test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Wizard] Control Effects not Effective on Everyone

Comments

• demonical3demonical3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 49
    edited April 2013
    What ticks me off is if a boss is immune to CC spells like Entangling Force wont even do dmg to the boss since hes immune to the CC... its like taking away a whole power on a boss fight..
  • erebus2075erebus2075 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    people are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>...

seriously, removing a FULL aspect of a class completely which is a core part of the class for it to work in the most importent and "epic" of all fights is directly stupid.
    this is equel to removing the ability for clerics to heal, GWF to go into close combat, trickstars to dps, etc etc.... it is simply just a straight out insanely bad choose from the devs side and its made due to the inability to use their brain and come up with a good althernative to allowing perma cc on bosses and as many have mentioned there is a million acceptable althernatives they could have used...

its simply lazy and stupid and its not an acceptable way to go about it.
  • dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    erebus2075 wrote: »

seriously, removing a FULL aspect of a class completely which is a core part of the class for it to work in the most importent and "epic" of all fights is directly stupid.
    this is equel to removing the ability for clerics to heal, GWF to go into close combat, trickstars to dps, etc etc.... it is simply just a straight out insanely bad choose from the devs side and its made due to the inability to use their brain and come up with a good althernative to allowing perma cc on bosses and as many have mentioned there is a million acceptable althernatives they could have used...

In 4E tabletop, on which this is based, they got rid of immunities, but bosses were given many more frequent chances to make saves against control effects. That way the Controllers (an entire role encompassing many classes in D&D4e) weren't cheated at every boss encounter, but they weren't god mode for it either. Cryptic should implement something like that, a limited effect, but not total immunity.
  • corellccorellc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well speaking from what I have solo'd up to lvl 40, I've found that some story bosses cant be CC'd at all, so I just hit them with magic missile build up arcane mastery then hit them with ray of enfeeblement that hits pretty hard at max stacks I have found. I also swap out entangling force with sudden storm.
    Just hit and run take out adds when I can and kite the sucker around, helps if there are traps around to lead them onto :) having them hit for 2k-3k helps takes them down. I do admit a few times I have been running around lick a headless chicken but it seems to be working for me.
  • capgarnascapgarnas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 500 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I can't see it being that big of an issue either.

TR rogue go troll somewhere else
  • streethawkestreethawke Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    capgarnas wrote: »
    TR rogue go troll somewhere else

I am sorry, what?
    b_ro.png
    When you want to break the mold

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • nasuradinnasuradin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I miss the ability from CoH where you could stack control effects on a boss which would otherwise be highly resistant to it, and if enough stacks were on the boss it would break through their resistance, for however long those stacks remained, which was usually 1-2 seconds.. but other than that it would be nice if control effects did a little extra damage to enemies that cannot be controlled so I have a reason to have a rotation that consists of more than 1 button.
    edited May 2013
    Are there more thoughts on this?

Some great discussions going on.
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
    edited May 2013
    Perhaps this topic is exhausted...
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • corellccorellc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Correct me if I am wrong on this, though I have not noticed when the bosses were resistant to the CC effects that there was no pop up saying "Resists" or "Immune" while fighting.
    Would be nice to see something like that pop up rather than finding it out on the run so to speak. Also having a secondary power set could help, not something you can change mid fight but if you know that the boss is resistant you can swap out to a pure dammage set. Rather than having to waste time swapping various powers around, would be useful in dungeons rather than holding people up you can hit a key and swap things out.
    edited May 2013
    I did verify that Enfeeblement does work on those bosses immune. But I don't see any bonus damage from any control powers at all. Let alone debuffs aside from Ray of Enfeeblement.

This is disappointing as only one power is useful for getting an edge over a boss... while debuffing with a Controller is fine with me, I would like to see it more from other powers and synergy going on as well.
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • airelanairelan Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Fought a Mimic chest yesterday. Was super tough because cc or chill didnt work.
  • elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    airelan wrote: »
    Fought a Mimic chest yesterday. Was super tough because cc or chill didnt work.

The trick with them is to save your dodges for their PBAE attack. Otherwise it should be manageable.
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seriously? You expected BOSSES to be CCed? You live under a rock?
  • renshaw1renshaw1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lerdocix wrote: »

No. We expected some kind of replacement effect such as slightly increased damage against foes immune to CC, or the ability to at least interrupt bosses abilities.
  • elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lerdocix wrote: »

Well some of us don't and are ok with how it's designed. Those of us that focus on arcane mastery over chill, at any rate :P
    edited May 2013
    Some of use don't want 1/4 of our damage to be taken away as well as not being able to control the battlefield... hence CONTROL Wizard.

