test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

As players hit 60, more and more groups will not take a GF in Tier 2 PVE

ceonnynceonnyn Member Posts: 28 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
I keep seeing posts like this daily.
Make sure you do not bring a guardian - as they just are a blatant detriment to any group t2+ as compared to all the other classes.

2-3 clerics, and 1-2 rogue/wiz/weapon fighter is all you need.

If you have a guardian in your group and you wipe - the fault is on you for allowing them to stay.

These posts are accumulating, people are formulating their opinions, and GF is on a one-way track to become like the retadin in WoW where it was anethema for one expansion.

Being that I am only in Tier 1 (8000 gear score), I can't say as to the validity of not needing a GF, but the fact is - more and more people are talking about it daily.

Cryptic continues to ignore us and the community as far as letting us know if they even see issues with how things are, if things are being worked on, or if this is how it is going to be (live with it or quit).

I am sure there will be some GF that are exceptional and do not have an issue. However, if the majority of people feel that it is a waste of a slot to bring a GF, then it is a waste of a slot. You can't put lipstick on a pig and call it a - EXACTLY.

People will only keep asking for a tank because they are used to that, until they figure out any other class is a better option.

Being that this is an OPEN BETA, and is a SUCCESS, from the article blurb on the front page, why exactly is it a problem to post some development info (excluding surprises) on the forums? Basic game mechanics are basic game mechanics. We shouldn't have to grovel and just wait and see like uninformed peons

And last, I've more than shown my support for this game and have given quite a bit of money (even besides my founders <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>) to helping it succeed. Is it really that hard to be a bit more open about stuff?
Post edited by ceonnyn on

Comments

• Options
    seyerjeseyerje Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hi its not your fault, most people play guardian fighters, for the survivability hoping they wont die and seen as suckers. Therefore majority of GF suck and have gained a very bad rep. Its not Cryptic who says GF suck, its the playerbase and its a direct result to the people that play the class, or the approach they took to it. So blame them.
  • Options
    ceonnynceonnyn Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't know if you can say that its the players that suck when generally there is a specific mindset of person who chooses to play what they think is a tank class.

Generally I would say tank players across the board, coming from other mmos, know their stuff. They've been trained by other games to expect certain things.

Who knows, maybe this is just more like GW2 than we thought?
  • Options
    supjeremiahsupjeremiah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 569 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    People who don't want GF are bad or have only grouped with bad GF. I'm irreplaceable in T2s. I bring more AoE DPS than a GWF and comparable single target to a Rogue. I bring decent control and utility and I can take hits. I can heal (myself) better than a Cleric can heal me. By all means, complain and get us buffed but if anything we need a nerf.
    Envy - 60 Guardian Fighter - Mindflayer

Wrath - 60 Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer

Envy's Guardian Fighter DPS Conqueror Guide

Youtube Channel

http://www.twitch.tv/supjeremiah
  • Options
    elspethtirelnwelspethtirelnw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    As a GWF who has played and complained about the Sentinel paragon path since BW3, I agree. It would be nice to have some kind of developer insight as to the viability of tanking and threat in general. At least you GFs have some more reliable means of handling threat. :P
    | Banners of the Light | Recruitment is open | End Game PvE and PvP |
    | Lust | Level 60 Guardian Fighter 15.8k GS|
  • Options
    bejita231bejita231 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dont think they really care, for every 1 GF there's 500 rogues/CW's, but that's cryptic for you, only care about the majority

Rogues being OP probably is the other reason GF and GWF cant hold aggro...
  • Options
    someoneodsomeoneod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People who don't want GF are bad or have only grouped with bad GF. I'm irreplaceable in T2s. I bring more AoE DPS than a GWF and comparable single target to a Rogue. I bring decent control and utility and I can take hits. I can heal (myself) better than a Cleric can heal me. By all means, complain and get us buffed but if anything we need a nerf.

Gloating about something that is mechanically impossible just makes you look stupid. GF is theoretically highest single target dps, but it is no-where near the same in terms of AOE damage. You also cannot heal yourself better than a cleric can, unless that includes potion spamming. If GF need anything it is some sort of aoe control or taunt ability.
  • Options
    tacowizardtacowizard Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Blame Cryptic for their broken aggro system.
  • Options
    supjeremiahsupjeremiah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 569 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    someoneod wrote: »
    Gloating about something that is mechanically impossible just makes you look stupid. GF is theoretically highest single target dps, but it is no-where near the same in terms of AOE damage. You also cannot heal yourself better than a cleric can, unless that includes potion spamming. If GF need anything it is some sort of aoe control or taunt ability.

As a GF Im always 1st or 2nd in damage done. I've NEVER been beaten by a GWF. I can heal 30k HP in 2-3 seconds with no pot use. Please tell me more.

Youtube Channel

• Options
    deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I can heal 30k HP in 2-3 seconds with no pot use.

Constantly? I can just pour out the heals on my group (minus myself, thanks Righteousness!), but it's not 10k+ per second.
  • Options
    teethxteethx Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When did this open beta start?

