test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Founder's Packs Anxiety Thread

Comments

• aragoharagoh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Reading all of the discussion I totally get where a lot of people are coming from. I know for a fact that everyone on this forum wants this game so succeed so that we can build a solid community over time with all the cool stuff. I know a lot of worry comes from that fact that a lot of people have been burned by free to play in the past (trust me I have to) or are coming from a sub game and don't quite know what to expect.

I remember having all these conversations leading up to the betas for GW2 as well, with basically the same topics going around and everyone was pleasantly surprised come beta when the cash shop was all items that directly didn't affect game play aside from Convenience items like XP boosts .

I know that some people also don't like cryptic as a studio but you have to remember two things about this game that are different than the rest of the titles they have done in the past.
    1. Its not the same devs that have done Champions Online and Star Trek Online.
    2. Just look at the champions online and Star trek online cash shops if you want a gauge to how Neverwinter will work and the remarkable thing about that is that those games where not built around free to play from the start. And the cash shops for both those games balance very well with giving mostly cosmetic and luxury items, and not turning into a pay 2 win system.

I have a good feeling about where cryptic is taking this game and how they are developing it that will make it an enjoyable experience for everyone, so I would just suggest that everyone chill out until February 8th comes around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Credit: Syreian: Devient Art
  • xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    So what? There's still a level cap. That's not "pay to win", that's "pay to get to the cap a couple weeks quicker". You catch up in short order. Hitting the cap is the beginning of your character's journey, not the end. XP boosts are conveniences. :)

It's like in the martial arts, where from the outside you think a black belt is the end of the journey, but once you're on the inside, you realize that a black belt means you've learned enough of the basics to begin learning the martial arts.

Yea of course level skipping isn't pay to win.
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
  • galahad01galahad01 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hello Again All,

Thx to asd for the break down on the items, all though I am still sceptical as the true value and what the average Joe will be , or have to pay if they decide to wait for the Official Release.

It will have to be higher prices then what has been stated or where would the deal be for the early adopters, especially in reguards to the Zen/Astral Diamonds.

What I am affraid is going to happen is that your going to get these early Beta Weekend people getting on and not only finding loop holes and farming good items but taking said items from "Beta Access" and putting them on the Auction for outragious prices, that the average Joe that waited for the official release ( because they Had to, due to money ) has no clue as to the real value of or the rareity.

If your going to tell me that the Early Beta People are going to let the Devs know about a loop hole in game as soon as they find it, your lying through your teeth, I just hope that the devs created the A.H in such a way that people will be able to see the original price of an item so people can make an informed descision of it's worth ( To Them ).

Eg. if I look on the A.H an see a sword for 100,000 and the base price is 5500 there is no way I m paying the 100K, this is the fleecing I am worried about.

The Beta Weekend Group(s) set the market if you will, and I don't think that is fair to the people that have to wait for the O.R. for what-ever reason.

Personally I don't think anything found in a beta should be allowed to be taking into an original Release of any game, but that is just my opinion.

As to Aragohs' statement, I to want to see this game succeed, I have all the old Neverwinter Nights titles plus the free content that didn't make it as NWN originals. So I am hoping that the community content Authors of NWO will be just as successful.

I guess I'm just trying to be an advocate for the average Joe, and hoping PWE devs are looking this way,

Guys/Gals all the best to you and future success with NWO, and trying to give the early adopters Access deals is fine , but don't make the Average Joe pay the price for it later on. I can see the makings of a Great Community here as in the Threads all ready posted, and even though there may be, I haven't seen any grossly insulting comments from people like I have seen on other forums.

I have read other threads on other forums started by new people to a game and instead of trying to welcome them or edjumacating them a little bit, the new blood was scorned and ridiculed, for nothing more then being new and having an original thought.....

They weren't getting with the program sort of speak, because the rest of the group excepted something as gospel then they had to as well.

And that is my 2 Zen worth, Take care all and I look forward to taking part in NWO and the community,

Cheers!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

" May The Wind be Always At Your Back "
  • venexxxvenexxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    if we use astral diamonds during the betas will we lose them when the game goes live or will they be refunded the the full amount the pack gives
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    All your purchases will carry in to the live game.

