test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do we actualy play D&D ?

zarkheszarkhes Member Posts: 59
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I know that there are some things more urgent, like glitches, bugs, AD flowing in a system, but these things can get fixed in a time.So let me ask you something else...

Does this game has anything to do with Dungeons and Dragons at all?

Deity
Game let us pick up a Deity.Why?its just a cosmetic feature.Nothing more than a logo in our character information.Why game let us pray, but dont alow us to collect some favor so we could channel some divinity prayer?Why not give us bonus to our stats or abilities acording to the type of deity we worship?Why not let us battle against enemy folowers?

Alignment
Seriously?A fundamental element of any Role-play game?Why not let us have ACTUAL conversation in quest (Well, i gues we have the ,,do it yourself'' foundry) so we can pick up answers acording to our beliefes?Let us be Chaotic evil Madmens, Lawful Good righteous or just Unaligned mercenaries.Why other games like SWTOR have this, and Neverwinter not?

Sub-races, Multi-class,
There are so many things that missing.So many things that could make this game diferent from another generic MMORPG.My opinion is, that insted of D&D, we have another generation of generic MMO, with people PWNing each other, yet has no clue what is spellplague or what is even Neverwinter.We have so many 60th levels, with epic gear...yet i have to see a one who wrote something in his biography.And a pink half-orcs who look like Pig Cop from Duke Nukem.
Post edited by zarkhes on

Comments

• Options
    wrenaqwrenaq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This game is based on the new edition of D&D and they have done away with most of the things you have mentioned.
    Iam a member of a RP group that plays D&D once a month (with beer) and my DM bought all the books and after one session we went back to good old 2nd edition.
    I mean you can't even play an evil dude anymore....I think they have made the 5th edition to please MMORPGers who play wow etc..
  • Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Deity/alignment really doesn't work in a MMO since questing is pretty linear.

I don't think you know much about 4'th edition, multi-classing can still be done but it's rather pointless basically your second class replaces your paragon path. As for races and other classes I'm sure the will be added.... for zen.

I'm not a big fan of 4'th ed myself btw.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • Options
    redlanceredlance Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    zarkhes wrote: »

No. Neverwinter Online is just a classic theme park with gear grind and instance farm, no multiclassing, nothing of the great character customization found in D&D, only some names and environments taken from the Forgotten Realms campaign setting.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You got party of 5 people.Tell them they cant converse, they cant act, the dont have any alignment.
    Tell them they are just here for a 5 weeks of full combat oriented campaign and gear grinding.

Lets see if one guy stays with you untill the end...
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You got party of 5 people.Tell them they cant converse, they cant act, the dont have any alignment.
    Tell them they are just here for a 5 weeks of full combat oriented campaign and gear grinding.

Lets see if one guy stays with you untill the end...

The min-maxers might.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    The min-maxers might.:rolleyes:

And thats the point im trying to say.At this time, there are realy no roleplayers.Only kids which biggest achievment in game is killscore of 10/0.And the game will shift towards THAT player base.Is it wrong?Thats not up to me to decide.So why im crying here?Cause i want this game up and runnig, but in a diferent ways...
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wrenaq wrote: »
    This game is based on the new edition of D&D and they have done away with most of the things you have mentioned.
    Iam a member of a RP group that plays D&D once a month (with beer) and my DM bought all the books and after one session we went back to good old 2nd edition.
    I mean you can't even play an evil dude anymore....I think they have made the 5th edition to please MMORPGers who play wow etc..

I play WoW sometimes and I like the 2nd edition D&D so its not that :P
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sub-races, Multi-class,

Meh. Played D&D from light-blue-book Basic to AD&D2 on the tabletop. And digital D&D from "gold box" SSI thru Baldur's Gate, PS2 Baldur's Gate (completely different game), NWN, DDO, and now this.