Anyways PW, Cryptic are ignoring the community is very sad. What is the point of having a publicists if they dont do their jobs.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    deistik wrote: »
    Constantly? I can just pour out the heals on my group (minus myself, thanks Righteousness!), but it's not 10k+ per second.

Probably once every 20-30 seconds. Even less if I'm on add control. It's about AP gain, which comes pretty quickly when you're a GF.

Youtube Channel

• Options
    deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    OMG I love the GF AP gain buff!

You still need a cleric in epics then <3
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    deistik wrote: »
    OMG I love the GF AP gain buff!

You still need a cleric in epics then <3

I need the cleric to heal the rest of the group! I can go an entire boss fight without a single heal from the cleric. ^^

Youtube Channel

• Options
    trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm irreplaceable in T2s. I bring more AoE DPS than a GWF and comparable single target to a Rogue.

I'm going to answer this horse**** with a modified version of the first sentence in your own post,

You've only grouped with bad TR's and GWF if you think you put out more AoE or single target DPS. When you out damage a GWF by millions, that's plural, of points of damage then come back here. Until then I call shenanigans.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    trickshaw wrote: »
    I'm going to answer this horse**** with a modified version of the first sentence in your own post,

You've only grouped with bad TR's and GWF if you think you put out more AoE or single target DPS. When you out damage a GWF by millions, that's plural, of points of damage then come back here. Until then I call shenanigans.

Ask anyone on the server who's grouped with me.

Youtube Channel

• Options
    trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ask anyone on the server who's grouped with me.

I just did. 20 out of 20 people surveyed say you're full of ****.

And after watching some of your YouTube videos I'd say those 20 people aren't far off the mark.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    someoneod wrote: »

Who needs a healer?

Youtube Channel

• Options
    frychiknfrychikn Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lol i love watching this guy get called out for his bull****
  • Options
    yukishiro3yukishiro3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 94
    edited May 2013
    Right now clerics have to pull the weight GFs should be pulling because GFs can't tank.

There is very little reason at this point in the game to take one GF and one cleric instead of 2 clerics. If you already have 2 clerics it doesn't really matter what the other 3 classes are, although if given the choice between a rogue and a GF I dunno why anyone would take the GF at this point.
  • Options
    kdub6164kdub6164 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Really guys? Envy has one of the most influential and thorough builds this forum has. He shows a video clearly showing how his statements are believable, if not necessarily indisputable. I would say that he, out of anyone else in this thread, has demonstrated a very vast knowledge when it comes to GF. And a few of you respond with insults and denial. STFU and learn from someone better than you. Once you've reached his level then you can debate with him. Thanks for the great info, supjeremiah.

PS: Aggro could be handled a little better in game though.
  • Options
    xaazxxaazx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    kdub6164 wrote: »
    Really guys? Envy has one of the most influential and thorough builds this forum has. He shows a video clearly showing how his statements are believable, if not necessarily indisputable. I would say that he, out of anyone else in this thread, has demonstrated a very vast knowledge when it comes to GF. And a few of you respond with insults and denial. STFU and learn from someone better than you. Once you've reached his level then you can debate with him. Thanks for the great info, supjeremiah.

LOL get a room or get off his junk. GF may not be as bad as everyone claims, but they sure don't out AOE a GWF, out single target a TR, and heal better than a Cleric. I don't care who this clown thinks he is, but if even 2 out of those 3 are true in his groups, he needs better groups.
  • Options
    munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a GF Im always 1st or 2nd in damage done. I've NEVER been beaten by a GWF. I can heal 30k HP in 2-3 seconds with no pot use. Please tell me more.

This is a laughable statement. =) Pics or it didnt happen honestly. I've grouped with excellent GF that have just "barely" beat me as a cleric, 200k ish more mostly.

Sad thing is this OP is correct from what I have seen. As a cleric, 95% of the time I always have taken the most dmg, obviously outhealed every other member by millions...cuz thats what clerics do.

My most favorite group make ups have been Myself, 2 rogues, cw and a gwf. Or 2 clerics 2 rogues and a cw for easy mode, swap out rogue for gwf same differance.

I hope they make the GF a viable tank. I have not played one for myself so I have no clue as to what they can actually do, or are supposed to be able to do. But as a tank, I dont notice when one isnt there, or is...I've just gotten used to kiting **** as a cleric. If anything, not having threat is just making more bad a ss clerics, when they finally do fix it, I'm not even sure what I'll do if I'm not running around like an ******* with 50 things chasing me =) Healing in this game is easy when you can stand still, doing AND kiting everything in the zone is the kicker =)

GL GF's! Hope they fix you guys
  • Options
    munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I watched your 18 second video on youtube. Impressive. But I would rather see a video of you tanking a T2 boss, as well as adds without a cleric healing you, and see what happens when you burn your daily on mobs you cant one-shot, and see your "30k" heals. I'm all for it bud, but again...pics or vids or it didnt happen =)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    munkey81 wrote: »
    I watched your 18 second video on youtube. Impressive. But I would rather see a video of you tanking a T2 boss, as well as adds without a cleric healing you, and see what happens when you burn your daily on mobs you cant one-shot, and see your "30k" heals. I'm all for it bud, but again...pics or vids or it didnt happen =)

I heal even more on boss + adds because the more targets I hit the higher the heal. I don't tank adds. I'll gladly put up a clip later when I run dungeons.

