What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Two 24 Hour Chat Bans In A Row After Typing 1 Line In Zone Chat Each Time

Comments

• Options
    joewoodcutter1joewoodcutter1 Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    There's about 3000 people online in Protector's Enclave right now on Dragon. All it takes is 21 of them to ignore or report spam someone to silence them for 24hrs. Less than 1%. Clearly everyone that gets silenced deserves it and the system is working as intended /rolls_eyes

Theres 17 million people in my country and it only takes 3 of them to send me off to jail.
  • Options
    caucxicancaucxican Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31
    edited May 2013
    nojo2211 wrote: »
    I think you've probably learned the lesson that typing in caps will get you muted by at least 21 people. Unfortunately for you this results in a chat ban. If you DONT TYPE IN CAPS, you probably won't get chat banned again. I agree its harsh, but now you know.

Simple question: Is it not proper grammar to type acronyms in all caps? If so, doesn't that mean that my heinous infraction was by capitalizing the word "Experienced"?
  • Options
    caucxicancaucxican Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31
    edited May 2013
    Theres 17 million people in my country and it only takes 3 of them to send me off to jail.

Your replies in this thread and the other thread you have made about this "rant" have been nothing but nonsense. Instead of trying to teach you how to counter-point in an eloquent manner, I'd rather just ask you to stop posting in both threads.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Just giving my opinion, like you did and 20 people decided it was not ok.
    So you got burned, so what ? Its 24 hrs and then its gone, not the end of the world.
  • Options
    nojo2211nojo2211 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 35
    edited May 2013
    caucxican wrote: »
    Simple question: Is it not proper grammar to type acronyms in all caps? If so, doesn't that mean that my heinous infraction was by capitalizing the word "Experienced"?

I didn't say I had a problem with it. Just that it is obvious why you got muted. Some people just automatically do that stuff and unfortunately it only takes a few. Personally, I'm happy when the gold spammers disappear quickly, which is what the system was invented to prevent.

In your case, I would recommend not saying EXPERIENCED, but instead posting your gear score which is a more quantifiable measure of your experience anyway. For example if you would have said: "10.5K TR LFG CN," I doubt you would have been banned and that is all caps. I'm not going to test it for you though! I don't want to get banned!!!

In all seriousness, unfortunately life isn't fair. Just let it go and learn your lesson for next time. The system gets more bad guys than good IMHO.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Just giving my opinion, like you did and 20 people decided it was not ok.
    So you got burned, so what ? Its 24 hrs and then its gone, not the end of the world.

*48 hours
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    nojo2211 wrote: »
    I didn't say I had a problem with it. Just that it is obvious why you got muted. Some people just automatically do that stuff and unfortunately it only takes a few. Personally, I'm happy when the gold spammers disappear quickly, which is what the system was invented to prevent.

In your case, I would recommend not saying EXPERIENCED, but instead posting your gear score which is a more quantifiable measure of your experience anyway. For example if you would have said: "10.5K TR LFG CN," I doubt you would have been banned and that is all caps. I'm not going to test it for you though! I don't want to get banned!!!

In all seriousness, unfortunately life isn't fair. Just let it go and learn your lesson for next time. The system gets more bad guys than good IMHO.

The reason I typed it in the first place is that most CN groups only take experienced people who have cleared it before.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    caucxican wrote: »
    *48 hours

So you got burned and didnt learn a lesson from the first ban.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    So you got burned and didnt learn a lesson from from the first ban.

I don't think lesson means what you think it means...
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Just to throw this out there....it's an archived post from Star Trek Online's forums about the report spam feature that says very clearly any use of the report spam function other than reporting real money traders is abuse. First post, read for yourselves. And remember, Cryptic manages three games. This, STO, and Champions Online.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=2393385#post2393385

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You annoyed 40 people so much that they took the effort to go back in the fast scrolling chat box and report you.
    Keep up the innocence.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You annoyed 40 people so much that they took the effort to go back in the fast scrolling chat box and report you.
    Keep up the innocence.

Only takes twenty, max.

Edit: The issue isn't whether or not someone deserves it. The issue is that both the ignore and report spam functions do the same thing. When enough people use it on you, you're silenced. Strip out the silencing part of the ignore and leave report spam alone. Partial solution.

I'm personally of the opinion that a mute function should absolutely not be in the hands of players, due to the abuse factor, but hey.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    Only takes twenty, max.

He got banned twice.....
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    He got banned twice.....

All those twenty had to do was remove him from their ignore lists and reapply once the first ban wears off.

• Options
    funnylookingnipsfunnylookingnips Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just wanna point out that I was banned for 48 hours (i got a good 25 minutes of play time in in between bans) for selling in the zone chat. I understand there are unofficial trade channels, and I was in one, but there is nobody populating those. I even tried getting people to populate them for like 10 minutes by posting about how a trade channel and everyone buying and selling should use it. Ya know what happened? I got cussed out for "complaining" about people in zone chat. I have what I was saying on a macro so that as I replied to my buddies i could repost (quickly) back to zone chat every once in a while, this is exactly what it said

"/zone TO EVERYONE BUYING AND SELLING! Please join the Trade channel "/channel_join NW Dragon Trade" and then "/channel_setcurrent "NW Dragon Trade""

After being cussed out I decided to stop (only had posted it about 6 or 7 times) and hoped the guy wouldnt report me for trying to help the community. Not a single person even joined the channel after that, so I went and did some pvp for like 10 minutes and came back and wanted to sell an enchanted key. all I said was

WTS [Enchanted Key] 30g

Literally, I said it 5 times over the course of 5 minutes, got reported and silenced. There were tons of other people flooding the zone chat with WTB and WTS and WTT and guild recruitment and everything you can think of. Its a bit ridiculous that people can so easily abuse the chat system like this and the people who are silenced have no recourse but to wait 24 hours and hope it doesnt happen again. If we at least had some official dedicated chat channels, things would be different...
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All those twenty had to do was remove him from their ignore lists and reapply once the first ban wears off.

