What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Where did you get your name ?

Comments

• trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    savadious wrote: »
    just make sure he is TRUE HALFLING...

No one wants to see an Elvish Mr. Bidnis !

216659_482504095132235_680831548_n.jpg

I lol'd

Well played. Well played indeed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deohnoehdeohnoeh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My name is supposed to be deohboeh but for some reason it got changed in the forum... When I moved from one city to another my new class mates started calling me Deo (De-O) My real name being Dev (Dave) :| So I changed it to deoh since i was young then boeh. Deohboeh.
  • philbe63philbe63 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Once upon a time there was a young priestess in training to Anubis who was bitten by a vampire. Her name was Neferesti (the girl who was bitten). She needed someone to help her find said vampire and found a Elven Thief/Cleric (still don't know how that worked but hey, it's all a game right?) named Aerondale. Together they quested and journeyed till they finally tracked down the bloodsucker and ended her reign of terror. Neferesti, now finished with her mission walked into the rising sun to face her true death. Aerondale begged her to turn him but she refused as she'd come to love him as he'd come to love her. It was then that the Gods of both rewarded them for their selflessness and while Neferesti could walk in the sun as a champion for her god. They finally could share their love but Neferesti worried that she could never give Aerondale a child. Aerondale's god, Henali Selani then gave them a spark of life and love that would be their daughter. Lullellen (loosely translated from elven is Beloved Light).

Of course after years and years of hearing tales of her parents daring and adventures, the little scrappy half-elf had no intentions of leading a quiet, mundane life of court. And even with being born through magic, she didn't have the slightest inclination for it. She did, however, have a keen mind and proved exceptional agile. It was always Lull's plans that her and her friends acted upon, most of the time successful. And if they weren't, well she could talk her way out of almost anything.

So, when she was old enough (at least to her mind) she left home and made her way to the most exciting city she'd ever heard tales of...Neverwinter.
  • ricktacularricktacular Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Rick Tacular was born when another forum I was on had a Kim Possible kick. I figured, "Kim Possible", "Ron Stoppable", how could I get in on this? Thus, Rick Tacular! Then when I started playing City of Heroes, it was a perfect superhero name.

My paladin I've been playing since forever is Jean-Claude Regnier. Before Van Damme there was Regnier. I feel like Michael Bolton from Office Space when everyone said "Jean-Claude", like "Van Damme"?? No. Anyway, JC is a tribute to my French ancestry.

Rhiannon the Red was my wife's very brief mage when she played for one night, but the name survived.

Slique (the rogue) is an invention of my own. I'm very proud.

Sister Lal is a total ripoff of the name from Star Trek of Data's daughter. IIRC, it's Sanscrit for "beloved". It just seemed gentle and nice and what I wanted my cleric to be like.

Maris de Vale is my Ranger. His name invokes a marsh and "de vale" literally means "of the valley". Until I found out Maris was a girl's name. Ah, well.

Finally, my most recent addition to the party in my head is Callum Eirian, my swashbuckler. I just looked up Irish boy's names and these two sounded cool.
  • ricktacularricktacular Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    deohnoeh wrote: »
    My name is supposed to be deohboeh but for some reason it got changed in the forum... When I moved from one city to another my new class mates started calling me Deo (De-O) My real name being Dev (Dave) :| So I changed it to deoh since i was young then boeh. Deohboeh.

David Bowie?
  • llelowyn13llelowyn13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This name I created for a campaign of a Fuzion RPG called the record of lodos war, a typical valiant knight character with sparkling teeth. I reused the name for D&D campaigns with Surixuroth as the evil variant version.

ROLW was an Japanese novel in the 80's. Methinks someone stole the plot to the manga novels and turned them into a campaign.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Record_of_Lodoss_War

EDIT: I never played the Fuzion RPGs, didn't realize they were anime-based. Funny thing is I have a copy of the Bubblegum Crisis RPG book and didn't know it was owned by this company.
    "A True Friend Stabs You in the Front."
    ~Oscar Wilde~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Look at what the Great Weapon Fighter can do, he's so OP!"
    ~Andy Velasquez~
  • klaw10klaw10 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's not my original name but I had a free name change so I looked at my avatar at that time and tried to see what would fit.

