My 2cents. (need a LOT of work) :(

Comments

• Options
    redlanceredlance Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    jn2002dk1 wrote: »
    Wow clone = LOTRO
    Not a wow clone = NW
    Both LotRO and NWO are class based, with holy trinity, based on gear grind at endgame

jn2002dk1 wrote: »
    Does that mean Call of Duty is a wow clone?
    Call of Duty or other FPS have no trinity, no gear grind, no instances farm. No Wow-clone
  • Options
    jn2002dk1jn2002dk1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    redlance wrote: »
    Both LotRO and NWO are class based, with holy trinity, based on gear grind at endgame

Call of Duty or other FPS have no trinity, no gear grind, no instances farm. No Wow-clone
    Really? No gear grind in CoD? That's news to me

Oh and you can't see how differently LOTRO and NW plays?
    Have you played both
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

NW does not have a holy trinity. You do not need a tank for any PvE content in NW. (I could state here that lately 90% of my end game content in NW is working on my own foundry quests and doing other people's foundry quest, and neither requires gear grinding.)

D&D has been class-based since the 1970s.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    rezonedrezoned Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All DAoC clones :p

WoW did so well because it had what I like to call kiddy graphics that appeal to young players, age 7 upwards
    Wildstar will probably do well for the same reason.

The foundry is just a great tool to add content to the game, and lets face it there is no real endgame content here
    many thanks to the players who kindly spend there time to make extra content.

There is another game in june going f2p and only cosmetic items cost money, looking forward to trying that out
    But for my personal choice most anticipated game for me is TESO.
  • Options
    xuminaxumina Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

NWO is not class based, you can run dungeons without DC or GWF or GF, Tr... you can have a pure CW party or a pure DC party and still end dungeon. Do not forget the NWO have yet to release other classes such as archer, warlock and etc. Should the other classes be released your holy trinity theory does not apply. Gear grind is common in Pre-WoW mmorpg, I gave you the example of Knight Online, Ragnarok and etc (I stand corrected for Ultima). CoD... no gear grind.... seriously?? lol... My point is STOP using WoW as a benchmark because WoW is not a good benchmark to begin with. Not everything starts and end with WoW.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    xumina wrote: »
    My point is STOP using WoW as a benchmark because WoW is not a good benchmark to begin with. Not everything starts and end with WoW.

Ok.
    Neverwinter is a standard theme park with gear grind in instances T1-T2 and so on, with holy trinity (there is a tank class, an healer class, ...), with the power of character being higher with higher tier equipment, class based (and without multiclass, just like a real D&D game should have), with a tree of passive abilites and combat with in-place root when using skills.

Incidentally, just all the things that Everquest, WoW, Rift, LotrO, SW:TOR have.
  • Options
    bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Aaaaaagreed. Its a WOW clone with D3 button pushing and cool-down mechanics.
  • Options
    pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Neverwinter is a holy duality.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Ok.
    Neverwinter is a standard theme park with gear grind in instances T1-T2 and so on, with holy trinity (there is a tank class, an healer class, ...), with the power of character being higher with higher tier equipment, class based (and without multiclass, just like a real D&D game should have), with a tree of passive abilites and combat with in-place root when using skills.

Incidentally, just all the things that Everquest, WoW, Rift, LotrO, SW:TOR have.

Correct just like all the things MapleStory, Knight Online, RYL, Everquest, Lotro, Aion, Luna, SW:TOR, Ragnarok Online, Yulgang Online, and the list goes on... Why then is NW a clone of specifically WoW? Why then compare to WoW? You make it sound as if WoW is the first and only MMORPG in existence.
  • Options
    rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    so everyone calling the "holy trinity", which doesnt have to do in NW, came from WoW? hahahaha ... fantastic, you guys forget the basis of so called "holy trinity" already in the RPG game of D&D. even most of the fantasy game came after it are inspire by this 3 simple job of tanker, healer and damager, even MMO came before WoW such as Lineage, Ragnarok adopting this method. D&D is simply the RPG itself, if no D&D, and no Warhammer, I doubt blizzard even came with Warcraft at all. beside, if the game is that so amusing, you guys not even be here right now talking about it, just simply play it, does it? :D
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    futrix wrote: »
    This deserves to be in the lower depths for no other reason then the use of the term "wow clone"

You might as well have called the game "Hitler"

"WoW clone" is the Godwin's Law of MMO discussions.

