What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do we actualy play D&D ?

1235»

Comments

• thestoryteller01thestoryteller01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Thing is when I want to play D&D I get some buddies around and have a tabletop session when I want to play a rather fun fantasy mmo I play Neverwinter.

Well, I do play D&D with my buddies every Saturday, but does that mean I have no right to expect a D&D experience from a D&D MMO?

For you its either D&D OR a generic MMO? How tame is that?

Well if it suits you.....ok ...but don't expect to become famous on facebook with that slogan :D
    In case you find my grammar or spelling weird ---> native german speaker ;)
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, I do play D&D with my buddies every Saturday, but does that mean I have no right to expect a D&D experience from a D&D MMO?

For you its either D&D OR a generic MMO? How tame is that?

Well if it suits you.....ok ...but don't expect to become famous on facebook with that slogan :D

Its not a slogan. I don't do Facebook, Twitter or anything else like that I find social media sites like that somewhat tedious. Neverwinter isnt generic though the fast paced combat raises it above most other fantasy MMO's out there. I dont get what Facebook has to do with D&D that was a rather strange comment.
    edited June 2013
    Its not a slogan. I don't do Facebook, Twitter or anything else like that I find social media sites like that somewhat tedious. Neverwinter isnt generic though the fast paced combat raises it above most other fantasy MMO's out there. I dont get what Facebook has to do with D&D that was a rather strange comment.

You called Neverwinter "a rather fun fantasy MMO" If that is not a generic description, what is?

And still my question remains unanswered: When I do play D&D with my buddies every Saturday, does that mean I have no right to expect a D&D experience from a D&D MMO?

Tell me please ;)

PS: There is actually a Neverwinter Facebook game called "Heroes of Neverwinter". So if you REALLY don't get what Facebook has to do with it, I probably shouldn't expect any useful answers from you anyway...
    edited June 2013
    You called Neverwinter "a rather fun fantasy MMO" If that is not a generic description, what is?

And still my question remains unanswered: When I do play D&D with my buddies every Saturday, does that mean I have no right to expect a D&D experience from a D&D MMO?

Tell me please ;)

PS: There is actually a Neverwinter Facebook game called "Heroes of Neverwinter". So if you REALLY don't get what Facebook has to do with it, I probably shouldn't expect any useful answers from you anyway...

Good Sir I made a statement not aimed at anyone that when I want D&D I play the true game with my friends and you start an argument. I am afraid you wont get an argument from me.
    I am saying that for a true D&D experience people should try the real table top game, I think that is a statement most D&D players would back. Even people reading this that haven't tried it yet should. Its not as complicated as some would think ^__^
    Neverwinter is just a computer game and I don't think you can express the essence of D&D in such a format. Sort of like how the LOTR movies where a diluted version of the books.
    edited June 2013
    Good Sir I made a statement not aimed at anyone that when I want D&D I play the true game with my friends and you start an argument. I am afraid you wont get an argument from me.
    I am saying that for a true D&D experience people should try the real table top game, I think that is a statement most D&D players would back. Even people reading this that haven't tried it yet should. Its not as complicated as some would think ^__^
    Neverwinter is just a computer game and I don't think you can express the essence of D&D in such a format. Sort of like how the LOTR movies where a diluted version of the books.

Interestingly enough - now you mentioned LotR- the MMO based on Tolkiens works, LOTRO, does a darn good job of catching the spirit of the books within the restrictions of an MMO. Critics as well as players overally give the game credit to that, I played it from beta over to a year of subscription myself and can only agree.

And LotR is probably a little harder to transfer to an MMO than D&D, don't you think?
  • zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Alignment would require a lot more quests and/or factions, which is a big burden.

There's nothing stopping people from making Foundry missions tailored to different alignments... heck, 'Tired of Being A Hero,' for example.

Sub-races and multi-class are not universal cross D&D editions, although Feywild is bringing several different flavors of elf, so... hey.

As for deity... that's one thing I wish they had done. Just have... SOMETHING you could pick up/enhance/whatever that could express your affiliation. It's particularly annoying that my cleric of Moradin is pretty much identical to clerics of Selune, Oghma, and so on.

I also kind of wished we got two skills -- one class skill, one of our choosing, so that we had some sort of implicit background possible. (Like the difference between a GWF with an extra 'Thievery' skill vs. 'Religion.')
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
    edited June 2013
    Interestingly enough - now you mentioned LotR- the MMO based on Tolkiens works, LOTRO, does a darn good job of catching the spirit of the books within the restrictions of an MMO. Critics as well as players overally give the game credit to that, I played it from beta over to a year of subscription myself and can only agree.

And LotR is probably a little harder to transfer to an MMO than D&D, don't you think?

Oh no no no I love the Tolken books but LoTRO just butchers them. Really they tried to make it more like the movies than the books. I probably feel the same why about LoTRO that you do about Neverwinter.

Both DDO and NW fail to get the true feel of D&D across but they are both good games. But I am pretty sure one day someone will get it perfect ^__^
    edited June 2013
    Both DDO and NW fail to get the true feel of D&D across but they are both good games. But I am pretty sure one day someone will get it perfect ^__^

It might not be for the same reasons, but I can agree on that. If you like, we can take your quote as the closing words of our short discussion ^^