test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

You should just make the game buy once play forever

Comments

• Options
    timm4444timm4444 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 363
    edited April 2013
    zieglerz wrote: »
    Guild/faction Versus...is conflict created by the players in the game to enjoy the game.
    Subscribers/freebers...founders/sane people....those are created by the developers and cause unwanted strife in the community...but what am I saying... F2P games couldnt care less about community. The suckers will pay gladly and they dont want the discerning customer who might actually demand content as opposed to a shamrock pattern on their horse armor for 10 bucks.

Charging a sub and everybody being on a level playing field...everybody having equal access to everything in game...those used to be common sense rules for any game. But not anymore, not with the entitled generation. no problem, luckily, I can spend my cash on plenty of other games that havent went this way yet.

And just think....if this game was a subscription based game, then when it goes live...you wouldnt have to put up with negative people like me unless we paid for the game too.....

Sub based games are a thing of the past.

Not everyone wants to pay 15.00 a month if they can only play a couple hours a week, F2P eliminates that.

Numerous market research studies have proven that people spend more money with F2P then P2P monthly.

So it makes sense for a company to ditch the Subscription model and go with a Fluff cash shop.

So please take your cash and go play games that are stuck in the past and refuse to evolve. . .
  • Options
    zieglerzzieglerz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 197 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    timm4444 wrote: »

Not everyone wants to pay 15.00 a month if they can only play a couple hours a week, F2P eliminates that.

Numerous market research studies have proven that people spend more money with F2P then P2P monthly.

So it makes sense for a company to ditch the Subscription model and go with a Fluff cash shop.

So please take your cash and go play games that are stuck in the past and refuse to evolve. . .

Thank you for admitting what I have been saying. The F2P model has absolutely nothing to do with providing a better experience or service to the customer. It is all about bilking the customer instead. They found out that cheapo people will not spend 15.00 a month, but will gladly spend 30.00 a month, if they can do it in 5 transactions of 6.00 each and the greatest part for the company is that they sold them something that took very little resources to create, a my little pony decal for the shield emblem or chartreuse colored leggings for the dwarf!!....

And nope...I think I will stay around and muck up the place....after all it is F2P, so there really isnt a way to stop me as long as I am within the TOS for the forums since I am a paying customer same as you...even though I didnt spend anything and wont.
  • Options
    futrixfutrix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    timm4444 wrote: »

Are we talking about the average F2P game earning more than the average P2P game? Or F2P games on the whole making more money (since there are so many of them).
    I have heard before and I don't doubt it, but I have been having trouble finding the sourcing. Happen to have any links saved?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    <removed link per the RoC>

They make more money the same way there are more female gamers then guys.
  • Options
    thorordragonbanethorordragonbane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 162 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Thank you for admitting what I have been saying. The F2P model has absolutely nothing to do with providing a better experience or service to the customer. It is all about bilking the customer instead. They found out that cheapo people will not spend 15.00 a month, but will gladly spend 30.00 a month, if they can do it in 5 transactions of 6.00 each and the greatest part for the company is that they sold them something that took very little resources to create, a my little pony decal for the shield emblem or chartreuse colored leggings for the dwarf!!....

And nope...I think I will stay around and muck up the place....after all it is F2P, so there really isnt a way to stop me as long as I am within the TOS for the forums since I am a paying customer same as you...even though I didnt spend anything and wont.

lol its not like its some trick ...the reason it makes more money is because even though there are some people who wouldn't pay for a 15 dollar subscription ..there are plenty of people who would pay way more than that ....that's how they make money not by tricking someone who normally wouldn't buy a subscription into paying more , but buy letting those who would spend more....spend more
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    there isnt true pay to play game anymore ,and b2p is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> to why would i buy game for 60$ which i cant even try demo and it still except from me to spend 100-200$ in cashshop im more happy whit f2p where i can try game and if i wont spend cash,why isnt 15$ a month enough in p2p games why there still have to be cash shop ;/,so for me f2p or normal p2p ,b2p is big deception and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> to me
  • Options
    futrixfutrix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    <removed link per the RoC>

They make more money the same way there are more female gamers then guys.
    Not quite in the same genre.
    Specifically MMOs and the P2P vs F2P payment models.
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    First of all, the Founder's packs are completely irrelevant to any discussion of the game's post-launch revenue model. The game is free to play, so after it launches the beta access and early access granted to Founders will no longer mean anything in relation to how they will make money going forward.

