Options

Game is very disappointing after watching MMORPG's stream

Comments

• Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    strainzed wrote: »
    I have a couple questions.

1. Why does it take mana to block with a shield?...

(ah! The ascii bug! Others can type it but when I quote it it blocks the post)

Fighter puts up the shield and gets hit, but his arm is holding it. When you hit your arm takes the impact which drains its strength. Every hit makes the arm tired and bigger hits can stun the arm due to blunt shock.

Hence you need to damage enemy. If you hit the kobold with sword, his attack on shield will be slower and thus your endurance against the kobold attack increases.

The more you damage others, the easier it is for you to bear their attacks for every hit of your will make them weak.
  • Options
    tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »
    Another thing for those not fond of the character classes (or the percieved lack of classes) you got to hand it to the devs they recently implemented the Tab functionality to further give the classes another form of character identity. To me this has been the biggest reason to be optimistic as I was not expecting that at all.

I've got no problem with the classes as they are and the tab bit was nice. I am hoping we have a bit more choice in how we build each class as from what I've seen in my opinion the builds are fairly narrow(constrained).

Now onto the perceived lack of classes. For me there is plenty of evidence that this game is going to launch with the bare minimum of classes and yes it lacks a lot. My evidence PH1,2,3,. If PnP is not a good example then pick anycrpg that has Dnd name attached. My memory isn't perfect but I don't remember any with this small of a selection.

Actually one thing I've seen from the video that gave me concern but I haven't seen mentioned is stablity. *pre-emptive eyeroll* :) Yes I know it is beta but it is not like this is a new engine. They have been using this engine for years. Are CO and STO this bad on stability?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    I would expect it to have all the classes available for the rules set it is supposedly being based upon at release. It's not a game like EQ, or Wow, where you don't have any existing lore/IP, and can just add a class here and there. It's D&D, and when I buy the PHB, there isn't a comment in the margins saying that I'll get rangers or monks or fighters at a later date, and that we might introduce bows and axes later too, but they are just so darn tough to figure out. Nope, I get them all right now, and probably some odd specialized classes as well. And yeah, I generally have at least one character of every available class, and trade class if those are available. Right now, I am actually hoping they are just lying to us, and that all the other classes will need to be purchased, at least then I could see why the classes aren't available. I figure they aren't, but /shrug

Like I said above though, I will still give it a try; not like I bought a founders pack, so I won't need to feel obligated to play to get my moneys worth. I really do hope we see real D&D weapon choices, bows, classes, and some more races pretty quickly, and that the games succeeds. I am just really flabbergasted by the info that has come to light in the past few days, and frankly need to vent a bit.

the Devs have said you will, they have to leave room for the game t ogrow though and your posts posits the problem with following such a rigid IP. They cant jsut invent classes out of thin air, therefore some classes need ot be held back for later releases. I will say though that not to release with a bow class might be a mistake as that is an archetypical MMO and D&D class and to not have a physical based ranged class might bite them in the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    I'm not sure what variety you're expecting to see?

Yea no kidding. He has given plenty of examples of "percieved" deficiencies with NWO but what I would liek to see are examples of games he thinks NWO should be more like. This is the telling arguement that might give away his true intentions....of which I have an ideas to what they are.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sea70sea70 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zarchos wrote: »
    Very Disappointed.

/sign

This is an easy mode pay2play game for the 5-minute-quick-action Facebook/iPhone generation. Having it feature "d&d" and "Neverwinter" in the title will make Gary Gygax crawl out of his grave and flee to mars.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    sea70 wrote: »
    /sign

This is an easy mode pay2play game for the 5-minute-quick-action Facebook/iPhone generation. Having it feature "d&d" and "Neverwinter" in the title will make Gary Gygax crawl out of his grave and flee to mars.

