test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Does GWF truley need a buff? Or are we perfectly fine? PvE Talk.

Comments

• usagi2697usagi2697 Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    Whatever they fix on GWF or any other balancing, I just want to not be killed in one hit. That's all.
  • vvintrevvintre Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You know the problems with GWF are:

1, Their "dodge" (shift ability) doesn't actually dodge, running away? you'll still get hit.

2, TERRIBLE TERRIBLE damage, GWF single target is 1/4 that of a rogue.

3, Lack of decent abilities, little to no control, weak AoE spells, interruptable daily spells, and no utility.

4, Weak survivability, even with plate-wearing and unstoppable, they still get 2-shotted.

Mages are mages, rogues are rogues, and a two-hander is supposed to be a two-hander.
  • zyxs72zyxs72 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think the GWF dont need a DMG Buff. When you concentrate on the right stats its fine.
    The only problem i have with my GWF is, that my attack speed or the speed of my attack animations are to slow.
  • usagi2697usagi2697 Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    zyxs72 wrote: »
    I think the GWF dont need a DMG Buff. When you concentrate on the right stats its fine.
    The only problem i have with my GWF is, that my attack speed or the speed of my attack animations are to slow.

I agree on the animation thingy...
    At-wills are quite slow and other encounters, such as Indomitable Battle Strike has a second delay before it lands.
    But I don't know about a fix for this, it looks like they are intended to be like that - 2 handed sword is supposed to have a slower swing than other weapons I guess.
    I'm still stick with a dps or defense buff. I mean if GWF has a slow atk speed, at least it has to be powerful.
    Just compare Indomitable Battle Strike - the highest GWF encounter and Lashing Blade - TR encounter.
    Lashing Blade is completely over Indomitable Battle Strike in term of DPS and animation speed.
  • boneymboneym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    truthfully i want unstoppable to give life steal as well since it used to have us ignore cc. Basically i look at GWF's as tryndamere from LOL and though the thought is somewhat laughable i do think its a little ridiculous that unstoppable doesn't stop the fact that you are very much stoppable. I've got a level 50 GWF and things are generally good but I feel like if we had a better healing method that wasn't restoration strike we might be a little more viable in PvP and higher level dungeons. That said, mostly I just want my cleric to not be dead immediately into every single freaking fight lvl 46+ as far as PVE goes. Everyone here is talking damage but even with the current kit I think GWF would be just fine with a little more staying power. I find myself often Resurrecting my companion just so I can buy time for healing. In LOL tryndamere has his q for this type of situation so that after all is said and done he can win an engagement post ulti since his health bar is unpredictable (i play a fair amount of ap trynd). GWF's need to be thee same (and truthfully i think that would be a way better final sentinel feat than he current one with restoring strike (which by the way was great 30 and under but really starts losing its appeal when you realize you could be stacking more CC.
  • bak0nbak0n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    usagi2697 wrote: »
    Whatever they fix on GWF or any other balancing, I just want to not be killed in one hit. That's all.

So you don't want them to be a rogue or wizard then. Gotcha.

I will say. Up to 30ish GWF's are horrible. Afterward they start to come into their own. The only buff they need is an early game buff, nothing more.
  • stolly76stolly76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 70
    edited May 2013
    No don't need it. Move along.
  • zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GWFs need to play an effective roll in a group so they are are not replaced by a 2nd of any other class. The class should be good enough that 2 of them is fine. Right now end game any 1 GWF is a liability. 2 of them is a doomed group.
  • silknightsilknight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 199
    edited May 2013
    I knew this was going to be a problem for a while now, that all our moves and abilities don't scale as well as other classes. That's really the main issue. The BW4 nerf was a joke, only tested for a few weeks before BW4. Such poor design decisions crippled the class, and they haven't had the time to fix it, not when they're focused on keeping a leaky boat afloat, and poorly at that with all the exploits that were reported in the Beta Weekends and still made it over. And for everyone who thinks or thought the class was fine, their views are narrow and skewed. Now that more and more are hitting end tier, it's become clear which classes function properly, and which classes are for lack of better terms "a waste of space". Here's hoping for some needed balancing to come our way, but I'm not holding my breath for any fixes soon. Decided to roll a DC while my 12.2k GS GWF sits on the bench.
  • hardegangerhardeganger Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I play a rogue and a Great weapon fighter at nearly levl 40 both.
    Ithe rogue is by far better than the GWF, but when bullying big mobs the GWF can realy shine. Anyway,while i think that he could realy have a little bit more damage, I think the main problem are the rogue und the CW. While playing with the shieldwarrior, that static combat works awesome with the GWF. but rogue and mostly CW splatter the enemys around the map, working against the GWF.
  • sauciflard1sauciflard1 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Was GWF so OP before the nerf during the closed beta?
    I'm just wondering why they nerfed GWF as I've read somewhere.
  • extinction777extinction777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 185 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Was GWF so OP before the nerf during the closed beta?
    I'm just wondering why they nerfed GWF as I've read somewhere.

