test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GF Block is BROKEN as of most recent patch

Comments

• spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    regnorvex wrote: »
    This is really all you need to read of this genius' post to know the value of his opinions lol.

if he actually bothered to read the Path of Exile development manifesto FORUM SECTION (think about that), he would understand the design trade offs GGG made that led to the de-synch issue and their deliberations about how best to deal with it. Yes, HP stacking is a problem and they also discuss their thoughts about how to address that and the lack of node diversity by changes to the passive tree (one very efficient design idea is to combine HP into some of the less used, even tho desirable, nodes).

The lead Dev (Chris) plays the game, posts in the forum, and is very sharp and respectful of hs player base. I mean, think about it, an entire forum section with multiple threads written by devs about what they are working on and how they are evolving the game and dealing with issues as they arise. Can you imagine that here?

All that plus a fantastic game, and downtime of less than one minute whenever they patch or do maintenance. And not one p2win element in their cash shop.

This game is fun and PoE is NOT an MMO so i am here now, but make no mistake about the world of difference between these two development teams. Not even close.

*Sigh* sorry to derail guys but, this needs answering.

First of all I did read the "fustercluck" that was the manifesto, I was patient and gave it a month (or close enough to). During which I played some old games, which were interesting in the fact that I had a new perspective on them and seen a lot more of their flaws than before. And I played some new games which showed promise, this one included.

Chris "does" indeed address his playerbase quite often, but he's not the ONLY developer voice, and he and others have quite literally made passing comments that have been repeated again and again in attempts to troll people, I'm sure he didn't MEAN for his posts to appear as they did, but lets face it if folks believe that their death penalties are too high for a game that continually desynchs and lag kills you costing you a variable amount of time from months to hours and his response was a rather blase "It was already reduced in closed beta, death is working as intended" which was clearly intended as a jibe towards folks who are reaching the conclusion that ONE of the issues has to give and if it's not the desynch it's would have to be the penalties, one cannot help but think... It's a deserved twisting of the intent of his words... Of course you COULD have argued that the real issue is their EXP curve is absolutely hilarious to look at even... like really... go look it up on their wiki... it's actually a chuckle.

I didn't debate the good aspects, level of communication (not quality) or monetization either for PoE because they're not relevant, this was purely in the subject of both subjective opinion ie: They both have their flaws. the fact you threw in the ad hominem attack was really just the icing of the rhetological fallacy cake here. Straw man arguments really, really need to just go away and stop being relied upon here. Their (GGG) monetization is fine, their lack of urgency in tackling issues for months, is not.

I don't know where you think I made the claims against those aspects either, I stated they're starting to "look" like whalers, the common denominator there being their core design is to cater to insane amounts of grinding, of course they (GGG) lack the "paid shortcuts" that we see ehm... "elsewhere" but still there it is, a great game designed for people with too much time to game, the irony being I'm someone with too much time to game, a complete no lifer at times, and every time I see a game that caters to "me" or "worse"
    I can't help but feel something has gone horribly awry.

Fun again, is subjective. PoE however IS an MMO. I think you need to re-read the definition of massive multiplayer online. Because you're being corrected on something that simple, by a "genius" as you sarcastically put it. Anyways, someone get this thread back on it's rails will ya? there's enough fanboying for PWE/Cryptic going on which is crowding out the objectivity to be salvaged here, without fanboys for GGG cropping up to refute any flaws in their ideology.

TL;DR:

The ad hominem and straw man aside, no one argued they don't BOTH have their strengths as developers, but also both have flaws and somewhat "stubborn" and sometimes arguably short sighted design ethos. The real difference in both I personally see, is that Cryptic more than likely HAVE to be careful what they say and GGG answer to themselves really.
  • zzzzzdankzzzzzdank Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spyke2009 wrote: »
    snip-off topic <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> nobody cares about not even related to this game-

You know there is such a thing as PM's for stupid off-topic arguments like this please stop derailing this thread.

Anyways, needed a bump back to page 1.
  • namarusnamarus Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just tested this extensively over and over again and here's what I'm experiencing: It works exactly the way Panderus said (http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?296372-GF-Block-is-BROKEN-as-of-most-recent-patch&p=3862412&viewfull=1#post3862412) except in this case: press and hold SHIFT key, releases and press again without pause. Then and only then do I get the "broken mechanic" described in the OP.

