test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reason why exploits exist

Comments

• whiranwhiran Member Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    read it for yourself. not doing your job to stay informed for u troll
    I have read this entire thread. I asked a question since I was interested and curious.

You seem incapable of forming a coherent answer for that question other than resorting to name calling which is unfortunate because I would love an answer. This makes me wonder who is trolling.
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Other MMOs put patches out maybe weekly or even every couple weeks. Here it has been almost everyday or every couple days.
  • unirodunirod Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 159 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    whiran wrote: »
    What is economy breaking though?

When making that claim you need to explain why you think there is an economy breaking exploit in existence.

don't troll pls
    edited May 2013
    unirod wrote: »
    don't troll pls
    It is a serious question.

Please explain how it (this exploit) "is economy breaking"?

You might believe this to be self-evident but I do not. I would like to understand the underlying thought process that is being used to determine how the game economy is being broken by this.
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    Other MMOs put patches out maybe weekly or even every couple weeks. Here it has been almost everyday or every couple days.

To be fair, other MMOs tends to be unplayable the first week after launch, and possibly several weeks after too. And I mean unplayable, not just merely broken.
  • jazzneojazzneo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    i have best Idea shutdown the auction house for a week
    edited May 2013
    jazzneo wrote: »
    i have best Idea shutdown the auction house for a week

You'd have to make all items bind on pick-up as well then.
  • watchyourbackwatchyourback Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is a serious question.

Please explain how it (this exploit) "is economy breaking"?

You might believe this to be self-evident but I do not. I would like to understand the underlying thought process that is being used to determine how the game economy is being broken by this.

if you seriously dont know there is a SS of a gf with crit bug with 58 million ad and bags fullof epics all gotten in 2 days. the more items there are of any type means value will drop dramatically thus the threat to the eco. if you didnt know this already sry to troll you but i thought you were trolling
    edited May 2013
    if you seriously dont know there is a SS of a gf with crit bug with 58 million ad and bags fullof epics all gotten in 2 days. the more items there are of any type means value will drop dramatically thus the threat to the eco. if you didnt know this already sry to troll you but i thought you were trolling

That would indicate that the economy is working: more supply of something drops the price of that something.

That is not a broken economy.

So, please, explain how the economy is broken?

Or do you have a belief on how the economy should be based on some internal valuation regardless of changes within the game environment? As in, do you think a Tier 2 epic item should be 100,000 Astral Diamonds? Perhaps 1,000,000 Astrald Diamonds? Maybe 50,000 Astral Diamonds? How are you determining that "correct" valuation?

If we revisit the game in two months and discover that these items are being sold at 10,000 Astral Diamonds each, is the economy broken at that point?
  • unirodunirod Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 159 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    That would indicate that the economy is working: more supply of something drops the price of that something.

Or do you have a belief on how the economy should be based on some internal valuation regardless of changes within the game environment? As in, do you think a Tier 2 epic item should be 100,000 Astral Diamonds? Perhaps 1,000,000 Astrald Diamonds? Maybe 50,000 Astral Diamonds? How are you determining that "correct" valuation?

If we revisit the game in two months and discover that these items are being sold at 10,000 Astral Diamonds each, is the economy broken at that point?

it's getting ridiculous now dude. Please stop trolling, we all know you can't be serious.
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    What do you do when two out of your five classes are one shot killing the biggest, baddest dude in the game all by their lonesome self and reselling all that loot they get out of their half-hour or less runs through the biggest, baddest dungeon in the game? Not to mention the Astral Diamonds they're grifting from your 200$ and 60$ customers, which represent actual real-world dollars?

What do you do when people have $10,000 real dollars worth of your currency just from exploiting your game? Ban them? Laughable. Mule characters and AH transactions mean that it's easy enough to 'launder' that money through the AH and move it to various alts to safely keep until they off-load it at a real world profit. If PWE really puts their thinking caps on they might be able to ferret these people out but I doubt they have the time to find them all.

I hope all the people that spent $200 dollars stay clear of the market for a few days, even though they obviously aren't, because they are getting super fleeced out of cash at the moment. At least they get to keep their spider?

It almost appears like PWE left the exploits in the game on purpose to ensure that their pre-order customers don't keep the advantage over P2P players for long. As a matter of fact, the P2P players got the best deal around if they exploited and hid their tracks. I'd be super pissed if I paid a pre-order cost, and I think there are a lot of people that will quote Neverwinter as the MMO that taught them to stay away from cash shop MMO's.