An alpha tester would be the only one that could really answer that question in my opinion. Any of us that got to test the closed beta weekends did not have access to the end game content or max level.

During closed beta from my observations the GWF was fine, it is the end game design that really hurts them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Extinction - GWF
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just ran my first T2 recently. Group makeup was GWF(myself), CW, TR, TR, Cleric. It was right before the server had to go down. We were on the Lair of the Pirate King. Now this could be due to tons of adds but I was somewhere around 6mil damage dealt and several 100k up on the two rogues. To me if anything I felt OP for a Defender class. But then again I am built for AoE and there was a lot of adds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hedas8hedas8 Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »
    I just ran my first T2 recently. Group makeup was GWF(myself), CW, TR, TR, Cleric. It was right before the server had to go down. We were on the Lair of the Pirate King. Now this could be due to tons of adds but I was somewhere around 6mil damage dealt and several 100k up on the two rogues. To me if anything I felt OP for a Defender class. But then again I am built for AoE and there was a lot of adds.

if GWF had 90% of rogues dps they would do 4.5X the damage assuming an average of 5 targets. right now GWF do some 25% of rogue dps, but you can still out dps rogues 1.25X if you hit an average of 5 targets. all of that assuming rogues at wills just have bigger numbers (not better mechanics) and are using no aoe whatsoever like dazing strike.
    "Vera libertas dissipabis omnem tantibus" me.
    Hedas 60 GWF.
    Hrod 60 GF.
    Alain Loreweaver 60 CW.
    Dragon.
  • snugglemancersnugglemancer Member Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    hedas8 wrote: »
    if GWF had 90% of rogues dps they would do 4.5X the damage assuming an average of 5 targets. right now GWF do some 25% of rogue dps, but you can still out dps rogues 1.25X if you hit an average of 5 targets. all of that assuming rogues at wills just have bigger numbers (not better mechanics) and are using no aoe whatsoever like dazing strike.

and if we're doing only 1.25x the damage we're WAY behind the damage needed to compete with rogues given the nature of AoE vs. Single target damage. GWFs should be pulling at minimum 1.5x the overall damage of a rogue to even be considered pulling their weight in a party.
  • hedas8hedas8 Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    and if we're doing only 1.25x the damage we're WAY behind the damage needed to compete with rogues given the nature of AoE vs. Single target damage. GWFs should be pulling at minimum 1.5x the overall damage of a rogue to even be considered pulling their weight in a party.

there are also things like steel blitz and aoe diminishing returns to consider. also single target dps have some innate advantages over aoe, for example if you can outright kill 1 out of 5 enemies from a group the group dps has just been mitigated by ~20% maybe more if the one is the main dps of the group.
    "Vera libertas dissipabis omnem tantibus" me.
    Hedas 60 GWF.
    Hrod 60 GF.
    Alain Loreweaver 60 CW.
    Dragon.
  • nexdinenexdine Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah at the moment it feels like the GWF class needs a big red sign on it before you pick it, "Warning: nobody will want you in a team once you hit 60 and want to do epics!"

I love the class and enjoy playing it, but it would be nice to not just hear crickets when it's time to group.

Doing something about the CW kicking-stuff-over-the-ledge exploit would be a solid start so they're not only otherwise more desirable in a group but also overpowered due to that particular mechanic...

And some of that 60% that got amputated from the GWF needs to go back in. It's not enough to be able to do AoE to be desirable for the end-game stuff.
  • werylanwerylan Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've spent alot of time working on my GWF ... I'm not in a guild .. finally managed to get 2 pieces of Avatar of War gear .. sitting at a little over 10k GS ..
    IMO GWF dps is a sad joke. Unless they change something our class has no place in a party. CW is better a better choice simply for the control aspect that most dungeons require. I don't need our dps to be higher ... I need our abilities to matter.
    Example: Come and Get It needs to pull for atleast 2-3 seconds and then stun for 1 second.
    I am also going to shelve my GWF and work on my other characters for awhile.
    Like many of you I very much doubt anything will change with the GWF for atleast 6 months minimum at which point no one will play them anyway.
    Also would help if the development would talk to us about how they feel about the class.
  • yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    vvintre wrote: »
    You know the problems with GWF are:

1, Their "dodge" (shift ability) doesn't actually dodge, running away? you'll still get hit.

2, TERRIBLE TERRIBLE damage, GWF single target is 1/4 that of a rogue.