*grimaces* Damned my eyes where di I put that blasted troll Spray?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    the Devs have said you will, they have to leave room for the game t ogrow though and your posts posits the problem with following such a rigid IP. They cant jsut invent classes out of thin air, therefore some classes need ot be held back for later releases. I will say though that not to release with a bow class might be a mistake as that is an archetypical MMO and D&D class and to not have a physical based ranged class might bite them in the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

I know Zylaxx, I am just a bit surprised at what seem like basic "needs" for an RPG, are being left out. Bows, weapons other than daggers and swords, 2 classes at least per type, ect. But hey, as long as some arena based eSport PvP get's all the dev love, then who am I to complain. Oh that's right, that might not actually be ready at release either according to this weeks info...

Okay, I'm going to go to Walmart, and scream at random strangers... ;)
  • Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Pay2play. Lol. I wonder if people even know what they're talking about.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    *grimaces* Damned my eyes where di I put that blasted troll Spray?

It was in your backpack. I stole it and used it on those greedy accounting clerks at Perfect World, who came up with the idea to create a cashcow to milk and name it "Neverwinter".
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    denkasaeba wrote: »
    Pay2play. Lol. I wonder if people even know what they're talking about.

I wonder if you are even old enough to remember the times, when we paid good money for games worth beeing called that.
  • Options
    oldskylanceroldskylancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm very dissapointed int the mob walkpaths, I'd seen it before but it's very noticeable at the end of the video with all the adds bunching up. That's really not 4e and definitely needs work.

If I'm fighting 100 only 6 at a time can attack period(unless they have pole arms).
    e84df321-2eb4-4d3b-97d2-854aa247afc4_zps96a2cec8.jpg

Orcus bane, Knight-wanderer of the Sword Coast
  • Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    sea70 wrote: »
    I wonder if you are even old enough to remember the times, when we paid good money for games worth beeing called that.

I prefer to play good games without playing a dime for trying them. Sorry if i'm weird.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    shaudiusshaudius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I know Zylaxx, I am just a bit surprised at what seem like basic "needs" for an RPG, are being left out. Bows, weapons other than daggers and swords, 2 classes at least per type, ect. But hey, as long as some arena based eSport PvP get's all the dev love, then who am I to complain. Oh that's right, that might not actually be ready at release either according to this weeks info...

Okay, I'm going to go to Walmart, and scream at random strangers... ;)

The actual mechanic differences between swords and other types of weapons was pretty minimal in D&D depending on the edition, usually it was just a dice size, sometimes a crit range, and whether or not they had a reduced effect on certain types of monsters. The real problem with the absence is mostly aesthetics in my mind.
    Neverwinter Foundry Fansite with IRC Chatroom - http://www.tavernugc.com. Chatroom also available through IRC on irc.geekshed.net, #tavernugc.
    Neverwinter Official Wiki - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/
  • Options
    shaudiusshaudius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm very dissapointed int the mob walkpaths, I'd seen it before but it's very noticeable at the end of the video with all the adds bunching up. That's really not 4e and definitely needs work.

If I'm fighting 100 only 6 at a time can attack period(unless they have pole arms).

Very D&D but not very realistic in a non-grided MMO.
    Neverwinter Foundry Fansite with IRC Chatroom - http://www.tavernugc.com. Chatroom also available through IRC on irc.geekshed.net, #tavernugc.
    Neverwinter Official Wiki - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    denkasaeba wrote: »
    I prefer to play good games without playing a dime for trying them. Sorry if i'm weird.

You are not weird. What you prefer is what was called a "demo version" in the 80ties and 90ties. Nowadays all you get is empty promisses, day0 patches, 90 pages of EULAs, half-done products with a marketing budget that exceeds smaller companies whole development budget and greedy speculators that come up with "new" ideas (like Neverwinter) to milk us gamers.
  • Options
    horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    strainzed wrote: »
    Face it folks, this is Gauntlet, not Dungeons and Dragons.

And I'm ok with that if it is well executed.

Another mentioned Diablo and what I find interesting is that there is room for a Diablo 3rd/1rst person mmo. Just changing the angle changes immersion completely. There is a reason why Wolfenstein of yesteryear blew minds. Borderlands 1 and 2 while not a mmo, is basically an example of 3d Diablo and it works, it's great fun. I feel Blizzard doing a top down D3 for $60 was a rip, where as Torchlight 2 at $20, knows how to price the top down genre for today.

