test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The BoE epic loots from bosses totally killed the game for me

aullah12aullah12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I could not wait to be 60 so I can go epic dungeons... but... this thing... man, I dont even talk about it. This killed the game for me. I feel there is no point doing PvE concent.

Very bad design choice.
Post edited by aullah12 on

Comments

• Options
    astaziaastazia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    I love it. Means I don't have to bother with content I don't enjoy to get the best items in the game. I can just buy them on AH.
  • Options
    helbjornhelbjorn Member Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only semi-legitimate complaint I can see regarding BoE epics is that everyone will roll need on all loot now so they can sell what they can't use. Is that why you're upset, or is it that everyone can have access to the best gear in the game now?
  • Options
    spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    sadly it also enables the "roll need on everything and whinge you're being self entitled if you complain" player to trololol all the way to the bank. Guess their queue system needs to be circumvented after all endgame eh xD
  • Options
    liquidc86liquidc86 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this wouldnt be so bad if the game had more pvp designed for endgame, but sadly pvp in this game is like 2 maps of one type of scenario.....so much potential......

having BoE from dungeons could allow everyone to gear up quick and since lvling in this game is just a joke it would have been nice to get geared up and lvl'd to have some fun pvp, but im seeing a downfall to all this when someone gets lvl 60 then all the gear and just sits like....well now what? i can pvp the same map over and over or just run in circles in town all day....and wait for a new patch.
    nothing to see here
  • Options
    pantamimepantamime Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think they made it BoE to keep AD relevant, thus keeping the in game economy going while also furthering the need of people to buy zen to get AD for that epic BoE. It is a business after all.

I just got 60 and I have been PvPing since the dungeon queues never pop for me. PvP is fun but they really need to throw a new patch up ASAP.

Lots of people have been 60 for days and are in pretty much full epics.(Dungeon Seal and PvP)

I hope they release the guantlgrym 20v20 pvp soon. I also hop eit isnt some sort of Alterac Valley kind of PvP map that consists mainly of PvE content.

It'd be nice if it were a bigger map with multiple objectives. None of which are Kill the enemies PvE boss first.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PVPer rocking it Solo queue style since the dawn of Neverwinter
  • Options
    thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if you can't see it's P2W then I can't do much.
    The same argument has popped up on these forums time and time again.

Make boss drops BoP and be done with it.
    Other decent MMO's do it, why shouldnt NWO?
    Oh i forgot, PWE...
  • Options
    l3uck3tl3uck3t Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 90
    edited May 2013
    Its an interesting approach for sure. Maybe if enough of the community discusses their opinion on it. They could change it. Its still a beta afterall.
    ReignesLegacy_zpsb47e1102.png
  • Options
    kolrethkolreth Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was quite enjoying this game until I heard about this, because a. I am extremely unlucky with rolls as the best of time, so any gear that is actually useful for me now becomes even harder to obtain, and b. If someone has a certain piece of gear you can tell they have done that content successfully. For some this is about e-peen, for other this is about camaraderie from shared experiences. You could start a convo with someone about the boss that drops it, see how they did it, talk about the pita phases. Now you're more likely to get the answer lolol AH when you ask someone where they got that very nice looking item that would be perfect for you that you didn't know existed.

So I'm not gonna bother, have fun all.

Oh and I hate playing a AH meta game to compete with other ppl because of the economy inflation that people who are willing to buy currency bring into the game.
  • Options
    zrye1977zrye1977 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dont particularly understand why people like the BoE epics in their game. You're going to have excactly what's going on in Tera if you stay with this model. Evenetually new players will be alienated and be forced to grind Astral Diamonds instead of running instances like they should to progress for gear, cause the playerbase will all of a sudden dictate that you must have gear with an item level higher than the instance you're running requires, just look at Tera's endgame, case in point right there.

Not to mention if you can just buy your way to the best gear? Why even play? Just buy everything, run a couple instances, get bored cause nothing you need drops cause you have everything you can possibly want. that just sounds boring to me.
  • Options
    aullah12aullah12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    helbjorn wrote: »
    The only semi-legitimate complaint I can see regarding BoE epics is that everyone will roll need on all loot now so they can sell what they can't use. Is that why you're upset, or is it that everyone can have access to the best gear in the game now?

