test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Thank you cryptic for taking out the exploit maps.

Comments

• Options
    zaphtasticzaphtastic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    Still waiting on you guys to unmask the villain who stole my quest's music... No more scooby snacks until you do! :p

Hint: It's probably the guy in the mask.
    *casts Summon Meddling Kids IV*
  • Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zaphtastic wrote: »
    *casts Summon Meddling Kids IV*

LMFAO! Good one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bestarallinbestarallin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I honestly believe they need to fix the music before worrying about exploiters. The people wanting to make legitimate quests are discouraged from showing off their maps when they're dead silent. We've basically been robbed of the atmospheres we worked so hard to craft. And all the devs care about now is these little farm maps. Fix music, then we can worry about exploiters. As of now, there's not even much point in publishing anything but an exploit map, since an exploration quest is going to be boring as <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> without music.

I'm confused. I added a room, Then sleected ambiance, added the music I wanted and it's there when I play it.

Am I missing something?
    Please play and rate my campaign : Making a little on the side. (NWS-DQASUEVTV)
  • Options
    tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm confused. I added a room, Then sleected ambiance, added the music I wanted and it's there when I play it.

Am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing the consequences of what you did. The music is likely to "bleed" into neighboring rooms. If there is only that one room on your map, then you should be fine. If there are more of them however, be prepared for a giant mess once you start moving between them. That method is NOT recommended, even for desperate measures.

Specifically, room ambiance is meant for room ambiance, not music.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »
    Yes, you are missing the consequences of what you did. The music is likely to "bleed" into neighboring rooms. If there is only that one room on your map, then you should be fine. If there are more of them however, be prepared for a giant mess once you start moving between them. That method is NOT recommended, even for desperate measures.

Specifically, room ambiance is meant for room ambiance, not music.

What you missed is the fact that when you publish a map then access it in game the sounds will not work at all. They work fine when you test it in the Foundry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ask the NW devs to exchange phone numbers with the STO team. If nobody saw all of this coming then nobody is communicating.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    What you missed is the fact that when you publish a map then access it in game the sounds will not work at all. They work fine when you test it in the Foundry.

No, you are talking about something else. Don't confuse the issue.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »
    No, you are talking about something else. Don't confuse the issue.

I'm confused now. Are sounds miraculously not broken anymore? The only thing I think I could be missing is if there is an ambience/sound/music option when you select a room.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm confused now. Are sounds miraculously not broken anymore? The only thing I think I could be missing is if there is an ambience/sound/music option when you select a room.

Didn't I already explain this to you in a different thread? Sorry if I'm remembering wrong. Anyway, the situation is this: Placed sounds do not work (though I've heard reports of some working randomly and only from the very beginning of a map until the end. I've seen this happen myself, but even the author admitted that it was too random to be useful). Sounds placed in an area backdrop (for outdoors areas) do not work. Sounds attached to objects (such as garbage with flies or the thunder FX) do work. Sounds placed in the room background (for interior rooms) do work.

You have no control over sounds attached to objects, so for those you'll just have to live with the options that already exist. There is no music with this option. You can control sounds placed in room backgrounds, but they will bleed into neighboring rooms. This is by design, so that you can hear the faint echoes of rooms you are close to. This also means that this option is not suitable for music. You'd end up with a cacophony of disharmonic noise if you tried.
  • Options
    kyriduskyridus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    After being so excited for the potentially fantastic adventures players could make, I was a bit disappointed at how quickly it devolved in to an exp/exploit grind.

Obviously no one's foolish enough to think abuse like this won't ever happen - but wow did it happen fast.

I'd love to see access to the foundry revoked if you produce consistent exploit maps and nothing of substance.

Playing through the works people have put serious effort into is incredible for me - it's a shame we have to slog through pages of 'Ogres in a box can't fight back - free xp!' to find the good stuff.
    'Cullwood Outpost' NW-DC4BNASDA
  • Options
    eros1986eros1986 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    @ about quest, lore and such as they just want to reach the cap fast and pew pew.

IMHO the majority of the MMO players is like that, and the fact that a simple xp grinding quest outshine even the most beautiful of whatever you want to call story quest is the proof.

it is what it is, welcome to reality sir Dungeon Master.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kyridus wrote: »
    After being so excited for the potentially fantastic adventures players could make, I was a bit disappointed at how quickly it devolved in to an exp/exploit grind.

Obviously no one's foolish enough to think abuse like this won't ever happen - but wow did it happen fast.