129320840-260x260-0-0_lego+lego+creator+4958+monster+dino.jpg
    Sig_zpse9729709.png
  • deohnoehdeohnoeh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    David Bowie?

Hahaha I never thought of that! I will keep it in mind! :D
    I always thought of it to be in a jamaican accent. "Eh Deohboeh wagwan maaan!"
  • xcammixcammi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 98
    edited April 2013
    The name Cami was generated for me in some random name generator. I keep changing it around because a lot of times its variations are taken. So I've been Cami, Cammi, Camme, Cahme, etc... I'm xcammi here because every other variation was supposedly taken -_-.

However, I've fallen madly in love with the random name generation in game, so my character names will be totally different.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
  • liger000xliger000x Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    its an old name as a mecha anime fan it combines two of my favorite series zoids and gundam...Liger-0 and jdg-00x(devil gundam) pretty simple though i have lots of other names and such but this is my second oldest handle.
    19.jpg
  • xcammixcammi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 98
    edited April 2013
    liger000x wrote: »
    its an old name as a mecha anime fan it combines two of my favorite series zoids and gundam...Liger-0 and jdg-00x(devil gundam) pretty simple though i have lots of other names and such but this is my second oldest handle.
    Omgosh I squeed inside when I saw your name. Gundam was one of the first animes I ever watched. Ah, such memories.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
  • techiebikertechiebiker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9
    edited April 2013
    I play a thief not a rogue a thief. Thieves like gems and gold, which are shiny, thus Shimmr Shinyseeker was born into the world of DDO.
  • thaliffthaliff Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I've have essentially three online identities, and host of abandoned or unused ones along the way.

Online in the MMO world, I use Thelodas Nightfall. The name was born in 1979 iirc as a Half-Elf Ranger. Until about 3 years ago, it was my main, my online presence etc. Any game I played, Thelo was some sort of bow/ranged user.

Whenever I played FPS games, I went by Gurkha or Gurkha69thID. Gurkha comes out of my time playing tabletop games, in particular Squad Leader/Advanced Squad Leader. I like the name Gurkha long before I knew what it was. Obviously I am not Nepalese, but a pasty white American of English/Irish descent. The 69thID is in homage to one of my great uncles who was in the 69th Infantry Division during WWII.

About 4 years ago, I'm rolling around in WoW dps'n on Thelo when me and a friend are complaining about a lack of healers. So I decide to roll one, and couldn't decide on a name, so I hit random and after half a dozen tries Thaliff popped up. It rang with me so I clicked accept and ran on my merry way. Thaliff eventually became my main, and I PVP'd and raided as a Holy/Shadow for several years. As I moved from game to game, I alternated between using Thelo and Thaliff. When I joined up with ORD/MOG, Thaliff was the name I used. I soon became an officer, and am now Leading the Neverwinter chapter. So Thaliff it is, and will likely be from here on out. I still roll Thelo whenever I can. I'll be holding him in reserve here till a Ranger class is playable.
    On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.
  • demiurgerealmdemiurgerealm Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I ran across the term "demiurge" while reading about Gnostic philosophy, it means a creative force or minor deity, often controlled by a divine feminine entity (Sophia, or Wisdom). I was just getting into game editors and world building (Unlimited Adventures, HoMM, AoW, Jagged Alliance 2, and eventually NWN) and thought the name was quite appropriate as a handle.
    -Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Realm of the Demiurge Foundry Works

Neverwinter isn't D&D, it is a MMO based on a game that uses D&D terms but isn't really D&D either. NW is fun (for that matter so is 4E), but it isn't D&D, and once you wrap your expectations around that you will be able to enjoy the game for what it offers and not worry about what it does not.
  • mrbuttflakesmrbuttflakes Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    No comment >>
  • zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I will be making up some fresh new names for this game.

