What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New **Raid** Zone Gauntlgrym sounds terrible

Comments

• Options
    zarchoszarchos Member Posts: 47
    edited June 2013
    Sorry guys= this whole thing is a complete disaster, I dont mind PVP BUT THE 2 SHOULD NOT BE MIXED, EVER. PVE and PVP ARE 2 DIFFERENT ANIMALS>
  • Options
    kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Can't wait, I'm stoked.

All I see in this thread: "I suck at PvP, why don't I get the same rewards as other people who are clearly better than I am?"

It's like asking for a gold medal as a consolation prize. Spend less time crying about PvP and more time learning how to be better at it.
  • Options
    zarchoszarchos Member Posts: 47
    edited June 2013
    Can't wait, I'm stoked.

All I see in this thread: "I suck at PvP, why don't I get the same rewards as other people who are clearly better than I am?"

It's like asking for a gold medal as a consolation prize. Spend less time crying about PvP and more time learning how to be better at it.

Nice try- so so easy for someone to just dismiss
  • Options
    enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Lotta scurd peoples. If you take a group of nothing but dedicated pvpers then they will suffer on the PvE parts. Likewise the pvpers will dominate on 2nd part. They give you PvEesk options with Catapults and summoning a Giant. Honestly as far as Adentueres and Treasure Hunters go this sounds legit. They would fight each other for a piece of the pie. The victor taking the bigger share.

The game has been out barely over a month and im glad to see something big like this already hit(even though should have already been there lol). For raiders im sure they will compensate with more intense stuff in the future. Game had up to Tier 6 armor made during Betas. For pvpers they will add more then Domination/Gauntlgrym in the future as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I love all this rage when we haven't been given any details at how exactly the content is going to work.

Let's wait until we know a little more before putting up the "GAME IS DOOOOMED" posts.
  • Options
    spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    I love all this rage when we haven't been given any details at how exactly the content is going to work.

Let's wait until we know a little more before putting up the "GAME IS DOOOOMED" posts.

The trailer explained it concisely. Watch the trailer.
  • Options
    quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    Competitive PvE is not PvP. It's competing to complete objectives before other PvErs complete them.

That is true, except that Gauntlgrym isn't just competitive PvE. The second stage is a full-on PvP match, a scaled up version of the ones we already have. You must win that match to play the T2 Dungeon. If you lose, your consolation prize is a T1 Dungeon that will probably be a waste of time for anyone who can actually enter Gauntlgrym.
  • Options
    tyr216tyr216 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »

Regardless of the details, the premise alone is enough to make people react strongly to it. I sense that this is going to be one of those "love it or hate it" types of things. While it's an interesting concept, I can sympathize with those that hate it for the PvP element added to it. Many people simply just don't like PvP and never will, even if they work at being good at it. I know plenty of people who really tried to get into PvP and just couldn't. I've also known plenty of PvP'ers who have tried to get into PvE and had the same reaction; they just didn't like the predictability of scripted encounters. There's no way developers are ever going to get those two extremes to come together. But there's also a middle ground. There are plenty of players who love both PvE and PvP, and for them, this new zone is perfect.

Also, for everyone crying about the current state of the game regarding class balance, there is a big patch coming that will readjust things so today's super strong Trickster Rogue might be tomorrow's free gank. You never know in which direction the pendulum is going to swing until it swings. I recommend everyone give it some time, wait and see, relax, and try it out when it ships live. If you absolutely hate life after all that, then take it to the forums. Right now, all you're doing is complaining for the sake of complaining. None of us know how all this will play out until we have it in our hands.
  • Options
    madqhuemadqhue Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think the reason people are somewhat annoyed comes in three forms:

1) PVE phase gives a bonus for PVP phase, but PVP phase winner alone determines which side gets access to the end-game. Unless the PVE phase bonus is massive the PVP types will get a free pass to the end-game.
    2) Tier 2 loot is not very exciting for people who already have full suits of Tier 2 loot, Tier 1 loot sounds downright insulting for 'endgame'.
    3) Gauntlgrym is only accessible at certain times of the day (the event schedule included it on the first couple days of Open Beta) and represents a significant time investment
  • Options
    kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    That is true, except that Gauntlgrym isn't just competetive PvE. The second stage is a full-on PvP match, a scaled up version of the ones we already have. You must win that match to play the T2 Dungeon. If you lose, your consolation prize is a T1 Dungeon that will probably be a waste of time for anyone who can actually enter Gauntlgrym.

