test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Community Foundry Manual

sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
Hey everybody!

I'm excited to share that community member gillrmn has put together an awesomely thorough Foundry Manual that details your first steps in creating your very own Foundry missions. It's so awesome, in fact, that we want to share it with the entire Neverwinter community, which means that we've now lifted the NDA on the Foundry toolset.

<releases kraken>

If you'd like to start reading up on the Foundry before getting into the game and creating missions left and right, head to gillrmn's Foundry Manual Part 0 and Part 1.

Three cheers for gillrmn!
Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
Post edited by sominator on

Comments

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for the awesome work Gillrmn!

Your work on The Foundry is truly awe inspiring!
    And to also take the time to make a clear and concise tutorial which I could imagine coming out of a high quality "How To" Book...

Well done!
  • tacc4990tacc4990 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Any way we can get dev confirmation one way or another on whether or not Foundry can create 5 man quests/dungeons? Or is it strictly solo stuff?
  • llelowyn13llelowyn13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks gillrmn! I'll toss a few AD your way in-game!
    Oops, can't access. Okay, never mind! :p
    "A True Friend Stabs You in the Front."
    ~Oscar Wilde~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Look at what the Great Weapon Fighter can do, he's so OP!"
    ~Andy Velasquez~
  • badbotlimitbadbotlimit Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 175 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2013
    tacc4990 wrote: »
    Any way we can get dev confirmation one way or another on whether or not Foundry can create 5 man quests/dungeons? Or is it strictly solo stuff?

For Launch you cannot create 5 man "dungeons". You can however make content that 5 players can play together.
  • tacc4990tacc4990 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    For Launch you cannot create 5 man "dungeons". You can however make content that 5 players can play together.
    Oh man.. That's so disappointing :( 5 man dungeons was the most exciting part of Foundry that I was looking forward to.

Thanks for the information anyway.
  • savadioussavadious Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    HOly mother !

Thanks for letting me peel myself away from the STO foundry for practice... this will help me tremendously.... I may spend so much time in the foundry that I have no time left for adventuring !

It looks AWESOME !

"yeah, Awesome !" Boboiboy quote of the day
    :P
  • shonsu5320shonsu5320 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Oh man.. That's so disappointing :( 5 man dungeons was the most exciting part of Foundry that I was looking forward to.

Thanks for the information anyway.

No need to be disappointed. You can create a dungeon that needs a 5 man party to complete. You just can't control the mechanics to force a 5 man party. You can specify in the description that a 5 man party is highly recommended.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    *does the 3D Edit Mode dance*

I'm so happy, oh so happy.
    You guys have NO IDEA how hard it was to keep our lips sealed about 3D Edit. Just...*dances until he collapses*
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    *Finally* :)
  • manco111manco111 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Great work on the manual Gillrimn!

Already answers a few things I was wondering about in the back of my mind. Can't wait to get started with the foundry.
    edited April 2013
    shonsu5320 wrote: »
    No need to be disappointed. You can create a dungeon that needs a 5 man party to complete. You just can't control the mechanics to force a 5 man party. You can specify in the description that a 5 man party is highly recommended.
    So you can crank up the mob difficulty to be suited to 5 players? That's all I was really worried about. If the mobs/encounters are designed to be solo'd then bringing 5 players in will be a snoozefest.

Also now that NDA is lifted can we start seeing some videos of Foundry stuff? :)
  • haelrahaelra Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I very much appreciate the hard work the manual represents; but as a small critique, I find the all caps font it uses to be very tiring to read.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    I love editing in 3d, seriously the best feature. Don't get me wrong, the whole Foundry is just awesome and it just keeps getting better. So very glad the NDA has been lifted on the Foundry!

Good going Gillrmn! Very awesome Guides, indeed!
  • shonsu5320shonsu5320 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So you can crank up the mob difficulty to be suited to 5 players? That's all I was really worried about. If the mobs/encounters are designed to be solo'd then bringing 5 players in will be a snoozefest.

Also now that NDA is lifted can we start seeing some videos of Foundry stuff? :)

You can pick the difficulty of the "encounter" and you can put a bunch of strong "encounters" in one place to ramp up the difficulty.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Gill any chance of you doing an Youtube presentation for us noobs?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • jdnycjdnyc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Foundry is awesome. So glad we can talk about it now. 3D edit is pretty darn cool.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    haelra wrote: »
    I very much appreciate the hard work the manual represents; but as a small critique, I find the all caps font it uses to be very tiring to read.

I see. It was foundry font I used. But if you want to chose your own font I will upload .doc files too.
  • mustymusty Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thank you Gillrmn for working on the manual for everyone and thank you sominator for the news about the NDA status.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Website Dedicated to Foundry Tutorials: www.NWUGC.com Twitter: @NWUGC
    Check out my Foundry Adventures and don't forget to Rate them!

Gold or Bones!!
  • vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Thanks Gillrmn for the manual, thanks Sominator for the news!

Cheers!
    Fighter.jpg
  • yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Thanks Gill you're the best!
  • haelrahaelra Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    .doc file for those with font troubles:-

Link 0:- http://sdrv.ms/XQ8sD6
    Link 1:- http://sdrv.ms/Z9RpXM

p.s. The font being used belongs to these guys and was used for fan-creation purpose only. So do not use that font at 'non-Neverwinter fan' stuff. Thanks!

EDIT:
    Also this is just the start. I will make sure to make you all experts in nonlinear quest making.

Thank you so much! <3
  • derangedheroderangedhero Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Oooh, shiny manual PDF things to alleviate everyone's desire for Neverwinter goodies.
    And foundry stuff, no less! :D

Many thanks, good sir.
    You are a gentleman, and a scholar. ;)

And to the devs, keep being awesome!
    The game is building up to look quite enticing, and it's all thanks to you. <3
    ---
    [SIGPIC]Or am I?[/SIGPIC]
    This loony is also known as @Derangement.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited April 2013
    Excellent work, gillrmn. I look forward to reading the future updates.

Readers may also find my Foundry new author tips from STO to still be relevant:

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/sto-ugc-tutorial/syberghosts-tips-for-new-authors/
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Great job Gill!
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    For reference:---

killcannon wrote: »
    I think the most annoying bit about the production of your tutorial Gillrmn is the almost page long skipping it does between pictures. Not sure if it's just the online viewer or how it was edited. Find it annoying to get 2 sentences, one or two pictures then a whole blank page before another couple sentences. T.T

I have tried to keep such places minimum but have tried to maintain continuity so you see the picture when it is relevant.

However you can [post=1673061]download .doc files[/post], and then click between the pages to close the white-space between them. that should help. Or you can use outline view when viewing word document.

EDIT:
    Also make sure you have the latest versions. Current is 1.12 and 1.2.