3, Lack of decent abilities, little to no control, weak AoE spells, interruptable daily spells, and no utility.

4, Weak survivability, even with plate-wearing and unstoppable, they still get 2-shotted.

Mages are mages, rogues are rogues, and a two-hander is supposed to be a two-hander.

1. I found Sprint is actually worse than just walking away, or I've got specific horrible lag. Takedown often misses on an opponent if he walks to a flanking position. But attacks like a tr's dazing strike and lashing blade can both hit me one after the other after I ran all the way across the platform away from them.
    Mighty Leap was supposedly buffed as being a dodge, but the time-frame it allows to act as a dodge is extremely small. I've been lashed, choked, stunned, dazed and just plain one-shotted during every part of that whole, long animation. It needs a whole lot mode dodge for it's buck.

2. It's just wrong that after dispatching a whole group there are always one or two stubborn one that then take twice as long to kill. Single target damages is just wrong for something that ought to hit that hard. My GF is in it's 30ish, but it always felt he did more damage with a single strike than my GWF ever did.

3. GWF's do have the basic skills, and honestly, at least in theory I think their paragon paths line up nicely with their powers. Crowdcontrol is actually not to bad either, a CW has two dailies that allow him to specifically direct mobs to, GWF's have a rough push (roar) and a great pull (come and get it) as encounters on pretty decent cooldowns. And takedown is great to get a bigger mob off of someone, flourish is a decent interrupter, roar a lot less so. But I reckon the GWF shines when he needs to herde the mobs, help the CW finish them and tackle the tougher ones who broke free.

They just need to do it better. Takedown could be less missable, maybe Roar could push over cliffs and Savage Advance not follow over one? Mighty Leap should be more dodge and a small aoe interrupt, Sprint should either become a dodge or offer more defense (without OPing the instigator path).

4. Well, fully stacked Sentinals are very tough and it scales extremely with enchantments and runes. I found survivability at any pre60 level quite decent for 'scale armor', but that was totally different at 60 going against (and wearing) purple gear.

This is anecdotal, but still, I like jumping into the biggest group of mobs I can find, have them get a few hits in and then muscle up to whack the heck out of them. Being Unstoppable with 50% damage reduction actually means something, in pve. In pvp for me it means a double whammy of the green stuff and anything that follows ends that idea.

So basically.. erhm.. yeah... what he said ;)
  • holsacholsac Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My opinion of the true problem with GWF is that they can solo stomp the leveling missions.

While this thread is about the 'end game' effectiveness of the GWF. Any type of buff we get has to also be 'balanced' around the 'solo leveling missions', PvP, Foundries, and the 'Epic dungeons'.
  • vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I feel like the GWF can keep up on the dps charts only when theirs more then 5+ mobs

Doubt it, as the gwf is capped to four mobs. Yes, four mobs.

Lately some P2W people have found a kind of niche, a way to make the gwf playable at least in PvP, basically by playing it in a completely alternative way, putting stat points in CHA, going full survivability, things like that. And yes, wearing P2W gear. That is, just the alternative build will bring you nowhere, it has to be combined with P2W.

So, yes, taking into account what is now considered the standard for a gwf (but is quite counter-intuitive, costs billions ans is very vulnerable to nerfs), there is no need of a PvP buff. Providing the said gwfs are happy to be GFs with Unstoppable and CHA.
    English is not my first language.
  • keobiaakeobiaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    vortix44 wrote: »
    Doubt it, as the gwf is capped to four mobs. Yes, four mobs.

Lately some P2W people have found a kind of niche, a way to make the gwf playable at least in PvP, basically by playing it in a completely alternative way, putting stat points in CHA, going full survivability, things like that. And yes, wearing P2W gear. That is, just the alternative build will bring you nowhere, it has to be combined with P2W.

So, yes, taking into account what is now considered the standard for a gwf (but is quite counter-intuitive, costs billions ans is very vulnerable to nerfs), there is no need of a PvP buff. Providing the said gwfs are happy to be GFs with Unstoppable and CHA.

5 targets. Mighty leap and Avalanche of steel uncapped.

The class works perfectly fine in PvE or PvP. Having to "P2W" to be viable is absolute drivel. Good GWF's wrecked people pre-buff patch.

It's true that some people are going full health sentinel spec with tenebrous and it is pretty strong, but it doesn't detract from the fact that GWF's are just straight up strong even without the enchants.

Baseline Sentinel spec has 50% deflection chance with Bravery and Weapon Master and with the Unstoppable temp health and restoring strike, going 20-0 becomes a regular thing.

Queuing up for PvP as any spec in reasonable gear you should be nothing short of a demolition ball in PvP.
  • fimcontefimconte Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The only reason I haven't bothered leveling my GWF up is how gimpy sprint is compared to Dodging.