Don't recall sub-race & multi-class as being some kind of core feature of the game, honestly. /shrug

(only game that really seems to have a lot of multiclassing going on is DDO, and holy cow is that a min-maxer's delight. Really couldn't stand that part of the game - unless you follow The Plan to make your perfect min/max powergaming character, you're useless after lv10-11. Bah.)

edit: you know, I don't really remember deity being a huge component of the various digital games, either. I'm sure it had an effect in some of them, but it's been awhile. Also don't remember alignment being a large factor in some of them.
  • Options
    oryddorydd Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hope to find a role playing guild. but its hard to even conversate with annyone :(

Add me when you have or are in a roleplaying guild. This dwarf wants to raise his tankard :(
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Meh. Played D&D from light-blue-book Basic to AD&D2 on the tabletop. And digital D&D from "gold box" SSI thru Baldur's Gate, PS2 Baldur's Gate (completely different game), NWN, DDO, and now this.

Don't recall sub-race & multi-class as being some kind of core feature of the game, honestly. /shrug

(only game that really seems to have a lot of multiclassing going on is DDO, and holy cow is that a min-maxer's delight. Really couldn't stand that part of the game - unless you follow The Plan to make your perfect min/max powergaming character, you're useless after lv10-11. Bah.)

edit: you know, I don't really remember deity being a huge component of the various digital games, either. I'm sure it had an effect in some of them, but it's been awhile. Also don't remember alignment being a large factor in some of them.
    People no longer remember Ultima or Planescape Torment?
  • Options
    edited May 2013

You know, i didnt bring my friends to play Various Digital game.I supposed to play something related to D&D.
  • Options
    adjuchasbrokkadjuchasbrokk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know that there are some things more urgent, like glitches, bugs, AD flowing in a system, but these things can get fixed in a time.So let me ask you something else...

Deity
    Game let us pick up a Deity.Why?its just a cosmetic feature.Nothing more than a logo in our character information.Why game let us pray, but dont alow us to collect some favor so we could channel some divinity prayer?Why not give us bonus to our stats or abilities acording to the type of deity we worship?Why not let us battle against enemy folowers?

Alignment
    Seriously?A fundamental element of any Role-play game?Why not let us have ACTUAL conversation in quest (Well, i gues we have the ,,do it yourself'' foundry) so we can pick up answers acording to our beliefes?Let us be Chaotic evil Madmens, Lawful Good righteous or just Unaligned mercenaries.Why other games like SWTOR have this, and Neverwinter not?

Sub-races, Multi-class,
    There are so many things that missing.So many things that could make this game diferent from another generic MMORPG.My opinion is, that insted of D&D, we have another generation of generic MMO, with people PWNing each other, yet has no clue what is spellplague or what is even Neverwinter.We have so many 60th levels, with epic gear...yet i have to see a one who wrote something in his biography.And a pink half-orcs who look like Pig Cop from Duke Nukem.

This game can be played like a D&D pen and paper game, but you need people who want to role play to achieve it (exactly like in real life!). The majority here are MMO kiddies who like to grind and have the best mount, so make sure to friend anyone who has the same ideals as you or start a guild specifically for RPing. The foundry is an excellent tool for setting up adventures, so you can more or less avoid people who may wish to rain on your parade.
    [Foundry Projects]
    The Sunken Castle
    - NW-DEO4EA5XG -
    - A story driven dungeon crawl! -
  • Options
    powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The whole point of 4e is to make D&D more like it's great grand children, so that it would be a lot easier to code in an age where cRPGs & MMOs rule.

Shame that it has gone this way, but from it's current owner position I can see why it has gone the way it has!

Also does anyone fancy balancing AD&D rules for PvP? 3/3.5e rules would be easier, but still a nightmare!