Yes, mimics are a pain in the butt. Dodging and enfeeble is about the best you can do... but you have to wait until level 35 for that tactic.
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • renshaw1renshaw1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ^What he said basically.
  • reilnkurreilnkur Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't think they need to change anything. I play my CW fine against bosses that are immune to any CC. you still get the dmg from the abilities as well any debuffs, so the only thing you really lose is the stun. If you are complaining because you solo a lot, use your dodges and DOTS as well use traps to take them down.
  • maevar1maevar1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited May 2013
    There are some bosses in the game where control effect will not work on them. At all.

Jareth was unable to be CC'd (crowd controlled) with 3 control wizards using the same TAB power...

We were going to use 5 control wizards and see what happens, but we were already told he is immune.

I ask that you guys reconsider. No knockbacks, quick holds, interrupts anything makes the control wizard kind of pointless during these fights.

Sure you have little adds, but they are peons , and hardly live long enough for the single target holds to really be effective.

A suggestion... Allow the control effects to work on these guys, even if it is only for a second. And knockback that only go a few feet. This will at least allow the control wizard to be more useful than well... a tower doing nothing but spamming default attacks : /

Thanks for at least reading :D

You pathetic gamers should be banned from this game permanently. Seriously, you can't learn to play a game or get some skill, you gotta have the developers water down another game cause your a bunch of losers. You people make me sick!
    edited May 2013
    maevar1 wrote: »
    You pathetic gamers should be banned from this game permanently. Seriously, you can't learn to play a game or get some skill, you gotta have the developers water down another game cause your a bunch of losers. You people make me sick!

Would you mind not holding back on your trollish attack?
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is a huge overlook by the devs. It's very simple, keep bosses immune to CC, but the debuffs should still be applied, simple as that.

Now you don't lose dmg bonuses, or lose dmg all together on things that are dot/cc combined.
  • kwsapphirekwsapphire Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Let me clarify my stance by saying that I'm not mad at the current system. I understand some bosses are going to be immune or highly resistant to CC. This doesn't diminish the fun I have playing my CW, and if anyone wants to skip over inviting my CW to a team because of lack of boss-CC, fine, I won't play with that team. No big deal. However, I see where people are coming from on this issue, and I do think it's worth another look by the devs.
    erebus2075 wrote: »

While I agree that there are better options than the current mechanic, I don't think calling the developers stupid is going to affect any change. I'm sure they had their reasons for implementing it this way, and I'm sure they're willing to listen to reasonable discussion on the topic. And calling people "<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> [...] lazy and stupid" in a post with no fewer than 26 spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors is deliciously ironic.
    elyrielle wrote: »
    Well some of us don't and are ok with how it's designed. Those of us that focus on arcane mastery over chill, at any rate :P

Streethawke, who started this thread, is focused on Arcane Mastery. I'm personally going with both arcane and ice powers, making up for lack of chill stacks with feats that let my cold powers borrow my arcane stacks. But Entangling Force is Arcane, not chill, and Entangling Force doesn't work on most of the bosses. So it's certainly not just a question of "Arcane powers work on bosses and Cold powers don't."
    reilnkur wrote: »
    I don't think they need to change anything. I play my CW fine against bosses that are immune to any CC. you still get the dmg from the abilities as well any debuffs, so the only thing you really lose is the stun. If you are complaining because you solo a lot, use your dodges and DOTS as well use traps to take them down.

I think one of the major points of contention is that CWs usually get bonus damage for a target that is mezzed, and because we can't mez certain targets, we're losing a quarter of our damage against those targets. (I'm not sure, because I didn't actually know we get bonus damage vs. mezzed targets.) And it certainly doesn't make soloing impossible - what we're talking about here is a reduction in effectiveness that makes CWs less useful for boss fights. Why bring a wizard to a boss fight when you can bring a class that doesn't lose their effectiveness against said boss? I know, to deal with adds, but rogues can do that too. CWs aren't supposed to be straight up DPS, CWs are supposed to bring other things to the table.

Oops, it appears you've made a couple of errors, let me fix that for you!
    You pathetic trolls should be banned from this forum permanently. Seriously, you can't learn to read peoples' posts or understand the discussion, you gotta tear people down because you don't know how to discuss ideas that don't jive with your worldview. You people deserve all the pity I can give!
    qtPt2I
    edited May 2013
    kwsapphire wrote: »
    Streethawke, who started this thread, is focused on Arcane Mastery. I'm personally going with both arcane and ice powers, making up for lack of chill stacks with feats that let my cold powers borrow my arcane stacks. But Entangling Force is Arcane, not chill, and Entangling Force doesn't work on most of the bosses. So it's certainly not just a question of "Arcane powers work on bosses and Cold powers don't."