Now the question is "how good does Neverwinter execute it's model?"

It looks average so far from what I've seen, not bad but not best of breed.

In general mmo talk, I like to reference C9, Dragons Nest and Vindictus often. That is the state of Action MMO models, not GW2 or Terra. Those two are small advancements from the traditional mmo. Where the other 3 I mention go a couple steps further forward. And if you are going to make an action MMO, to me this is where you should be and Neverwinter does look like an action based MMO.

But C9/DN etc, what they are doing that seems to be going unnoticed is beyond just fast spamming skills, moving, rolling etc. Their skills also behave differently with what the player is doing. Moving left and right and pressing 1 acts different than standing and pressing 1. Jumping while pressing 1 is also different. It adds a lot more skill options without making it a press 1 or press 2 mmo. It starts to play out a bit like a Tekken and when your goal is action combat, to me that is the next step forward.

Another area of concern is difficulty. Does Neverwinter's instances have a choice of difficulty? If not that is a large miss. You cannot, you cannot satisfy the population with one setting for everyone. If there is only one setting you can bet your bippy it's going to be set very easy. That saddens me. Games like DDO knows it takes 5 to start making players happy. Cryptic's own COH has what 4 or five settings for door missions? This is a big question for me. Anyone know?

FWIW games like C9 and DN those have many difficulty levels per instance as well, what fails there is even their hard settings are super easy. I don't get it, C9 they say you PvE to farm for PvP and they want their farming easy, but we know PvE players out number PvP and C9 has like 6 difficulty choices and all of them are cake walks, frustrating.

Neverwinter even though it's not traditional DnD (see Divinity Original Sin for old-school), as long as it doesn't sell us one way and do something different, I am ok with it. Another alternative for old-schoolers are the various kickstarter RPG's in development, your second age is coming.

In leaving I write, for the old traditional MMO way, City Of Heroes combat model was great, there was none better. It was amazing how you could get into battles and my controlling-healer was always on his toes, putting out a split second heal before anothers death over and over. Those bars hopped back and forth crazily and was nothing short of thrilling and brilliantly balanced. So Cryptic has it in them. I've always wondered if they knew how really awesome that combat model played out. If Neverwinter is in the zipcode of COH combat balance wise in this manner, it's a sure fire hit with me.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And I cant wait for the 2 weeks after release and non-players and haters forget about the game and move onto the next haterade material.

We know that won't happen because to these poeple the game isn't actually playing a MMO, it is trashing it and causing drama on the forums. :rolleyes:
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    xantris wrote: »
    Why are D&D tabletop guys so damned and determined to plug their turn based dice game into a live action video-game environment. Nobody played games like Neverwinter Nights for their combat mechanics.

I think there is a legitimate concern about how mediocre Cryptic does questing and storyline content, but the combat and skill mechanics aspect is not a concern.

I am a D&D Table top guy from the mid 70's and I don't feel that way, what you are hearing is the cry of the munchkin...they get ignored in real life gaming groups as well.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    voqarvoqar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    aescleal wrote: »
    Hi zarchos,

I might add that first and foremost, this is an unreleased game at the moment.

Yeah, so rabid fanbois defending the game or thrashing his comments with zero basis for argument are equally clueless.

But it's not like there won't be fanbois, just about every game has them.

It's an action combat style game so it's going to have that hack and slash kind of feel, but there's plenty of room for depth in such a system.
    When it's your turn to play this FREE game

If anybody really thinks companies spend millions of dollars to provide you with free entertainment, you are a fool.

You can play an extended demo for free but in any so-called F2P there's always a catch or hook to limit you if you don't eventually pay.
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    shaudius wrote: »
    The actual mechanic differences between swords and other types of weapons was pretty minimal in D&D depending on the edition, usually it was just a dice size, sometimes a crit range, and whether or not they had a reduced effect on certain types of monsters. The real problem with the absence is mostly aesthetics in my mind.

