test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Back to WoW everyone

12346»

Comments

• robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Umm other than not anticipating the initial surge of customers it was a great release. Everything in game worked and worked well. Even during its "beta". before wow, the entire MMO population could be measured in 6 digits.

You know, I've never even played, and I know better than this.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • gaerolthgaerolth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Umm other than not anticipating the initial surge of customers it was a great release. Everything in game worked and worked well. Even during its "beta". before wow, the entire MMO population could be measured in 6 digits.

Got stuck in the loot bug when mining/looting corpses for hours at a time. Even logging out and back in resulted in being stuck in the animation being unable to attack. I got stuck under the world four times with no way out. Servers got shut down for DAYS at a time. That part alone would have people screaming going "Foul" these days. In fact, it happened with d3 in Korea and they all wanted their money back. I wouldn't call that a stable launch. The thing is WOW was the best in it's hayday in my opinion and at the time it was something new and fresh.

Not just that there was nothing else of it's quality around at the time. Nothing else like it and this is the main reason why it's still a success to this day. PEople have grown attached to their characters, their guilds, friends, etc. It's still pretty well polished and regularly releasing new content but I don't think for a moment if WoW released today instead of back then.. it would have flopped hard. WoW has the advantage of releasing at the right time and the right day. I also fully believe.. when Titan is released all the WoW fan's will claim it sucks. Just the same with every mmo launch.

Because in the end this is what happens. WoW is their favorite game and for many of them it's their first mmo. They love WoW. They get "bored" of it and play another mmo. Within a week they miss WoW and move back regardless of the new game's quality. This has been true of every single mmo release. You have a few people who truly are sick of wow, people who were never interested in wow in the first place, and people who feel burned by WoW/patch/expansion.

So it boils down to this. Either my post is correct or every mmo since wow has sucked. Personally.. I find that to be unreasonable to believe so I'm going with the above. WoW isn't a bad game but a game doesn't need 1,000,000 subs to be good.
  • abombination247abombination247 Member Posts: 1,279 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    gohlar wrote: »
    8 mil still puts this game and most of the competition to shame.

It is a lot yes. but not compaired to a monster of a game it used to be. Its a sad shell of a game and everyone knows that. More will leave. Then it will be 6million. Then 5million. Then more games. Then WoW will go free 2 play just to function with better games.
  • abombination247abombination247 Member Posts: 1,279 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Although I hate WoW, I agree with the OP....Neverwinter is just another PW PoS Pay to Win game.
    Did I mention PAY TO WIN?

Every game is pay to win. its the year 2013.
  • swoomustdienowswoomustdienow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 136 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    mutharex wrote: »
    Actually, compared to NWN 1, it was quite lame and not up to that standard (IMHO but also of most players)
    It kinda flopped when it came out

Shockingly, the add-on pack for it , Mask of the Betrayer, was one of the best RPG's I've ever played though (imo). The soul eating mechanic is kind of annoying, but man that story was fantastic.
  • drzeyusdrzeyus Banned Users Posts: 87
    edited May 2013
    WoW isnt expected to last that much past 2014 anyway. The new blizzard MMO nicknamed titan. Now that MMO will probly be the deathknell for WoW but blizzard doesnt care cause they are making it. The one neverwinter has to watch out for is Elderscrolls that probly will take many players away from this game and WoW

I will keep checking on this game i wont ever spend any more money on it but will keep playing. Until Elderscrolls then i will be playing that instead. Unless that one totally ends up sucking.

lol
  • rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    gohlar wrote: »
    If both were being released today, which would we all be playing?

I would be playing Neverwinter, because it is based off of Dungeons & Dragons.
    The meaning of life, is to give life meaning.
  • wrecknshopwrecknshop Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What you do with your time is your own business OP. But let's consider the facts...WoW is older and more refined than Neverwinter is at the moment. Neverwinter is presently in "beta" stage so the patience for constructive input to help refine the game is needed. WoW is subscription based and the total money spent accrued over time is steady whereas the option to pay for items/currency in Neverwinter is available but not required along with subscription free content that is accessible. Now don't get me wrong, Wow does have good points as well. WoW has a more varied and numerous player-base with a lot of guilds being tight knit communities. It also has more defined "class balance" (my opinion on that is another story). Yet, all of WoW's benefits arise from a major influence...development time, which Neverwinter is yet to catch up to. So, I wouldn't give up on Neverwinter for the imperfections it may contain. Regardless, good luck.
    A winner does not distress over the fact that the situation seems unlikely to be won but over the detail that once victory is achieved the thrill is diminished...
  • daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Sorry, daily burn out from World of Warcraft pretty much convinced me that I am done with the game for good. Even if for some reason things don't work out for me here at NWO, I will never return to WoW.
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • tormeantedtormeanted Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bejita231 wrote: »
    Sorry to say but its back to WoW, NW failed me with its crappy balance and p2w cash shop, WoW 5.3 = baseline 65% resil so yes you can actually pvp again on your chars, sorry but even WoW is better than P2W, I am many others are now going back to WoW, Wildstar.....lets see what you can do