If I press and hold shift, then release then press again with as little as a half-second - everything works as expected. It is ONLY when pressing and then release/press again (zero delay, literally fraction of a second) that the "break" occurs.

You need to do some more testing, cause it breaks under many other circumstances. As an example, try using treathening rush and activating it right away. It will fail most of the time. Try to run a couple of dungeons, this class is now unplayable. BTW you might not experience the bug if you are siting next to the server and have zero latency.
  • quitegonejinquitegonejin Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2013
    sweetjer wrote: »
    It's not a feeling. It's a knowing. It isn't working correctly. It was before, now it's not. Y'know, I highly doubt you'd be making that particular post if whiners in the thread hadn't started discussing how we addressed your answer to us. I think it's fair that we'd get a little upset when the official response seems to be "you guys are imagining the problem it's actually smooth y'all." or what amounts to "l2p yr class" even though it worked differently a week ago. With posts like yours I can't say I'll be missing your presence in this or any other thread. Maybe you guys should get some more customer service reps to deal with these types of issues cause the skill is not with you at all. Here's how to do it: "Well we recently had to implement limitations to client-side relevance to reduce exploitation. Considering these reports and the negative impact it's had on your experience with the game we will definitely take a look to see if we can improve blocking responsiveness and eradicate this problem. Stay tuned for more info." Simple. Again answers like your first and this last post make me want to stop playing even the parts of the game I'm finding incredibly fun. I agree, you probably shouldn't have come here to begin with, and you definitely shouldn't have come back. At least not with those answers.
    So much this. +1
  • regnorvexregnorvex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    zzzzzdank wrote: »
    Please stop derailing this thread.

Agreed, sorry for my part in the distraction, but any post that states "working as designed, L2P" needs correction, lest the devs think this is a debatable issue. It is not and I have.

Bumping for the day after holiday page 1.
    "Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • nationalcity1nationalcity1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    Roll DC

Enough said........
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    torrenz1 wrote: »
    I hate to prove your point, but that's stupid. "Backlash" from a few very passionate individuals can not keep you from communicating with the playerbase.

Don't be silly. It's not his job, he's here voluntarily on a holiday weekend - quite possibly the first weekend they've had off since launch. If you disagree with him, that's fine, but being civil should be a requirement. Why would anyone voluntarily expose themselves to this:
    Need me to call a Waaaaaambulance for you? Feedback on what most think is a broken system is now considered backlash?

Boo hoo for you.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
    edited May 2013
    zzzzzdank wrote: »
    You know there is such a thing as PM's for stupid off-topic arguments like this please stop derailing this thread.

It's called a broader issue, it's loosely tied in with this mess here. I posted my piece and that's is that. More than happy to return to the points at hand.

GF is bugged, it needs a fix pronto because they DON'T need any more issues, and claiming it's a L2P issue WAS in fact suspiciously ASKING for backlash, still doesn't make folks right for snapping like they did.
  • mundanedannymundanedanny Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    panderus wrote: »
    Also, I considered not posting to this thread at all with all the backlash I got. This will certainly be my last.

Perhaps you should leave the posting to someone else on your team if you're going to be a negative nancy. Really just sound like a big sour puss. You really should just be called panderpuss. :P
    edited May 2013
    Perhaps you should leave the posting to someone else on your team if you're going to be a negative nancy. Really just sound like a big sour puss. You really should just be called panderpuss. :P

oh yeahhhh! well!!!

THIS!!!!
  • odiboyodiboy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 35
    edited May 2013
    panderus wrote: »
    Well if you guys really feel as though there is something beyond what I posted then we can look into it some. However I made the statement without researching further since there has not been any changes to the shift powers at all as far as I am aware. We have been saving those for the major content patch unless it was critical.

Also, I considered not posting to this thread at all with all the backlash I got. This will certainly be my last.

It is impossible to make the shift powers instant, without any sort of cooldowns, client side predict AND still not have any rubberbanding effects when the client is lagged whilst ignoring lag and not be exploitable. Some things must give to feel responsive in more cases and still live in the world where lag and exploits could exist.

Hey, I am sure you don't hear this enough as it seems most prefer to complain instead of accepting that things can go wrong.
    But I think you guys are doing a great job, I have been looking into this as I play a GF as well and it only happens if you drop your shield and put it up within a half a second (give or take a few ms)

The change when you moved it server side made the reaction slower in this case but it is still preferable to have everything server side (which everyone has whined trying to get) so we can stop the exploiters using client side tools.

