test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Where did you get your name ?

savadioussavadious Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Off Topic
Made my name SAVADIOUS around 1982 ish ... Admins/"sysops" kept telling me that using my real name 'online' was dangerous (yeah.. back in the 1982 'internet'). They said choose a name that identifies something you like....

Remember back in 1982ish 'online' connections were slower than many people could type. I had a 300 baud modem (vic 20) .. and an even slower acoustic coupler (TRS80 model 100)

So at the request of several online admins/SYSOPS my first online name was changed to my favorite computer art program... called TURTLE GRAPHICS ! lolz

turtle1-4.jpg

They recommended just "turtle" but I did not like turtles... (had a nightmare experience riding one at a kids zoo when I was a toddler)

Then I became James Logan (from James Logan jr high in the SF Bay area)...

SYSOPs said... nooo.. thats still not safe...

Then I became LOGAN...

Then everyone thought I was an X-Men Wolverine comics fan (this is still 1982 mind you)

so.. I retired from all online activity and hit the library after school for days... scouring encyclopedias for a good name... I originally wanted a name that was spelled the same way forwards and backwards.... - HEY I WAS 12...

Came up with an old greco-roman combination of deity and a boxing style I really liked...

ZEUS + SAVATE ... = SAVA - DEUS.... and a few days later it became SAVADIOUS....

220px-Savate_movie_cover.jpg

since 1982...

Enjoy...

Amazingly through ALL my pen and paper dungeon sessions in the early 80's at the local library for a buck I went by MERCURY PHOENIX. It never occured to me to use my online name for roleplaying until much... much later... when I started playing DIKU muds at the university.
:P
Post edited by savadious on

Comments

• Options
    llelowyn13llelowyn13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I rolled up my first character in D&D while in the Navy. The DM was chasing us out of a cave with a young Ice Dragon. I figured I'd go out with a bang, so I out of desperation I pantomimed the scenario out for him:
    I leaped onto the back of a teammate's horse, backwards, so I could draw my bow and shoot some arrows at the dragon. Rolled 19 on D20 for the leap and turn. I called a shot at his eyeball while he was snaking his way toward us. Nocked my arrow and rolled a D20.
    I rolled (20), 3 times in a row, for called shot and confirmation. The DM, shocked and excited, claimed I shot my arrow through it's eye and into it's brain, killing the dragon instantly. I think I made 6 levels off that dragon.

Llelowyn Thistledown, Dragon Slayer, was born.
    "A True Friend Stabs You in the Front."
    ~Oscar Wilde~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Look at what the Great Weapon Fighter can do, he's so OP!"
    ~Andy Velasquez~
  • Options
    sadgfhsadgfh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I tried every combination of every screen name I have ever used. They were all taken, so I got pissed and smashed my face into the keyboard.
    Let's pretend like my account name isn't just a random string of characters I got by punching my keyboard.
  • Options
    aendaeronaendaeron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Named after my Istaria player character.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Oooh I'll edit this later but some users have cued me in they know what it means.

Ambidextrous literally translates to two right hands.
    Ambisinister is two left hands.

The basic answer is I figured it would be a funny name choice for an ambidextrous person. ;)
  • Options
    sadgfhsadgfh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Oooh I'll edit this later but some users have cued me in they know what it means.

Ambidextrous literally translates to two right hands.
    Ambisinister is two left hands.

The basic answer is I figured it would be a funny name choice for an ambidextrous person. ;)

Wait...wouldn't that be based on the perspective of the person you are saying it to? If your talking to a left handed person, ambidextrous and ambisinister would be swapped in how that person understands them.
    Let's pretend like my account name isn't just a random string of characters I got by punching my keyboard.
  • Options
    draezendirehanddraezendirehand Member Posts: 93
    edited March 2013
    I usually go with Soulfang. I used my favorite DnD PnP class the Soulknife, and fang seemed far more sinister than knife. It was my first original attempt at creating a character name as opposed to copying a comic character name or using a random generator.
    I have used that name for 90% of my online game characters. That was taken already unfortunately so I used the name of a boss in the Playstation 2's Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance game. For some odd reason I REALLY like the name Draezen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1.jpg
    When life turns it's back on you, sneak attack it for extra damage!
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I usually go with Soulfang. I used my favorite DnD PnP class the Soulknife, and fang seemed far more sinister than knife. It was my first original attempt at creating a character name as opposed to copying a comic character name or using a random generator.
    I have used that name for 90% of my online game characters. That was taken already unfortunately so I used the name of a boss in the Playstation 2's Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance game. For some odd reason I REALLY like the name Draezen.
    I have the odd felling you have watched Sword Art: Online.