Key words "*back* to wow".
    Obviously if wow was any good, he wouldn't have left in the first place.
    Yet this kid is going to go play it anyway....
  • tormeantedtormeanted Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wrecknshop wrote: »
    What you do with your time is your own business OP. But let's consider the facts...WoW is older and more refined than Neverwinter is at the moment. Neverwinter is presently in "beta" stage so the patience for constructive input to help refine the game is needed. WoW is subscription based and the total money spent accrued over time is steady whereas the option to pay for items/currency in Neverwinter is available but not required along with subscription free content that is accessible. Now don't get me wrong, Wow does have good points as well. WoW has a more varied and numerous player-base with a lot of guilds being tight knit communities. It also has more defined "class balance" (my opinion on that is another story). Yet, all of WoW's benefits arise from a major influence...development time, which Neverwinter is yet to catch up to. So, I wouldn't give up on Neverwinter for the imperfections it may contain. Regardless, good luck.

I'm not on the OP's side here, but your argument is ridiculous.
    Every new piece of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> game that comes out has fanbois crying that it can;t be perfect on day 1.
    But those games never get/got better.
    Just look at SWTOR and Tera for example now that they have been out for almost 2 years.... they didn't get better, they died.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited May 2013
    Sorry to say but its back to WoW, NW failed me with its crappy balance and p2w cash shop, WoW 5.3 = baseline 65% resil so yes you can actually pvp again on your chars, sorry but even WoW is better than P2W, I am many others are now going back to WoW, Wildstar.....lets see what you can do

Let me know how that free play in WoW goes for you.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    Let me know how that free play in WoW goes for you.

Here is an off topic post but sorta relevant Syber since you are a mod at STO..what is Cryptics stance on non constructive Tro..errr posting? Most other MMO forums take a pretty dim view, but Cryptic seems to let it ride no matter how blatant it is or how insulting the poster gets.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here is an off topic post but sorta relevant Syber since you are a mod at STO..what is Cryptics stance on non constructive Tro..errr posting? Most other MMO forums take a pretty dim view, but Cryptic seems to let it ride no matter how blatant it is or how insulting the poster gets.

Edited : I was being a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by roents
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
  • killz2manykillz2many Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    He just needs his addiction filled. Most people play wow because they're addicted to upgrading gear and other pointless things. Neverwinter is more of a game for people who enjoy games. Hopefully more people like this will move out so players who will enjoy the game move in and stay longer than if it where filled with farm, afk, lfm spam as it is now.
    Killz2Many ~ Greatest Weapon Fighter ~ Dragon Shard
    game-of-thrones-dani-burn-deal-with-it.gif
    edited May 2013
    killz2many wrote: »
    He just needs his addiction filled. Most people play wow because they're addicted to upgrading gear and other pointless things. Neverwinter is more of a game for people who enjoy games. Hopefully more people like this will move out so players who will enjoy the game move in and stay longer than if it where filled with farm, afk, lfm spam as it is now.

Good point, I invited one of my friends who is big into WoW, to play and he blows through the content in just a few day, and come to find out he missed a lot of really cool sidequest and such in the mad rush to 60. WoW has conditioned a lot of people to that little narrow game play style..it's sad and scary all at the same time
  • clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Good point, I invited one of my friends who is big into WoW, to play and he blows through the content in just a few day, and come to find out he missed a lot of really cool sidequest and such in the mad rush to 60. WoW has conditioned a lot of people to that little narrow game play style..it's sad and scary all at the same time

Dare I say we agree on this one?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by roents
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
  • awwyissmfbcawwyissmfbc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I'm sorry you couldn't be f***'d to get gear in wow before 5.3. Have fun with your base resil, AKA getting ganked in the world by hardcore raiders (though considering your lack of interest in working for anything, I'm guessing you play on a carebear server.)
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I can equally answer that, since I'm a PWE mod. (RaiderZ, BOI, and WOI, if you're wondering.)

Mods aren't actually representatives of PWE/Cryptic, and are allowed their own opinions. So long as their post doesn't blatantly violate ToS, yes, they can and do get a little snarky. After all, mods are members of the community as well as players too.

Usually it's up to the individual CM of the board in which the moderator is appointed as to what behavior is acceptable, and what isn't. But there isn't a universal code of conduct for mods, beyond the ToS.

Basically, if you find a mod's behavior problematic, you can report via the ticketing and support website, or PM the community manager of the relevant board. (STO, in their case, requires a ticket be submitted as CMs/mods can't reply to board PMs. However, PWE CMs can. )
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
    edited May 2013
    I can equally answer that, since I'm a PWE mod. (RaiderZ, BOI, and WOI, if you're wondering.)