Ten of Ten.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    kshoksho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 85
    edited May 2013
    I never played that wow-thing....from MMO i played only Aion so for me Neverwinter is Aion clone....
  • Options
    xenogear3xenogear3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is more like Diablo 3 clone.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Actually, it felt more like a tetris clone...
  • Options
    futrixfutrix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Final Fantasy Clone
    100% sure on this.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Real-Life™ clone
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a player of that now infamous MMO I would like to add its not really anything like WoW. Neverwinters more action based combat and dungeon crawling makes it more like an online Zelda than a WoW clone .

Its also better than WoW it doesnt have Pandas and Cow people :P
  • Options
    erdokanerdokan Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xumina wrote: »
    O rly?

It's a common theme in most mmorpgs pre and post-WoW. Ragnarok Online for instance requires a huge team of players to take down the final boss for the best items in game.

Again it's common in mmorpgs even pre-WoW. Most mmorps boss hunts or raiding instance frequently requires members to be sufficiently equip or experienced before starting it simply because it would be a waste of effort and time for most "elites" to teach new players how to do it. Besides, for top guild who frequently raid/boss hunt, not teaching newbies equate to having monopoly on boss or raids.

Knight Online for example requires Warrior to tank boss, Rogues to drain hp, Archers and mages to dps, cleric to heal. It is not true that cleric is mandatory in NW. Epics can be done with no cleric although I prefer having one as it saves on pots.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Need/Greed system was started by Everquest?

There can never be an set end game. Having a real endgame would simply mean there will not be anymore content coming as it is already "The End", hence most MMORPG if not all leaves their end game hanging.

Queue system is created for lazy arses like me. Too lazy to take a little more effort in finding groups. If you do not like the queue system, just go make your own group then team queue it. Problem solved.

Again, most MMORPGs pre and post WoW's end game requires group related gameplay. WoW is assumed to be a benchmark simply because people for some reason seem to think the world of MMORPG starts and end with WoW.

Get a better guild or group??? Or perhaps adjust your online time according to your guild's peak hour?

You are missing the point. It's not about the things I mentioned also being in games other than WoW. The big similarity that WoW and NW share is the group based endgame content, which is way more forced compared to other MMO's. For example, on runescape you don't have to group up with people in order to obtain the best gear (NEX/Dryg). Yes, the boss fights are pretty much impossible to solo, BUT! There are good solo moneymaking ways which not only offer variation to the grind, but also allow you to make a choice in how you want to obtain the endgame gear to do X stuff with.

NW is compared to WoW because it follows the -exact- same endgame model as WoW. Hit max level > endgame content requires you to find a group/guild > do endgame dungeons/raids as it's the only way to obtain it > PvP > notice PvP is broken. And like I said, this is even more clunky on NW because WoW has a better executed model. Sure there's the foundry, but that doesn't count as endgame content.

So like I said, if NW doesn't want to be a WoW clone then it should seriously consider creating methods for players to make amounts of AD per hour which come a lot closer to the AD/hour that you make running T2 dungeons atm. This would seriously change the endgame imo, as it would offer the player a choice, more variation, and something to do for when your guildies aren't online. BiS gear being buyable is the big difference with WoW. If people will be enabled to obtain it within reasonable terms (so not by spending $4000 or spending 2+ years grinding broken PvP) then boom, there ya go - not a WoW clone anymore.
    David Valtiere, Lvl 70 TR with perfect Lvl 60 gear which I don't want to replace cause nostalgia yo ;_;
  • Options
    mic281mic281 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 115 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    WoW clone does not only mean "static" combat. And Neverwinter combat is just like a WoW combat, only that instead to target mob with tab, you have to aim it with the crosshair. Character is rooted in place while using skills (just like static combat). And both games are based on the holy trinity tank-healer-dps (only in Neverwinter 2 clerics with Astral Shield can tank better than the tank class LOL)
    WoW clone, hoewever, means also how the progression of character is handled. In WoW and in Neverwinter you level up by farming quests and then at endgame you farm T1 instances just to get T1 gear, then you farm T2 instance just to get T2 gear and so on. Because the real power of your character is based on the equipment he wear, not how skilled is the player to play. That's gear grind. And both WoW and Neverwinter are based on gear grind.
    So yes, Neverwinter is a WoW clone. The only way you can play Neverwinter not like a WoW clone is by ignoring completely the gear grind and playing only in the Foundry quests

Once again,, WoW was not the first game to use a holy trinity. It was not the first game to use "static" combat. It definitely as not the first game that had grinding mobs or dungeons. WoW was not the first anything. What is it with people thinking that WoW, a game that ripped off it's concept from games before it and progressed by stealing concepts from games after it, is the Holy Grail of MMO ideas?

