test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[UGC] "The Dweomerkeepers" Campaign - Feedback

Comments

• blizzidblizzid Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 170 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    its funny, your 3 acts were actually my favorite in the game, the most DnD type imo, even better then most of the dev ones, will definetally be following your future quests :)
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    blizzid wrote: »
    its funny, your 3 acts were actually my favorite in the game, the most DnD type imo, even better then most of the dev ones, will definetally be following your future quests :)
    Thank you! :)

I'd like to take this opportunity, before I get any deeper into the campaign, to see if anyone has any specific requests on types of content they would like to see happen or types of encounters. The next couple quest lines leave the area for a lot of variance in types of content and things that could be encountered and while I have a plan laid out on what I want to put in, I also would love to be able to add things that people may want to experience. Be as broad or precise as ya want. I'll take almost anything into consideration! If not for this Campaign, then maybe for future ones. I already have some ideas tossing around for other Campaigns that aren't related to Mystra at all.
  • andysdead1andysdead1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    Indeed! In every map in the Dweomerkeepers Campaign, real close to the beginning where you start each map, should be located either an alcove, building, or room where there is a some sort of Harper marking (scroll, pedestal, book) that you must first read in order to be able to access the "Abandon Crystals" that I use for the emergency "Abort Mission" items that we have to place in our maps. I have it set up this way so players must actually read a DM dialog of what will happen if they use it, for it was far too easy to accidentally use them and leave the mission.

If you do leave any foundry mission prematurely, you will need to go into your journal and abandon it and then pick it back up from the Foundry menu in order to start it again. It is like this for all UGC.

To be clear, one can only use the abort item before completing all the mission objectives in the dungeon. Once the mission objectives are complete, the item becomes unusable. Furthermore, the issue that I had with exiting the cave occurred after completing the mission objectives, so I was literally unable to leave the zone. I ended up logging off and playing other characters and I suppose my character got automatically teleported to the nearest city or something.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    andysdead1 wrote: »
    To be clear, one can only use the abort item before completing all the mission objectives in the dungeon. Once the mission objectives are complete, the item becomes unusable. Furthermore, the issue that I had with exiting the cave occurred after completing the mission objectives, so I was literally unable to leave the zone. I ended up logging off and playing other characters and I suppose my character got automatically teleported to the nearest city or something.
    Very odd! Just to make sure, when you got done fighting the ogre, on your way back out of the cave, did you come across a shadowy figure? If so, did you have dialog with them and then after the dialog did the three figures attack you, followed by another set of dialog? It is after talking to the shadowy figure for the 2nd time when the abort exit should have become unreachable (making the portcullis fall and become unusable) which then should have made it so the actual exit would work. Which, on first use, should have first slid the boulder away and then allow you to press F to exit.
  • drzemusdrzemus Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hi,

I just wanted to post to say I played the first 3 parts of your campaign yesterday afternoon and had a great time. It is content like this that is going to make Neverwinter popular! You have a talent for writing and I look forward to following your campaigns at release!

Only Issue I had were the bugs in the Floor of the Cave in Part 2, but that has been discussed. You are doing a great job, keep it up!
    -Zemus
  • doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Zebular ~ Thank you for all your hard work on these quests. I ran them at level 16-17 and they were not only fun but instructive. I learned a lot about the Foundry's potential. For example, dialog options with NPCs based on actions you had taken earlier in th dungeon, and action choices based on your skills.

All my problems in the dungeons are issues you have already addressed here, so I won't belabor the point. I'm eager to get working with the Foundry for my own guild and the player base at large, so don't be surprised if I send some questions your way, when authoring is enabled.

Thanks again,
    Doc
  • zaphtasticzaphtastic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, good stuff. I like the attention to detail and the dialogue design is especially interesting. I actually have a question - in the first mission, did you place the (collectible for a bounty) Selune's Tears flowers next to the statue, or do those come with the map?

On a more selfish note, I'm really eager to get cracking on my own Foundry missions, so being aware of the things you can do (as well as potential limitations of the toolset) is great. These quests are a nice showcase, so thanks again!
  • procruatorprocruator Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Played through the first three missions. Thanks for mentioning the campfire issue, I was wondering about that. Enjoyed the LORE mission and the writing you put into it, was a strong point.

