time falls between 150ms and 300ms means that any red-circle indicator that lasts less than 600ms before triggering has a really low chance of getting dodged and under 500ms it becomes near impossible.

And before anyone comes along with "get better internet" this is a physical cable length problem, for me a route that foes to the UK and then to the USA is somewhere in the region of 14000 miles (about 22000kms) or to put things in perspective my ping has to travel halfway around the world to get to the NWN servers.

Dodge, for players like me, as the main damage mitigation tool is impractical and this game needs deals with the problem or simply accept that it will have a slightly smaller (i.e. mostly USA) player-base.

On a personal level I was struggling a bit but was able to mostly cope by trying to anticipate things and being able to religiously pre-place AS, hammer other encounters on CD and spam by at-wills; but this AS change will make the class unplayable for me and this is not even considering that the balancing attempt, outside of CW and GWF, has been atrocious.

Peace.
    vinners wrote: »
    Idk guys, I'm taking this a bit differently.
    People actually have to DODGE now. Plus, with the ****ty returns on recovery for this CD, I'd take this as an opportunity to swap out some recovery for other stats like power or defense.

The question becomes "can your party survive 5 seconds without blue?"
    EVERYONE has to play smarter now. Your party members have to use pots (which they should be doing anyway) and dodge a bit more.
    YOU will have to pay attention to fights and know when the best time to put down the shield. That's going to take more concentration, and more skill. And we're a skillful bunch, yo.

So let's use the Preview to test out if parties can survive that 5 seconds. If you swap out some of that recovery for power, your heals should "hit" a bit harder to make up for it. Drop down to 3.5k recovery and then jack up your Power/Defense and see if it's really that much harder.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Looks like it's time to quit the game or roll another class. Aggro was fine, and helped to build very efficient boss fights strategies, now it's about to be removed. Adds will randomly run at people and will be out of control, because the CW won't be able to use singularity over every player on the map. Astral shield is about to be incredibly nefed, the resistance buff and regen was what made clerics useful in pvp (no, you can't dodge player stuff in pvp, they aren't stupid mobs with red circles), now clerics will be useless and easily overrun by GFs and the new kings of the battleground, GWFs. These guys, well played, were op against clerics in pvp, now it's going to be even worse.

The devs could have halved the healing power of most spells but AS, it would have been fine. But they dramatically nerfed the only meaningful healing ability, and the only meaningful cleric pvp ability. Without a 100% uptime and the righteousness debuff on AS, playing pvp with a cleric is clearly masochism.

Last but not least, parties playing with two clerics will be penalized. Two rogues in a party are fine but two clerics means one has to go. That's great if you want to play with friends! What a great social MMO.
  • Options
    sirxluissirxluis Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ppl have pointed out mostly why as cant be nerfed and I read someone post saying that in this game we wont have an active healer and all that. well I ask what do clerics do then??? if we dont active heal we have no dmg our debuffs are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and/or are bugged and buffs mobs instead (that they dont fix...) and our dmg mitigations aint that high well i ask again what are clerics supposed to do?

now thats for pve but have a look at clerics in pvp now... is it really balanced?
    theres something ive learned playing betas over the years and that is if you want to "change" stuff you cannot nerf classes like that you can improve other classes to its lvl improve mobs or whatever you like but nerfing classes always goes bad.
    no as stacking is something i wanted them to change but this...
    also the ap gain says dmg and healing i like how i can do 6k on 1 target w dl or 20k on 5 targets and always builds 7.5%

i normally used to run as sun burst astral seal. the 3rd encounter didnt even matter most time cus we dont have another usefull ecounter i would run break the spirit in bosses jusst to build more ap and dp cus of low cd and daunting light for the rest just to help make dg faster (dl on singularity or entangling force mastery is good) but no spell actually makes the dif here now they nerf as well can we please have good encounter i mean if you dont mind? our class features are fine and at wills too but encounters... this notes are just sad i will probably quit playing or play cw. 1 rogue 4 cw pts ftw now
  • Options
    dootudootu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited June 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Last but not least, parties playing with two clerics will be penalized. Two rogues in a party are fine but two clerics means one has to go. That's great if you want to play with friends! What a great social MMO.

Except the nerf is more of a reason to have 2 DCs in a group.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dootu wrote: »
    Except the nerf is more of a reason to have 2 DCs in a group.

