test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Renegade Control Wizard -- Stats, Feats and Powers (oh my!)

Comments

• Options
    tickledpinkstickledpinks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I have Chill Burst Tabbed so it gets that extra dps with class powers being the ones that give your area of effects 5% added damage and the other one that gives control powers lasted effect...I start out with Chillburst..then I que avalanche and send the rock in.While they're on their backs I teleport close..cast steal time...teleport out and cast entangling force. Then..I press Magic missile and leave it pressed while waiting for chillburst to cool down..(usually takes about 2 seconds after all that)..leave magic missile firing and cast chillburst again as soon as it cools down and fire at wills until avalanche and steal time and entanglement are up again and then rinse and repeat.

Be sure to press "cntrl' to soft target the enemy so if they jump around you'll turn with them.
  • Options
    elimin3elimin3 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Almost and Exact copy of what I use... but I am a human, so I can Max prestidigitation.

How did you figure out the damage of stormspell and what would be something you would use it over evoc? Single target?
    "It is our responsibilities, not ourselves, that we should take seriously." Peter Ustinov
  • Options
    davc123davc123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31
    edited May 2013
    what stats at gear should i focus?
    gear with ?
    power
    crit strike
    recovery
    defence
  • Options
    novopashynnovopashyn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Storm Spell: Shock your target 10% of the time on all attacks.

what does it mean to shock a target?
  • Options
    lisau1974lisau1974 Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    Imivo since the Tiefling TM bug has been confirmed, can you update your guide? I sent a guildee here today and he rolled a Tiefling after reading your suggested race.
  • Options
    vespirkavespirka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have Chill Burst Tabbed so it gets that extra dps with class powers being the ones that give your area of effects 5% added damage and the other one that gives control powers lasted effect...I start out with Chillburst..then I que avalanche and send the rock in.While they're on their backs I teleport close..cast steal time...teleport out and cast entangling force. Then..I press Magic missile and leave it pressed while waiting for chillburst to cool down..(usually takes about 2 seconds after all that)..leave magic missile firing and cast chillburst again as soon as it cools down and fire at wills until avalanche and steal time and entanglement are up again and then rinse and repeat.

Be sure to press "cntrl' to soft target the enemy so if they jump around you'll turn with them.

why dont you start from stealtime, so you have 5 stacks of arcane mastery immediately
  • Options
    lone1egendlone1egend Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been using this build and absolutely loving it. My question/comment is, if you are a Tiefling (like I am) and Tempest Magic is currently useless for us since it's not working with our Racial, where should I spend the 5 points there instead? Right now I am looking at . . .

5/5 Severe Reaction - When struck you have a 15% chance to repel your attacker 1/2/3/4/5 feet and restore 2/4/6/8/10% of your stamina (This only works within 20 feet)

EDIT: I have to respec no matter what. I spent some of my Heroic Points differently before finding this post and can actually see the benefits of the way they are spent here more. Just not sure if I should keep Tempest Magic in or not, since there is no ETA on a fix.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    lisau1974 wrote: »
    Imivo since the Tiefling TM bug has been confirmed, can you update your guide? I sent a guildee here today and he rolled a Tiefling after reading your suggested race.

I will add a note (I think I had one already, but may have been in the feats section), but I don't want to design the guide around bugs that will eventually get fixed. But a note is fine so that people can decide if they want the bug-free option now or the stronger race later on when it is fixed. I think this is a good compromise. :)

edit: Added a note in the race section, in addition to the one in the Tempest Magic discussion! (About five times before the web server accepted it! The forum is currently very busy due to the server crash, so I'll answer other stuff tomorrow and get some sleep now.)
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    basement12basement12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    what weapon/armor enchants would you guys recommend?
  • Options
    yummydownontheseyummydownonthese Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you mean enhancement slots, the greater fire enchantment wins easily. Don't know about the armor.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If you mean enhancement slots, the greater fire enchantment wins easily. Don't know about the armor.

is plague fire the same?
  • Options
    yummydownontheseyummydownonthese Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That's the enchant I was referring to. Greater Plague Fire is the best version.
  • Options
    arajirarajir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would like to question the choice of Wizard's Wratht & Focused Wizardry: they seems 6 feat slots almost wasted.
    The only AoE spells you are suggesting are Tabbed Chill Strike, Steal Time and Shield's explosion. Of these Steal Time has base weak damage (so the increment is negligible) and Shield's exlosion is a bit cumbersome to use and mostly a panic button.
    Conduit of Ice and Icy terrain are not AoEs.

