test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Oceanic Server

13»

Comments

• eizreheizreh Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll start paying for this game if they ever give us an oceanic server.

Please let me give you money.
  • crimsonredwingcrimsonredwing Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If there are character transfers than yes.
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It won't happen, sorry.

Cryptic has always been about one location for their server. And I don't see them expanding to anywhere else on the planet anytime soon.
  • bolteusbolteus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This would be a great Idea. I know on Dragon alone there is an Aussie based guild with 500+ people in it. That's just one guild out of many, and I know there are more dedicated Aussie guilds on that server.

As someone else mentioned I wouldn't mind paying an extra $5 a month to PW to get a server with less latency. Currently sitting on 350ms at all times.
  • kumikokumiko Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oceanic server isn't going to happen, unofficial oceanic server is fine though.. as how Dragon is right now.
    Ritsuko@Eggsukoo, Dragon Server
    Hardcore PvX Progression - http://www.synapse-guild.com/
  • bolteusbolteus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't see how a unified server is 'fine' for people who can't play with less than 300 ping. I tried to do a dungeon last night and the lag was almost as bad as it is in Protector's Enclave.
  • eizreheizreh Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bolteus wrote: »
    I don't see how a unified server is 'fine' for people who can't play with less than 300 ping. I tried to do a dungeon last night and the lag was almost as bad as it is in Protector's Enclave.

This. One of the reasons why SEA and Australia never get local servers is because people keep saying "It's fine" when it really isn't. Pings above 300 make great MMOs like this unplayable.
  • acylionacylion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited May 2013
    tehpew wrote: »
    Players in Singapore also reported that their ping on the Oceanic servers was not much better than the US West Coast servers.

tehpew said something that's being ignored in this thread. Australian servers will help Australian players. Maybe players in New Zealand. They will not help players in Singapore, Malaysia, and other Asian countries.

I'm in Singapore. Due to the way Internet traffic is routed, I have less ping and latency connecting to the United States than I do to Australia. On a bad day, we're talking 200-250 ping to the US...but 300+ going to Australia.

And of course...it works the other way. If they put a regional server in Asia, do you think that'll be good for the Australians?
  • acidpissacidpiss Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    is there any benifit joining one of the three servers at this point of time if your living in EU?, im on the Beholder Shard atm and i see foreign text all the time......
  • originallycynoriginallycyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I love how people keep mentioning SW:TOR as their example of the greatness of Australian servers. Do these same people not read forums? Don't they know of the excessively long thread and campaign by some within the AUS community that campaigned to get those same oceanic servers closed? Claiming they didn't want Aus-servers, they merely want Aus-dedicated/tagged servers. Guess what? Bioware came out and said they will be merging the oceanic players to another server and closing these servers down. No ETA yet, but it'll happen. Even the announcement has put all of my friends off going back and revisiting the game. So yes, the 30-50ms ping is great, but the community kills itself.

Also, NBN will help lower ping, from Melbourne, I get about 80MS to Sydney. The NBN will certainly lower that aspect of my ping making the overall latency drop.

TL; DR Aus servers, bad idea.
  • tyestortyestor Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    TL; DR Aus servers, bad idea.

lol. its because of defeatist idiots like you that we get treated as second class customers in the first place.
    Tyestor - Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer
  • acylionacylion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited May 2013
    tyestor wrote: »
    lol. its because of defeatist idiots like you that we get treated as second class customers in the first place.

To be fair, since Cryptic uses a single server system for all its games, everyone is treated as a second-class citizen unless you happen to be in the US. Champions Online and Star Trek Online are run off the same server location. This company has never done overseas servers at all. City of Heroes had European servers, but the servers for CoH were managed by NCsoft and not Cryptic themselves.

That's why this is mostly wishful thinking. Cryptic themselves are unlikely to go to a regional server model. Remember, they plan on merging our three current servers back into a single one.

Perfect World might be interested in regional servers here...maybe. As they're the parent company, maybe they can call the shots on that. But I think it's unlikely to happen. They see Neverwinter and the Cryptic games as their vehicle to reach the European and American market, because they're already big in Asia.
  • originallycynoriginallycyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tyestor wrote: »

Well, we could get into an involved discussion about Australian expectations and customer service requirements, but that would really be derailing the thread. But since you only quoted my tldr, I can only guess you didn't actually read the entire post.

Australian servers are a bad idea because of other Australians who don't enjoy the low population these servers usually entail. Maybe not at launch, but 6 months to a year down the track when all populations naturally decline, these people come out of the woodwork complaining about lack of people to play with, lack of people playing at off-peak hours. You name it they'll complain. I argued against those who wanted to close the TOR oceanic servers. I enjoy the nice latency, and being able to pvp without the horrible disadvantage. Didn't make a bit of difference, and they'll be closing. I don't consider myself a defeatist, merely someone with a realistic view of the situation.
  • mrlavianomrlaviano Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If the future of mmo's are going to be all "No auto-locking" and dodge orientated combat. And there are no oceanic servers.
    Then we're plainly ****ed.

I am very doubtful there will be oceanic servers, and i am very disappointed with that. Neverwinter has to be the mmo of my dreams.
    I've been playing as a cleric and i don't see the point of dodging anymore if i get hit anyway. The game has just become a death sentence for my characters.
  • skienoskieno Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No rubber banding, and actually being able to block things without just holding shift 24/7 would be great.

When I started playing I thought the combat was amazing, until I attempted to block/dodge and charge.
    I still plan to play until I get sick of the zen shop or I rage from the delay. I'm not even going to attempt PVP.

I support having an Aus server, and hopefully they fix the routing issues for the rest of oceanic.
    I would be playing HoN if DotA2 didn't get Aus servers.
  • fleeb0fleeb0 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    /netgraph 1 do that where I live in Australia an im sitting around 400-600 ping impossible to play. awesome game would spend the money but not worth it for that lag. paying for lag ill pass
  • wolfofanarchywolfofanarchy Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The current ping on all servers for me is 350-500 all the time. It's fine when I'm in dungeons but running through town is a complete nightmare. I've played many games on American servers with a ping of 200~ and it is fine I hardly lagg take LoL for instance I get no delay/lagg on NA servers it's fine. I don't think we need an Oceanic server it would be nice but i think we just need a good server that gives oceanic areas around 200 ping and then no one will complain :D
  • jomoroon123jomoroon123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Arnt they consolidating all shards into one eventually?
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm from South East Asia, and my experience has been that ping to servers located in AUS are terrible compared to US servers. So personally, I'm in favour of just one single server that everyone in the world connects to.

Oceanic server doesn't mean located in Aus. E.g.many SEA MMOs has their server located in Singapore, and so does Path of Exile, even though the company is based in NZ.
This discussion has been closed.