True, very true, and as pointed out in another thread, my worries about having limited choices as far as weapon types appear to have been unfounded. Still love to see 8 classes, but, it beez what it beez.
  • Options
    zarchoszarchos Member Posts: 47
    edited February 2013
    I've read a lot of opinions here, my opinion still stands. This game is a glorified arcade game, I'm telling you that I could honestly see this in an Arcade and me putting Quarters into the machine over and over again. Unless something changes between now and open beta, I can't see this game getting released as a full fledged MMORPG, it's just not designed for it.
  • Options
    quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've read a lot of opinions here, my opinion still stands. This game is a glorified arcade game, I'm telling you that I could honestly see this in an Arcade and me putting Quarters into the machine over and over again.

So you're saying that it looks like so much fun, that you'd continuously spend more and more money to play it? Sounds like mission successful for the devs!
    Unless something changes between now and open beta, I can't see this game getting released as a full fledged MMORPG, it's just not designed for it.

You appear to have a very strange definition of "full fledged MMORPG".
  • Options
    hedronlordhedronlord Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The idea that its not an MMO because its action oriented is just the kind of thinking that cranks out cookie cutter games. Yes this has a different feel. Are you telling me that standard MMO autoattacks look more interesting than aiming shots?

You want a more traditional MMO in the D&D universe. Fine. I don't. I like companies that try new mechanics and styles.

I don't see anyone being able to sway you as you clearly dont like the "arcade-y" action combat. Fair enough.

And as someone who is concerned with the (seemingly) few classes at launch, its not easy to crank out tons of classes for a F2P game, with reasonable quality. I just hope it gets supported and more are released later on.
  • Options
    foodlefoodle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have been watching this project with leery eyes. Been burned badly with CO and holding 2 life time subs I could not sell if I gave them away. Huge fan of forgotten realms and almost cried when I saw that Cryptic gets to mess up on a project I would love to see in someone elses hands. But because its Neverwinter I have been peeking in for time to time. I have to say the dungeon looked fun. People needed to work together (attacking target with seal on it) to stay alive. Assisting, fast combat. I agree not many classes for a DnD game but its got the core classes and we all know how MMOs get updated. I have to say I am impressed and I didnt think I would be. I will be trying this game for sure and its because of this video.
  • Options
    kyllroy2kyllroy2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 309 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    foodle wrote: »
    I have been watching this project with leery eyes. Been burned badly with CO and holding 2 life time subs I could not sell if I gave them away. Huge fan of forgotten realms and almost cried when I saw that Cryptic gets to mess up on a project I would love to see in someone elses hands. But because its Neverwinter I have been peeking in for time to time. I have to say the dungeon looked fun. People needed to work together (attacking target with seal on it) to stay alive. Assisting, fast combat. I agree not many classes for a DnD game but its got the core classes and we all know how MMOs get updated. I have to say I am impressed and I didnt think I would be. I will be trying this game for sure and its because of this video.

I'm in for the duration, but having said that, I felt badly burned after NwN2 and the gradual slipping of popularity for numerous reasons. FR has tons of content if the foundry creators are given the tools they need so that is a huge selling point for me.

On being updated I believe it needs the additional classes and races. The starting classes will get a huge head start on PvP, which promises to be integral to the interest and draw for new players. If players feel that they can never compete, how will that work?

The faithful here are trusting a little too much when it comes to future content. I believe after so long a wait the expectations are a little unrealistic to think everything will be added any time soon. What will likely happen IMO is the game will get closer to launch, get some polish on balance from the feedback and then a hard look at the bank statement... at that point we will know the outcome of the fantastic plans.
  • Options
    kentheprogrammerkentheprogrammer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 37
    edited February 2013
    It's true the game is launching with 5 classes - which doesn't really full like a full compliment. They've said they're currently working on other classes and that other classes will be released "shortly" (whatever that might mean) after launch. I think 5 will be sufficient for launch (there's enough variety to field a 5-person team that fulfills trinity roles), but I agree that interest may wain after launch if variety doesn't increase. It also partially depends upon how substantially different the 3 different specializations that each class has (and whatever paragon paths are and how they might be implemented). If the 3 different specializations actually feel substantially different - or play differently enough - then the 5 classes might hold enough interest for enough time for the devs to release new classes.

