test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The clock is ticking

124»

Comments

• elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    stadulator wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree more. that thinking right there is what's killing this genre. "play a little longer than a single player game" Really?

Yea, really. In my opinion you played not because of 'content' but because you were addicted. I've been there myself, which is why I can recognize it now. The 'content' of a MMO is largely reliant on the community you surround yourself with. This enables me to take my 'content' with me from game to game now that I know what it really is about the genre that keeps me playing.

I will allow it's a bit different in Neverwinter with the ability to make your own adventures. That can change things a bit, but we'll see how attractive it really is - again I feel this is largely reliant on what tools the devs give the players. I have enjoyed most of the Foundry missions I've done thus far.
  • stadulatorstadulator Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited May 2013
    elyrielle wrote: »
    Yea, really. In my opinion you played not because of 'content' but because you were addicted. I've been there myself, which is why I can recognize it now. The 'content' of a MMO is largely reliant on the community you surround yourself with. This enables me to take my 'content' with me from game to game now that I know what it really is about the genre that keeps me playing..

Addiction: The state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

Sounds like you're projecting your experiences on to other people.

If you had read my post, you'd see that I played these games for years. If I were indeed addicted, I would not have limited my play times, I would not have been able to run my business successfully or raise my daughter (who used to sit on my lap and kill spiders when she was 2 years old btw.) I too know these people (yourself as you admit) who were addicted. They lost their jobs, failed out of school, lost their marriages (there's a reason EQ was called the widow maker.)

The real fact is that I kept going back because of the, you guessed it, content. If it took us 3 nights to fight out of the BR in Guk then that's what it took. Progressing via team work and skill is not a mental health issue, as you're implying. If it took us 6-8 hours on a weekend to clear a raid zone or half of one, we did it. How many hours a day do some people sit in front of the TV watching football?

So, while understanding your reality, and having worked with addicts in the past as a social worker I can understand the need to project your personality and issues on to other people. It's an age old tactic for some folks to help them feel better about themselves.
  • elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    stadulator wrote: »
    Addiction: The state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

Sounds like you're projecting your experiences on to other people.

If you had read my post, you'd see that I played these games for years. If I were indeed addicted, I would not have limited my play times, I would not have been able to run my business successfully or raise my daughter (who used to sit on my lap and kill spiders when she was 2 years old btw.) I too know these people (yourself as you admit) who were addicted. They lost their jobs, failed out of school, lost their marriages (there's a reason EQ was called the widow maker.)

The real fact is that I kept going back because of the, you guessed it, content. If it took us 3 nights to fight out of the BR in Guk then that's what it took. Progressing via team work and skill is not a mental health issue, as you're implying. If it took us 6-8 hours on a weekend to clear a raid zone or half of one, we did it. How many hours a day do some people sit in front of the TV watching football?

So, while understanding your reality, and having worked with addicts in the past as a social worker I can understand the need to project your personality and issues on to other people. It's an age old tactic for some folks to help them feel better about themselves.

Hey if you're that easily entertained for years on end with the same game mechanics and graphics, who am I to say it's wrong?

All I can say is, that's not normal and most people move on. I don't expect a year out of an MMO anymore, the 'content' isn't crafted that well. Only the people I meet keep me playing, and they have similar attention spans to me (cue incoming ADD crack because I can't stay a year+ in one game).
  • aislingiaislingi Member Posts: 140 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Huh, I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up, even if this is a trolling thread!

I'll probably play it. I'll still play this too. and Marvel Heroes. Can't see why I need to choose one.
    I wanna go back to being weird. I like being weird. Weird's all I got, oh, and my sweet style. -Maurice Moss, The IT Crowd
  • sydanyosydanyo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Rift isn't set on Toril. Neverwinter is.

Not a choice, at all.
  • morbidthought666morbidthought666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    Rift is a top notch game, I do kind of miss playing it...
  • demampdemamp Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mutharex wrote: »
    I played Rift for a few months at launch but at the end I left because I found it uninspired, bland. If they are going Freemium few months after the expansion went live, it means they aren't doing so well. I doubt the F2P move will help much but hey it's another avenue for froobs

Most mmos that have gone free to play have seen a huge uptick in player base. F2P is seen as a good money move these days not just an act of desperation. Which is why many mmos launch F2P.
  • stadulatorstadulator Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited May 2013
    elyrielle wrote: »
    Hey if you're that easily entertained for years on end with the same game mechanics and graphics, who am I to say it's wrong?

All I can say is, that's not normal and most people move on. I don't expect a year out of an MMO anymore, the 'content' isn't crafted that well. Only the people I meet keep me playing, and they have similar attention spans to me (cue incoming ADD crack because I can't stay a year+ in one game).

Again, THIS is why I was there so long. https://www.facebook.com/groups/268936136586509/271448539668602/?notif_t=group_comment

when you find a quality MMO, and then are able to find a group of people you enjoy playing the game with, you'll have the same experience. No addiction required

And again, you're just failing to recognize the importance of content. EQ1 and EQ2 were not like this game. You didn't play the same content over and over with the same mechanics and the same graphics. You get at LEAST one expansion a year with new content. EQ1 underwent a massive graphics upgrade with Shadows of Luclin.

EQ2 was originally designed to run on MUCH better hardware than was available at release. Over the years they were able to make more of the graphics options available as hardware got better, so you always had a bump in quality.

Do you honestly think PWE and Cryptic have that kind of long term roadmap for this game? Perhaps, but given the unfinished quality of the game and the off the shelf game engine they're using, I find it hard to believe.

At this point, I've presented it all. You can keep throwing generalization and supposition, but you're not coming off having a lot of experience in MMO's beyond simplistic, low quality MMOs like the ones offered from Nexon and PWE