Anyway, deathssickle is a screw up of my original one, Deaths Crowbar. I would rather have my old name and have the bears back
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Whaaaat??.... I have no idea what this SAO is... Star Burst Stream FTW!!

... I may have watched the series a couple times.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Whaaaat??.... I have no idea what this SAO is... Star Burst Stream FTW!!

... I may have watched the series a couple times.....

Im a big fan of The Vision of Escaflowne. I really liked SAO though

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Nun yo bidnis
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    llelowyn13llelowyn13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have the odd felling you have watched Sword Art: Online.

http://myfigurecollection.net/item/126835
    http://myfigurecollection.net/item/62326
    http://myfigurecollection.net/item/117920

I have seen quite a few Kirito's already run by me in this game. Where is the love for Asuna??
    ~Oscar Wilde~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Andy Velasquez~
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Lots of love for Asuna. I really felt for her when she was killed at the end of the Aincrad arc, and then that birdcage with her RL fiancee...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Lots of love for Asuna. I really felt for her when she was killed at the end of the Aincrad arc, and then that birdcage with her RL fiancee...
    I know what you mean

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    savadioussavadious Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    trickshaw wrote: »
    Nun yo bidnis

Nice one... is Mr. Bidnis a halfling by chance? Sounds like a great halfling name :p
  • Options
    iazooiazoo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Kragen was taken. Keeno was taken. Pastorius may or may not have been taken, but it's too close to Pistorius so I won't use it anymore. I am also against using numbers before a name, after a name, or in place of letters.

Tried a few other names that sounded neat, Iazoo wasn't taken, so that's what I used.
  • Options
    erideitaerideita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 304
    edited March 2013
    I'm known as Erideita on the PWE boards, however it is not a name I actually use in any of the games I play. It's my usual handle for forums and other communication supports. It comes from an imaginary language used in one of my self-made PnP games I used to play with friends. In said language, "Siana Erideita" meant "illuminating vision", it was also the full name of a cleric-like character I played. I only kept the "vision" part as the whole phrase felt too long, which is sort of hypocritical seeing as another of my usual nicknames is "Aimi So Siiry Alya" which in the same language means "White and Sad Light".

I have seen quite a few Kirito's already run by me in this game. Where is the love for Asuna??
    It's the same in most games I played post-SAO. Many people name their character Kirito because everyone wants to be the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> swordsman, but few if any name theirs Asuna because nobody wants to be the perfect housewife, disregarding the fact that said perfect housewife also happens to be one of the most skillful rapier users in the realm. Asuna was made exceedingly cute, motherly and caring, which overrode any prowess in battle she made display of.
    Well, that's my theory for you. Asuna is a character liked by many (and equally disliked by many, to be fair), but not many will use her name for their toon.
  • Options
    number13deathnumber13death Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hm. Well my forum name (the displayed name I have to use instead of the login name I want to use) is taken from the major arcana of the tarot which represents both an ending and a beginning. My login name is a combination of one of my favorite actors (to give you a hint, he worked with Akira Kurosawa a lot) and my two favorite numbers (one that is both a ending and a beginning, the other both empty and infinite). My character name will most likely be named after my favorite animal (to give a hint, they're the smartest known bird).
  • Options
    zensuulzensuul Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Zen as in "meditative state", and "Aeon <Zen>", one of my favorite bands, and "Suul", the last name of one of my characters.
    "Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power." - Lao Tzu

"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time." - Leo Tolstoy
  • Options
    castagyrecastagyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I used the name Castellan online for about 10 years, but gave it up in about '99/00 because too many people wanted it.