Both.
    Message too short.
  • Options
    ragerblade82ragerblade82 Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    NICE, I'm going to roll need on everything. I like my loot, and money. So this is going to be a great cash flow. Love it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    NICE, I'm going to roll need on everything. I like my loot, and money. So this is going to be a great cash flow. Love it.

2/10, Apply yourself.
  • Options
    astaziaastazia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    zrye1977 wrote: »
    Not to mention if you can just buy your way to the best gear? Why even play? Just buy everything, run a couple instances, get bored cause nothing you need drops cause you have everything you can possibly want. that just sounds boring to me.

I have no interest in buying Zen with the express purpose of trading it for AD, ever. Earning AD through gameplay in order to buy items from the AH is simply an alternate form of progression. Grind instances hoping to win the roll on the item you want, or grind dailies and leadership missions to get the AD to buy it on the AH, I don't so a problem with that.

I think all they need to do with the system is remove the "need" button in pugs to put everyone on the same page. You might not win the item you actually need, but you might win something else which you can sell for AD to buy whatever.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    kolreth wrote: »
    I was quite enjoying this game until I heard about this, because a. I am extremely unlucky with rolls as the best of time, so any gear that is actually useful for me now becomes even harder to obtain, and b. If someone has a certain piece of gear you can tell they have done that content successfully. For some this is about e-peen, for other this is about camaraderie from shared experiences. You could start a convo with someone about the boss that drops it, see how they did it, talk about the pita phases. Now you're more likely to get the answer lolol AH when you ask someone where they got that very nice looking item that would be perfect for you that you didn't know existed.

So I'm not gonna bother, have fun all.

Oh and I hate playing a AH meta game to compete with other ppl because of the economy inflation that people who are willing to buy currency bring into the game.

You're not alone, the constant pressure to play the auction house to retain relevance is something that has REALLY crept into games in the past while and plagues them to no end. that and the trolls that are about as unimaginative as they get lol
    astazia wrote: »
    I have no interest in buying Zen with the express purpose of trading it for AD, ever. Earning AD through gameplay in order to buy items from the AH is simply an alternate form of progression. Grind instances hoping to win the roll on the item you want, or grind dailies and leadership missions to get the AD to buy it on the AH, I don't so a problem with that.

I think all they need to do with the system is remove the "need" button in pugs to put everyone on the same page. You might not win the item you actually need, but you might win something else which you can sell for AD to buy whatever.

I find this quite relevant, but would just rather we all ignored the queue system and went oldschool and formed groups and blacklisted players excluding them from player created pugs if they went all ninja on us.
  • Options
    pantamimepantamime Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The best thing they could do is only allow characters that can actually use the gear to roll need on it. Anyone else can only choose greed or pass.

This would still leave the ability of a class that already has the gear equipped or in inventory to roll need on it always so maybe some kind of Equip/Inventory check could be placed in order to determine the ability to roll need as well.

That way if you actually need it you can roll need. If you can't use it or already have it you can only roll greed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PVPer rocking it Solo queue style since the dawn of Neverwinter
  • Options
    neolitheneolithe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Play with people you know, problem resolved.

Pay to win means you MUST pay money to stay competitive. Not the case here. If you want to think it's something else, call it something else instead of looking funny when you misuse it.
  • Options
    cqccqc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aullah12 wrote: »
    I could not wait to be 60 so I can go epic dungeons... but... this thing... man, I dont even talk about it. This killed the game for me. I feel there is no point doing PvE concent.

Very bad design choice.

