Install Arc
Options

GF Block is BROKEN as of most recent patch

Comments

• Options
    gbf360gbf360 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    panderus wrote: »
    Theres actually a short cooldown and activate time on block and other Shift powers. Its better to keep block up than let it down if you are going to need it again so quickly.

They are also all predicted client side, so if theres a bit of latency and you get hit when trying to dodge/block something late it will rubberband you back, but most times it just lets block and roll feel smoother, which is critical for these sorts of abilities to feel and look better in more cases.

Im also having problems with block since the latest patch. Block is dropping for no reason and it is frustrating as hell and painful on the fingers while smashing in your shift key trying to get it to work before you cause a group wipe.
  • Options
    zzzzzdankzzzzzdank Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Theres actually a short cooldown and activate time on block and other Shift powers. Its better to keep block up than let it down if you are going to need it again so quickly.

They are also all predicted client side, so if theres a bit of latency and you get hit when trying to dodge/block something late it will rubberband you back, but most times it just lets block and roll feel smoother, which is critical for these sorts of abilities to feel and look better in more cases.

So how come after I use an encounter, or any other skill then cleave I can't block after it for a few seconds. If I attempt to put up block shortly after using any skill it not only doesn't work (even if I KEEP holding it for your stupid supposed lie of an activation time excuse) my character also starts bugging out twitching and running in all directions as if he was out of combat running forward (as in I can move backwards or side to side but my animation is that of me running forward out of combat). Not only that, but during this if I use an at will, it uses the one it would use IF I was blocking, so the game even thinks I should be blocking but I'm not. How is that a cooldown or activation issue?

Please quit trying to cover it up with a fake excuse and actually acknowledge the last patch BROKE blocking, and work on a fix for us so we can play again.

Thanks.
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zzzzzdank wrote: »
    So how come after I use an encounter, or any other skill then cleave I can't block after it for a few seconds. If I attempt to put up block shortly after using any skill it not only doesn't work (even if I KEEP holding it for your stupid supposed lie of an activation time excuse) my character also starts bugging out twitching and running in all directions as if he was out of combat running forward (as in I can move backwards or side to side but my animation is that of me running forward out of combat). Not only that, but during this if I use an at will, it uses the one it would use IF I was blocking, so the game even thinks I should be blocking but I'm not. How is that a cooldown or activation issue?

Please quit trying to cover it up with a fake excuse and actually acknowledge the last patch BROKE blocking, and work on a fix for us so we can play again.

Thanks.

My guess is that they can't fix this right now or anytime in the near future so they came up with this excuse, like others have said there was no issue till they changed how this works because of the stinking hack.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    tehjrowtehjrow Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013

The issue is that our character goes into "block mode" and can use the at-will powers that you can only use while blocking, however we're not blocking and we can move very fast (can't move fast when actually blocking).
  • Options
    spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

This. Is. Insulting.
  • Options
    mustgofartmustgofart Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013

It doesn't work, first off if there is a COOLDOWN, it shouldn't change us into a half-arsed stance where we use our block moves instead of blocking.

You can also trigger this off of the move that charges an enemy to get locked into that bugged stance but it doesn't happen near as often.

It isn't better to keep block up than let it down, It is pointless to block 90% of the time now, unless you are going to stay blocking 100% of the time but then one cannot get their guard meter back up to sustain blocking.

It is better to keep a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ton of pots than block.
    20.jpg
  • Options
    sweetjersweetjer Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    spyke2009 wrote: »
    This. Is. Insulting.

Yeah agreed. That response from Cryptic is a total brush-off. There's an outcry saying "your 'fix' makes block feel broken" and you're saying "we broke it so it feels smoother." How does this make sense? I've put A LOT of time into this game on my TR, and this sort of response from staff makes me want to quit playing even my incredibly fun to play rogue. legitimate response, plz
  • Options
    dahkohtlewdahkohtlew Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Beyond insulting.

This happened after your last patch , and you know it. You changed something on your end but don't want to admit it screwed up block.

All the players saying it started as of last patch know it was working fine before.

Pure BS.
  • Options
    zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Sorry but you need to actually log into your game and actually see what is happening than making goofy, uneducated comments.

I know that "supposedly" this is what happens under normal circumstances but honestly the development team has proven time and time again that they are not physically getting in and testing changes prior to the live version of the game. And if you claim that you are then it would probably be a better idea to use humans instead of a trained monkey. :p
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

If this is true, it needs to be eliminated. If you're going to lock us out of all our other powers and consumables while blocking, we need to be able to switch in and out of blocking smoothly.