I am most likely going to be considered a brown nose'r for saying something nice about he devs but I frankly don't care.

I am waiting for the aggro "Fix" (more like an aggro re-position) just so that my cleric won't die :D

So like I said keep up the good work, most of the complainers will eventually leave and the die-hards will remain

To all those saying the block does not work, it does. I have never had it fail when I needed it (well maybe once, its hard to keep track all the time). There is no point in dropping it to pick it up right away and if you do an attack first it wont fail. (unless you hold in the shift button within .5 seconds of letting it go) it just takes some time to get used to, but it is not broken, a shorter delay would be nice, but for that you would need to live closer to the servers.
  • sweetjersweetjer Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2013

Agreed to that. Not only is this a game forum, it's a game forum for a F2P MMO. Measured responses from Team Members should be a requirement, not our civility. If he didn't expect the exact response he got when he posted that he's either never played online games before or never been to an online forum before. In fact, as I stated already, I think most of the responses were pretty reasonable for how much of a brush-off he gave us. Some communities (and members of our community, if they cared about this) would have been wayyyy more offensive about it. Talking semantics for the bump.
    edited May 2013
    odiboy wrote: »
    To all those saying the block does not work, it does. I have never had it fail when I needed it (well maybe once, its hard to keep track all the time). There is no point in dropping it to pick it up right away and if you do an attack first it wont fail. (unless you hold in the shift button within .5 seconds of letting it go) it just takes some time to get used to, but it is not broken, a shorter delay would be nice, but for that you would need to live closer to the servers.

So what if someone lives further away from the servers than you? You're already saying the delay is a bit too long, and I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you have above-par latency. Sorry for the double post, but this came in while I was typing the other.

EDIT: one other thing, since when did complaining and being die-hard about something become mutually exclusive? I think they go hand-in-hand, it's sort of the flip-side to the coin where the other side is fanboyism........
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Better bookmark this thread for the next time someone complains about how the devs never respond here.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
    edited May 2013
    sweetjer wrote: »
    So what if someone lives further away from the servers than you? You're already saying the delay is a bit too long, and I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you have above-par latency. Sorry for the double post, but this came in while I was typing the other.

hehe I know what you mean, tbh I have no idea where the server is so I cannot really tell you much, I live in the Netherlands

I am not exactly saying its bad for me, like I said in the post, only had this happen once in combat (I can reproduce it whenever I want though since i know what causes it) in PE it is the worst, but out in the field it rarely happens and is harder to reproduce (luckily we dont have to fight in PE)

Like I said though a lower threshold would be nice but it is easy to work with for me anyway, I ofc can't talk about everyone's difference in latency.

I honestly dont know how to check my latency or MS in this game so I cannot report that :p
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Better bookmark this thread for the next time someone complains about how the devs never respond here.

Who cares if they respond if all they give us is useless information and then reject our claims out of hand? The one good thing he said was that they'd look further into it, but he also qualified it with "if you guys really feel there's a problem" and further qualified it with the word "some" implying that it was not priority. Why would we take time out of our respective days to sit here and post if we didn't know something was fishy with block?
  • possum440possum440 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not broken, but the latency is affecting the mechanic now that it has moved server side to prevent exploits. Every now and then my shield will be up and an attack will go through but the next attack is blocked if my shield is down in that same instance. I have also been knocked down with my shield up and at other times had my shield up, dropped it and blocked, so it appears it simply needs tweaked. it is working 99% of the time as it should, no more perma block as it was before.

level 32.
    There is no worse feeling in the world than the moment during an argument you realize you are wrong.
    edited May 2013
    possum440 wrote: »
    Not broken, but the latency is affecting the mechanic now that it has moved server side to prevent exploits. Every now and then my shield will be up and an attack will go through but the next attack is blocked if my shield is down in that same instance. I have also been knocked down with my shield up and at other times had my shield up, dropped it and blocked, so it appears it simply needs tweaked. it is working 99% of the time as it should, no more perma block as it was before.

level 32.