I'd love to see access to the foundry revoked if you produce consistent exploit maps and nothing of substance.

Playing through the works people have put serious effort into is incredible for me - it's a shame we have to slog through pages of 'Ogres in a box can't fight back - free xp!' to find the good stuff.

It might help you to know something about the history of the Foundry in STO.

I'll set aside all the of the worst aspects of its history, like the fact that it is more bug-filed and less user-friendly now than it was 2 years ago.

Regarding exploits and rewards. There was a time when players got very little for playing Foundry missions. What resulted was a situation in which the Foundry community was a very small group of creative authors who told Trek stories and a small minority of players who didn't care about shinies and just wanted to feel immersed. Our lists of the top-rated missions were choked full of stories and epic morality tales.

Some of us, myself included, thought that some of the fan-created content was far better than much of the official content. We asked, "Why are players not getting better rewards for playing the best story content of the game?"

Since the beginning, there was an reward called a "wrapper," where a player would get stuffz for playing 3 Foundry missions. What happened from the start: People made "clickies" where the only thing to do was interact with an object. Cryptic did NOTHING about that for over a year. Stories got buried in the "new" and "hot" listings. Yet, the "top-rated" still showed actual stories.

Then, STO finally introduced a different rewards system, which in hindsight was about the worst way to do it.

if a mission was at least 15mins, it got standard rewards. A mission that was 1 hour got the same rewards. Almost immediately, our lists filled up with "Battleship Explosion Rumble!!" and AFK grinders. That system was then changed and players found a way around it. The latest round of exploits was horrible.

Our listings of top-rated missions includes tons of stuff that was essentially slapped together in a night, while many of the longer stories (that can take 60-80 hours to really create) are buried.

I don't fully understand how the NW exploits work, but STO has been plagued by a type of kill defenseless mobs style of mission for well-over 6 months. Our devs do nothing about those farming missions.

Every time STO devs do something to try to fix a massive exploit, a ton of players blame Foundry authors for being whiny and elitist "artistes" who take away their free stuffz.

Just to let you folks know what to expect here:

I am probably one of the better known Foundry authors in STO. 6 months ago, I released a mission that took me 120 hours to create. Right now, it has 180 reviews.

Basically, if you guys want your foundry to have "substance," demand that they remove all rewards. Otherwise your lists will be filled with "Ogre Farmz 101" and "Princess Elfies's' WARRZ Babes!"

If that depresses you, then you'll be called an elitist.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kyriduskyridus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow, thanks Kirksplat. Makes sense.

It's too early for me to get too disheartened. The foundry is a big part of this game and potentially provides tons of longevity.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how quickly and how well they see to these problems.
    'Cullwood Outpost' NW-DC4BNASDA
  • Options
    thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yep.. lol. its there.. i just saw a quest in the "best" list, "NEED EXP???? TAKE IT!!!!".. you can tell by the comments that the author is using traps to stick monsters for easy kills.. oh well. lol. No matter what they do to get the exploits out, they will be either overcome a different way, or remade and rebublished. Fear might work. lol. If they are afraid to publish an exploit quest, they might think twice. You could do this any number of ways.. I Think the fine print somewhere said a six month ban from the Foundry, but its a free game. Anyone banned could make a new account. It doesnt take long to get to level 15. (not that im a puter expert that way, so maybe they can compensate somehow). With the game being new, the fear of being heavy handed might be stronger, though. But I will say this.. The potential is amazing, but the potential for exploit is amazing.. Einstein wasnt very happy when he taught the world how to do nuclear fusion, and instead of using it for its many benefits, it made a wonderful bomb instead. lol. Nothing new there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Himmelville - Are you easily frightened?
    Click Here

On one side of the mountain, there were bones...
  • Options
    kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Just to let you folks know what to expect here:

I am probably one of the better known Foundry authors in STO. 6 months ago, I released a mission that took me 120 hours to create. Right now, it has 180 reviews.

Basically, if you guys want your foundry to have "substance," demand that they remove all rewards. Otherwise your lists will be filled with "Ogre Farmz 101" and "Princess Elfies's' WARRZ Babes!"

If that depresses you, then you'll be called an elitist.
    Taking away xp won't get people more plays, in fact it will get you less. People that care about story will find the content, but the people that would like to get the xp for the content will not play it, even if they are interested in the story. Since the grinds are dominating plays, that's what people want to play.