Secondly, the buy to play business model offers very little incentive to improve and expand the game at all. They already got paid. They need to maintain interest to keep the game popular enough so that new players will buy boxes. But, that only goes so far. With free to play, the developers sell things in pieces so they have to constantly come up with new and better pieces to keep making a profit.

Thirdly, free to play is more profitable. But, not by getting more money from each player. Free to play players still spend, on average, less money individually than the price of a subscription each month. But there are lots more of them doing so. Cryptic can carefully analyze what sells and what doesn't sell so that they can sell players the kind of stuff they actually want to buy. That means they spend more dev time on the things we want them to.
  • Options
    ichbinichbin Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Why do this the respectful, dignified, & caring way, when they could just try to squeeze as much money out of their moneybags w/ legs (customers) as they can.

Arenanet = Artists

Cryptic = Greedy f*cks.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    ichbin wrote: »

Cryptic = Greedy f*cks.

You, my good sir....have insulted f*cks everywhere. I demand satisfaction!!!!
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You should just make the game buy once play forever

Is no longer a viable model for long term game. The fact that the game is f2p relieves me now as it means that the game is going to be maintained for long.

As time passes, you can see the MMOs which make you 'buy once' add cash shops. They do so because no body likes prfits thinning out over time.

Old times of single player games with three extensions are no longer. Then, the technlogical development and expectation was low. Now expectation of quality requires companies to support their product with frequent updates. See how many updates firefox used to shell out earlier and how many now?

The fact that game is not what you say certainly means that the cryptic is aiming for a marathon, not a sprinter.
  • Options
    ichbinichbin Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Is no longer a viable model for long term game. The fact that the game is f2p relieves me now as it means that the game is going to be maintained for long.

As time passes, you can see the MMOs which make you 'buy once' add cash shops. They do so because no body likes prfits thinning out over time.

Old times of single player games with three extensions are no longer. Then, the technlogical development and expectation was low. Now expectation of quality requires companies to support their product with frequent updates. See how many updates firefox used to shell out earlier and how many now?

The fact that game is not what you say certainly means that the cryptic is aiming for a marathon, not a sprinter.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/

nuff' said
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    ... As time passes, you can see the MMOs which make you 'buy once' add cash shops. They do so because no body likes profits thinning out over time...

Quoted for emphasis which you might have missed while reading the post.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Quoted for emphasis which you might have missed while reading the post.

I didn't miss a thing, Arenanet did it right, and continues to do it right. GW1 went on strong for 7+ years, until GW2 came out. Being a good company can be done, just certain ones rather be lazy and still ask for more.

The 'added' cash shop you state, wasn't 'added' at all... it was there from the get-go. The only difference is that theres no nickel n' diming you for content, like a certain other developing company does. Theres no new reskinned class, or different colored power every month, asking for $10 - $15 for rehashed <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. However, when you ARE asked to pay some serious money, its usually for 'actual' content that's been worked on and sculpted, giving you the player a new experience & enjoyment.

Oh... wait, Anet has already done that, but with no price tag... several times now.
  • Options
    eljacko56eljacko56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree. In my opinion, B2P is the perfect model for any game. It does away with subscriptions, which is always good, and it ensures that the developers don't need to go to egregious lengths to ensure that people buy the microtransactions. The way it's currently shaping up, it looks like NW is going to be abusing the microtransactions pretty badly. I don't know if the devs would rectify this given the opportunity, but if they could then they should, and with B2P they could.
  • Options
    makubimakubi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31
    edited April 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    The Founder's pack is worth it to me; I don't have a lot of time to play, but I am well paid, so I'd rather spend money to get cool stuff that improves my experience in my limited gaming time. As for the Starter, I'm holding off on that because I don't think I need the extra bit. I'm not ruling it out yet though.

Yea. Reason why I got it, just wondering if it's worth to buy the other two founders pack. Such as Guardian, for the additional stuff it adds. Like extra astral diamonds, additional greycloak legacy. As for the starter kit, the additional +1 AC token and 12slot bag.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [ +2 Lipstick of Power ]

I draw my own signature/avatar when I am bored.
  • Options
    fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Wait, so you're saying Neverwinter should cost money to buy the game and then be free forever? Instead of being free, free and totally free?