Worst 'open beta' launch ever. Aren't you all glad there won't be character wipes even though they royally screwed the pooch? I think they'll eat crow eventually given that their economy is borked and there's a foolproof method to bypass their cash shop entirely at the moment. Oh well! I'm a Tera founder, so this crash-and-burn is just entertainment on it's own merits at this point.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • watchyourbackwatchyourback Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

lol they are being sold for that right now....in 2 months it may be more like 500AD. at lvl 20 i can get a full set of T3 gear with AD alone never steppint foot into any challenging dungeon... if you dont see that as broken then i cant help you to understand sry
  • zellistazellista Member Posts: 100 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    5) Path of Exile didn't use a wipe when they exited closed beta. They instead used legacy servers.

What rubbish are you sprouting? POE wiped after CB ended.
  • pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    noosed wrote: »
    burn them all.
    Well... I did ask!;)
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • flayedawgflayedawg Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited May 2013

IMO, arguing about whether or not the economy is "broken" is a red herring. Exploits need to be squashed quickly, because otherwise players get to thinking that the company just doesn't care, & when players think a company doesn't care, they stop spending money on that company & stop playing. PW can either do what it needs to do to put a stop to the cheaters -- as well as banning the cheaters, even permanently if necessary & possible -- so that legit players can feel like PW actually cares about its product.

I'd be saying this even if all that Castle Never gear were bind-on-pickup & worthless for sale to vendors, because, cheating is bad.
    Fare you well
    Let your life proceed by its own designs
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine ...
    edited May 2013
    flayedawg wrote: »
    IMO, arguing about whether or not the economy is "broken" is a red herring. Exploits need to be squashed quickly, because otherwise players get to thinking that the company just doesn't care, & when players think a company doesn't care, they stop spending money on that company & stop playing. PW can either do what it needs to do to put a stop to the cheaters -- as well as banning the cheaters, even permanently if necessary & possible -- so that legit players can feel like PW actually cares about its product.

I agree completely with this.

I am just pointing out the economy is responding and reacting to the situation as one would expect a functioning economy to. The economy is not 'broken' as such although the expectations of certain players are such that they -feel- it is not right. That's not the same as being broken.

In any case, the situation of a game mechanic being broken then that needs to be addressed and fixed quickly. Very quickly.
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013

The point is that the supply (in the sense of ease of getting said items) shouldn't exist. But because it does, it breaks the theoretical balance. It is however true, that that's just theory, and not anything that's fixed. Even so... The whole problem starts, and ends with supply. It's not really the economy that is the problem, it's just a side effect.
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    The point is that the supply (in the sense of ease of getting said items) shouldn't exist. But because it does, it breaks the theoretical balance. It is however true, that that's just theory, and not anything that's fixed. Even so... The whole problem starts, and ends with supply. It's not really the economy that is the problem, it's just a side effect.
    You got it!

And the broken mechanic needs to be addressed as soon as possible. The faster the better.
  • clannamuirclannamuir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    jazzneo wrote: »
    i wish they remove pvp system. and keep as a regular D&D game only work togther in pve

I agree with this.
    edited May 2013
    How is cheating bad in this context when it's not only saving you real world money but also saving you months of grinding? You can enjoy the game later when you're super rich and riding around diamond encrusted $5,000 dollar real-money mounts that you didn't actually pay for.

Oh no, PWE goes out of business and take their shady business practices with them? Sounds like an internet victory to me...

Oh no, I got banned on an untraceable alternate account that has zero contact with my main account! I'm out time but up money! NOOOES!

Not like my NWN1 game servers aren't still around. Or that there's still NWN2. Or, for that matter, the jillion other games that don't show some cleavage just to get into your wallet before you realize they're a tranny in disguise...

I liked Cryptic before, they made OK games with zero end-game content. Now they make ok games with zero end game content and pick your pocket the entire time. No thanks. Neverwinter borrowed good things from other games and did them half-assed at best but charge you 4 times the amount simply for the setting and name recognition.

Sadly lots of people will play Neverwinter and think it has unique combat without realizing it's a poorly repackaged system from other, better games. It's not just the implementation though if you don't believe me. It's the underlying strata of the system that doesn't work well. Technically this isn't a 'tabbed targeting' game, it's a 'CTRL targeting' game. They moved the button and removed the cycle command. Yep. That's innovation. (Not to mention that CTRL can't be rebound without 3rd party software, or that using CTRL as targeting in the middle of a massive wave of add's is realistically impossible. Or that the number of control inputs you're required to juggle exceed the maximum number of simultaneous commands available on a standard keyboard. Oops!)
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
    edited May 2013
    I am just pointing out the economy is responding and reacting to the situation as one would expect a functioning economy to.

Yes, true, but .... just as with a real world economy, the fact that prices are responding to supply & demand is not necessarily a good thing. Witness, for example, the collapse of the 17th century Dutch tulip bubble as just one example of an economy that corrected itself & in so doing pauperized a lot of people. IOW, just because an economy is functioning properly doesn't mean it's functioning "well," which is a whole different ball of wax.