However at this moment Cryptic will neither confirm or deny an Open Beta wipe. If there is no wipe then your Astral Diamonds will still carry over but it will be in the terms that you spent it.

This will change based on information released later in the Beta Stages by Cryptic.
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    keirkin wrote: »
    True pay2win is like a potion in the store that gives for 5x damage for one hour and no where else in the game to get a damage multiplier or a +10 sword that doubles all damage where you can only get a max of a +5 sword that just does normal damage from drops in the game.
    That's not P2W, that's "convenience" (of killing things twice as fast).

/tongue firmly in cheek.
  • aidenolmaidenolm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Does anyone know if the founder packs will be available after the 8th? NDA or not, I imagine info will leak and I'd because to make a wiser choice on which package to get.

I'm highly interested in the Hero as I enjoy the concept of the race kit, like the mount, and *LOVE* the panther (Even if the animation of it in the video was sub-par), but $50 seems more reasonable for something that Cryptic is holding so incredibly secret.
  • misthoforosmisthoforos Member Posts: 56
    edited February 2013
    Is there a time limit to buy these special founders packs? Like will they be available up to release?

I don't care about getting into the beta that much, but would like to know if I have some time to save up some money.

Side question: Can I buy and apply both Guardian and Hero packs to my account? Kind of want the horse and wolf too.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Ugh, I can't find Trailturtles post but basically he said he wasn't aware of any set expiration dates yet.
    If he's not aware I wouldn't doubt the sale will stop before/during this weekend.

I will not and can not promise this. Perhaps the mod team can force an answer to this question during the week.
  • tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Is there a time limit to buy these special founders packs? Like will they be available up to release?

I don't care about getting into the beta that much, but would like to know if I have some time to save up some money.

Side question: Can I buy and apply both Guardian and Hero packs to my account? Kind of want the horse and wolf too.

You can get all three packs. You will definetly get all the unique stuff and most of the other stuff will stack maybe all of it.(but I believe what all will stack has not been completely determined) the Dev tracker thread in the news forum has some information.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    asdfasdfgf wrote: »
    Its not a bad gauge it is just not an extremely accurate one. Even across PWE games prices on similar items are not the same, in some cases not even close. By not close I mean in some cases a 25% to 30% difference or more.
    *snip*

Troll is troll.

You've obviously decided to not invest in the game, enjoy the fruits of our labor and keep it to yourself.

Really? So the guy is a troll that obviously decided not to invest in the game and should keep their comments to themselves for stating the objective and verifiable fact that prices in other PWE games are not necessarily an accurate gauge for what prices in this game could be?
    aragoh wrote: »
    I know that some people also don't like cryptic as a studio but you have to remember two things about this game that are different than the rest of the titles they have done in the past.
    1. Its not the same devs that have done Champions Online and Star Trek Online.
    2. Just look at the champions online and Star trek online cash shops if you want a gauge to how Neverwinter will work and the remarkable thing about that is that those games where not built around free to play from the start. And the cash shops for both those games balance very well with giving mostly cosmetic and luxury items, and not turning into a pay 2 win system.

I have a good feeling about where cryptic is taking this game and how they are developing it that will make it an enjoyable experience for everyone, so I would just suggest that everyone chill out until February 8th comes around.

I used to like and be supportive of Cryptic but:

1) It IS the same devs that did Champions Online and Star Trek Online. Where do you think all the devs that used to work on CO went? And what do you think is one of the main reasons that game's development has been largely neglected? (Note: This is actually one of the reasons I'm reluctant to support Cryptic anymore, and why people tend to be so angry at the CO forums). In some ways this could actually be good for NWO since they have the most talent devs in the company working there right now. I just hope that the appearance customization options offered in this game are on par with their previous titles--particular for armor and such, which I am highly skeptical of right now given the emphasis on visible armor in this game (which isn't a limitation/requirement present in their other games). Visual customization will determine whether or not I retain interest in this game.