Hrmm...

I was actually going to reply with almost the exact same wording. Not sure what the OP was thinking but he obviously hasn't been reading anything anywhere at any time about the game's information. Nowhere anywhere does it say you have to buy anything at all to play, so why request that you have to pay to play?
  • Options
    ganiriesganiries Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

This actually made me giggle. Just a couple thoughts while reading this thread. Buying a Buy-to-play/non-subbed game isn't "Forced to buy," it's more "I think this looks good--possibly tried beta and I'll buy." I don't agree that developers using a buy-to-play model aren't thinking about the future of their property.

I haven't played Guild Wars 2 (just not interesting to me), but if they had no motivation to expand the game or add content, and it was obviously so, the population would quickly dwindle. I think their developers thought they had a really strong game, and set their pricing plans to reflect that.

I also don't agree that the mmo pricing plans and revenue streams have "evolved" into free-to-play. I believe the next several years will reflect a cyclical pattern and several new games will once again become subscription based. Although I'd add to that, that there will probably be more niche titles focusing on certain type of play styles, to which people will gladly pay a sub for, aka Camelot Unchained focusing on Realm vs. Realm with no PvE content whatsoever.

As a side thought, one of the reasons I'd pay a sub for an mmo I enjoy playing is to avoid immature players who don't even like the game. Anyone who played all three beta weekends could easily compare/contrast the player-base of the first CBT to the last CBT. I paid for sub for several years, and yes, there were trolls, griefers and general bad behavior, but that experience was nothing compared to the free-to-play community that I've experienced the last few years. Just my experience.
    Ornament-3.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    ... The 'added' cash shop you state, wasn't 'added' at all... it was there from the get-go. The only difference is that theres no nickel n' diming you for content, like a certain other developing company does. ....

*The cleric giggles*
    wasn't 'added' at all... it was there from the get-go
    Makes my argument stronger.
    no nickel n' diming you for content
    Cryptic is not charging you for content. No game can compare to cryptic in providing free content.

The point is, f2p is free to pay. The freedom to pay.

You see the content. You like the content. Then you pay for content if you like.

You are not forced to pay for something that is hidden from you and you have no idea how it is.

Give an ear to Craig's interview on f2p. He is good at explaining it.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Give an ear to Craig's interview on f2p. He is good at explaining it.

He can not give me a plausible reason as to why I could pay 15 a month(and 75 upfront box purchase), and have full access to everything the game has to offer and some how that is a worse deal for me as a customer as opposed to a F2P model where I would literally have to spend thousands to be able to access all content.
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    He can not give me a plausible reason as to why I could pay 15 a month(and 75 upfront box purchase), and have full access to everything the game has to offer and some how that is a worse deal for me as a customer as opposed to a F2P model where I would literally have to spend thousands to be able to access all content.

It sounds like F2P games are not for you.
  • Options
    xcammixcammi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 98
    edited April 2013
    I don't understand why people feel obligated to buy everything that is available for purchase. There is no "content" to purchase here. What you are referring to are perhaps prettier pixels that perform the same function as items already attainable in the game, for free. Pretty costs money, or time, or both. If you don't want to be pretty, you don't have to be. You also don't have to have all the pretty items at game's launch, or ever. OCD much?
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013

It's as simple as this: The content is free. No charging for dungeons or additional content.

The only thing you should, in theory, pay to access is additional cosmetics and some convenience items. You can get away with not paying for a single thing in Neverwinter or other true free to play games. You won't have all the cosmetics but that's where the money comes in.
    You don't need cosmetics to enjoy a game. It can certainly enhance a game but you do not need them.

The only difference between a free to play game and a freemium game (premium game with a free option) is that in a free to play game content is free while freemium (and all games will be freemium or free to play in the near future) still charges you for content (subscription option).

So, *shrugs* as long as a game company doesn't cross from free to play to pay to play there's really no validity in arguing the subscription model is worth anything.
  • Options
    vampuricknightvampuricknight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 40
    edited April 2013
    Sounds like some feel entitled to thosands of dollars worth of content for around 90 dollars.(you aren't by the way) in most p2p games that 15 bucks a month is just the contract you pay to keep servers up and recieve new content in the form of new items/ places/ npc's but never cosmetics which some have been complaining about in previous statements. What you may or may not realise is that in F2p you get all of that free (paying with your time and effort) but just like in p2p you don't get consmetics.