Well not really, now the divine AS is a HoT, which is mostly useless, it can be cleaned or cancelled by some debuffs. So, now, this ability is junk. So, unless you want to stack junk, you don't want two clerics in your party. I'm more concerned by the divine armor. This was an awesome skill. Now you can't stack it anymore.
  • Options
    yuinojiyuinoji Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hey LOL
    guys, you really think about this too much
    I mean, this skills revamp havent implemented yet
    we dunno what will happen later but . . once it implemented, we'll learn a new way how to play as a DC

280px-Cleric_devoted.png
  • Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    yult wrote: »
    I'd explain how worthless FF is in most situations, but I think your sig says it all.

And nothing wrong with that.

Besides, I still think people should stop treating clerics here as healbots like in most MMOs. DCs provide/should provide damage mitigation, not heals.
  • Options
    ghamrirghamrir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    With it goes the cleric. Astral Shield has been the only saving grace of the cleric as a healer/damage reducer. Bastion of Health is complete trash with an 18 second CD. Healing Word is garbage for keeping people alive (no recovery effect kills it. Sun Burst isn't saving anyone. Forgemaster's is good but you aren't keeping anyone alive with it alone because of the low up-time on it.

Whether people realize it, o want to admit it, Astral Shield is the ONLY thing that is keeping the cleric from being <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> at their role in a group. If you don't believe me go do the last boss of Temple of the Spider without Astral Shield (assuming you get there in the first place). Those blade masters will shred your entire group apart between CW CC and you can't heal through it even if you wanted to. You NEED that damage reduction from AS.

Note: I am happy about the AS stacking nerf though.

I'm not even level 60 yet, but this made me think of dustballing my main (cleric) and just pick another class....
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    yuinoji wrote: »
    hey LOL
    guys, you really think about this too much
    I mean, this skills revamp havent implemented yet
    we dunno what will happen later but . . once it implemented, we'll learn a new way how to play as a DC

support healer actually not the only way to play cleric here, well, there is the aggro problem, but if the aggro of GF and GWF take over then striker cleric is a possibility ... until someone whining then it got nerf again
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ghamrir wrote: »
    I'm not even level 60 yet, but this made me think of dustballing my main (cleric) and just pick another class....

LOL

re-roll to another class isn't good solution,
    NO CLERIC NO RAID :p
  • Options
    valetudo78valetudo78 Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The thing is even if you spec cleric for more dps, he wont come close too anyone in party with damage. They need too buff other powers if they are going to nerf A.shield so much.I have a lvl 60 gf, cw, and dc and ill tell you the only reason to attack in dungeons is to build dp and ap. Ive had my guildies run two dcs before(one spec for dps and one for heals) and the dc specced for dps was still second to last by a long shot.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    valetudo78 wrote: »
    The thing is even if you spec cleric for more dps, he wont come close too anyone in party with damage. They need too buff other powers if they are going to nerf A.shield so much.I have a lvl 60 gf, cw, and dc and ill tell you the only reason to attack in dungeons is to build dp and ap. Ive had my guildies run two dcs before(one spec for dps and one for heals) and the dc specced for dps was still second to last by a long shot.

some people says, "Cleric aren't healer"
    but, even a cleric got a good DPS gear, a cleric isn't the best DPS ever
  • Options
    highropeshighropes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 103
    edited June 2013
    I like to play underpowered classes, so I guess, that goes well with me lol.. I just can't stand playing anything that is too strong and being massively played and abused by majority of players. And I'm pretty sure it is not that bad as people make it sound here, we gonna come up with something, don't worry. Looking forward to some testing when I get back home from work. :-)
  • Options
    edited June 2013

4 cw 1 rogue new meta should play cw xD 4 steal time 2 opressive force and 2 sing op lol
  • Options
    lukitonlukiton Member Posts: 33
    edited June 2013
    After reading the entire patch notes: So all other classes overlapping dazzes, stacking dps and reducing cooldowns and just doing the opposite with Devoted Clerics? It make no sense of real balance at all :O

Hopefully they will consider it before all Devoted Clerics stop playing...Cmon it's absolutly ridiculous!.
    Thorfin <Imba> God save the dwarfs
  • Options
    edited June 2013

4 cw 1 rogue new meta should play cw xD 4 steal time 2 opressive force and 2 sing op lol