I understand that many people on these forums are putting a lot of trust into what devs say about what content will be coming out when, what sort of content will be paid for and what won't, as well as how the Foundry plays out. Ultimately I don't think any of that is worth fighting too much over since the game is 100% free to download and play. If they don't release content in a timely fashion, then stop playing. If they make you buy something to play part of the game that you don't feel is fair, then stop playing. If the Foundry content creators churn out junk or if the Foundry can't be used to create compelling content, then stop playing. I just don't see the point in even complaining about it.

The videos I've seen (TB's and the MMORPG one) have increased my interest. The game looks better than I had expected, the game seems more interesting than I had expected. Basically because PW published RaiderZ and is publishing this, I expected something similar to that game (which I got bored with after about a day - find a group to kill the super boss of the zone, kill him enough times to craft the weapons and armor you want, go to the next zone, rinse and repeat). I'm interested in something that's less like the current run of the mill games, without a subscription. This seems to fit the bill for now. If it doesn't flip my skirt after playing, what have I lost? I've lost some time, but I'm not actively playing another game anyway.

TL;DR: if the game is fun, play it. If it's not, use your energy on something more constructive than complaining.
  • Options
    askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't know how cryptic studio's classifys this game as an MMORG. Here are my major gripes with the game

- The game looks like a console Hack and Slash game, it has the typical fast paced XBOX 360 gears of war look to it. I want a MMOG, not a simple hack and slash where everyone looks the same and gets the same abilities.

- Speaking of which I see nothing in this game for class diversity. It looks like everyone gets the same abilities and the loot looks like it's pretty much the same rewards for everyone.

- Also, can we just say that this Diablo but with a cash shop? This game does NOT look deep at all, it's nothing more than a console hack and slash game. It doesn't have any identity at all.

Very Disappointed.

Ummmmm I think you watched the video for Torchlight... either that or you got some seriously good smoke.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    True, very true, and as pointed out in another thread, my worries about having limited choices as far as weapon types appear to have been unfounded. Still love to see 8 classes, but, it beez what it beez.

Yea the only difference was in throwing a 1 d 6 or a 2 d 4. Nothign worng with that but I like my graphical representation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    peoplenesspeopleness Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You people don't understand what the OP is trying to say about "classes" if you can even call them that. There is no diversity in classes, because there are no classes. Great Weapon Fighter, Guardian Fighter, Devoted Cleric, Trickster Rogue, Control Wizard. These aren't classes, they are BUILDS! A class is a Fighter, a build is a Great Weapon Fighter or a Guardian Fighter. See the difference?

Cryptic basically dumbed down class customization so much that they completely removed classes from the game, instead they are giving us builds of each class. Devoted cleric cannot be anything but a healer. Even the freaking paragon trees are all the same, they just offer different ways of healing! Each "class" has like 10 different abilities divided into encounter, daily and at-will. How bloody restrictive is that, people are blind if they cannot see that there is no "class" diversity in this game, because you are already established into a build when you begin the game lol.

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely going to play this game, because I like everything else about it. I just hate the sheer lack of "class" diversity.
  • Options
    hedronlordhedronlord Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    peopleness wrote: »
    You people don't understand what the OP is trying to say about "classes" if you can even call them that. There is no diversity in classes, because there are no classes. Great Weapon Fighter, Guardian Fighter, Devoted Cleric, Trickster Rogue, Control Wizard. These aren't classes, they are BUILDS! A class is a Fighter, a build is a Great Weapon Fighter or a Guardian Fighter. See the difference?

Are you sure you know what a "class" is? Each if these.....character types will have a distinct playstyle, with distinct mechanics. You can call them whatever you like. In 4e they were builds as they had the same class mechanics. Here they do not.