test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Oceanic Server

ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
Poll to see if there would be enough players to warrant an oceanic server. None intended for release, but once game builds momentum, based on popularity (please use for future reference).

Please only vote if you are an oceanic/asia based player

Thanks Gill
Post edited by ryvvik on

Comments

• vertualolvertualol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Oceanic servers tend to do more harm than good from what I have seen in the past.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • soapylandsoapyland Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My understanding is that everyone would be on the same sever, I could be wrong, but that being the case there would be no need for an Oceanic server unless you are worried about in game events.
  • furianknightfurianknight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    vertualol wrote: »
    Oceanic servers tend to do more harm than good from what I have seen in the past.

What a crock of rubish, how you can say oceanic servers do harm is beyond me
  • vertualolvertualol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What a crock of rubish, how you can say oceanic servers do harm is beyond me
    Ok well, lets just say a game starts and there is no oceanic server. All the Aussies chat on the forums and decide on an "unofficial" Aussie server, they all roll there and everyone is happy. Petitions continue for months and eventually a server has a little "Oceanic" added to it and we end up with an incredibly low pop "Oceanic" server and spread oceanic players who are all unhappy.

Edit: Apparently you meant oceanic server as in, physical server located in an oceanic area. That is usually too expensive and also runs into the above problem.
    Btw, I too am an oceanic player and would love low ping, it just doesn't tend to happen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    SWTOR from my perspective was welcome in my book, low ping ect, except maintenance was always done on an american thursday which was our friday (at the time of playing).
    soapyland wrote: »
    My understanding is that everyone would be on the same sever, I could be wrong, but that being the case there would be no need for an Oceanic server unless you are worried about in game events.
    yeah in game events/maintanance.

More Reasonable Event Schedule
    These new servers are located in the UTC/GMT +2 hours time zone, meaning that they are 9 hours ahead of our West Coast Servers and 6 hours ahead of our East Coast Servers. This should make huge difference for our international community, and we're really happy to finally be able to bring this convenience to you.

Edit: Apparently you meant oceanic server as in, physical server located in an oceanic area. That is usually too expensive and also runs into the above problem.
    Btw, I too am an oceanic player and would love low ping, it just doesn't tend to happen.

Oceanic doesnt just serve, Australians
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would like to play with Aussie friends!!! QQ
  • serowforsakenserowforsaken Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm from South East Asia, and my experience has been that ping to servers located in AUS are terrible compared to US servers. So personally, I'm in favour of just one single server that everyone in the world connects to.
    60 Hunter Ranger
    The rest still up-and-coming!
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I'm from South East Asia, and my experience has been that ping to servers located in AUS are terrible compared to US servers. So personally, I'm in favour of just one single server that everyone in the world connects to.
    I believe Europe will have there own server based on an info post i submitted long ago and http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=280931&cpage=4, and until the NBN network rolls out that the ping to Oz (this year-me in a few months yippee no more adsl), was possibly crapola!
  • muntaamuntaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 49
    edited February 2013
    Yes plz!! loved the low ping on the TOR oceanic servers
  • mothdrumsmothdrums Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Champions online can be unplayable at times due to ping and rubber banding. I'm hoping NW server will be more stable but a oceanic server based in the oceanic region (non of this pretend server like wow) would be awesome!
    enginsizesig2_zps97620aec.jpg
  • dragonbane1977dragonbane1977 Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Even if there is no Oceanic Server, if you are looking to play with other Aussies, please join us here:

www.heroesofneverwinter.enjin.com

Look forward to seeing you in the game!

The Jade Knight
    Knight Commander - Heroes of Neverwinter
  • tronc8463tronc8463 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ryvvik wrote: »
    I believe Europe will have there own server based on a post i submitted long ago, and until the NBN network rolls out that the ping to Oz (this year-me in a few months yippee no more adsl), was possibly crapola!

Local servers are nice. Two things though.

1.) There is only one game server. The server is than divided into shards. You might know them as instances like in SWTOR, example Republic Fleet (1), Republic Fleet (2), and so on. This happens when there is an overflow of population. You can see this in Champions Online as well. Check out this link from Iamtruthseeker. LINK For more information.

2.)The NBN won't speed up international connection. It'll only speed up national connections. It's not like they are laying a thicker pipe to the US. Also there is a maximum speed that light can travel, cant remember the actual math. But you won't get much quicker speeds than what you do now due to light and distance. So any performance increase brought on by the NBN will still be bottlenecked once it leaves our NBN service and goes on the already established pipelines.

