test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Blue Screen Issue - WORKAROUND FOUND

heyrogersheyrogers Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 180 Cryptic Developer
edited August 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
WORKAROUND SOLUTION

From serverguy:
We have identified the problem. A fix is in the works, but it cannot be sent out to you without a patch. I cannot say when that will be.

However, there might be a way to solve this in the short term. It could take a few tries, though. Here are the first things to try:
1. Browse to the install directory of Neverwinter.
2. Browse into \Live\Localdata
3. Open Gameprefs.Pref in Notepad or some other text editor.
4. Find the following settings and change them if necessary:
4.1. PrefEntry GfxSettings.Antialiasing 0
4.2. PrefEntry GfxSettings.LastRecordedPerf
4.3. PrefEntry GfxSettings.LastRecordedMSAAPerf 1.00188
4.4. PrefEntry GfxSettings.LastRecordedPerf 3500.00

This is slightly risky. However, if you make things worse with that change, you can always delete the Gameprefs.Pref file. A new one with default settings will be generated the next time you run the game.

I am looking for some volunteers to help troubleshoot the "Blue Screen" issue that some people are experiencing. If you are experiencing this issue, please help us out by doing the following:

1) Reproduce the blue screen issue, and leave your game running.

2) Alt-tab from the game, while it is still running, and navigate to your installation directory. By default, this is C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios or C:\Program Files\Cryptic Studios depending on your operating system.

3) Run the CrypticError program.

4) Select GameClient.exe from the list of running applications.
t3G3zhp.png

5) Send us your report.
fyYCuhL.png

6) Please reply in this thread with your Error Ticket ID.
Rj4Ewz7.png
As an example, for the above, you would reply with "14593375"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• witchysparkle12witchysparkle12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Here you go,

Error ticket: 14593375
  • prednagaprednaga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    it wont scan my game for the cryptic error is blank after alt+tabing so idk :P any advice?
  • serverguyserverguy Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developers Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't quite understand. Are you unable to find the CrypticError.exe program, or is CrypticError not displaying GameClient.exe in its list?
  • prednagaprednaga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    its not dispaying the GameCLient.exe in the list, sorry for not specifying my bad
  • serverguyserverguy Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developers Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Is GameClient.exe still running? You would be able to see it in the Task Manager.
    edited February 2013
    alright my bad forgot to select compatiablity and run as admin so i feel pretty silly at the moemnt its scanning right now and ill post once its done
  • darkhawk978darkhawk978 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 97
    edited February 2013
    A blue screen appears but I still play; should I submit a ticket?

Lets break this down (if I remember correctly after 2 launches).

Step 1: Launch Neverwinter.exe
    Step 2: Log in
    Step 3: Patches Update if any
    Step 4: Hit play
    Step 5: Cryptic Appears and Loading Appears
    Step 6: Blue Screen for a few seconds
    Step 7: NeverWinter logo appears and says loading (again?)
    Step 8: Log into Account for Character Select Screen
    Step 9: Select character, hit play
    Step 10: Loads Up

Did you see Step 6?

But I'm able to play no problem
    edited February 2013
    ok here is mine 18007723 hope this help yall figures it out, im sorry if i caused any problems
    edited February 2013
    We have identified the problem. A fix is in the works, but it cannot be sent out to you without a patch. I cannot say when that will be.

However, there might be a way to solve this in the short term. It could take a few tries, though. Here are the first things to try:
    4.2. PrefEntry GfxSettings.LastRecordedMSAAPerf 1.00188
    4.3. PrefEntry GfxSettings.LastRecordedPerf 3500.00

This is slightly risky. However, if you make things worse with that change, you can always delete the Gameprefs.Pref file. A new one with default settings will be generated the next time you run the game.
    edited February 2013
    ty but ill wait for the patch, gives me some time to play witcher 2 while i wait XD thank yall for finding out the problem and jumping on it, i know yall have alot on yalls plate
    edited February 2013
    To be clear... we do not know if we will patch at all during this weekend's beta.
  • adarezadarez Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hey serverguy we paid 200 for a guaranteed beta what are you going to do about that? Are we going to get a partial refund sounds like false advertising to me. You better patch this weekend or I see alot of phone calls for refunds. First time mmo has epic failed before launch.
    edited February 2013
    adarez- I just handle the shards, network, patch system, Internet uplinks, data center, and office kitty-cat daycare. I am not useful when it comes to refund requests.
  • solidagesolidage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 31
    edited February 2013
    serverguy wrote: »