It also doesn't address the de-sync problem where you appear to be blocking on your client, but apparently are not server-side (you're taking full damage).
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    dahkohtlewdahkohtlew Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013

More and more angered by this reply.

Block worked smooth and could be applied and dropped as needed before this patch.

Everyone is noting this that has played a GF.

Now you are hoping we didn't notice had badly you broke the mechanic trying to fix the ability to exploit it by advising us to "keep it up if we need it again quickly."

Oddly that wasn't needed before the last patch , care to explain how everyone is saying its broken now or my guess is you are gone from this thread and not touching it again after spewing this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Man, try ever bringing this issue up in PE /zone...so many trolls denying that it's a problem. Ridiculous.
  • Options
    gbf360gbf360 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Abusing the devs isnt going to get us anywhere. He is obviously unaware of the issue and was trying to help.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    gbf360 wrote: »
    Abusing the devs isnt going to get us anywhere. He is obviously unaware of the issue and was trying to help.

Then he should not pipe in without checking things out first.

Sort of the way things should be checked out before implementing into the actual game also ?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    dahkohtlew wrote: »
    Then he should not pipe in without checking things out first.

Sort of the way things should be checked out before implementing into the actual game also ?

no, he's right. You shouldn't abuse him and become aggressive, that merely walks right into a

"see? this is why the dev's aren't allowed to communicate more often on matters"

see it?
  • Options
    zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    gbf360 wrote: »

Nobody is abusing the devs. They should not be making blind statements that they have no knowledge of.

We are appreciative that he took the time to stop by and make a reply but please do not try to sugarcoat a problem that has reared it's head since they adjusted their novice coding mistake.

Guard/Block is the fundamental, class defining ability that Guardian Fighters possess. They cannot slide, evade, roll, sprint away from damage burst mechanics. They rely on a properly functioning Guard mechanic.
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    no, he's right. You shouldn't abuse him and become aggressive, that merely walks right into a

"see? this is why the dev's aren't allowed to communicate more often on matters"

see it?

Again , the DEV , that's right , the PAID DEVELOPER , should check into this , be aware of the facts , before making the post. Maybe he should use some reason and go to himself "hey there are LOTS of folks saying this broke as of last patch , I should check into that before saying everything is fine".

Or better yet , Q/A it before patching in and not have it break block to begin with.

Regardless, acting like nothing is wrong and implying that all these people in multiple threads are just imagining it is going to be worse that just not saying anything.

A better reply by far would have been , we will look into it , not "you are wrong here's the way to play".
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Again , the DEV , that's right , the PAID DEVELOPER , should check into this , be aware of the facts , before making the post. Maybe he should use some reason and go to himself "hey there are LOTS of folks saying this broke as of last patch , I should check into that before saying everything is fine".

Or better yet , Q/A it before patching in and not have it break block to begin with.

Regardless, acting like nothing is wrong and implying that all these people in multiple threads are just imagining it is going to be worse that just not saying anything.

A better reply by far would have been , we will look into it , not "you are wrong here's the way to play".

Well, I can understand why it might not have been as thoroughly QA'd as we might wish, because it was an emergency fix to stop an exploit.

And if you're going to insist that developers research their answers before posting, then I hope you're happy with them not posting at all, let alone on their holiday weekends. I think you're being oversensitive if you think he was saying "this is the way to play." I read his post as just explaining how the system works. I also think that the system no longer works since the logic was removed from the client, and it needs to be looked at again.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Regardless, becoming aggressive merely walks into further justification of a lack of in depth communication from Cryptic. Their posts are usually short, sweet and don't usually include much info. IMHO.

Be angry if you need to be, but being aggressive or passive aggressive will just walk you into a stonewalling.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Regardless, becoming aggressive merely walks into further justification of a lack of in depth communication from Cryptic. Their posts are usually short, sweet and don't usually include much info. IMHO.

Be angry if you need to be, but being aggressive or passive aggressive will just walk you into a stonewalling.

Add "often wrong" to their short and sweet posts and you'd have it nailed.

Yes , my one class I want to play has had it's main mechanic broken , and the dev reply insinuating it's always been this way is something that pissed me off.