2) The prices for a lot of the items in the CO and STO stores where already in place by the time PWE took over and prices for more recent items are not exactly in line with what they used to be before. And while they've retained their old prices for existing stuff a lot of recent additions have significantly higher prices than what you used to see before PWE (such as Catalysts and Freeform Slots), and many have been exclusively included through gambling items like grab bags and lockboxes with no odds posted anywhere. Estimates posted at the forums can vary widely, but people have been known to pay even hundreds of dollars sometimes to get the desired items--particularly those with the lower droprates like STO ships.

I also know that CO at least has some stuff that could be argued to be "P2W", such as the Catalysts (item upgrades), though, what exactly constitudes P2W can be very subjective and many at the CO forums reject the idea that items in CO can be "P2W" on the grounds that "there's nothing to win" and the game (and the company) is very non-competitive and Cryptic isn't exactly know for raid content or strong PvP (which is non-existent in CO) and tends to favor casual play.
    I had no problem paying an equivalent amount for the lifetime sub to STO. I think PWE/Cryptic have done a fine job balancing FTP with paid items, and they are still refining (for example there seems a shift to account bind on pickup vs character bind). Paid items are always a few points less than than end game award items in STO. So I don't think at this time pay to win is something you need to worry about.

Except this ISN'T a Lifetime sub as those games have. I would have no hesitation buying this pack if it was in fact treated as a lifetime sub, granting free coins per month or whatever, but nowhere does it state that it is such.

It is simply a bundle pack and there is no way of knowing what it's true value is until the game is released. So it's a gamble at this point in time.
  • vampirialvampirial Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Do we know yet if we get the Armor set that is shown on the Drow Renegade in the trailers?
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    BTW items from these packs are bound.

items...are not included with the Drow. That you have to either earn in game or get in that mystrery box. No info if that specific armor is purchasable with game currency or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drwarpeffectdrwarpeffect Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would like to add until we have much more information it is hard to assess how the $200 price will play out in game terms. But, my point is that either the items are worth at least $200, or even the $549 value claimed, which can lead at least to the damaging perception from the point of view of non-purchasers it offers too great an advantage, or that it is not worth at least $200 in which case it is straightforwardly overpriced.
  • keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    asdfasdfgf wrote: »
    BOI on release had mounts ranging from $10-$25 depending on their bonus/movement speed
    Skins are really in the eye of the beholder, but given this one has it's own racial included, I priced it higher
    BOI and PWI have pets ranging from $5-$25 all the way to hundreds of dollars if you feel like gambling(Zodiac pets anyone?)
    Respec's are pretty commonly $10, in Raiderz when not on sale they are almost $18
    Helper bundle for $5 is pretty generic given what is inside
    Character slots in a lot of games range from $5-$10 per character slot
    12 slot bag for $5 is underpricing it knowing PWI

Speculating that 1,000 AD = $1.00 on release, given the packages 'value' would still place 750,000 at $750 with a "$549" price tag is just shy of 50% bonus zen on your purchase before factoring in the packages 'reduced' value to $199.99

Troll is troll.

You've obviously decided to not invest in the game, enjoy the fruits of our labor and keep it to yourself.

Actually I did. I bought all 3 packs. But I don't give a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> about a forum title and I bought it on another account. I don't in any way give people an insight into my account information for security reasons. How does that blow the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of your theory? I don't agree that your price estimation are correct and may be off by as much as 25% to 30%. So because I disagreed with you and even did it respectfully I am a troll? I even reposted your numbers in another thread as a possible estimation. You can't take someone respectfully disagreeing with you without attacking them? Many of your numbers from your examples show up to a 80% margin for error. That is an outstanding margin for error. That is why I found your estimation inaccurate.
  • omfgnamessucksomfgnamessucks Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    "A fool and his money are soon parted" Shakespeare 1564-1616

"There is a sucker born every minute" P.T. Barnum 1810-1891

"Purchase a Neverwinter Founder's Pack today for exclusive Beta access, early Open Beta access, and more!" D&D Jan 30th 2013
    edited February 2013
    "A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity." - Robert A. Heinlein

"The jealous are troublesome to others, but a torment to themselves." - William Penn
  • shadow71shadow71 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited February 2013
    zentrasi wrote: »
    Except this ISN'T a Lifetime sub as those games have. I would have no hesitation buying this pack if it was in fact treated as a lifetime sub, granting free coins per month or whatever, but nowhere does it state that it is such.