If they would change Sprint into some sort of Dodge Mechanic (that gives the same immune effect as CW/TR/DC), then I think GWFs would be in a lot better place.
    Fans Glory to the Gladiators,
    Gods Glory to the Heroes.

TR:Anirul Corrino@Fimconte
    GF:Irulan Corrino@Fimconte
  • gabryelgabryel Member Posts: 542 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    holsac wrote: »
    My opinion of the true problem with GWF is that they can solo stomp the leveling missions.

While this thread is about the 'end game' effectiveness of the GWF. Any type of buff we get has to also be 'balanced' around the 'solo leveling missions', PvP, Foundries, and the 'Epic dungeons'.

You can also "solo stomp" leveling missions as a CW. I've rolled both classes and while I can't just "face tank" a room of enemies while standing in one place with a CW; with proper pulling, evading, and CC juggling, I can manage well enough to not need to use any potions during fights. If I have a cleric to top me off between fights, I don't need potions at all. Whenever I get a full stack of potions on my CW, I just mail it to my GWF so that the doesn't have to spend money on them.

That can't be the justification for GWFs having no niche in groups.
  • armenuaarmenua Member Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    It is odd to me that a top level dungeon is created that doesn't demand teamwork of all the classes. While I am really curious as to why the dungeon was created that way, isn't the fix sort of easy (speaking without experience, as I have never done CN) Seems to me what needs to be done is CN mobs should not be able to be pushed off ledges.
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think PvP we are perfectly fine, obviously...lol

I think PvE we could be buffed a bit (not exactly sure how though w/o making PvP too easy for us) to bring more to the table for the party as a whole.

However, I believe we are better then we were and are pretty close to be A-OK. The general opinion is GWFs 'suck' in PvE, and basically that is ill-defined. If you want to do a Dungeon as fast as humanly possible, then no, you should not take a GWF (in most cases). However, if you want to enjoy a dungeon for what it is and challenge yourself (while still being playable and competitive) then group up with friends/Guild members and do a Dungeon. Playing the class well/correctly will go a long way to showing people who thinks it 'sucks' to seeing that that isn't the case. IMO.
    va8Ru.gif
  • copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    For PvP - Don't touch GWFs. They are exactly where they are supposed to be, raging maniacs rushing in, taking big risks.

For PvE - I have been putting more time into my 60 and I have to admit that their usefulness is actually very underrated. Our survivability in front of a pack of mobs is literally insane. We usually the one that can revive people in ANY situation. Pop Unstoppable and run in the double/tripple AoE to revive. Roar's interrupt is awesome on AoE mobs. Our SotS debuff is crazy, and any GWF without points in it, needs to respec. Our Single target while not close to what a TR is, it is still quite decent.

Still there is definitely a need to tweak things PvE wise. First of all definitely buff Sentinel's threat. On my GWF, I grab better aggro through pure dps with a destroyer build. The damage mitigation of the Sentinel is actually a little overkill. I would rather loose some of that to gain more threat.
    Also, some of the other issues really have nothing to do with the class. There needs to be some changes to the mechanics of certain boss fights. The majority of the GWF issues can be fixed if the content is changed a little, instead of just giving us another extra damage boost.
    I would also love to see GWFs get more utilities using their shout mechanics.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    We usually the one that can revive people in ANY situation.
    Quoted for truth.
    va8Ru.gif
  • stolly76stolly76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 70
    edited July 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    For PvP - Don't touch GWFs. They are exactly where they are supposed to be, raging maniacs rushing in, taking big risks.

For PvE - I have been putting more time into my 60 and I have to admit that their usefulness is actually very underrated. Our survivability in front of a pack of mobs is literally insane. We usually the one that can revive people in ANY situation. Pop Unstoppable and run in the double/tripple AoE to revive. Roar's interrupt is awesome on AoE mobs. Our SotS debuff is crazy, and any GWF without points in it, needs to respec. Our Single target while not close to what a TR is, it is still quite decent.

Still there is definitely a need to tweak things PvE wise. First of all definitely buff Sentinel's threat. On my GWF, I grab better aggro through pure dps with a destroyer build. The damage mitigation of the Sentinel is actually a little overkill. I would rather loose some of that to gain more threat.
    Also, some of the other issues really have nothing to do with the class. There needs to be some changes to the mechanics of certain boss fights. The majority of the GWF issues can be fixed if the content is changed a little, instead of just giving us another extra damage boost.
    I would also love to see GWFs get more utilities using their shout mechanics.

Second that truth with everything Copticone said. Glad good replies like this are mentioned. Please take note Cryptic :)
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The problem is not with the class, it's with the rest of the game.