Castegyre/Castagyre references Sunda Kastagir from The Highlander the way it seems to be pronounced, but when the name is broken down it is more like Cast A Gyre which is a reference to magic users and CC which I like to play.
    Remembering Hanlon's Razor can save one a lot on aspirines.
  • Options
    uxigaduruxigadur Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Mine is just an invention for when i was planning PnP games, later became WoW character.
    I created on spanish, but have to admit sounds way better on english phonetics.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    sadgfh wrote: »
    Wait...wouldn't that be based on the perspective of the person you are saying it to? If your talking to a left handed person, ambidextrous and ambisinister would be swapped in how that person understands them.

Well in the ignorance of the old days right hands were right and left hands were wrong. Left handed people were often considered weaker or tainted by the devil and all sorts of other gibberish.
    My grandfather for instance was born a left handed person but is ambidextrous because his parents and private school forced him to use his right hand. *shakes head with dismay*

So in literal terms ambidextrous means two right hands, in other words you are good with both hands.
    Ambisinister means two left hands, in other words you are clumsy with both hands.

I stumbled upon the word and laughed at it. Figured it would be an unknown word and decided to use it as a username. The icing on the cake is that I am ambidextrous as well so I figured it would be a comical irony. ;)
  • Options
    uxigaduruxigadur Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sinister (english) and siniestro (spanish) are words related to evil intentions. In Italian "sinistra" hasn't that meaning. On spanish you would use "zurdo" even when the expression "diestro" (right handed) sounds way closer to "siniestro" (left handed). Oh the language!

Also "Diestro" is used as skilled.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Lack of originality. Mostly due to the fact that I am, indeed, a monkey made out of socks.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    *reserving the name "Bunny the Wonder LLama" for one of my characters*
    ~Oscar Wilde~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Andy Velasquez~
  • Options
    surixurientsurixurient Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This name I created for a campaign of a Fuzion RPG called the record of lodos war, a typical valiant knight character with sparkling teeth. I reused the name for D&D campaigns with Surixuroth as the evil variant version.

Over the years it shortened to surix then in my irc years where every name is expected be 4 letters or something, it shorted to suri. I had too many people assume I was obsessed with Tom Cruise's new daughter (curse him for ruining my nickname!) so I changed it back to the original, Surixurient.
  • Options
    trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    savadious wrote: »
    Nice one... is Mr. Bidnis a halfling by chance? Sounds like a great halfling name :p

I might actually steal that...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jinnixijinnixi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 58
    edited April 2013
    i've gone through alooot of names
    che1z (my nickname in RL),
    jinnixi (stars= galaxy = brain saying jinnixi), stuck with this one because the galaxy is so beautiful
    andrielora (got that from diablo)
    Rhissa ( i have no idea how i came up with this one )

list goes on and on but my recent favourite is
    Araluen its a aboriginal girls name meaning a place of waterlillies
    i thourght that sounded so calm and in RL im a very calm person

funny thing is in a mmo
    if there was a dragon which masicered (bad speller feel fee to correct me) everyone
    and im the only one standing
    there's silence for a moment
    i say " f*** " and freak out
    fs.png
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The names of my NPC are usually derived from very simple things.

Maeve:- Comes from HoMM series. Maeve in that was a hero I liked to play.

Yana:- Was a mage very close to her cat. As recently I had read that cats do Nya instead of Meow, I liked the word. So I named the cat Naya and then reversed the letters(consonants only) to Yana.

Fredija(Freya), Bjorn, Ragnar are some viking names I always take for Viking-ish characters. In this case the Forsworn are kind of viking-ish.

Apart from that, I name PC and NPC as <no name>, the girl, servant girl, etc. a lot.

After all that, I also use this:-
    http://draconic.twilightrealm.com/
    for names of draconic characters. A great place to make scripts if you have kobolds in your campaign.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ... one of my favorite actors (to give you a hint, he worked with Akira Kurosawa a lot) ...

My fav director. Are you talking about the bandit in Rashomon?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    trickshaw wrote: »
    I might actually steal that...

just make sure he is TRUE HALFLING...

No one wants to see an Elvish Mr. Bidnis !

216659_482504095132235_680831548_n.jpg