WoW was popular in the beginning because it's cartoon graphics could be run on the low end PC's that everyone had right as high speed internet was becoming available to more towns. It's still popular because anyone can play it with ease. You don't have to worry about group mechanics or dying until endgame raids, if you choose to do them.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A WoW clone would have far more in common with WoW than a few similarities. If NW is a WoW clone, then obviously the OP is a clone of me even though we are nothing alike.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    erdokan wrote: »
    You are missing the point. It's not about the things I mentioned also being in games other than WoW. The big similarity that WoW and NW share is the group based endgame content, which is way more forced compared to other MMO's. For example, on runescape you don't have to group up with people in order to obtain the best gear (NEX/Dryg). Yes, the boss fights are pretty much impossible to solo, BUT! There are good solo moneymaking ways which not only offer variation to the grind, but also allow you to make a choice in how you want to obtain the endgame gear to do X stuff with.

NW is compared to WoW because it follows the -exact- same endgame model as WoW. Hit max level > endgame content requires you to find a group/guild > do endgame dungeons/raids as it's the only way to obtain it > PvP > notice PvP is broken. And like I said, this is even more clunky on NW because WoW has a better executed model. Sure there's the foundry, but that doesn't count as endgame content.

So like I said, if NW doesn't want to be a WoW clone then it should seriously consider creating methods for players to make amounts of AD per hour which come a lot closer to the AD/hour that you make running T2 dungeons atm. This would seriously change the endgame imo, as it would offer the player a choice, more variation, and something to do for when your guildies aren't online. BiS gear being buyable is the big difference with WoW. If people will be enabled to obtain it within reasonable terms (so not by spending $4000 or spending 2+ years grinding broken PvP) then boom, there ya go - not a WoW clone anymore.

Can I say WoW is compared to DnD because it uses the same mythical race concept, the same multi-jobs, the same... oh wait... Dungeons too.... shall I then say WoW is a clone of DnD. Then when we consider Neverwinter IS part of the DnD world... shall I then say WoW is Neverwinter's clone? Or how about this... WoW requires grinding, equipment farming, boss hunting, job tiers, armor tiers, Raids, Gold farming, PVP, castle siege, equipment enhancement and enchantments, party system, ride system, Township system.... so does Ragnarok Online... Shall I then say, WoW is a Ragnarok Online clone? Oh dear... it seems like your argument that NW is WoW's clone.... invalid? Treat NWO as a game on it's own without attempts to compare it to the likes of WoW.. maybe, just maybe you'll enjoy your game more rather then whine on forum as to how much of a "clone" it is to WoW. Besides, I have yet to see talking Panda and Cows in NWO.

Oh wait... did I just saw you saying foundry is not end game content? Foundry is a content for the entirety of the game which includes End game. Tired of queuing the same dungeons over and over.... then do foundry??? I'm not talking about your push to win foundry, but rather the ones that people put alot of effort in.

It's quite clear your idea of a MMORPG revolves around Wow, I suppose that is the only MMORPG you can relate to probably because that is the first or second MMORPG you have ever played.

P/s: there are games prior to WoW that run on the exact same model as Wow. Guess what... you can only relate to WoW.. sigh
  • Options
    karaadkaraad Member Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    Obviously OP has not actually played the game. Man...all of this fuss is getting my jimmies in a rustle.

tumblr_m89m0w1OMx1rtirpmo1_500.jpg
  • Options
    gaerolthgaerolth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Its a wow clone:

1) Its online
    2) It has big bad monsters
    3) There are guilds
    4) There is crafting
    5) There is PVP

ITS A WOW CLONE!!!!