It's a better design choice in my eyes. For example, if I win a rogue chest piece, I can trade it for a Wizard chest piece, Guardian Long Sword. It gives me far more freedom and may or may not require some extra time and skill. Games should require some time and skill. Trading is NOT hard, you just learn the value of things and trade. It makes the game less P2W because you can actually have an overabundance of items you don't need. For example, I could trade a BoE Wizard Chest piece for 5 nightmare keys or something else of value. All that being said, I think NW has a better economic system than WoW and GW2 and pretty much only lacks the economic freedom of Diablo 2, Diablo 3, and Runescape in that regard. There really isn't any good argument for "Items are not BoP so I have to actually play harder in a game." NW does not lack in replayability so I don't see any issue.
  • Options
    cqccqc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Another HUGE advantage is you can get all of your alts gear on your main.
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I love it. Means I don't have to bother with content I don't enjoy to get the best items in the game. I can just buy them on AH.

To me this harkens back to old school MMO design before the dredded Bind on Pickup and Bind on Equip (even though this is still in) when the economies of MMO's were based on items and currency had little value.

I absolutely love this design and if it was to ever change I'd seriously prolly quit playing. Of all the things in the game this is currently 1 of my most joyful experiences. Made over 800k Astral Diamonds in the last 2 days selling stuff I don't want but others do. Item based economies only work when items are worthy of the value. One of the greatest things I loved about Asheron's Call.

Please Cryptic do not ever change this design!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    edited May 2013

That's fine, But what exactly are you going to do to get Astral Diamonds? Dailies? Auction house Trading? i'm not sure what way you can earn AD's with at 60 short of dailies and being a AH Trader, But if you look at what's going on in Tera, it's a pretty nasty grind which i wont go into detail about. But with the rates AD's will have for the first few months, You can bet it's not going to be easy to get your hands on anything unless you've got something in high demand that you can sell on the AH. cause i dont think the dailies income will be enough to get you anything.

I just think it's a better policy to have you actually progress though encounters to get your gear, that way at least you can learn encounters and game mechanics in the dungeons. Also i guess this is probably the best strategy to get AD's relevant, if you make all gear BoP from instances, THere is not much people are gonna wanna buy. it's smart business for a F2P game i suppose. Just makes me wish it was B2P, with a sub, I tend to usually try to stick to those games, but their a dying breed in today's MMO market.
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pantamime wrote: »
    I think they made it BoE to keep AD relevant, thus keeping the in game economy going while also furthering the need of people to buy zen to get AD for that epic BoE. It is a business after all.
    cqc wrote: »
    It's a better design choice in my eyes. For example, if I win a rogue chest piece, I can trade it for a Wizard chest piece, Guardian Long Sword. It gives me far more freedom and may or may not require some extra time and skill. Games should require some time and skill. Trading is NOT hard, you just learn the value of things and trade. It makes the game less P2W because you can actually have an overabundance of items you don't need. For example, I could trade a BoE Wizard Chest piece for 5 nightmare keys or something else of value. All that being said, I think NW has a better economic system than WoW and GW2 and pretty much only lacks the economic freedom of Diablo 2, Diablo 3, and Runescape in that regard. There really isn't any good argument for "Items are not BoP so I have to actually play harder in a game." NW does not lack in replayability so I don't see any issue.

All of the above.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Keep in mind the game has a system for unbinding equipment using AD, so even if they did make something BoP it wouldn't stop people from wanting it to sell on the AH.
  • Options
    reskalreskal Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you're going to make an argument for a supposed good economy, you should absolutely not reference Diablo 3.

Actually, you should probably stay away from Diablo 2 as well. That economy was based on items being marked by how many SoJ's they were worth. Not exactly healthy.

Besides, trading isn't the problem. It's people who are taking away class-based loot from other players who worked to get that loot, so they can sell it for a profit themselves. The solution is easy: Keep items BoE, but only allow classes which can use the items to roll need on them. Everyone else can roll greed - because that's what it is for them. The item isn't something they need. It's something they want to turn into a gain.
  • Options
    hazbro1hazbro1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There could be a relatively simple fix for this.

If an item is class specific, let that class have the option to roll need first, at which point the item will be bound to them automatically so they can't just sell it when they don't actually plan on using it.

If that person/s pass, there is a new roll for the entire party where the item will go into the bags unbound.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    reskal wrote: »
    If you're going to make an argument for a supposed good economy, you should absolutely not reference Diablo 3.