Exactly, some fine tuning will be nice but as you said it works 99% of the time, I have noticed that most of the time it doesnt work there are mass effects going on (Think boss fights with CW's) But normal fights I never really have it fail
  • blindsyn1blindsyn1 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just tested this extensively over and over again and here's what I'm experiencing: It works exactly the way Panderus said (http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?296372-GF-Block-is-BROKEN-as-of-most-recent-patch&p=3862412&viewfull=1#post3862412) except in this case: press and hold SHIFT key, releases and press again without pause. Then and only then do I get the "broken mechanic" described in the OP.

If I press and hold shift, then release then press again with as little as a half-second - everything works as expected. It is ONLY when pressing and then release/press again (zero delay, literally fraction of a second) that the "break" occurs.

This is probably why the majority of players aren't seeing the breakage. The only reason (I can understand) for this kind of "press/release/press"cycle is if the player changes their mind (released and realized they should't have, so they press again) or the finger "slips" or the finger pressure on the keypress changes, the key loses contact with the circuitry inside the keyboard, then as pressure is reapplied and contact is made again - causing this issue to occur (so subtly that the player is unaware of this as they are focused on combat, etc. - and with other fingers working, this makes complete logical sense that the pressure to hold shift key can change.)

TL;DR: I see it as a two-fold problem: 1) Possible keyboard issue. I would suggest testing with a different (more sensitive) keyboard - and I would say test with a half-second press/release of the key. Anything faster than that brings-up 2) There really IS "breakage" of the mechanic - in the case where the press/release/press cycle is less than a half-second - too fast for the cooldown to kick-in, but also too fast for the blocking mechanic to be maintained.

So much <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in one single post..... but its not worse than that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that the dev posted ( if i can call that a Dev, because it was clear that he/she doesnt know wtf he/she is talking about)...

have you played a GF? or just made one to try to test it?
    it worked fine before patch now it doesnt...hard to understand?or you think all of us just broke our shift key at the same time after the patch?
    My shield is Up, i have a full guard meter, can do aggravating strike or shield slam(only usable while guard is active) and i still take all the damage like if i wasnt blocking... like the class wasnt broken enough, now we still have to endure this? really?

im usually a calm and educated guy but reading garbage like this and the first Dev post, then reading the Dev second post, where he /she acts all offended makes me lose my temper, and i have to call that just plain imcompetence and inexperience..
    panderus i think that you really shouldnt post anymore because its clear that you dont know wtf are you saying,you just made yourself look bad and dumb...test things first before you come to the forums but im seeing that noone at your company tests anything and when we do report bugs, errors and exploits you just say that we are imagining things and everything is fine...then the game explodes in your face, like today, again....
    Your company doesnt gives a **** about us, only about Zen store...

Sorry for my bad english
    edited May 2013
    possum440 wrote: »

level 32.

99% of the time for you, but more like 70% of the time for me. So if i go in against 5 mobs, i get face rapped for shield not working properly. Also, if I don't notice my hp bar going down and i try to move back with shield up, i end up turning away of the mobs giving my back for opportunity strikes... yay.
    edited May 2013
    odiboy wrote: »
    Hey, I am sure you don't hear this enough as it seems most prefer to complain instead of accepting that things can go wrong.
    But I think you guys are doing a great job, I have been looking into this as I play a GF as well and it only happens if you drop your shield and put it up within a half a second (give or take a few ms)

The change when you moved it server side made the reaction slower in this case but it is still preferable to have everything server side (which everyone has whined trying to get) so we can stop the exploiters using client side tools.

I am most likely going to be considered a brown nose'r for saying something nice about he devs but I frankly don't care.

I am waiting for the aggro "Fix" (more like an aggro re-position) just so that my cleric won't die :D

So like I said keep up the good work, most of the complainers will eventually leave and the die-hards will remain

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-yleEs15g51w/TlrawTwZSrI/AAAAAAAABQY/gnyx4k2pzcQ/s1600/tommy-lee-jones-implied-face-palm.png

Just this picture. nothing else to add to it really, although they don't really get much positive feedback lately that much IS definitely something I can agree with.
  • talesmithtalesmith Member Posts: 116
    edited May 2013
    Bit late to the party, I just want to clear up a big reoccuring misundersting throughout this topic.
    Indeed even the very community manager seems to have completely missed the issue at hand here. Could do with a bit more inquisitiveness and less dismissiveness, but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, the problem with block is not block not being in effect instantaniously dispite the client showing block stance to make combat seem more fluid. To repeat, this is not an issue with delay!
    The issue is somehow, until lowering and raising guard again, block stance can get bugged and flat out not work. Not not working for a short delay, not working at all until the player resets his guard. In the bugged guard stance the player will see his character in stance, be capable of using his shield at wills, facing camera direction all like normal guard stance, but damage will go through and movement speed will occur as normal indefinatly.