Well then, looks like you'll have to find a way to win then, won't you? Sorta reminds me of my buddies who play zombies in Call of Duty: There are no winners, but there sure as hell are alot of losers.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

People have preferences and they only ask to keep the two playstyles separate. PvP can have its own, equal rewards, and PvE can have its own, also equal rewards. Why force either segment of the player base to engage in something that they don't enjoy?

PvP at 60, right now, isn't enjoyable to me, and getting 200ms from Europe doesn't help matters. It's not a matter of "getting better at it", but one of, "I don't enojoy it." It's a game, played for recreation.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    madqhue wrote: »
    3) Gauntlgrym is only accessible at certain times of the day (the event schedule included it on the first couple days of Open Beta) and represents a significant time investment

Seriously? That's the stupidest idea.

Of course, it doesn't matter if Gauntlgrym isn't worth actually running...
    Well then, looks like you'll have to find a way to win then, won't you? Sorta reminds me of my buddies who play zombies in Call of Duty: There are no winners, but there sure as hell are alot of losers.

Well, yes, the inevitable conclusion of this design is that you must "find a way to win" the PvP match to play the T2 dungeon. Do you have a point, or were you just stating the obvious?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    People have preferences and they only ask to keep the two playstyles separate. PvP can have its own, equal rewards, and PvE can have its own, also equal rewards. Why force either segment of the player base to engage in something that they don't enjoy?

PvP at 60, right now, isn't enjoyable to me, and getting 200ms from Europe doesn't help matters. It's not a matter of "getting better at it", but one of, "I don't enojoy it." It's a game, played for recreation.

Well then stick to running epics non-stop. I think it's a massive step in the right direction. Rewards should go to the better players, not the ones who have 8+ hours a day to grind PvE endlessly.
  • Options
    noniussnoniuss Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2013
    I want to see the balance patch notes...i really don't want to believe they would release a 20v20 without a proper balancing first...i mean, seriously, in lvl 60 PvP it sometimes takes about the same amount of time as in FPS for me to kill someone/someone to kill me. And btw - dont give me that bs about cw's having too much CC - if there are more than one in a group, then yes, the CC can become heavy, but its somewhat balanced by us being so friggin squishy and the length of our CC is reduced drastically in PvP. Not to mention all the blocks. dodges, cleanses, immunities and whatnot other classes have - dont forget we (the CW's) dont have anything like that. And i can say from my own experience, that in lvl 60 PvP rogues and GWF's have better 1v1 cc abilities - the TR's blink and daze is just instakill - i can't teleport, use skills, i am slowed for full 5 seconds while those buggers jump around me happily critting with 30k damage. Plus they can enter that combo from sneak, which means i have no idea whats coming and when. Yeah, not op at all. As for the GWF - if i dont dodge the initiation of its triple-jump-smashdown (whatever it is), it disbles me for 5+ seconds aswell...i can do that only i go full CC build and use my entire rotation.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    noniuss wrote: »
    I want to see the balance patch notes...i really don't want to believe they would release a 20v20 without a proper balancing first...

Considering the game is officially going live on June 20th, even if they release the balance patch before that, there won't be enough time to see how broken things still are, or address any new issues that crop up. Something tells me they're just going to release everything all at once on the 20th. It's going to be a mess lol
  • Options
    zombieelviszombieelvis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    you got chocolate(pvp) in my peanut butter(pve) :p
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Well then stick to running epics non-stop. I think it's a massive step in the right direction. Rewards should go to the better players, not the ones who have 8+ hours a day to grind PvE endlessly.

8b3.jpg
  • Options
    pietro0815pietro0815 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Yea, thats exactly what i did not understand with gauntlgrim, why forcing either playerbase to do something they dont like.
    I hope they change the mechanic behind it or maybe we all just don't understand how it really work.

I really enjoy PVP, it has its balance issues, but some of the could be fixed quite easy.
  • Options
    lejdglejdg Member Posts: 79
    edited June 2013
    i am really looking forward to this. however, the loot issue prevails - i am fully geared with the best t2/CN weapon set and there is very little to do in the game at this stage for me -> i wish they implemented some sort of new gear into these dungeons so it feels rewarding and makes grinding more exciting again. - These gautlegrym seals, to me, are an indicator that this is going to happen though :)

and for the mix of PvE and PvP... i personally love it! - just hope one run wont take longer than 1,5h
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

Preferring PvP over PvP and having a sub-50ms connection to the servers doesn't make you a "better player". This is a gear-based game, so "skill" is really a minor aspect. The skill aspect is further diminished by how little time it takes to kill someone. What matters is gear and who gets the jump.