This build is mostly running with 2 encounter AoE and no daily Aoe at all (Arcane singularity and ice knife are the only not AoE daily too).
  • Options
    tooonetwotooonetwo Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    I'm not a fan of the feats. The extra HP isn't worth it in PvP because as a CW you either blow them up or they blow you up. In PvE you have so much CC you shouldn't be worried about an extra 6% HP on a virtually no HP build. Even your items will be focused away from HP in favor of damage. Seems a bit trivial compared to racking up AP for the quicker nukes on bosses. That extra 4% in AP just lets you spam your ice knife more and especially in PvP it far outweighs the extra HP imho.

I am also not a fan of the encounter cool down maxed when 4% is plenty. by pushing it to 10% you lower chill strike by about 1 second. That throws off the timing of your auto attacks though and they're your main (reliable) source of damage when dealing with crit builds. Auto attacks always trump windups with crit. The spell deals a great amount of damage, but you're not going to break your auto attack combo that procs 3 shots just to land another chill strike. The timing of it just doesn't make it worth lowering it by 10%, so I feel the extra 3 points to gain 6% cool down for the chill strike (or anything else) just isn't worth it compared to your other options. Maybe with the right balance of wisdom, but that's moving away from the point of crit.

If you took 3 points out of Fight On then you could move it over to Prestidigation and gain a 3% stat increase to your entire party which would come to 15%, but I am not sure if it affects pets or not, but if it does then it could potentially give you a 6% boost from cat in theory. Not sure if it would stack and I can't test it myself. In PvP you would be making your entire team better and if it stacks with other CW's this could be insane nuking ability for your entire party. Basically the higher the gear score the more beneficial this becomes.

Your Renegade path is perfect and I wouldn't change a thing there. Thaumaturge path I like tempest, but I guess it's broken and I go with snap freeze because chill doesn't stack well on players or bosses. It basically makes chill strike 20% stronger against players and bosses and malevolent surge only lasts 4 seconds which is pretty much 1 spell or 3 auto attacks. Hard to tell exactly who kills what, but you would get progressively stronger as you kill the adds. Then again it is useless when killing bosses and elites because it's hard to know when you're actually proc-ing this ability. Too hard to manage compared to a 20% damage spike that can crit from chill strike.
  • Options
    tooonetwotooonetwo Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    arajir wrote: »
    I would like to question the choice of Arcane Enhancement & Focused Wizardry: they seems 6 feat slots almost wasted.
    The only AoE spells you are suggesting are Tabbed Chill Strike, Steal Time and Shield's explosion. Of these Steal Time has base weak damage (so the increment is negligible) and Shield's exlosion is a bit cumbersome to use and mostly a panic button.
    Conduit of Ice and Icy terrain are not AoEs.

This build is mostly running with 2 encounter AoE and no daily Aoe at all (Arcane singularity and ice knife are the only not AoE daily too).

The 3 points would be better off in blighting power for the spike on your ice knife. Otherwise the extra 9% isn't that impressive and chill strike benefits from either or. GFW's win AoE, CW's seem more of a single target nuke class with some CC to protect themselves and clerics from adds (or rouges in PvP).

For arcane enhancement it's a must have really. Your main source of damage is going to be from crits and your auto attacks will be where most of them come from. 5 chances to crit in 1 auto attack cycle, so it's 6% more damage to your auto attacks. I spend a lot of time auto attacking, so it makes sense to me. I tend to save my abilities for when I need to peel for the cleric, so I don't spam anything other than chill strike.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Pardon it was supposed to be Wizard's Wrath and not Arcane Enhancement.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I would like to question the choice of Wizard's Wratht & Focused Wizardry: they seems 6 feat slots almost wasted.

It is a general purpose build, not a build specialized for very narrow, specific playstyles or content. The question is also where you would put the points instead if you consider total damage and not just single-target boss dps.