I should expect this by now from Cryptic though.
  • Options
    nam19772nam19772 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    @spyke2009: On the other hand, it's probably better to have angry customers than no customers at all.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    nam19772 wrote: »
    @spyke2009: On the other hand, it's probably better to have angry customers than no customers at all.

Bit of an odd thing to say, given one more often than not leads to the other.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I do like the fact that all of these off-topic posts about how to address dev-speak are keeping visibility for the issue up, but it's starting to weigh the thread down and turn into something that's even less constructive than semantics. Let's re-rail this thread.
  • Options
    azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Considering a Guardian's entire threat mechanic (Mark) relies on constantly dropping your guard to mark stuff (AKA adds) and then quickly blocking again so that they don't cause you damage and remove the afore mentioned mark immediately... sorry, but it doesn't feel smoother at all - and neither does repeatedly getting hit in the face while my shield is "up".
    For all of the other classes it seems to work great, my Rogue dodges beautifully when necessary, and my Wizard quickly blinks out of harm's way each time.
    However those classes don't need to constantly cycle Guard and other powers the way Guardians do, for the other classes it's a get out of trouble button, for Guardians it's a constantly needed mechanic.
    Artificer.jpg
  • Options
    ekojinekojin Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hope, Hope, HOPE the dev's get on this, because this is BROKEN. Guard, as someone said before, is the cornerstone ability for Guardian Fighters, every GF has noticed the broken mechanic now and there is no real functional workaround.. it is just Broken and needs Fixed asap.

Keep the posts coming even if it's just, "broken for me too", put in a ticket on it, tweet em', make sure they know this needs to be high priority.

Please, Fix, Stat.
  • Options
    panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2013
    Well if you guys really feel as though there is something beyond what I posted then we can look into it some. However I made the statement without researching further since there has not been any changes to the shift powers at all as far as I am aware. We have been saving those for the major content patch unless it was critical.

Also, I considered not posting to this thread at all with all the backlash I got. This will certainly be my last.

It is impossible to make the shift powers instant, without any sort of cooldowns, client side predict AND still not have any rubberbanding effects when the client is lagged whilst ignoring lag and not be exploitable. Some things must give to feel responsive in more cases and still live in the world where lag and exploits could exist.
  • Options
    wednesdaywoe13wednesdaywoe13 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Blocking is definitely borked. I was wondering why my GF has been struggling so much--I thought it was a consequence of leveling and fighting tougher enemies.

After some testing, I found that a MINMUM of a strong "one-onethousand" count after releasing shift was needed before trying to re-shield. In some cases, re-shielding would STILL fail after waiting a full second. A 1-2 second lag (or hey, lets sugarcoat it and call it a "cool down") is simply too long for this ability to function in a game that is billed as an "action" title. If you want this to be an action game, you need consider responsiveness a high priority.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well if you guys really feel as though there is something beyond what I posted then we can look into it some. However I made the statement without researching further since there has not been any changes to the shift powers at all as far as I am aware. We have been saving those for the major content patch unless it was critical.

Also, I considered not posting to this thread at all with all the backlash I got. This will certainly be my last.

It is impossible to make the shift powers instant, without any sort of cooldowns, client side predict AND still not have any rubberbanding effects when the client is lagged whilst ignoring lag and not be exploitable. Some things must give to feel responsive in more cases and still live in the world where lag and exploits could exist.

Gotcha. Our block had to "give".

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

It's not a feeling. It's a knowing. It isn't working correctly. It was before, now it's not. Y'know, I highly doubt you'd be making that particular post if whiners in the thread hadn't started discussing how we addressed your answer to us. I think it's fair that we'd get a little upset when the official response seems to be "you guys are imagining the problem it's actually smooth y'all." or what amounts to "l2p yr class" even though it worked differently a week ago. With posts like yours I can't say I'll be missing your presence in this or any other thread. Maybe you guys should get some more customer service reps to deal with these types of issues cause the skill is not with you at all. Here's how to do it: "Well we recently had to implement limitations to client-side relevance to reduce exploitation. Considering these reports and the negative impact it's had on your experience with the game we will definitely take a look to see if we can improve blocking responsiveness and eradicate this problem. Stay tuned for more info." Simple. Again answers like your first and this last post make me want to stop playing even the parts of the game I'm finding incredibly fun. I agree, you probably shouldn't have come here to begin with, and you definitely shouldn't have come back. At least not with those answers.