As far as my time versus player time, I've estimated that the content I released for another game (and an old one at that) at the same time as my NWO content got 1000x the player time. Deciding where to keep modding was a no brainer, since it certainly did not take 1000x the time to produce it.
  • Options
    thecainthecain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If they strip rewards from Foundry missions, I'm done with this game and going back to PSO2, Japanese side if I frelling have to. That game enjoyed me playing it, and even let me build my own party from NPCs if I wanted to do that. And the NPCs were useful, healing me, doing damage, etc. They got $10 out of me by promising me that the Foundry would allow me to get rewarded by doing what I enjoy, when I want to, and the second that goes away and becomes like STO's (AKA Space Lockbox Wars Online) Foundry is the day I jump ship.

You don't punch the majority in the face for what the minority did. The foundry is fun, but I'm not doing it if I can't get rewarded through green gear and EXP. I've been doing non-exploit maps for days and enjoying myself over their crappy, cookie cutter fantasy offerings in the main quest, not to mention the fact that to get geared at the end of the game, you HAVE to do their WoW dungeons. So I don't see the problem at all, save for the exploitive maps described here. Yet they seem intent on removing rewards just to hurt the few that were gaming the system. That'll go over swell.

Meanwhile, authors will be returning to Neverwinter Nights to build their modules when everyone gets to 60 and realizes you can't get gear at all from foundry missions. Jontron puts it better than I ever could.
  • Options
    coanunncoanunn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 368 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Here's an idea.. Add a genre tab to the comments section. Let the players rate which genre a foundry quest belongs in rather than the authors and include options like: Loot Farm, XP Farm, Story, Lore, RP, etc.

If the Dev's do anything beyond stopping exploits the "artists" start to lose tools to make compelling stories and the "kiddies" lose the ability to play hack and slash. If you let the player base police itself, then players who want story will sort based on missions tagged story while players looking for farm will sort based on that. Rather than fighting against it embrace it and harness it thus that you get the most out of it. There is room in this game for multiple play styles.
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!
  • Options
    nauonenauone Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    A simple suggestion is to check the total XP a player gets per minute doing a Foundry map. If any player manages above a certain XP/min then map gets removed from the pool and flagged until it is reviewed/fixed.

With a reasonable setting for the XP/min I can't see any issues with this. First player to discover / exploit on a Foundry map would also be the last.

Rather then removing maps (Might not be the map makers intent) why not put a reasonable cap on XP per min gains from foundry quest? this would remove the reason to make these non-sense maps without restricting the ability to do so if they really feel the need. (Perhaps some people want to see how many ogres they can kill at once?)
  • Options
    thecainthecain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    coanunn wrote: »
    Here's an idea.. Add a genre tab to the comments section. Let the players rate which genre a foundry quest belongs in rather than the authors and include options like: Loot Farm, XP Farm, Story, Lore, RP, etc.

If the Dev's do anything beyond stopping exploits the "artists" start to lose tools to make compelling stories and the "kiddies" lose the ability to play hack and slash. If you let the player base police itself, then players who want story will sort based on missions tagged story while players looking for farm will sort based on that. Rather than fighting against it embrace it and harness it thus that you get the most out of it. There is room in this game for multiple play styles.

THIS MAN. THIS MAN RIGHT HERE.

Seriously Cryptic, hire this man, or at least steal this idea. He has ideas that you do not, and would be a boon to you.
  • Options
    gizmosdragongizmosdragon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Different people like different game experiences. The small exploit can easily be fixed. some days I like to melt down batches of NPC's, others I like to embark on an epic adventure. The foundry offers me both and everything in between. Foundry is fine
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    . . . . . I doubt they will ever take away rewards from the Foundry. This has been one of the key things they have advertised for so long now that it would, to me, be too late to go back on now. I know I would raise a fuss if they decided to remove the foundry rewards. Lack of foundry rewards is why I don't do UGC in STO, there is no incentive.
  • Options
    arktourosxarktourosx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Even if they managed to reign in the cheat maps the problem won't go away. People will dress it up and disguise it as something else. One could very easily create some "themed" dungeon, slap on some roleplaying paint like "The Clerics of Cyric are celebrating a Day of the Dark Sun and so therefore you were kidnapped and placed in this maze and have to murder and spill blood in Cyric's name to freedom!" and still have it basically amount to the same XP farm.

Prior to people creating this people instead went in and farmed maps like Draconis Pub (basically a big bar brawl) which had all sorts of story elements to it. It's still one of the best to do for the daily cause it's basically just one big meat grinder of XP.