I don't grind dungeons for 8+ hours a day, because that's as little fun as the "booom, dead in 2 seconds" kind of PvP we currently have. However, I don't have a problem dropping down a few hundred bucks and buying the gear I want, though, if we really have to do PvP in order to do new PvE content. That will make me a "better player", no doubt. :p
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    danxbxdanxbx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zarchos wrote: »
    Are you kidding me? So this new raid zone will only give us tier 2 loot? Is this loot different from the existing loot that's available right now?

And to top it off- we can only get to the T2 level if we beat an existing team? What about people that have absolutely NO interest in PVP? This is a forced PVP on people, I don't like the system at all.

Forced? Cry me a river.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    danxbx wrote: »
    Forced? Cry me a river.

Only if you'll drown yourself in it :*
  • Options
    erdokanerdokan Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Itsssss....CWtime! Dun - dun dun dun - dun dun - dun dun - dun dun - dun dun - can't touch this!
    David Valtiere, Lvl 70 TR with perfect Lvl 60 gear which I don't want to replace cause nostalgia yo ;_;
  • Options
    danxbxdanxbx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    Seriously? That's the stupidest idea.

Of course, it doesn't matter if Gauntlgrym isn't worth actually running...

Well, yes, the inevitable conclusion of this design is that you must "find a way to win" the PvP match to play the T2 dungeon. Do you have a point, or were you just stating the obvious?

Then don't engage directly in PvP. Someone has to build the catapults.
  • Options
    torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Preferring PvP over PvP and having a sub-50ms connection to the servers doesn't make you a "better player". This is a gear-based game, so "skill" is really a minor aspect. The skill aspect is further diminished by how little time it takes to kill someone. What matters is gear and who gets the jump.

I don't grind dungeons for 8+ hours a day, because that's as little fun as the "booom, dead in 2 seconds" kind of PvP we currently have. However, I don't have a problem dropping down a few hundred bucks and buying the gear I want, though, if we really have to do PvP in order to do new PvE content. That will make me a "better player", no doubt. :p

I agree with you imivo. We'll have to see how much Gauntlgrym has changed, but if it hasn't changed much or at all I think people will be as unhappy with it as they were in testing.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    spyke2009 wrote: »
    Only if you'll drown yourself in it :*

I'm sure the whole world will since this is the worse thing ever according to a select few who haven't even tried it out yet. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm sure the whole world will since this is the worse thing ever according to a select few who haven't even tried it out yet. :rolleyes:

How do you know who's tried it or not?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Then don't engage directly in PvP. Someone has to build the catapults.

Yes, building catapults and something about earning the favor of some giant npc guy that fights for your side. I wonder what's involved in all that. Those points of interests could become focal points for PvP activity though, just like controlling the other nodes. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that if the second part is PvP, chances are you will be PvP'ing in some capacity.
  • Options
    skylia120410skylia120410 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I like this idea rather than open world pvp that affects my pve far worse when lvl capped players killing u over and while u quest. this actually sounds fun and u won't be forced into it.plus if u are pve person maybe u can man the catapults during the pvp part this sounds awesome and needs to be given a chance it won't appeal to everyone and others are going to LOVE IT!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character handle:@skylia120410
    (www.gwfnw.weebly.com)
    GWF GUIDE SITE: Still being worked on not 60 yet
    Divine Misfits (one of the Guild Leaders)(Guild Site Manager)
    www.divinemisfits.guildlaunch.com
  • Options
    jlanderjlander Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    madqhue wrote: »
    I think the reason people are somewhat annoyed comes in three forms:

1) PVE phase gives a bonus for PVP phase, but PVP phase winner alone determines which side gets access to the end-game. Unless the PVE phase bonus is massive the PVP types will get a free pass to the end-game.
    2) Tier 2 loot is not very exciting for people who already have full suits of Tier 2 loot, Tier 1 loot sounds downright insulting for 'endgame'.

Point 1 is what I instantly though when watching the video. Depending on how big the buff is for winning phase 1 the event could be decided before phase 2 starts.