Zurkhon is my EQ Dwarf name and have used it for years but am now starting to see it pop up in a few games as Zircon, Zarkon etc so I am retiring it.
    Research on the internet shows me that Zarkon is some character on Voltron so that screwed me.

I used to use Idaliya since EQ for my female Elf but that is showing up more often too. So also retiring that.
    Research on the internet shows me that is a real world name in Russia. How good am I with creating names LOL

So needless to say thanks to the world wide web I need to do more research when I try to make up unique names hehe
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • erideitaerideita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 304
    edited April 2013
    zurkhon wrote: »
    I used to use Idaliya since EQ for my female Elf but that is showing up more often too. So also retiring that.
    Research on the internet shows me that is a real world name in Russia. How good am I with creating names LOL

I lived in Russia for 11 years and this is the first time I've heard that name. If you like it, go on and just use it. Plus I think it sounds beautiful.
  • undeadcrabbundeadcrabb Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It was on a cold, dark night when I met a zombie... and that zombie just happened to be a crab. And it bit me. And I became an undead crab.
    Folow me on Deviant art! ;)
  • franjean82franjean82 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wilcomb's a name I've been using for halfling/hin characters since.. well, since the 90's. I don't remember where I got it, or if I just made it up.
    Rogue.jpg

Player of Wilcomb Goodale
  • bardbarianbardbarian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My viewable name came from goofing off during a D&D sessions years ago. The barbarian in the group joked about going bard for a few levels and bam! Bardbarian was born!
  • richardseatonrichardseaton Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 87
    edited April 2013
    castagyre wrote: »
    I used the name Castellan online for about 10 years, but gave it up in about '99/00 because too many people wanted it.

Castegyre/Castagyre references Sunda Kastagir from The Highlander the way it seems to be pronounced, but when the name is broken down it is more like Cast A Gyre which is a reference to magic users and CC which I like to play.

Is Castellan from a Doctor Who episode?
  • franjean82franjean82 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My forum name (Franjean) comes from the movie Willow. He was one of the brownies. ;)
    Rogue.jpg

Player of Wilcomb Goodale
  • richardseatonrichardseaton Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 87
    edited April 2013
    Richard Seaton is the name of the protagonist in the Skylark series by E. E. (Doc) Smith the father of space opera. The series was started in 1917 and the societal attitudes of the time makes the series hilarious for modern readers. H. G. Well and Jules Verne are modern by comparison. That and the Lensman series are the most entertaining I've read in the past 50 years.

As an interesting aside E. E. Smith is credited with being the inspiration for the operations room on battleships as mentioned here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operations_room
  • ravenrabbitravenrabbit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Well, I have a black rabbit.

Also, my middle names Raven, so it works :)
  • marzipanikmarzipanik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I ate Marzipan one day...and thought I would try to be clever. So I usually go by Marzipanic. Alas, others have discovered this bit of humor also, and when trying to register here, the name was taken. So with a k on the end it is!
    RookBannerFinal_zpsc8b09fb3.png
  • thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    One time, when i was a MgM Studios, we were on a ride called the Tower of Terror, and this little girl looked at her mom, scared out of her mind, and said, "the thunder spanked me".. it was very hard to not laugh, cuz she was pretty frightened, but it stuck with me, and was an awesomely cute moment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Himmelville - Are you easily frightened?
    Click Here

On one side of the mountain, there were bones...
  • thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    savadious wrote: »
    just make sure he is TRUE HALFLING...

No one wants to see an Elvish Mr. Bidnis !

216659_482504095132235_680831548_n.jpg

roflmao!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click Here

edited April 2013
    and please do tell, mrbuttflakes. lol. fill us in on that story.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click Here

• baldergallandbaldergalland Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Balder Galland was the toon I had when I played SWG, and since it stuck.
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm a Rabbi. When I was teaching a history course and was discussing Judea under Roman occupation, a student addressed me as "Rabbinicus Maximus." Occasionally it was elongated with other honorifics, a few times it was "Optimus Magnus Rabbinicus Maximus," but clearly that's far too cumbersome a title so it was usually somewhat shortened... :)
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.