At this point I'm starting to think WoW players would consider "Don't Starve" and "CoD" WoW clones. "IT'S A GAME IT'S A WOW CLONE WOW STARTED GAMING." Heck, we did have one guy claiming WoW started as a tabletop game. Lol btw I know you're not being serious but the original poster's title really makes me wonder..
  • Options
    glaknarglaknar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 45
    edited May 2013
    TC has never played WoW? Or Has never played NW. He cannot have played both if he thinks one is a clone of the other.
  • Options
    mic281mic281 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 115 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    gaerolth wrote: »
    At this point I'm starting to think WoW players would consider "Don't Starve" and "CoD" WoW clones. "IT'S A GAME IT'S A WOW CLONE WOW STARTED GAMING." Heck, we did have one guy claiming WoW started as a tabletop game. Lol btw I know you're not being serious but the original poster's title really makes me wonder..

In the beginning, there was WoW. Then WoW created more games in it's image.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    erdokan wrote: »

/quote
    But people are too fanboy to see the truth behind the shimmering of the new MMORPG.
    NWO is a standard, classical, theme park based on all the ideas that WoW have (and other MMORPG before and after WoW, WoW it's only the most famous of them).
    The ONLY unique (in fact I play Neverwinter only for that) aspect of Neverwinter is the Foundry.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    /quote
    But people are too fanboy to see the truth behind the shimmering of the new MMORPG.
    NWO is a standard, classical, theme park based on all the ideas that WoW have (and other MMORPG before and after WoW, WoW it's only the most famous of them).
    The ONLY unique (in fact I play Neverwinter only for that) aspect of Neverwinter is the Foundry.

Let me correct you. But people are too fanboy to acknowledge that WoW is not the first nor is it original in terms of ideas and mmorpg system. NWO is a standard, classical, theme park based on all the ideas MMORPG through the ages had, but with decently good graphics. Runescape is acknowledged by the Guinness World of Records as the most popular MMORPG in the world with an approximate user of over 170m. WoW is only the most popular SUBSCRIPTION based MMORPG whose total user base is a minnow compared to Runescape. WoW is not even the most critically acclaimed MMORPG... that title goes to Phantasy Star Online.

The ONLY unique aspect of Neverwinter is.... all the Dungeons and Dragons based class, mobs, lore, language, and the list goes on. Given that Dungeons and Dragons came before WoW.... guess what... WoW is a clone of DnD... if WoW is a clone of DnD... and according to YOUR logic, NWO is a clone of WoW... therefore NWO is a clone of DnD. Considering however Neverwinter IS based on the world of DnD... despite NWO being a newer mmorpg, WoW is therefore in actuality a clone of NWO.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ranguren wrote: »
    The ONLY unique aspect of Neverwinter is.... all the Dungeons and Dragons based class,
    Classes in Neverwinter have nothing to share with classes of D&D (or you think calling a class "Guardian Fighter" will be the same that the class in the tabletop game?). Neverwinter has only some environment and names taken from the Forgotten Realm lore (and FR is NOT D&D, just one of many campaign settings)
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Classes in Neverwinter have nothing to share with classes of D&D (or you think calling a class "Guardian Fighter" will be the same that the class in the tabletop game?). Neverwinter has only some environment and names taken from the Forgotten Realm lore (and FR is NOT D&D, just one of many campaign settings)

You sir haven't played PnP 4th ed, right? Most powers and mechanics are inspired from the PHB, incluiding the Laser Cleric (Devoted) and the two core varieties of Fighter.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    edited May 2013

DnD 4 Edition's summarized definition of Guardian Fighter : A fighter class who focuses on high defense in order to mitigate damage from engaged enemies. Wields a one handed weapon and a shield and wears the best armor available. If that doesn't that sound alot like NW's Guardian fighter I don't know what does???? Do take the time to read DnD 4 Edition guide book... you will find striking similiarities in terms of stats build, heroics and etc. Beyond that, it also does help stop you from making inane statements.

Some environment and names taken from Forgotten Realm lore??? Seriously? Do you even play DnD and it's campaign?? ALL the OFFICIAL names and environment are from FR/DnD lore, barring a few exceptions such as currency.

Saying Forgotten Realms is not DnD because it's just a campaign setting is like saying the American Civil war is not American, it's just a war campaign setting that happens to be in America. Or saying a Nissan 350Z Fair Lady is not Japanese because it's just a car made and designed by Japanese in Japan. Like it or not Forgotten realm IS DnD.

Seriously the more you post, the more your ignorance show.