I also wonder why there has never been a good game based on Chaosium's Runequest or Call of Cuthulu rules... or even Tunnels 'n' Trolls :D
  • Options
    pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dwarves
    Arctic Dwarf
    Gold Dwarf
    Shield Dwarf
    Duergar (Evil Dwarf)
    Urdunnir
    Wild Dwarves

Elves
    Sun Elf
    Moon Elf
    Wood Elf
    Wild Elf
    Drow Elf

Halflings
    Ghostwise
    Strongheart
    Lightfoot

Each has its perks and weaknesses. Rigth now we have a Generic Elf. Vanilla.
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • Options
    fiddyquidbruvfiddyquidbruv Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You're thinking of 4th edition, 5th isn't even a thing.
    Furthermore, 4th edition does indeed have multiclassing (read: http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Multiclassing ) Alignment is also a fundamental part of 4th edition, while it can be limited, it's very campaign specific. Deities very much still exist, but even in actual D&D, it does not add much more than backstory.
    Finally, try Pathfinder or 3.5 edition. You may enjoy them.
  • Options
    delekii1delekii1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    maho4200 wrote: »
    Deity/alignment really doesn't work in a MMO since questing is pretty linear.

I don't think you know much about 4'th edition, multi-classing can still be done but it's rather pointless basically your second class replaces your paragon path. As for races and other classes I'm sure the will be added.... for zen.

I'm not a big fan of 4'th ed myself btw.
    Alignment could, and SHOULD work just fine. You can make quests work almost exactly the same way with slight detours based on alignment... Good guys talk the dude into giving them the item, bad guys kill the dude. Lawful guys arrest the bad dude, Chaotic guys set the bad dude free in the middle of the desert.

Of course you can do alignment in an MMO.

For me, the lack of the alignment system is one of the key elements of D&D games I have played in the past. It was the main character defining element in every previous D&D based game that I've played, and the lack of it really hurts my experience. All of those old games were by and large extremely linear, but the slight differences in alignment-based decisions made a BIG difference in feel of the game.
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    multi-class as being some kind of core feature of the game, honestly. /shrug

Eh. Fighter/Thief, Fighter/Cleric, Cleric/Mage, etc. were bread and butter of AD&D. Humans could dual class and non-humans had multiclassing. 3E took it even further when every race could play combinations like Fighter/Wizard/Arcane Archer. Even 4E has multiclassing and hybrid classes.

Multiclassing has also been a part of pretty much every D&D game ever made.
  • Options
    thrishfishthrishfish Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You're thinking of 4th edition, 5th isn't even a thing.
    Furthermore, 4th edition does indeed have multiclassing (read: http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Multiclassing ) Alignment is also a fundamental part of 4th edition, while it can be limited, it's very campaign specific. Deities very much still exist, but even in actual D&D, it does not add much more than backstory.
    Finally, try Pathfinder or 3.5 edition. You may enjoy them.

5th edition is actually in testing right now, so technically it is a thing.
  • Options
    fiddyquidbruvfiddyquidbruv Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thrishfish wrote: »
    5th edition is actually in testing right now, so technically it is a thing.

read: https://www.wizards.com/dnd/dndnext.aspx

It's not called 5th. It's called next.
  • Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    delekii1 wrote: »
    Alignment could, and SHOULD work just fine. You can make quests work almost exactly the same way with slight detours based on alignment... Good guys talk the dude into giving them the item, bad guys kill the dude. Lawful guys arrest the bad dude, Chaotic guys set the bad dude free in the middle of the desert.

Of course you can do alignment in an MMO.

For me, the lack of the alignment system is one of the key elements of D&D games I have played in the past. It was the main character defining element in every previous D&D based game that I've played, and the lack of it really hurts my experience. All of those old games were by and large extremely linear, but the slight differences in alignment-based decisions made a BIG difference in feel of the game.
    Yes, but the game has to be based around it and in general that doesn't work well in a MMO, I mean playing a chaotic evil character would require a complete rewording of every questline so you did it for your own motives instead of helping and such.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    pzzdachu wrote: »
    Dwarves
    Arctic Dwarf
    Gold Dwarf
    Shield Dwarf
    Duergar (Evil Dwarf)
    Urdunnir
    Wild Dwarves

Elves
    Sun Elf
    Moon Elf
    Wood Elf
    Wild Elf
    Drow Elf

Halflings
    Ghostwise
    Strongheart
    Lightfoot

Each has its perks and weaknesses. Rigth now we have a Generic Elf. Vanilla.