Paranoia or provocation?
  • Options
    edited May 2013

The OP just annoyed 20 random people twice and now wants to complain about it, this has nothing to do with griefing.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Paranoia or provocation?
    Neither is the issue here. I've already said what IS the issue.
    The OP just annoyed 20 random people twice and now wants to complain about it, this has nothing to do with griefing.

Suuuuuuuuuuure it doesn't. You just keep on believing that.

I swear, it's like you don't want to acknowledge it's a broken function that is being misused. Even when I've provided PROOF of it's intended use in my signature AND a post.

You lot can't really be that ignorant in real life, therefore you must be green and living under a bridge, regenerating. Welcome to a coveted spot on MY ignore list.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    The issue is sitting in his chair, in front of the screen, pal.

Yup. But it's okay, I've ignored you too, so the issue is moot. :)

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Neither is the issue here. I've already said what IS the issue.

Suuuuuuuuuuure it doesn't. You just keep on believing that.

I swear, it's like you don't want to acknowledge it's a broken function that is being misused. Even when I've provided PROOF of it's intended use in my signature AND a post.

You proved what Cryptic intends with this feature, not that the OP was being griefed upon.

Qoute from Cryptic :
    "The Report Spam functionality is for reporting real money transaction spammers only. Remember, the GMs still review the reports that are generated when you use this functionality, so every time you report someone, we see your name and the line of chat you reported as spam. This means that abuse is very clear."

If the OP had been abused by this feature surely Cryptic would have unbanned him.
  • Options
    coglovercoglover Member Posts: 97
    edited May 2013
    Thing is, u say its not broken, when me and my friends can IF we would want to, all 8 report spam the same guy and there u have it, we can mute anyone in the game that we dont like. Sure, very fair system
  • Options
    jivundusjivundus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You proved what Cryptic intends with this feature, not that the OP was being griefed upon.

Qoute from Cryptic :
    "The Report Spam functionality is for reporting real money transaction spammers only. Remember, the GMs still review the reports that are generated when you use this functionality, so every time you report someone, we see your name and the line of chat you reported as spam. This means that abuse is very clear."

If the OP had been abused by this feature surely Cryptic would have unbanned him.

From my own experience the support can be rather slow at times and by the time they do get to a person the situation has resolved itself, you have logged out of frustration or the time has passed.

Also keep in mind that this can be used by guilds to grief players .. something i have seen in other games
  • Options
    edited May 2013

This is the same company that closed all the open tickets that were made during release of Open Beta because they became so flooded and backlogged, they decided to start over fresh. This is a for profit company where the less amount of labor costs you have to pay = more profits. As a person who has run multiple businesses in my life I can tell you that there is a very fine line between having barely enough employees on the clock to get by for max profit and grossly underestimating your businesses needs.
  • Options
    chintaechintae Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Because of the flood of chat with some people, I often tend to overlook those who go:

[zone]: 8.3K EXPERIENCED CW LFG FOR EPIC DUNGEONS! PST!!!
    [zone]: 8.3K EXPERIENCED CW LFG FOR EPIC DUNGEONS! PST!!!

The chat floods by so fast that this is acceptable to me, between all the people looking for stuff to sell, stuff to buy, dungeon groups and asking the odd question. I have HONESTLY no problems keeping up. I'm like a filter, sifting things through in my mind. Colored chat on the right...LFG on the left...question...quick, respond. Guild recruitment....goes on the top.

As fast as you guys can flood the channel, my mind is processing all the data.

But when I see people who do this:

[zone]: WTB bag of gems 30g each! PST
    [zone]: CW LFG FOR EPIC DUNGEON RUNS PST

Guess which of you is getting a big 'report' feature from me?

I know what you want to buy. I got it the first time you sent it to zone. I even forgive you on the second time, since chat scrolls by fast. But flooding it more than 3x and your just being a dyck.

I think everyone should be so mindful. PW seems to already express the ineffectiveness of their ability to code stuff right. You are goin got be faced with an over-abundance of zone spamming for awhile. Use common sense rather than...

"Wah, wah, my pee pee got slapped."
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I implore anyone who is arguing that this system is working just fine to simply reply to this thread with your @handle
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Full post from Cryptic :

"Hey All,

The automatic spam moderating system has been improved once again!

The number of spammers should go down significantly in the near future (though many claim it already has).

The Report Spam functionality is for reporting real money transaction spammers only. Remember, the GMs still review the reports that are generated when you use this functionality, so every time you report someone, we see your name and the line of chat you reported as spam. This means that abuse is very clear. If you see or hear of players abusing it, there is no need to let us know; we will see the automatic reports as they come.

Abusing the system will result in severe penalties against your account. With great power comes great responsibility. Your cooperation is required to fight against the spammers, so please do your part and only use it for legitimate reasons."

The OP can be satisfied now.
    Those 40 people will get severe penalties for wrongfully reporting him, that is if they abused the system....