Mods aren't actually representatives of PWE/Cryptic, and are allowed their own opinions. So long as their post doesn't blatantly violate ToS, yes, they can and do get a little snarky. After all, mods are members of the community as well as players too.

Usually it's up to the individual CM of the board in which the moderator is appointed as to what behavior is acceptable, and what isn't. But there isn't a universal code of conduct for mods, beyond the ToS.

Basically, if you find a mod's behavior problematic, you can report via the ticketing and support website, or PM the community manager of the relevant board. (STO, in their case, requires a ticket be submitted as CMs/mods can't reply to board PMs. However, PWE CMs can. )

Umm thanks but wasn't really talking about Mods behavior they are okay for the most part...was talking more about certain problematic posters.

But thanks for the insight..I guess that applies to everyone.
    edited May 2013
    Umm thanks but wasn't really talking about Mods behavior they are okay for the most part...was talking more about certain problematic posters.

But thanks for the insight..I guess that applies to everyone.

Sorry, misunderstood. It's late for me -.-. As far as problematic/troll posters go....the individual mods and CMs usually have an idea of who they are and their actions vary from board to board. Cryptic/PWE's rules in general are defined by Rules of Conduct for that particular board, and other addenda as determined by mods/staff.

Usually, the community tends to ignore their posts so mods/CMs don't have to take a lot of action....unless it gets blatantly out of hand (flaming, insulting, etc.).
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • ancientwolfgr808ancientwolfgr808 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    marcavius wrote: »
    This is beginning to look like the forums for SW:TOR when tons of players that truly (with all their hearts) believed "this game is the one, this is the one that beats out Blizzard." Shortly after, P2W for that too. Why do I have founder? I'm a sucker for everything D&D. Have my insider account, still running a nwn2 server..yeah. But, if you think this game is any better apart from the slightly more modern twitch game play, you're kidding yourselves.

(Missing Forum Quote Within a Quote. HEY! FREE TO INSTALL FORUM SOFTWARE! WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED?)

You know...this I'm just laughing at. Glass houses. Just...glass houses.

The last thing to do the franchise any justice was NWN2. Well I'll give NWO some credit, it brought the modding community more assets to rip.

The foundry has incredible potential. Keyword. Potential. Time will tell though.

All it needs now is draconic forum sweeps to further imply greatness coffin nails. That used to work years ago but since the popularity of social networking/youtubing/honest gaming review sites has grown, cant really get away with squelching darker reviews of the companies offerings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Still trying to find a reference to AD in my AD&D Manuals.
    edited May 2013
    Sorry, misunderstood. It's late for me -.-. As far as problematic/troll posters go....the individual mods and CMs usually have an idea of who they are and their actions vary from board to board. Cryptic/PWE's rules in general are defined by Rules of Conduct for that particular board, and other addenda as determined by mods/staff.

Usually, the community tends to ignore their posts so mods/CMs don't have to take a lot of action....unless it gets blatantly out of hand (flaming, insulting, etc.).

Cool yeah I noticed they disabled the new player ability to post to eliminate all the alt forum accounts being created. It may be set up on a timer or level requirement...that has done a lot to reduce to signal to noise ratio...but I'm getting off topic so....
    edited May 2013
    Cool yeah I noticed they disabled the new player ability to post to eliminate all the alt forum accounts being created. It may be set up on a timer or level requirement...that has done a lot to reduce to signal to noise ratio...but I'm getting off topic so....

Actually, that restriction just about predates the NW forums (it's an anti-spam measure PWE implemented some time back to address a rash of sports spam threads). It's based on the time from the first post an account makes in any thread.

But anyway, back to the regularly scheduled topic....(though this qualifies as either (a) an "I quit" thread or (b) discussion of another MMO) so I expect a lock and a move to TLD soonish....
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

• teethxteethx Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yup I am hoping Wildstar would let me into the beta, this game could be really nice but the company that backs it is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> beyond <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I have never experienced such poor services in my life, they really show their true colors in the costumer service.
  • ancientwolfgr808ancientwolfgr808 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited May 2013

It's VBulletin. Savvy ones walk right past it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Still trying to find a reference to AD in my AD&D Manuals.
  • prysianprysian Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Go back then OP, I'm loving it right here. :)
  • holt3holt3 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh, the troll thread got ya'll so hardcore...

You know what I always said about WoW, 10 million people play it... 10 million people also watch American Idol, and Honey Boo Boo. Is it possible that there are 10 million morons out there?
  • trannysupergaytrannysupergay Banned Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    Hell no not WoW. But i am waiting for Elderscrolls thats going to be sweet.
  • kieronblackkieronblack Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll give NWO its due for being a fun side game, but that is true of Cryptic's two other games as well. I like NWO, I have no desire to play WoW, but I can't pretend that NWO will ever be a primary MMO for me, either.