Having said that if they could use a load balancer on login that determined point of origin/latency. Then divert you to a shard that is in your local area by default that would be cool. Once logged in you could jump shards/instances to play with other people, like the US player base. But in doing so you would also be getting that increased latency.

PS I voted 2. But would have chosen 2,3 & 4 if I could.
  • mnaticmnatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 233 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I wanna play with Americans, as a UK resident when we get stuck in EU servers is very frustrating.

With all the polish imigrants in the UK and all the other non english speaking EU countires bundled together i find it difficult to find english speaking pro gramers to play with.

I in no way intend this to be offensive to anyone, i am just looking forward to playing with one large mega server.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • quer1llaquer1lla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Because of the action combat style of the game, I would say that the low latency is required to make the game enjoyable/functional.
    PvP of 200ms vs 20ms is going to be QQfest
  • tronc8463tronc8463 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    quer1lla wrote: »
    Because of the action combat style of the game, I would say that the low latency is required to make the game enjoyable/functional.
    PvP of 200ms vs 20ms is going to be QQfest

AV 40v40 Slideshow YAY! But your right 200ms is a hindrance and one I wish we could do with out.
    edited February 2013
    tronc8463 wrote: »
    1.) There is only one game server.

today we have opened two brand new servers in Europe (Momaganon and Lothranis), as well as released two brand new PWI clients – one in German and one in French!

These two new servers are located in Amsterdam (The Netherlands)
  • tyestortyestor Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Yeah sure, if you still lived in 2005. Seriously, there is literally no excuse to not have Australian servers. Glorious 30 ping in SWTOR is one of the only reason I still play it. It's even more necessary for a game with this sort of combat system. Not only that but most American servers I have played on for MMOs (notable exception being WoW) have godawful ping.

The way I see it there's 3 options: 1. The server must have 180 (east coast, 200 for west coast) ping or less for those who live in Australia, like WoW's servers do. I'm perfectly happy playing WoW on 170 ping. 2. Local Australian servers like Swtor has. 3. I DO NOT KNOW WHY MORE COMPANIES DO NOT DO THIS. An official tunneling service. Something like Lowerping but free to all players. This is a good compromise. I know Guild Wars 1/2 and Rift, Aion and Tera would be a lot more playable if I didn't have to pay $10 a month extra to get somewhat good ping.
    tronc8463 wrote: »
    Local servers are nice. Two things though.

1.) There is only one game server. The server is than divided into shards. You might know them as instances like in SWTOR, example Republic Fleet (1), Republic Fleet (2), and so on. This happens when there is an overflow of population. You can see this in Champions Online as well. Check out this link from Iamtruthseeker. LINK For more information.

2.)The NBN won't speed up international connection. It'll only speed up national connections. It's not like they are laying a thicker pipe to the US. Also there is a maximum speed that light can travel, cant remember the actual math. But you won't get much quicker speeds than what you do now due to light and distance. So any performance increase brought on by the NBN will still be bottlenecked once it leaves our NBN service and goes on the already established pipelines.

Having said that if they could use a load balancer on login that determined point of origin/latency. Then divert you to a shard that is in your local area by default that would be cool. Once logged in you could jump shards/instances to play with other people, like the US player base. But in doing so you would also be getting that increased latency.

PS I voted 2. But would have chosen 2,3 & 4 if I could.

Actually, the NBN will substantially lower our pings to the west coast of the US. However, you are right in saying that we will only ever get a bit better than what we are at now. I believe the best possible ping we can have from the east coast of Australia to the west coast of the US is 130-140 ping. It will never go below that unless a new technology is invented that defies the known laws of physics.
    Tyestor - Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer
    edited February 2013

::eeekkkk!!!! Its so near! I can just run out in street naked and reach them before next day!!!

Sadly none of them in english. If I get too much lag, I will just brush up my french or german and join them.
  • gwenzelthargwenzelthar Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Would be nice if possible.