IMO, PW screwed the pooch royally by first implementing Astral Diamonds at all, then making them the only currency usable on the AH, while allowing you to convert ADs to Zen & Zen back to ADs. If I'd been developing this game, Astral Diamonds never would have been implemented in the first place, & Zen would only ever be usable in the Zen Store. But that's an entirely different issue.
    Fare you well
    Nothing to tell
    edited May 2013
    spacejew wrote: »
    Sadly lots of people will play Neverwinter and think it has unique combat

I'm sure that's true of some people. Right now, I'm playing NWO because leveling through the storyline questing is fun. If that wasn't true, I'd have quit the first day.

I otherwise agree with you entirely, except that I can't bring myself to farm ADs the way everyone says I should, because I'm increasingly coming to loath the entire concept of ADs.
    Fare you well
    Nothing to tell
    edited May 2013
    IOW, just because an economy is functioning properly doesn't mean it's functioning "well," which is a whole different ball of wax.

I agree with this. But, a functioning economy is still functioning and, as such, is not broken.

Just because something doesn't match up to player's expectations doesn't mean that it is broken.

If there is a game mechanic that is broken then it needs to be fixed immediately. If there is a situation that is not working as intended by the designers then that needs to be fixed immediately. But, to invoke the incantation of hyperbole and exaggeration can be detrimental to understanding what is happening and what needs to be fixed.

The economy does not need to be 'fixed' because it is not 'broken' instead, the situation that is resulting in an unintended supply of whatever (in this case epic items) needs to be addressed. Once that is addressed then the rest will work itself out.
    edited May 2013
    I'm sure that's true of some people. Right now, I'm playing NWO because leveling through the storyline questing is fun. If that wasn't true, I'd have quit the first day.

I otherwise agree with you entirely, except that I can't bring myself to farm ADs the way everyone says I should, because I'm increasingly coming to loath the entire concept of ADs.

Fair enough. I figure I'll get to level 60 and drop this game like a hot potato. ESO is coming out, and it's not a F2P travesty from the get-go.

Just had a thought though...wondering if they do a character wipe if AD converted zen goes away too? Be a nice kick in the sack to anyone that legitimately farmed enough AD through the market to buy zen items. If they keep the zen though, doesn't that defeat the purpose of a wipe?

Something tells me the radio silence is the developers chewing their nails and trying to decide between a rock and a hard place. This is what happens when you charge for an open beta. The most logical thing to do is ignore the exploiters, patch fast, and lock down the forum with a few days worth of 'unexpected maintenance' to stem the tide of people finding out about what exactly the exploits are. People will still find out, don't get me wrong, but since they've already resorted to threatening the community to not talk about the cash shop negatively I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem with this 'solution'.

A 'quintuple AD weekend' would go a long way to devalue the hell out of any AD the exploiters managed to get their hands on, but of course that would tank their currency as-is and lower their own profits through the zen exchange. Not holding my breath for any of this.

Maybe linking their actual profits to a currency you can earn in-game was a really bad idea. Hmm. Yeah. A really bad idea indeed.
    edited May 2013
    The economy does not need to be 'fixed' because it is not 'broken' instead, the situation that is resulting in an unintended supply of whatever

Here's the thing: the problem is over-supply, which causes prices to fall in response. While that's not a "broken" economy per se, it's evidence that the market is being artificially distorted by the methods used to increase the supply. IOW, fixing the methods that are being used to cause the over-supply will also fix the economy. The two are inextricably linked, so the fact that the economy is reacting as it should is largely irrelevant.

It's an interesting point though, because it demonstrates the irrefutable truth of "supply & demand" in a way that even people with no knowledge of economics at all can see, which makes it a nice "teachable moment" for gamers who might otherwise not pay attention to such weighty issues.
    Fare you well
    Nothing to tell
  • b0r7b0r7 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What cryptic is currently doing is WORST kind of development cycle. They deploy fixes/patch/improvements, test internally, then release it. With that sort of style you are 100% sure to run into exploits like
    Ok, to many pages to read but want to counter debate OP's lack of reasoning why he is butthurt over a non-issue

The entire open beta, which isn't gold yet, is because...TO TEST THE GAME! Exploits exist because its an open clause like a legal document, you know that kind of thing you cannot do but you can do this and its ok...until its re-written and patched (it was ok to level to 60 ASAP for a few days, cause Cryptic was figuring out what the problem was and then it wasn't ok when it was fixed, since it was impossible...but the public at large likes to have a kneejerk reaction to the butt hole and demand vindication cause their ego is hurt over something that isn't affecting them...who cares if someone is already max level cap). Oh yeah, and you know what is better then a private server...if 5 out of 1000 people are on a test server you find nothing...if 5000 people are on a live server and 1000 are doing something that is exploiting the open clause and finding it...SO THE COMPANY CAN CORRECT IT! Yes, its called shot in the dark with shotgun and wearing night vision goggles...aka increasing the odds so you can hit the target and find the problems in the code. More people, more chances to win the lottery of bad coding, more chances to quickly find it instead of going live and then having hours of server downtime.