One thing I noticed in the second mission, the quest trail would disappear in parts of the cave do to the elevation change (ever so slighly) and would reappear later as the ground dropped off into an adjacent cave. I'm sure that is a know issue? (and out of your control I'm guessing)

Thanks, apprecated the foundry content to explore during beta.

Lowly_Scribe
    edited February 2013
    Thanks everyone! Glad you're all enjoying them! :)

Unfortunately, I cannot discuss what exactly is place-able and what is not until the Foundry Editing makes it to the Beta and it's NDA is too lifted. I will just re-iterate what has been said and that is foundry editors have A LOT of stuff they can do. :D

Yeah, the golden trail pathing is a game bug issue that affects the whole game. :(

Be sure to bug report that as a general bug report about the Golden Trail doing wacky things!
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I really enjoyed the campaign. I thought the traps were well done and the boss fight were fun. Only thing I would say is that the quests seemed a little on the short side. Overall all I thought it was better done than the official quests when it came to lore, traps and story. I think maybe it could use more baddies in those surprise ambushes though.

Looking forward to more of this storyline, almost seem to me you could make several campaigns in this storyline. Good work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
    edited February 2013
    pilf3r wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the campaign. I thought the traps were well done and the boss fight were fun. Only thing I would say is that the quests seemed a little on the short side. Overall all I thought it was better done than the official quests when it came to lore, traps and story. I think maybe it could use more baddies in those surprise ambushes though.

Looking forward to more of this storyline, almost seem to me you could make several campaigns in this storyline. Good work.
    Thank you! I am glad you enjoyed them! :)

Re: More baddies in ambushes. Do you think maybe a wave or two would make it more interesting? Say like when you kill one group, another pops out and attacks? I didn't want to overwhelm players as that is meant as in intro, but I do like the notion! Were you talking about the first quest in particular or all of them in general?
    edited February 2013
    Thank you!

Re: more baddies in ambushes. Do you think maybe a wave or two would make it more interesting? Say like when you kill one group, another pops out and attacks? I didn't want to overwhelm players as that is meant as in intro, but I do like the notion!

Yeah that would work just seems to me it would make it more exciting especially in the setting of this quest line. Like poof ambush and then after first wave you think it's over but poof another wave attacks hmm could even make several waves with a boss type in the last wave.

Just thought I should mention this quest line made me feel more "epic" or like I was actually doing something worthwhile compared to most of the official quest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    pilf3r wrote: »
    Yeah that would work just seems to me it would make it more exciting especially in the setting of this quest line. Like poof ambush and then after first wave you think it's over but poof another wave attacks hmm could even make several waves with a boss type in the last wave.

Just thought I should mention this quest line made me feel more "epic" or like I was actually doing something worthwhile compared to most of the official quest.
    Great! Thank you for the feedback! I'll see what I can do to keep the epic feel and make the spawned fights more interesting and "on your toes." :)
  • voodoopapavoodoopapa Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This was the first and only foundry missions i did. I absolutely loved it, im very partial to any sort of drow adventures and it was DMd very well. I was surprised at the depth of the plot, and the writing overall. I felt very engaged and immersed, very much looking forward to further adventures :-)

One thing i should mention. The server lost connection while i was heading to the south gate to go to neverwinter woods during the mission. When i logged back in, the fairy trail got confused and was leading me to a random inactive door instead of the gate. I just went to the gate, and the rest of the mission progressed fine
  • falcordragonfalcordragon Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I LOVE These quests, one problem I'm at the stage on the third quest where it says, exit the city through the south gate and travel to the neverwinter wood... but no matter what gate I lead from there's no neverwinter wood mark... which makes it impossible to progress... unless you know a trick I'm going to have to abandon and re-take the quest hoping that it's fixed :)
  • falcordragonfalcordragon Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hmm abandoning, and re-accepting fixed it, this time it took me right to the zone not the map, which I'm guessing was what was intended?
  • ragnarlawlragnarlawl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I enjoyed it. The Temple had some problems where if you go talk to a certain boss the gates close behind you. If a team-mate is behind them they cant get in. You cant move forward, either. There is no post-battle release switch anywhere either. :(

http://www.twitch.tv/ragnar21583/b/365704549 @ 7:28 and onward.
    [TMG] Ragnaruss www.topmarksgaming.org
  • mastrshadowmastrshadow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yes, I agree that the traps in the 3rd mission can be a bit obtrusive. They were supposed to be disarm-able but I am hearing reports that some of them are not able to be reached.