Don't expect it from a free model though.
    jonforgottenrealmssmall.jpg
    "I cannot be caged! I cannot be controlled! Understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fools!"
    edited February 2013
    tyestor wrote: »
    Yeah sure, if you still lived in 2005. Seriously, there is literally no excuse to not have Australian servers. Glorious 30 ping in SWTOR is one of the only reason I still play it. It's even more necessary for a game with this sort of combat system. Not only that but most American servers I have played on for MMOs (notable exception being WoW) have godawful ping.
    SWTOR yep the main attraction.
    The way I see it there's 3 options: 1. The server must have 180 (east coast, 200 for west coast) ping or less for those who live in Australia, like WoW's servers do. I'm perfectly happy playing WoW on 170 ping. 2. Local Australian servers like Swtor has. 3. I DO NOT KNOW WHY MORE COMPANIES DO NOT DO THIS. An official tunneling service. Something like Lowerping but free to all players. This is a good compromise. I know Guild Wars 1/2 and Rift, Aion and Tera would be a lot more playable if I didn't have to pay $10 a month extra to get somewhat good ping.
    Yeah did the same for RIft,tunneling wise used Proxifer, got rid off optus after the undersea cable sever thing, was getting stupidly high random pings in the 20000-100000 after 8pm AEST, (and the rifts made it a slideshow even though i had a pretty good pc to play it on), before disconnects, was crazy.
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Sadly none of them in english. If I get too much lag, I will just brush up my french or german and join them.
    And for the English-speakers who live in a European time zone, we have good news as well - If you're running our standard English client, you can actually still log into the European Servers, and nearly all the text you see will still be in English! Please note that certain text like System Messages will still be in French or German, depending on your server.

DDO i remember i was getting 260-300, it was ok, but the demon invasion thing they did, was well .......a joke (slideshow)

Actually, the NBN will substantially lower our pings to the west coast of the US. However, you are right in saying that we will only ever get a bit better than what we are at now. I believe the best possible ping we can have from the east coast of Australia to the west coast of the US is 130-140 ping.

yeppers your right and Ill take 130-140 anyday
  • jimhonjimhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 50
    edited February 2013
    Perfect World actually have servers in Australia for Blacklight: Retribution. (which isn't half bad, btw)

I'd love to see it happen. I always support games with aussie servers.

Like Heroes of Newerth! What a fantastic game that is. Best game ever made! xD
    edited February 2013
    Actually, the NBN will substantially lower our pings to the west coast of the US. However, you are right in saying that we will only ever get a bit better than what we are at now. I believe the best possible ping we can have from the east coast of Australia to the west coast of the US is 130-140 ping. It will never go below that unless a new technology is invented that defies the known laws of physics.

In relation to proximity from exchange. But those already close to an exchange won't notice to much of a difference. Doubt it will be greater then a 10ms. I sit on around 160-180 to US West Coast Servers without any proxy forwarder and not on the NBN. I would be surprised for that to drop any lower.
    today we have opened two brand new servers in Europe (Momaganon and Lothranis), as well as released two brand new PWI clients – one in German and one in French!

This is more a language issue. They do mention that English clients will still work on it which is nice! But some stuff will still be in non-English. They mention two servers but I think you'll find they are farmed servers with shared resources as one server with the capability to expand to multiple shards.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see them. The way I suggested to implement would mean they can implement them after launch without the need to re-roll and lose all your accumulated experience, wealth, and so on.
  • providenttprovidentt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Personally I don't have problems playing on US servers. I live in a capital city with relatively good cable internet so I don't have issues. However I know that a lot of other Aussies do get pretty bad latency to US MMO servers, and they're not even all in rural areas. A lot of city dwellers I know of for some reason get bad connections. Not sure why but I'll just chalk it up to the archaic piece of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> infrastructure here in Australia.

So while I don't really care about having a separate server, it would be nice for those people who seem to have really bad experiences with US servers. Voted option 2.
  • thorlundtthorlundt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I seriously doubt there'll be enough people in Oceania at launch to warrant a separate server. Not just in terms of cost of running the server but it'll be so sparsely populated playing on it will be a single player experience.
  • taemekegtaemekeg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013

Wrong, because you cant speed up the speed of light unless its through a vacuum and guess what, that ain't happening for Australia any time soon.

So regardless how you look at it, while the NBN will reduce the ping around Australia, it won't do anything from Australia to America. It will remain at around 180ms from the entrance to the pipe to the exit.

As for Oceanic servers, sigh, here we go again.

You use SW:ToR as a comparison or justification for it, yet, the server is a waste land, I am surprised they are even able to keep the server afloat. Very little population and hard to get anything done unless you are in one of the 4 guilds doing anything on it.

I hate how people throw the word *Oceanic* around. Do people realize how many different languages are spoken in the Oceanic demographic section of the world? Sure, the Oceanic demographic part of the world may very well be 300+ million people strong of which, very little of them speak english. Then compounding this issue we have network communication laws blocking us/them.

It is a simple buisness model. Europe and America have very little languages they need to cater too and no boundries on thier network communitcations, both countries have 300+ million people that could be potential customers, Europe having in excess of 600+ million, so....it is a no brainer. Australia has 30+ million people of which a small fraction of them are gamers, our telecommunication laws thanks to our goverment screw any company over even wanting to cater to us.