I'm just going to go ahead and say it that no matter what happens they will never be able to fix this without some severe restrictions on the Foundry. There needs to be some kind of limit on what ratios of monster types can spawn. If you have an Ogre, you need 2 Lieutenant mobs and 4 regular mobs. Till there's some kind of limited ratio like that it's super easy to just create a giant farm map under roleplaying pretenses and maps and these will always exist. It's gamer's nature to look for the path of least resistance and the Foundry is it.
    nwsignature.jpg
  • Options
    mrfalrinthmrfalrinth Member Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    How about equalising the reward per time for the foundry quests up to maximum of 20 minutes (if you stay on the quest longer than 20 minutes you dont get any further benefits other than story if its long quest). So mobs in Foundry quests will not give experience or drops. At the end of the quest however there will be richer reward chest with this calculated amount of experience and drops per minutes spent on it.

This way there would be no "farming" in foundry, and people would play it for the fresh content, cause reward is always the same. It would be like an equally rewarding daily quest with constant stream of fresh stories and experiences.

So all that will differ the quests in the foundry then, would be the creative story and gameplay authors prepared. No difference in reward per minute tho. Isnt that what we all want? Foundry to be populated with players, but not turned into farmfest festival? My suggestion makes it perfect: reward as incentive to play them, and the only factor that will determine players choice of which one to play, will be the story and settings.
  • Options
    malrocks1malrocks1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Totally, completely agree.
  • Options
    back2workback2work Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    im confused..... this is BETA... people are getting banned for doing what they are supposed to do in BETA?
  • Options
    mrfalrinthmrfalrinth Member Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    back2work wrote: »
    im confused..... this is BETA... people are getting banned for doing what they are supposed to do in BETA?

In beta you are encouraged to report bugs, not exploit them for your profit multiple times.
  • Options
    ardennardenn Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Since there isnt supposed to be a character wipe for open beta, Exploits = Bans due to rushing 60 then complaining about having nothing to do and making the game look bad.

I'm pretty furious when I pull up Daily Foundry missions and I see nothing but pages of new missions of "Kill 50 orcs that spawn one by one" or "This mission has a storyline and a quest really, nevermind that your running down one long tunnel of single hit mobs that never agro or cannot use their skills in the tight space provided."

I'm having Hamidon flashbacks from City of Heroes and people at max level in a day.

Please god, let me report these horrid excuses of exp farms and get back to my regular enjoyable gaming... Can I give something a 1 star vote and never see it on my list again?
  • Options
    coanunncoanunn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 368 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    ardenn wrote: »
    Can I give something a 1 star vote and never see it on my list again?

While I disagree with pretty much everything else you said as there are those who enjoy rushing to the end I agree here that there needs to be a way to flag a particular quest to never display for you in the future. That way when I determine what content I like and dislike I don't have to keep digging through the dislike pile.
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!
  • Options
    kittykaswickkittykaswick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It sort of angers me seeing exploit/farm maps get thousands of plays when most serious Dungeon Masters are struggling just to get one or two reviews. I guess people would rather get fast, easy exp than try indulging in a quest's storyline. What really bugs me though is that a lot of us are wanting more freedom in the Foundry, for example, dragons/bosses, more terrain, etc. However, people using exploits is going to make the devs focus more on limiting the Foundry's capabilities than on expanding it. This may very well ruin the game if the devs don't handle it cautiously.

Should tell you that most people dont care for the dungeon master type dungeons.
  • Options
    deadmanetdeadmanet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Yes!
    ardenn wrote: »
    Since there isnt supposed to be a character wipe for open beta, Exploits = Bans due to rushing 60 then complaining about having nothing to do and making the game look bad.

I'm pretty furious when I pull up Daily Foundry missions and I see nothing but pages of new missions of "Kill 50 orcs that spawn one by one" or "This mission has a storyline and a quest really, nevermind that your running down one long tunnel of single hit mobs that never agro or cannot use their skills in the tight space provided."

I'm having Hamidon flashbacks from City of Heroes and people at max level in a day.

Please god, let me report these horrid excuses of exp farms and get back to my regular enjoyable gaming... Can I give something a 1 star vote and never see it on my list again?

And Yes!

Two very good ideas that I will add my support too. I have ran only 4 Foundry quests since OB. And that is mainly because I really don't want to sit there and go through a list of random xp farm, etc... stuff to get to the kind of quest I want to play. I'm not on either side of the xp farming thing by the way. If that's what people want to run, more power to them. I just don't want to have to sift through all of them to get to the (imo) good stuff! :cool:
    fs_pc.png