test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FFXIV Reborn vs NWO

fcrowlesfcrowles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 136 Bounty Hunter
edited February 2013 in Off Topic
I just received a E-mail about the beta test starting for FFXIV Reborn and I have to say I am absolutely torn between which MMO to get into. FFXI was by far the best MMO I had ever played and FFXIV was the most disappointing MMO of my life. The Reborn version looks amazing. Unfortunately I loved the concept of DDO, just not how it was put together. I like the spells and abilities and class system of DnD. Curse you themed MMOs. Is anyone else suffering from the same decision as me?
Post edited by fcrowles on

Comments

• silestesileste Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If this forum follows the rules like the other PWE game forums, you aren't allowed to talk about other games here. Plus, probably the wrong section of the forums to talk about it.
    NWDC-2_zps52f863ab.png
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited February 2013
    I don't understand why people feel like they owe some allegiance to one MMO over another. They're not exclusive. You can play both.
  • lawfulstupidlawfulstupid Member Posts: 55
    edited February 2013
    Neverwinter is F2P

That means its free. You can play both

neat, huh?
    The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
  • geddings12geddings12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    why be torn? go for both? :-) I applied for the beta myself for FFXVI but..im more interested in Neverwinter honestly :-). user generated content and the city of neverwinter and such :-) fun times.
  • fcrowlesfcrowles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 136 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    It's not about money its about time. I am a hardcore gamer. When one of them comes out I'll probably take 2 days off work and have a 48 hour shift on the game. I can't play two games at once, I like to get into them. Perhaps I'm the only one who is that way.

As for people who are afraid its against the rules to post this here, does it bother you that much? I am talking about NW and I am talking about another game. I didn't think I'd offend anyone because I mentioned another game. I see people mention WoW in about half the threads on here.
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    sileste wrote: »
    If this forum follows the rules like the other PWE game forums, you aren't allowed to talk about other games here. Plus, probably the wrong section of the forums to talk about it.

This is the off topic section as you can see from other threads in it you CAN talk about other games.
    fcrowles wrote: »
    I just received a E-mail about the beta test starting for FFXIV Reborn and I have to say I am absolutely torn between which MMO to get into. FFXI was by far the best MMO I had ever played and FFXIV was the most disappointing MMO of my life. The Reborn version looks amazing. Unfortunately I loved the concept of DDO, just not how it was put together. I like the spells and abilities and class system of DnD. Curse you themed MMOs. Is anyone else suffering from the same decision as me?

That said I will be looking into reborn and since it will have a sub I think it may end up better than this one, if the founder pack pricing is any indication of pricing for the cash shop.

I like the DnD aspect but I get the feeling we will be limited in this compared to say DDO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • fcrowlesfcrowles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 136 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    The biggest thing thats pushing me towards Reborn is monk. Monk has always been my favorite class to play. Im sure eventually they will release a monk on NW but from what it appears it wont be for a while. The classes that are coming with beta are so limited. I mean a whole beta release and only five classes? I certainly hope there is a lot of customization within those classes or the whole game is going to be 100% reliant on foundry's succession.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited February 2013
    I consider myself a pretty hardcore gamer too, and I tend to get pretty dedicated and involved in the MMOs I find myself immersed in, but I certainly don't let that restrict the variety of games and MMOs I play. I like to try em all, there's very few I get hooked on. There's a short list of MMOs I could hop back into right now and pick up where I left off on my max level or near max level characters I abandoned some time ago.

Shame I'll never go back to CoH again. That was a game I played on and off for a long time.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Blasphemy! D&D:NW (not NWO which is 1991 game) will beat FF...

Nah! Both are part of my memories. Cant really let them fight. I will ask Selune to avert their war.
    edited February 2013
    I'm not going to type D&D: NW for a abbreviation to a video game. That's far too long and '&' is not used enough for it to be typed quickly. 1991 was more than 20 years ago. When people say D1 they assume Diablo 1 not Doom 1 and Doom came first. I'm afraid the original NWO is being replaced with NWO which is neverwinter online.
    edited February 2013
    I'm not going to type D&D: NW for a abbreviation to a video game. That's far too long and '&' is not used enough for it to be typed quickly. 1991 was more than 20 years ago. When people say D1 they assume Diablo 1 not Doom 1 and Doom came first. I'm afraid the original NWO is being replaced with NWO which is neverwinter online.