The only thing we can hope for is, when the NBN goes full steam ahead, that they remove the bandwidth cap we have in Australia, that is what kills any hopes and dreams of having our own servers here in Aus. I have often wondered how Warhammer Online, DoTa 2 and SW: ToR were able to get servers off the ground here without paying Telstra a mountain of cash for bandwidth usage.
  • providenttprovidentt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    thorlundt wrote: »
    I seriously doubt there'll be enough people in Oceania at launch to warrant a separate server. Not just in terms of cost of running the server but it'll be so sparsely populated playing on it will be a single player experience.

I disagree. All the MMO launches I've seen (which is a helluva lot), if it's a major MMO the Oceanic server (official or unofficial) gets instantly full, and the population has to overflow into 1-3 other servers. Even for a less-than-fully-hyped MMO like Neverwinter you'll get plenty enough Oceanics to fill up at least 1 server I think. Rift for example filled up 3 (maybe 4?) Oceanic servers on launch day.

However I do have the sneaking suspicion that the game only has 1 server, in which case I would support keeping it to the 1 server. I know TESO and Star Citizen are both boasting 1 megaserver so I might be getting my wires crossed though.
  • taemekegtaemekeg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    providentt wrote: »
    I disagree. All the MMO launches I've seen (which is a helluva lot), if it's a major MMO the Oceanic server (official or unofficial) gets instantly full, and the population has to overflow into 1-3 other servers. Even for a less-than-fully-hyped MMO like Neverwinter you'll get plenty enough Oceanics to fill up at least 1 server I think. Rift for example filled up 3 (maybe 4?) Oceanic servers on launch day.

However I do have the sneaking suspicion that the game only has 1 server, in which case I would support keeping it to the 1 server.

Ok, thats because in my time, the Oceanic server has been unofficially announced as one of the most populated servers game wide due to the amount of Americans playing on it and the reason we usually do that is to promote 24/7 gaming so that it works for both us and the Americans.

Now lets look at some of the *official* Oceanic servers that were flagged for us, 4 - 6 months, dead server getting merged into another server, end of story. I've watched it happen in every game since Aion.

The problem is, which many people do not realize is, that by the time a new release game has hit the market, the English speaking Oceanic players only have enough player base to support a shelf life of roughly 6 months, maybe 8 depending on time played etc.

We simply do not have enough people constantly topping the server up to replace those that leave. Couple this with the general attitude of the english speaking Oceanic playerbase, which is poor, it leaves people with no other choice but to look elsewhere wether it be new game or new server.
    edited February 2013
    providentt wrote: »
    However I do have the sneaking suspicion that the game only has 1 server, in which case I would support keeping it to the 1 server. I know TESO and Star Citizen are both boasting 1 megaserver so I might be getting my wires crossed though.

No it has many many servers. Thereis this new concept of sharing server space which is not used which makes the space more (and number of servers large) while keeping costs low So it may have even more space than so called "megaserver" in its one-server architect.
    edited February 2013
    taemekeg wrote: »
    Ok, thats because in my time, the Oceanic server has been unofficially announced as one of the most populated servers game wide due to the amount of Americans playing on it and the reason we usually do that is to promote 24/7 gaming so that it works for both us and the Americans.

Now lets look at some of the *official* Oceanic servers that were flagged for us, 4 - 6 months, dead server getting merged into another server, end of story. I've watched it happen in every game since Aion.

The problem is, which many people do not realize is, that by the time a new release game has hit the market, the English speaking Oceanic players only have enough player base to support a shelf life of roughly 6 months, maybe 8 depending on time played etc.

We simply do not have enough people constantly topping the server up to replace those that leave. Couple this with the general attitude of the english speaking Oceanic playerbase, which is poor, it leaves people with no other choice but to look elsewhere wether it be new game or new server.

Never seen that in a game with Oceanic servers from day 1. ToR's Oceanic servers are dead because they released it 6 months after launch and nobody wanted to server change. I was one of those people. Well, that and there's no point in playing the game once you finish the story.

Rift's Oceanic server that I was on (which was the 2nd overflow, so Oceanic server #3) is still running to this day.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    btw pw did opened new Subsidiary In Malaysia in not so long time ago so this shouldnt be to far and there might be eng nw version there after lunch to http://www.chinatechnews.com/2012/12/06/18911-chinas-perfect-world-sets-up-subsidiary-in-malaysia
This discussion has been closed.