Actually, you should probably stay away from Diablo 2 as well. That economy was based on items being marked by how many SoJ's they were worth. Not exactly healthy.

Besides, trading isn't the problem. It's people who are taking away class-based loot from other players who worked to get that loot, so they can sell it for a profit themselves. The solution is easy: Keep items BoE, but only allow classes which can use the items to roll need on them. Everyone else can roll greed - because that's what it is for them. The item isn't something they need. It's something they want to turn into a gain.

issue with this is when you get multiples of a class rolling on the same gear, or gear they already own or... you just can't stop greed and the economic models in these freemium games (although GW2 had the disease also and it was b2p) only exasperates it.

Work around is to simply just form your own parties and groups, circumvent the bad systems and group with people you can trust, they won't "fix" something unless folks unanimously go against it, and that isn't really going to happen now is it?
  • Options
    korv0xkorv0x Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is disheartening that people who aren't actually capable of playing the game can get the best gear in it with RL money, but I find the gameplay fun. I won't buy anything from the store since it is so pay to win with the BOE gear though.
  • Options
    tehpwnhealstehpwnheals Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »
    To me this harkens back to old school MMO design before the dredded Bind on Pickup and Bind on Equip (even though this is still in) when the economies of MMO's were based on items and currency had little value.

I absolutely love this design and if it was to ever change I'd seriously prolly quit playing. Of all the things in the game this is currently 1 of my most joyful experiences. Made over 800k Astral Diamonds in the last 2 days selling stuff I don't want but others do. Item based economies only work when items are worthy of the value. One of the greatest things I loved about Asheron's Call.

Please Cryptic do not ever change this design!

Yeah...you say that now but when 70% of the population is at level cap, and theyre all running dungeons constantly, creating an EXTREME over abundance of these epics, and AH will soon turn into an undercutting war, to the point where these items will become close to worthless. You're only revelling in the fact these are BoE now because you're selling it to a new population who aren't 60 or haven't gotten around to farming the epics yet, hence their high price.

Looking forward, now that the AH is filled with epics, at dirt cheap prices, everyone is and can be geared as soon as they hit 60, totally voiding the need to even run dungeons anymore, so whats left? 2 maps of PvP of the same game type, where everyone has the same quality of gear. What's left when this game gets to that point is, A) Boredom (Due to lack of PvE drive / Close to no PvP variety) or B) Constant QQ of OP classes now that everyone is on an even playing field.

P.S For all this to happen will take no longer then a month. Cryptic is digging their own grave for a potential-ridden MMO.
  • Options
    aelvez0120aelvez0120 Member Posts: 59
    edited May 2013
    Yeah...you say that now but when 70% of the population is at level cap, and theyre all running dungeons constantly, creating an EXTREME over abundance of these epics, and AH will soon turn into an undercutting war, to the point where these items will become close to worthless. You're only revelling in the fact these are BoE now because you're selling it to a new population who aren't 60 or haven't gotten around to farming the epics yet, hence their high price.

Looking forward, now that the AH is filled with epics, at dirt cheap prices, everyone is and can be geared as soon as they hit 60, totally voiding the need to even run dungeons anymore, so whats left? 2 maps of PvP of the same game type, where everyone has the same quality of gear. What's left when this game gets to that point is, A) Boredom (Due to lack of PvE drive / Close to no PvP variety) or B) Constant QQ of OP classes now that everyone is on an even playing field.

P.S For all this to happen will take no longer then a month. Cryptic is digging their own grave for a potential-ridden MMO.
    Exactly my thought.
  • Options
    callmedeuxcallmedeux Member Posts: 182 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    BoP is the worst idea ever.

Not to mention I really only play this game to PvP, dungeon running IMHO is boring as all hell.
  • Options
    aelvez0120aelvez0120 Member Posts: 59
    edited May 2013
    callmedeux wrote: »
    BoP is the worst idea ever.

Not to mention I really only play this game to PvP, dungeon running IMHO is boring as all hell.

Glory gears are in the game for a reason.