Recap: Its being done a certain way, to find the problems. The customer base is the problem, the whiney little childish people demanding corporal punishment who cannot just grow up and be patient that the problem is being fixed.
  • paragon33paragon33 Member Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Flagging all gear BoP from BoE would have held back this disaster for a bit while they fixed things...
    Since they seem to be to lazy to do even one lil thing...
    -They can turn a set bonus off
    -They can disable a Boss or Dungeon entirely
    -whats happening is akin to mass duping... Because thats how easy it is.
    Any sensible company would have already rolled back or closed for emergency maintenance.
    Dont give me that they "can't" roll back <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>... They could refund everyone's Zen; which would go right back into the market after reset. And no.. I don't want to start over; but thats how bad it is now. If you don't know how bad it is its because you dont know all of whats happening right now. It went from red flags over the past week to suddenly defcom 3 over night. The best gear in the game is about to start selling cheaper then the pvp and T1; of which are both practically vendor trash now.
    Im glad you can now afford something you might have not thought you could get on your own... But after that whats left? You find yourself in T2 possibly before your even 60 soon lol. What you guna do? Pvp against Afk groups and sit in the pub RPing all day? Focus purely on the Foundry until your begin hating it? Oh wait they capped the xp and drops are tied to the bubble cap; because of exploiters..
    If you don't understand the real problem here then your hopeless; this is not about the borked economy anymore... Its about the immediate risk to the longevity of the game. The devaluation of the game, content, and gear. Free 60s is one thing; but progression ,content, even crafting have all just been made trivial for a huge chunk of player base... Unless they have a secret stash of content they have held back; your looking at a mass exodus by the end of the month maybe 2... This game had/has huuuuge potential its hard to watch :/

So if you are one of those its only beta types.... ok right... So the game that had limitless potential will die before its even released; because of ignored exploits that are akin to just giving you free end game gear and 100k Ad with boosted crafting right from Character creation... What magic do you think will be fixed? This exploiting has lead to not only using the equivalent of GM powers to reach the end of the content but flooded the standard player base with that very gear. You can even skip pvp and t1 if you want now. (BoP wasn't created for no reason...)

The funny thing is people are like oh its so much harder to fix then it looks... Lol no its not. A. Pretty standard stuff being exploited.
    AKA first on the list for most Dev teams. B. Lets not forget Crypt is not new to mmo's. C. Very Very easy temp solutions could have been put in place at any point to stop the saturation from the exploiting... As mentioned before. A boss or even dungeon, and set bonuses can be turned off. (If they refuse to take servers down till fixed or roll back.)
    The latter 2 are the most important things... But more important is "acting FAST" to avoid having to do either. Lastly the real importance is that this is exactly what you don't want happening in your game during a release. Its a kin to cannibalizing your own success... And this game is really **** decent.

Lastly, dont make me laugh; engines now a days come with their own built in tool kits... Most the BS is done FOR YOU lol... You're already doing a huge chunk of what they are doing when your using the foundry... *sigh.
    ONE PERSON could fix every single issue happening right now single handily...

I got a bad feeling some guy in a suit is saying no to the Devs because the cash flow is so high that they are wiping their asses with the cash... Because the Devs just cant be this incompetent...
  • valvexenvalvexen Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    If they did get a proper pts i am sure you would have to pay them to get on it.
    edited May 2013
    spacejew wrote: »
    Just had a thought though...wondering if they do a character wipe if AD converted zen goes away too? Be a nice kick in the sack to anyone that legitimately farmed enough AD through the market to buy zen items. If they keep the zen though, doesn't that defeat the purpose of a wipe?

That's an excellent question, & one more reason why I think that a full-blown character wipe would be disastrous for PW.
    Something tells me the radio silence is the developers chewing their nails and trying to decide between a rock and a hard place.

Yep. Precisely, the entire paragraph.
    Fare you well
    Nothing to tell
    edited May 2013
    paragon33 wrote: »
    I got a bad feeling some guy in a suit is saying no to the Devs because they cash flow is so high that they are wiping their asses with the cash... Because the Devs just cant be this incompetent...
    Never underestimate the preponderance of incompetence. :)