Like I said, I've never even heard of half of those. They've never been a part of any D&D game I've played, not as character races.

(Remember, I haven't played tabletop D&D since 2nd ed. And that's without the fourty-eleven extra handbooks they put out later in the run. DM's guide, Player Handbook, MM 1 & 2, and modules. You know, D&D. ;))

...also, I said "as a core feature". You know, basic & intrinsic to the game. Not part of the flood of supplementary books that come out to later. But, like I said, I haven't seen the actual 3rd ed books - my exposture to 3.0 is NWN (did that have all the wacky races?) and my exposure to 3.5 is DDO (which is stuck in Eberron).

edit: and this is the real problem with "But is it D&D?" threads. With such a long game history, and so many options even within particular eras, what "D&D" means to each person can be wildly different. And still correct. :D
  • Options
    jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This game is based on the new edition of D&D

No, it is not. There is no playable version of DnD - including DnD Next - that plays like this game. This game is Diablo 3 with a DnD skin.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    No, it is not. There is no playable version of DnD - including DnD Next - that plays like this game. This game is Diablo 3 with a DnD skin.

"based on"

As anyone who's seen a movie based on a book would know, those words have a great deal of wiggle room to them.

(Question for various people - do you consider the console Baldur's Gate games - Dark Alliance & Dark Alliance 2, to be D&D games? What about the arcade games?)
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Well the powers (at-will, encounter and dailies) are how 4'th edition is and the actual powers in game are D&D as well, yes they don't work exactly like the handbook for a myriad of reasons - the prime one being the obvious that this is a real-time not turn based.
  • Options
    arcbladezarcbladez Member Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm playing this game cause it's a great MMORPG, not cause it's based on D&D! As a matter a fact, when my friend told me about the game, I was hesitating on joining because while I did enjoy AD&D 2nd Edition back in college, I stopped enjoying D&D PC games because they are overly complicated for nothing while all next-gen Western RPGs had a much more enjoyable gameplay!

Neverwinter doesn't have a "generic MMORPG" feel to it, it has a "casual player" feel to it! It's designed to appeal to the majority of gamers out there and not just the die-hard D&D fans who are a small minority and if they were the only ones playing this game, Cryptic would never make enough money to keep this game up and running, and that's fine with me!!! :D
  • Options
    okottekonekookottekoneko Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    do some homework buddy this game used DnD ruleset 4E and is very simplified and streamlined compared to previous versions of the game, the features you want are more 2nd ED and 3rd ED
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    An D&D MMO is going to be more streamlined than its PnP counterpart not matter the edition just look at DDO. I remember seeing the exact same thread 6 years ago :<
  • Options
    bladethornebladethorne Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    An D&D MMO is going to be more streamlined than its PnP counterpart not matter the edition just look at DDO. I remember seeing the exact same thread 6 years ago :<

In all honesty, DDO was a lot more D&D then this game. Dungeon master and dice rolls were the #1 thing in DDO. In NW, it seems completely removed. Personally i dont mind, but it does remove the D&D feel of the game.

Still, i dont care how the game looks or what it is based on; it needs to be fun. And so far, for me atleast, it is. Personally also dont object to the "P2W" stuff (which i dont consider pay2win because you can purchase everything without real money if you sell AD for Zen).

Hint though; if you wanna play D&D, go play P&P D&D; the way it's meant to be played.
  • Options
    grokit4chgrokit4ch Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This game use the DnD Lore and absolutely no elements of the DnD rules which not fit to a MMO gameplay.

If you want to play a DnD game, invite your friends, grab the books, some dices, beers and have fun.