Youtube Channel

• Options
    madqhuemadqhue Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I heal even more on boss + adds because the more targets I hit the higher the heal. I don't tank adds. I'll gladly put up a clip later when I run dungeons.

The whole game is tanking adds. That is the entire game with the current content. Does no good to have you tanking the boss if the adds are all running around killing everyone else, which is why two clerics is a better bet than ever taking a GF. Even if every statement you have made is true the group as a whole is better off having two healer/tanks than 1 healer and 1 non-tank.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    madqhue wrote: »
    The whole game is tanking adds. That is the entire game with the current content. Does no good to have you tanking the boss if the adds are all running around killing everyone else, which is why two clerics is a better bet than ever taking a GF. Even if every statement you have made is true the group as a whole is better off having two healer/tanks than 1 healer and 1 non-tank.

Cleric kites adds gg? Why bring two clerics when you can do it with one?

Youtube Channel

• Options
    rokuthyrokuthy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 179 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    This is what happens when there's a cheesy method in a game to overcome obstacles rather than using skill and strategy. Because something like double astral shield stacking exists, people start to assume it's the only way to do things.

Newsflash: it isn't. It's a crutch, and if that ever gets nerfed, then what are all these little double cleric groups going to do? I've completed everything up to the final boss in DV and Never as a GF and haven't felt like a wasted spot in quite a while. I'll admit that when I attempted to run a full tank build for a while, I began to feel that way. As soon as I dropped it completely and started running my hybrid build, I've more than earned my spot in my group.

And yes, we dominate AE damage, if you've never seen a GF do this, then maybe YOU are playing with bad Guardians, since you keep accusing others of playing with bad GWFs. Hell, I'd even propose that you name an amazing GWF, and then invite me (or Envy) to run an instance with them and then you can see first hand what a GF is capable of. And I don't just ignore everything to put out as much damage as possible; I'm 100% a tank. I control adds, I CC things when it's possible, I'll gather mobs, I kill loose ranged mobs, I'll tank a boss if it's more of a beneficial strat, etc. Point is, I'll do whatever each fight requires to be successful without the double astral shield cheese. One day that might go away and you're going to have to find another crutch. But for the groups running with a GF that's playing the class the way that makes it viable, it won't affect us.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
    Play my foundry campaign, Vermilion: Spirit of Gevaudan. The first quest, The Desperate Messenger is now available @ NWS-DM44FZM2W
  • Options
    wopachengwopacheng Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rokuthy wrote: »
    This is what happens when there's a cheesy method in a game to overcome obstacles rather than using skill and strategy. Because something like double astral shield stacking exists, people start to assume it's the only way to do things.

Newsflash: it isn't. It's a crutch, and if that ever gets nerfed, then what are all these little double cleric groups going to do? I've completed everything up to the final boss in DV and Never as a GF and haven't felt like a wasted spot in quite a while. I'll admit that when I attempted to run a full tank build for a while, I began to feel that way. As soon as I dropped it completely and started running my hybrid build, I've more than earned my spot in my group.

And yes, we dominate AE damage, if you've never seen a GF do this, then maybe YOU are playing with bad Guardians, since you keep accusing others of playing with bad GWFs. Hell, I'd even propose that you name an amazing GWF, and then invite me (or Envy) to run an instance with them and then you can see first hand what a GF is capable of. And I don't just ignore everything to put out as much damage as possible; I'm 100% a tank. I control adds, I CC things when it's possible, I'll gather mobs, I kill loose ranged mobs, I'll tank a boss if it's more of a beneficial strat, etc. Point is, I'll do whatever each fight requires to be successful without the double astral shield cheese. One day that might go away and you're going to have to find another crutch. But for the groups running with a GF that's playing the class the way that makes it viable, it won't affect us.

What you've got here is a logical and plausible post.

Now we just wait for a GWF or a cleric to come in and simply say "you're wrong" in a rather angry tone without stating why they believe you to be wrong.
  • Options
    uberoverpoweruberoverpower Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Then you're either playing with REALLY bad players or extremely undergeared compared to you. I'm a CW and never had less then 60-70% more damage then GFs.

Or you're abusing Tenebrous enchant...that works as well.
  • Options
    shakeypenshakeypen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's a fact that GF are the most useless class in dungeons. It is because the gameplay mechanic is broken. People are only rejecting GF in T2 dungeons because those dungeons are particularly hard so the worthlessness of a GF is more evident.

The broken reason why GF aren't wanted for parties: They can't generate enough threat over the clerics' heals or the threat mechanic isn't working so they are essentially the most useless class as they can't tank and they don't do the best dps.