It's not just your map Zebular, it's every foundry mission with traps. I ran through all of them that I could complete after hitting 30 and there wasn't a single trap that functioned the same as in a Cryptic map. Some being completely invisible even when they were slicing my leg off...
    edited February 2013
    It's not just your map Zebular, it's every foundry mission with traps. I ran through all of them that I could complete after hitting 30 and there wasn't a single trap that functioned the same as in a Cryptic map. Some being completely invisible even when they were slicing my leg off...

I noticed if you just ran through like in official quests you found traps by running over them BUT if you went more slowly they would pop up just before you hit them. I actually liked this, it made it more fun for my rogue and forced my cleric wife to stop zerging ahead lol.

There was one trap in the cave that was problematic at targeting but was still doable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    shiaika wrote: »
    Frak. Delete this.

I got your PM, thanks for the feedback! Glad you enjoyed them!
    voodoopapa wrote: »
    This was the first and only foundry missions i did. I absolutely loved it, im very partial to any sort of drow adventures and it was DMd very well. I was surprised at the depth of the plot, and the writing overall. I felt very engaged and immersed, very much looking forward to further adventures :-)

One thing i should mention. The server lost connection while i was heading to the south gate to go to neverwinter woods during the mission. When i logged back in, the fairy trail got confused and was leading me to a random inactive door instead of the gate. I just went to the gate, and the rest of the mission progressed fine

Sometimes when relogging or accepting quests, or even just moving around - if you don't have the waypath set manually, the game will automatically lead you to your closest quest objective. It sounds like this is what was happening. When going to the south gate, it should have said something like "Press F to travel for a day to the Neverwinter Wood" or something like that and then automatically take you to the map with no map transfer selection. This last bit is intended.

I am glad you enjoyed them, thanks!

I LOVE These quests, one problem I'm at the stage on the third quest where it says, exit the city through the south gate and travel to the neverwinter wood... but no matter what gate I lead from there's no neverwinter wood mark... which makes it impossible to progress... unless you know a trick I'm going to have to abandon and re-take the quest hoping that it's fixed :)
    Hmm abandoning, and re-accepting fixed it, this time it took me right to the zone not the map, which I'm guessing was what was intended?
    I am sorry! See above. The south gate is the south gate on the map, the one near the Coster Market.I am glad you were able to get it working however. Thanks!
    ragnarlawl wrote: »
    I enjoyed it. The Temple had some problems where if you go talk to a certain boss the gates close behind you. If a team-mate is behind them they cant get in. You cant move forward, either. There is no post-battle release switch anywhere either. :(

http://www.twitch.tv/ragnar21583/b/365704549 @ 7:28 and onward.

I am so sorry, this is a known issue. I think what I will do is put in a notice about "gathering your party before venturing forth" and then I will also add a way to re-open those gates from the inside, even if the battle has begun. I did not intend for this to seperate a party, but was meant to give a feeling of "no going back." Now that I see this happening in action, I have an idea of what I want to do to solve this. As well, it reminds me that there is another part in the first temple map that also cuts off going back and may as well block a party. Hopefully I'll have fixed and other stuff in place so this isn't an issue by the next weekend!

Thanks for playing and again, I am sorry for this!

That is good to know. I'll still give the traps in that mission another pass and make sure they are indeed disarmable, making sure that if they aren't, it is a game bug.

Once again, thanks everyone for the feedback, tips and suggestions! I am glad so many are enjoying these and that the number of issues aren't out-weighting the enjoyment. I'll do what I can to minimize the issues uncovered by the next playtest! :)
  • chaddiwickerchaddiwicker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ran this today. Best of the foundry campaigns that I've done so far (which is 6 or 7 of them). The 3rd quest was my favorite.

Couple of ideas/thoughts:

1. I think this is a limit of the foundry, but the shrubs in the first quest look like cabbages. :eek: Quite sure you don't have any control over that, but I felt like I was in cabbage patch land or something. ;)
    2. For me, the cave in the second quest felt like it was out of place. Again, this may be a limit of the foundry. Don't know if you can create mountains and I'm sure travel time was a concern. I liked the surprise attacks.
    3. Act III had the best overall environment of the campaign thus far and best of the the three quests, hands down. My only issue was that the lights went out when fighting the "queen". Didn't cause any major problems, but was a distraction.
    4. The last two quests, in particular, felt like "islands". What I mean by that is that there was a section of high grass or woods, surrounded by a sea of flat grass. This is likely a foundry issue, but it throws me out of "immersion" a bit. Not sure you can do anything about it and it's a minor detail really.
    5. When I fought the ogre in quest two, he didn't move so I was able to pew, pew him with my cleric and was no real challenge. May have been a one-off but wanted to mention it in case it could be exploited.