If they were really as money grubbing as some would have us believe they would have a 15 dollar a month subscription + a box copy purchase (probably around 60) + a microtranaction store with top teir weapons/armor/spells/mounts all of which you couldn't earn in game. (so basically be EA :P)
  • Options
    fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

The "Log Out" button is your friend. Do the rest of us a favor and use it, since you absolutely do not want to be here. Checking the technology of the site, I have verified that you are, indeed, not being held prisoner here as you clearly try to implicate. LOL.

I have a recommendation for you . . . SW:TOR . . . that's more your style and what you want in a game.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Sounds like some feel entitled to thosands of dollars worth of content for around 90 dollars.(you aren't by the way) in most p2p games that 15 bucks a month is just the contract you pay to keep servers up and recieve new content in the form of new items/ places/ npc's but never cosmetics which some have been complaining about in previous statements. What you may or may not realise is that in F2p you get all of that free (paying with your time and effort) but just like in p2p you don't get consmetics.

If they were really as money grubbing as some would have us believe they would have a 15 dollar a month subscription + a box copy purchase (probably around 60) + a microtranaction store with top teir weapons/armor/spells/mounts all of which you couldn't earn in game. (so basically be EA :P)

I agree. And another way of looking at it is this . . . people say paying "200 bucks for any game is ridiculous", let alone those of us who bought BOTH packs . . . yet they say it's "cheaper" to pay "15 bucks a month". Really? Sure. Cheaper if you pay for a few months then quit. Does anyone besides me here remember calculating 3 years of any given MMO we like (I say 3 years because that is about the average time I put into an MMO before finally moving on. Some folks stay for a LOT longer than that). That's $540.00. 200/15=13 (rounded down). So what folks are basically saying is that anyone who stays with an MMO even for ONE year are "ridiculous". Yet that is what they desire . . .

People need to learn basic grade school math before forming their conclusions about the "reasonable pricing" of what people spend on games.

Besides . . . that's like . . . a week's wages for low end jobs and a day's wage for higher end jobs. If the game is that important to you, then it's not that much out of pocket.
  • Options
    silver44swordsilver44sword Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am reserved about the whole F2P, pack purchases, or P2P issues in regards to NWO. I think logically F2P is the way to go, but to get premium content the option to sub should be avail @ $7.99 or $9.99 a month with opt of lifetime membership enrollment.

Certain games on the market right now could not thrive with P2P or pre-purchase and ultimately would sink before they barely float. I think the store model is efficient, due in no small part to supporters and that is essentially what the 'pack-purchasers' are plus the fact that some consumers for some reason always buy the anniversary or collector editions....especially fans of genres.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    I am reserved about the whole F2P, pack purchases, or P2P issues in regards to NWO. I think logically F2P is the way to go, but to get premium content the option to sub should be avail @ $7.99 or $9.99 a month with opt of lifetime membership enrollment.

Thing is: There is no premium content.
    Cosmetics and convenience. Nothing you can't live without.
    No barred content.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    You see the content. You like the content. Then you pay for content if you like.

You are not forced to pay for something that is hidden from you and you have no idea how it is.
    Thing is: There is no premium content.
    Cosmetics and convenience. Nothing you can't live without.
    No barred content.

The *moment* they charge you for a class type (ie: warlock, spellsword, monk)... I want you to shove that foot in your mouth.

-edit- Im calling it right now, the first 2 (maybe 3) classes will be free (not like you're getting a full class anyway, just half of one...), but after that... better pay up chump.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The *moment* they charge you for a class type (ie: warlock, spellsword, monk)... I want you to shove that foot in your mouth.

-edit- Im calling it right now, the first 2 (maybe 3) classes will be free (not like you're getting a full class anyway, just half of one...), but after that... better pay up chump.

Officially nothing has been confirmed. Even in our FAQ it said pricing details for additional races and classes are yet to be decided.

But watch this interview from 1:15-1:30. ;)

But in any case if they charge I wouldn't put my foot in my mouth
    I personally wouldn't mind them charging for classes and races (after a few more are added)
    I don't have to buy them. If I buy them that's my choice.
    Hell I'd rather them monetize that than add in lockboxes *angry glare*