My impression was the LEGITIMATE complaint was on losing DAMAGE done to bosses because of chill not applying. Not that your actual control powers don't work on the bosses. Expecting you to be able to lock down a boss the same way you can lock down a lieutenant is lunacy. If that was the point of this thread, well I completely disagree.
  • xeltarzxeltarz Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Compare cc not landing on bosses to EverQuest, where, anything in dungeons could be mesmerized, slowed, debuffed, rooted. I am disappointed at how the Control Wizard is implemented.
    edited May 2013
    elyrielle wrote: »
    My impression was the LEGITIMATE complaint was on losing DAMAGE done to bosses because of chill not applying. Not that your actual control powers don't work on the bosses. Expecting you to be able to lock down a boss the same way you can lock down a lieutenant is lunacy. If that was the point of this thread, well I completely disagree.

No I think you're right, the point is to not punish CWs with a reduction in damage just because a boss can't be mezzed. I think the topic may have wandered around a bit as people have different opinions on the subject, but I'm pretty sure Hawke wasn't suggesting that we be able to chain-hold every boss in the game.
    qtPt2I
  • soanvalckesoanvalcke Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't even know why this is still a discussion.

FACT: Every boss fight has adds. These adds must be killed, or you won't survive.
    SOLUTION: DPS adds and boss when you are able to.

Why is this hard to understand? This is NOT a "sit on the boss, hurp durp DPS" game. Seriously, who the **** cares?
    edited May 2013
    Hmmm, I think not everyone is fully reading the OP. I can understand skipping over a few pages (there are 9 afterall). I threw out other alternatives as can be seen here :
    There are some bosses in the game where control effect will not work on them. At all.

Jareth was unable to be CC'd (crowd controlled) with 3 control wizards using the same TAB power...

We were going to use 5 control wizards and see what happens, but we were already told he is immune.

I ask that you guys reconsider. No knockbacks, quick holds, interrupts anything makes the control wizard kind of pointless during these fights.

Sure you have little adds, but they are peons , and hardly live long enough for the single target holds to really be effective.

A suggestion... Allow the control effects to work on these guys, even if it is only for a second. And knockback that only go a few feet. This will at least allow the control wizard to be more useful than well... a tower doing nothing but spamming default attacks : /

Thanks for at least reading :D

And yes control wizards do need something as their Control needs to be polymorphed in these certain boss fights (to include mimics).

There is a feat or ability (forget which) that allows more damage to be done to a CC'd enemy, much like the Controller in CoH.
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
    edited May 2013
    soanvalcke wrote: »

FACT: Every boss fight has adds. These adds must be killed, or you won't survive.
    SOLUTION: DPS adds and boss when you are able to.

Why is this hard to understand? This is NOT a "sit on the boss, hurp durp DPS" game. Seriously, who the **** cares?

Fact: Coming off short and making people feel bad.

Solution: Be less hostile and see it from the viewpoint of others.

Every boss fight having adds are either too easy, or too difficult for a control wizard to handle.

Indra, boss that is around level 38-40, her fight involves at any given time 2-8 (sometimes more) respawning mini boss adds with extreme health and damage resist and does around 1500-3000 damage a hit. I dont care who you are, but no single Control Wizard can do all that work himself. Since our controls are single target and last around 3 seconds or so.

The TR has some crowd control, as does the Guardian and the Cleric. (sometimes better in certain cases). But the Control Wizard at that point has two functions, single target controls (the ice patch if you are ice oriented) and AoE attacks, albeit limited.

So yes... I do believe that the debuffs need to still happen at the very least.. but moreso the control effects could still be used on those bosses.. instead of it lasting 3 seconds, it goes 1 second, to help interrupt or slow down that big power attack.

If folks do not agree, that is fine, but to demonize those who wish for their class (all of their class) to be represented, just is not right. Please respect others in how you convey your thoughts.
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
    edited May 2013

Yeah, I don't know what people are thinking. It's not like this is a discussion forum or anything... oh wait...
    Seriously, who the **** cares?

You care enough to post vitriol, which has so far has increased the post count by 3. Unfortunately it hasn't contributed much to the discussion at hand.

If I understand your stance correctly, you feel that a Control Wizard's role within a group should be to damage adds and bosses. Others in this thread feel that the rogue class is better suited to DPS, and a wizard's role is more about control than DPS. The fact that control is ineffective in some cases is a point of concern, which is why we're having a discussion about possible alternative solutions.

For example, in some boss fights there are boss-level mobs in the add spawns. In some cases, there are 2 or 3 bosses in the add spawn. As a single control wizard on a team, I can engage one of those bosses and perhaps even take it down solo (taking minutes to do so) - but at that point I'm not doing anything about the main boss, or the other 1-2 bosses it spawned. So the rest of the team has to deal with that. I know there's a happy medium somewhere. Maybe the boss add spawns are just too hard, or maybe you need to fight certain bosses when everyone has outleveled the dungeon. I'm not asking for content to be push-over easy, but I also don't want to feel useless in given situations either.

Again, I'm not mad at the current mechanic, but I understand some people are unsatisfied. The forums are here to foster discussion, so that's what we're doing. If you don't care, please feel free to surf to another thread in the forum.
    qtPt2I