Overall, your storytelling and lore skills are amazing. I will be subscribing to your creations. Thank you for your work (both on foundry quests and as a mod). I look forward to seeing more. :)
  • unjustbladeunjustblade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 91
    edited February 2013
    I enjoyed the quests over all but thought they could have been more difficult. I do not know if you can increase the levels of enemies, or perhaps make more of them. Another thing that would make it great is if you DIDN'T TELL THE PLAYER THEY WERE BEING AMBUSHED! Have the drow teleport in from behind. Drow are all about stealth. Leave it up to a player's actual situational awareness. Drow might hold the surface races in low regard, but they aren't stupid and will use any advantage they can gain.

In the third quest, the fight after you go through the portal felt forced. Not sure how drow managed to pick pocket me when I was traveling through a portal. Just have them guarding the front instead of "We somehow snagged your key when you were traveling between planes to get here!". I know the drow are sneaky, but come on!

The traps in the third quest did extremely low damage and I wondered why they were put there. They were not a threat. At all. Also, there seems to be some problems with enemy AI as there were times when they just wouldn't move towards me.

Other than that, your story telling was good and your lore was excellent.
  • mordrindmordrind Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I had some issues in the last mission (which i enjoyed) when I tried to play through with a friend. When we went into the temple I went through first and was able to proceed as normal. When he went through the door he was behind the white letter wall and was not able to ever move forward. This pretty much ended the adventure for him.

Also how do you scale content for multiple people? Is there a way to spawn creatures above the players level?
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Scaling based on additional players is automatic and beyond author's control. It's to stop the green dragon at a kobold level or any weighting for fast XP thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cynder78cynder78 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ACT II. I got stuck in the ground when spawning into the cave. otherwise no obvious bugs.
    Yorn
    -={Old Timers Guild}=-
  • bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hey Zebular,

I was watching MMORPG play through your campaign the second quest "On The High Road" does seem rather flat and featureless. I was thinking this is on a coast could you do something the California coast line escarpment like or something like the East Road in Lord of The Rings? Looking forward to checking it out next time around.

Edit: Also shouldn't the walls be a bit taller for being around Neverwinter?
  • jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    cynder78 wrote: »
    ACT II. I got stuck in the ground when spawning into the cave. otherwise no obvious bugs.

me too, along with my Npc companion.
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
  • bjwylerbjwyler Member Posts: 86
    edited February 2013
    I did the first one, and found it quite enjoyable. As a note, it looks that the I-walls were fine around the wooded area - I am an explorer, so always want to map clear as much as possible. I scraped the I-walls and didn't encounter any issue.

I did notice however that the crystal in the Inn was not blocked until after I had finished the questing in there, but as I had read the info for the one at the start of the trail in the woods, I knew not to touch it.
    "The ability to LeetSpeak does not make one intelligent."
    "Ask a stupid question and the Morons will answer."
    "The True measure of a gamer is the ability to ignore epeen and just enjoy a game"
    -- Hanok Odbrook
  • buffandbean2buffandbean2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Just wanted to say "Great job".I played through all three and was more excited about your story then a lot of the default quests.The foundry is definitely a wonderful addition to this game.Looking forward to your future creations.
  • gemstrikegemstrike Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, unfortunately this version is an older version that is calling for a lighting setting that no longer exists, so a few of the maps in the campaign have some very odd lighting choices that are not meant to be that way. Thanks for the feedback and playing! :)

Ah, then you can ignore the reviews I left that talked about certain areas being pitch black and hard to see in. Beyond that I had a fun time going through the three quests. Like others have said I found the outside area in the second quest to be really kind of jarring in terms of how empty it was. Wasn't to hard for a level 20 cleric, though I can see my rogue having a harder time with it.

Foundry Author! Check out @gemstrike to see my quests :)
    Want to make your own? Then watch my videos.
    New Videos
    Old Videos
This discussion has been closed.