Pics of the Kitty-cat daycare or it didn't happen.
  • adarezadarez Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well if you handle the patch system why don't you shut down the servers for a patch. You claim you have a fix then fix it. Sounds like you don't have a clue whats wrong and are blowing smoke.
  • bedwyerbedwyer Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited February 2013

this is my graphics set up:
    Prefentry SystemSpecs.Videocarddeviceid 11810

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Videocardname "Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset"

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Videocardvendorid 32902

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Videodriverstate 0

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Videodriverversion 8.15.10.2202

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Videomemory 2816
    do I need to change a setting or buy a new card?
    Silverhand
    edited February 2013
    The guy has alot of job titles but doesn't seem to have the knowledge or ability to perform any.
  • solidagesolidage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 31
    edited February 2013
    adarez wrote: »
    The guy has alot of job titles but doesn't seem to have the knowledge or ability to perform any.

First off, "alot" is two words.
    Second, you're trying to run the game with a graphics card that DOES NOT MEET THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS. You have nobody to blame and rage at but yourself for buying a $200 founder's pack when you can't even purchase a $125 graphics card to run the game and meet the required specs.
    edited February 2013
    bedwyer wrote: »
    this is my graphics set up:
    Prefentry SystemSpecs.Videocarddeviceid 11810

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Videocardname "Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset"

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Videocardvendorid 32902

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Videodriverstate 0

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Videodriverversion 8.15.10.2202

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Videomemory 2816
    do I need to change a setting or buy a new card?

If you are experiencing the blue screen issue, try out the settings I posted. Frankly, I haven't seen anyone try them so I am not sure they will make a difference. However, our programmers believe it will. If you are not experiencing the blue screen, then I wouldn't worry about it. To be clear, the min specs for Neverwinter include an ATI or Nvidia graphics card with 128MB of Video Memory.

You can find the minimum and recommended specs here: http://nw.perfectworld.com/about/faq
  • bedwyerbedwyer Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited February 2013

dump code
    Silverhand
    edited February 2013
    We do not need any more dumps via CrypticError. The programmers have fixed the bug.

Thanks! Your assistance was key to our ability to fix it.
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    We do not need any more dumps via CrypticError. The programmers have fixed the bug.

Thanks! They helped us figure out the issue.

So if it is fixed, does that mean yall patched or do we still need to use the code you gave us?
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    So if it is fixed, does that mean yall patched or do we still need to use the code you gave us?

We have not patched the fix yet. If you are experiencing this blue screen issue, please try to apply the settings changes I posted.
  • lervoldlervold Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ticket # 14593375

Also the blue screen workaround did not get me into the game. I appreciate you trying to help us work through this, I'm sure this is frustrating for you too. I work as a system administrator and network technician for the military, a lot of people who don't know what they're talking about have no problem telling you what your job is. I know my graphics card is not an ATI nor is it Nvidia I'm just hoping to find a work around so I can play while I'm in the middle east, before I get home. If the programmers can patch this i'm going to keep trying workarounds, but I am so grateful for your help.

Any other ideas serverguy?
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ok Thanks Serverguy Ill post if it works. Ill prolly go to bed though and test upon awakening from my slumber
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    lervold wrote: »
    Ticket # 14593375

Also the blue screen workaround did not get me into the game.

Do you mean that the blue screen continued to happen? Or is there something else that failed.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    14593375 is my cryptic error program number and the workaround did not get me into the game. No additional errors still the same blue screen.
    edited February 2013
    charononus wrote: »
    14593375 is my cryptic error program number and the workaround did not get me into the game. No additional errors still the same blue screen.

There have been a couple of things in this thread that should probably be put all together. Can you verify that you have tried them?

1. First and foremost... if you are running a laptop that has dual video cards, be sure that you force the setting to use the Nvidia Discreet Graphics card while in 3D environments.
    2. Attempt to run Neverwinter in safe mode. To do this, open the normal launcher/patcher. Click Options (on the top right) and check the "Safe mode" option.
    3. If all of that fails, I think I'd like to see the contents of your Gameprefs.prefs file. That is located in the [install directory]\Live\Localdata folder.
    edited February 2013
    solidage wrote: »
    First off, "alot" is two words.
    Second, you're trying to run the game with a graphics card that DOES NOT MEET THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS. You have nobody to blame and rage at but yourself for buying a $200 founder's pack when you can't even purchase a $125 graphics card to run the game and meet the required specs.

How do you know my specs? I don't recall posting them. My $6000 pc will squish yours ten times out of ten.
    edited February 2013
    adarez wrote: »
    How do you know my specs? I don't recall posting them. My $6000 pc will squish yours ten times out of ten.

All of the people who ran into this problem were running Intel Graphics video cards.