So please, stop dismissing this as a latency issue. The problem is obviously client and server information not being on the same page on guard stance. You didn't foresee this problem as I assume it was not possible with all this stuff happening client side before, now that you've got it working partly client side and server side you'd better implement the necesary precautions to keep this stuff propperly synched.
  • treize26treize26 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For those saying it works fine, my advice is to actually play a GF. It definitely does *not* work as it's supposed to. Part of why I really enjoyed this class was originally, I was able to block, unblock - attack, and block again between incoming blows, and the blocks actually worked. It was very fluid and felt natural.

Now they're saying that there should be a cooldown between uses... fine, that's no problem. I don't like it, but if that's what's meant to be, I can deal with it. This, however, is clearly not an issue of cooldowns when we're stuck in our guard stance, limited to guard at-wills, and suffer restricted movement and still take incoming damage as if not blocking.

This is a problem that did not exist originally... it exists now... and regardless of whether or not some people feel that there's no problem, it needs to be fixed.
  • azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    treize26 wrote: »
    For those saying it works fine, my advice is to actually play a GF. It definitely does *not* work as it's supposed to. Part of why I really enjoyed this class was originally, I was able to block, unblock - attack, and block again between incoming blows, and the blocks actually worked. It was very fluid and felt natural.

Now they're saying that there should be a cooldown between uses... fine, that's no problem. I don't like it, but if that's what's meant to be, I can deal with it. This, however, is clearly not an issue of cooldowns when we're stuck in our guard stance, limited to guard at-wills, and suffer restricted movement and still take incoming damage as if not blocking.

This is a problem that did not exist originally... it exists now... and regardless of whether or not some people feel that there's no problem, it needs to be fixed.

Considering 90% of the people on this thread agree that it's horribly broken, I wouldn't worry about the 10% that showed up just to troll - every time some issue comes up there are a few people that feel the need to do that.
    Artificer.jpg
    edited May 2013
    bump for obvious reason, fix asap.
  • comaetilicocomaetilico Member Posts: 69
    edited May 2013
    azahron wrote: »
    Considering 90% of the people on this thread agree that it's horribly broken, I wouldn't worry about the 10% that showed up just to troll - every time some issue comes up there are a few people that feel the need to do that.

except that one of that 10% is actually a cryptic dev... and that makes all those that like(ed) to play a GF really sad... I already parked my GF on the bench a few day before that patch... and rolled (and already almost equipped t2) a CW... now another AH exploit... and still I've yet to see any fix to one of the dozens broken feat/power/mechanics that are reported in the bug and in every class forum (for those that think I'm exagerating the number of broken feat/power just have a look at your class froum and look for a tread that have the known bug of your classes... if u'r luky your class has only 10 or so broken power/feat...)

fortunately I'm just plaing this game to spend some of my free time while waiting for TESO (hoping it will not become like GW2 a great delusion... but let us hope...)... tomorrow a new game start it's open beta... I'll have a look at that... if it's as buggy as this maybe I'll make a jump back here (just cause I love all the D&D references...) in a couple of week to see if anything changed... but looking at cryptic and PWE history... it wil probably be the same with just a different exploit/bug added to the list and little to no fixes...

well let see... and let's hope... it will surely make me happier to have to bow down before Cryptic/pwe and say that I'm sorry to have misjudged them... even if I will still leave this game later on... still... spending my time on a non buggy game feel better than spending it on a bug feast ^^
  • raffaalaraffaala Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I did like playing my GF until this bug now it is broken and no fun to play....
  • methuselasmethuselas Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This explains why I was getting knocked back on my <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>$ today, when I was holding block and prepping. I know my wife was irritated with me yelling, "WTF? I'm blocking! Why am I taking 1000 damage!

This game is really starting to suck......
  • cheebasmokecheebasmoke Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Confirming it is an issue. I noticed it a few days ago, but learned to deal with it. Still want a fix tho...
  • azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    raffaala wrote: »
    I did like playing my GF until this bug now it is broken and no fun to play....

I know the feeling, mine is currently benched as well - I've been playing my other alts for the last few days. =/
    Artificer.jpg