As for the Thoughness feat, the discussion does include a comment that some players may want to spend the two points on the alternative. I still feel that the extra HP is beneficial, especially if you take the feat to increase your MM damage when you are in a 20ft range, as you will take hits no matter how cautiously you play, but it is a choice. I usually mention altenatives so that players can make an informed decision. It is a template. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It is a general purpose build, not a build specialized for very narrow, specific playstyles or content. The question is also where you would put the points instead if you consider total damage and not just single-target boss dps.
    Yes, but those 6 feats are only contributing to tabbed Chill Strike damage, because shield is not reliable and Steal Time is low-damage anyway and so the feat absolute return is very low.
    I daresay that Controlling Action, Prestidigitation, Toughness or Learned Spellcaster should have an higher priority and would be more general purpose.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Learned Spellcaster is a good candidate now that it was fixed, I agree. Tabbed Chill Strike is a good portion of our damage, though, probably second only to MM. Controlling Action still strikes me as relatively weak, especially with CC still not really needed as much as I expected to be the case, at least compared to the two AoE feats. Controlling just to get the extra AP when it is not needed still requires the cast, which is time where you don't cast anything else.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I feel that both in Dungeons and PvP most of the time you are focus firing an enemy that is controlled by someone, maybe it was not you, but it makes no difference.
    I will admit that it is sorta underwelming when soloing and against Dungeon Bosses.

Regarding Chill Strike (that I agree is an awesome power and one of the top picks for tabbing) you should consider if maybe _just maybe_ it is a good portion of your damage because you have spent 6 slots on feats that raise your tabbed chill strike damage only.
    Try untab it when making a direct damage comparison.
  • Options
    mawaddah444mawaddah444 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a doubt over a storm skill to spell .. is good to put the 3 points in it or not?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    you should consider if maybe _just maybe_ it is a good portion of your damage because you have spent 6 slots on feats that raise your tabbed chill strike damage only. Try untab it when making a direct damage comparison.

The problem is that there is no good way to really make good, somewhat relevant comparisons. Not only does every respeccing require a token, we also have no way of parsing the combat logs. I had read that there was a NW module for ACT, but I just looked and didn't see one. There's the dummy, but other than that? No two runs are the same.
  • Options
    istari21istari21 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    were i can get 800+ orb? i see one
    and what set bis now, magelord?
  • Options
    sneglzillasneglzilla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    Learned Spellcaster is a good candidate now that it was fixed, I agree. Tabbed Chill Strike is a good portion of our damage, though, probably second only to MM. Controlling Action still strikes me as relatively weak, especially with CC still not really needed as much as I expected to be the case, at least compared to the two AoE feats. Controlling just to get the extra AP when it is not needed still requires the cast, which is time where you don't cast anything else.

How was it fixed?
  • Options
    ashkedawnashkedawn Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »

If I could re-do it all over again, I would go with the 16/16/12 starting array that I mentioned in the guide. The one I went with, 18/13/13, is the alternative.

so if you had gone the 16/16/12, your final numbers would be....24/22/14...is that correct?
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sneglzilla wrote: »
    How was it fixed?
    It used to only give you a percentage of what you got from Int (ie. 5% of ~10-15%) in bonus damage (or ~0.5-0.75% damage), now it gives you 5% bonus damage (both examples are at 5 points).
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    what armor enhancement should i go with?
  • Options
    gbanaggiagbanaggia Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It used to only give you a percentage of what you got from Int (ie. 5% of ~10-15%) in bonus damage (or ~0.5-0.75% damage), now it gives you 5% bonus damage (both examples are at 5 points).

I believe I missed that. Where exactly was that stated by the developers?
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gbanaggia wrote: »
    I believe I missed that. Where exactly was that stated by the developers?
    Not stated by developers, numbers from testing during the beta weekends. Someone else reported in this thread that it was fixed now.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I believe a lot of people are confused about respeccing. You don't have to spend any money at all to respec your feats. You can use AD to respec your feats. However, you must spend $6 to respec your powers. If you respec your powers, it respecs your feats as well.
This discussion has been closed.