Besides Selune is too busy licking my......boots to hear to gillrmn :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    pilf3r wrote: »
    Besides Selune is too busy licking my......boots to hear to gillrmn :D

Pffftttt.... Asmodeus who feeds off the daughter of Selune's assistant - and a fallen angel who is afraid of He Who Was that he soils his hoofs everytime some mortal is able to take it, should remember that Selune knows its true name. It just that she is good - if you truly anger her, she will make you wash her laundry cause she knows who you are and He Who Was.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    I like the term NWO for "Neverwinter Online" as it makes me think that Neverwinter Online will be the New World Order for MMORPGs! :cool:
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Sorry you don't have time for both. I respect whatever decision you make but hope to see you in NWO of course.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Pffftttt.... Asmodeus who feeds off the daughter of Selune's assistant - and a fallen angel who is afraid of He Who Was that he soils his hoofs everytime some mortal is able to take it, should remember that Selune knows its true name. It just that she is good - if you truly anger her, she will make you wash her laundry cause she knows who you are and He Who Was.

Pffft.. rather Asmodeus the angel who used a sliver from the shard of evil to make his ruby rod and then after being betrayed by the god of sky, kingship and wisdom then slew him and is further cursed by the dying breath of He Who Was thereby creating Baator where once Baathion once was...Asmodeus the one who the remaining gods in the Dawn War needed so much they signed the Pact Primeval but didn't read the fine print..

:p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSFg3pAprdg

Ruby rod, huh? I'm sure Asmodeus was inspired by this then.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Bzzzzzzzzt!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Bzzzzzzzzt!

Strike one? ^^;;
    edited February 2013
    Pffft.. rather Asmodeus the angel who used a sliver from the shard of evil to make his ruby rod and then after being betrayed by the god of sky, kingship and wisdom then slew him and is further cursed by the dying breath of He Who Was thereby creating Baator where once Baathion once was...Asmodeus the one who the remaining gods in the Dawn War needed so much they signed the Pact Primeval but didn't read the fine print..

:p
    Sorry but in 4e they nerfed Asmodeus heavily.

He was and is a b*** I mean servant of gods. Earlier he used to serve He Who Was(like darth vader served master) later he erved the other gods - trying to survive by proving his usefulness to them.

That is what ashamdai do too.

Also he is a known bully who butters his superiors and abuses his juniors.

Demons are way more evil and cooler than devils now - even when they were defeated recently (although in reality, Asmodeus wants to make himself a demon by getting that "seed" - how obscene).

EDIT:
    Selune on other hand, always met with power nerf only, not a lore nerf.
  • silestesileste Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This is the off topic section as you can see from other threads in it you CAN talk about other games.

It was posted on the general discussion section at first. It was moved to the correct area. :)
    NWDC-2_zps52f863ab.png
    edited February 2013
    You guys are really getting off topic here..... its not a post about whether it belongs in the right section and its not a post about the Gods of NW. Please try to keep it on topic comparing Reborn vs NWO
  • ragnarlawlragnarlawl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    You guys are really getting off topic here..... its not a post about whether it belongs in the right section and its not a post about the Gods of NW. Please try to keep it on topic comparing Reborn vs NWO

We are getting off topic in the off topic section.
    I see what you did there.

Personally I'll try both. I did 14 before it went ker-tank and it left me more than a little weary. However, they also did a lot to admit what did not work and are trying harder than most to do better next time. :)
    [TMG] Ragnaruss www.topmarksgaming.org
    edited February 2013
    The youtube videos on the new FFXIV makes it seem a lot like common MMOs like WoW. Pick up a question, do it, turn it in for exp. Also the skills bars are WoW-like. The only thing that kept the FF name is the theme. Which is fine by me. I love summons, behemoth, odin, the monk. The works.
    edited February 2013
    sileste wrote: »
    It was posted on the general discussion section at first. It was moved to the correct area. :)

Ah now your post makes much more sense to me :) My bad I guess!

gillrmn wrote: »
    Sorry but in 4e they nerfed Asmodeus heavily.

He was and is a b*** I mean servant of gods. Earlier he used to serve He Who Was(like darth vader served master) later he erved the other gods - trying to survive by proving his usefulness to them.

That is what ashamdai do too.

Also he is a known bully who butters his superiors and abuses his juniors.

Demons are way more evil and cooler than devils now - even when they were defeated recently (although in reality, Asmodeus wants to make himself a demon by getting that "seed" - how obscene).

EDIT:
    Selune on other hand, always met with power nerf only, not a lore nerf.

Homebrew Lore :p

ragnarlawl wrote: »
    We are getting off topic in the off topic section.
    I see what you did there.

Personally I'll try both. I did 14 before it went ker-tank and it left me more than a little weary. However, they also did a lot to admit what did not work and are trying harder than most to do better next time. :)

Well to get back on topic I was in the first FF14 betas and thought the gameplay was awful amongst other things. Looks like they have changed much, it seems like it is much more WoW like than before which has some good and bad points I guess. It will be interesting to see how reborn plays.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    Hmmm, worth a second look then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]