It is simply a bundle pack and there is no way of knowing what it's true value is until the game is released. So it's a gamble at this point in time.

You know that is exactly what I thought of this whole situation. I have a lifetime account with STO however when I bought mine the game was P2P. My understanding is that this game is being treated like a P2P game without the perks of giving you something each month for the value of that 200 dollars you just dumped into it. Believe me if they would have said you will get a certain amount of coin per month I would have dumped my 200 into it however I see no point being that I am not interested in playing a Rogue. So I just payed the 60 dollars for the Guardian pack since it sounded resonable. It seems alittle strange to me that all they really had to do was come out in the beginning and tell people we need to change base of this game to buy to pay for 60 dollars. I for one believe they would have had way more people understanding and putting out their dollars to support them. Why can't companies be honest with their players?
    edited February 2013
    shadow71 wrote: »
    Believe me if they would have said you will get a certain amount of coin per month I would have dumped my 200 into it however I see no point being that I am not interested in playing a Rogue.

I am curious, what does not buying the $200 founders package have to do with playing a rogue?
    shadow71 wrote: »
    It seems alittle strange to me that all they really had to do was come out in the beginning and tell people we need to change base of this game to buy to pay for 60 dollars.

Most likely not. They are taking the chance that more people will come to a F2P and spend money and that amount will be higher than than the number of people who will buy a $60 game. They are most likely right.
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am curious, what does not buying the $200 founders package have to do with playing a rogue?
    People assumes weird stuff. The fact that Cryptic could have presented the information more clearly doesn't help.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    "A fool and his money are soon parted" Shakespeare 1564-1616

"There is a sucker born every minute" P.T. Barnum 1810-1891

"Purchase a Neverwinter Founder's Pack today for exclusive Beta access, early Open Beta access, and more!" D&D Jan 30th 2013

LOL at this!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drwarpeffectdrwarpeffect Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am also wondering what value is being placed on VIP beta access as it is not included in the $20 pack. Seems rather mean-spirited to not include it.
    edited February 2013
    shiaika wrote: »
    People assumes weird stuff. The fact that Cryptic could have presented the information more clearly doesn't help.

No doubt. That is why I asking for clarification before assuming this person had no idea what they were talking about :)
  • xaralleixarallei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hmmm, I'm guessing there is no way to get the cat companion other than through that pack? I'd love the cat, but I really don't want to pay $200 just for that (I'm rather ambivalent about the other things in the package). Now if you said the cash shop would have other cats (not necessarily the panther but other cat types), then that would be a huge relief at least.
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    750,000 / $449 = 1670 Astral Diamonds per $1.

That sounds about right to me.

Utterly not true. No way.

Astral Diamonds are the Q/Dilithium token system from CO/STO. And they cost anywhere between 50 to 500 of them per Zen (hard capped at those levels by Cryptic - how much they're worth at any one moment is based on the players). Or 50,000 to 500,000 of them per $1.

That said, they could be something entirely different. But based on how CO/STO play, I highly doubt it.
    edited February 2013
    You're comparing item demand from two rather old games to a game which is not on the market yet.

Dilithium and the CO equivalent have different values because the value is player driven. So with the knowledge that this game isn't on the market yet and nobody has advanced in the game I highly doubt many people will be willing to sell their Astral Diamonds as we saw in the early days of both CO and STO.

The current prices of STO/CO's Astral Diamond equivalent are much lower but they only got there after quite a few years. So it's very important to understand that while the concept of those items are the same they are, by no means, equivalent. STO/CO exchange rates are not a reliable means to gauge the price of Astral Diamonds. Unless, of course, you look at the launch prices of Dilithium and the CO equivalent.
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I just know Cryptic to take the path of 'least resistance' when it comes to things in general, and using the exact same values as CO/STO makes the most sense for them. Along with the 'refine' cap of only allowing you to get 8000 of them a day.

Either way, the 'retail value' that they showed next to the $60 and $200 packs is an absolute and utter made up value. $549. Hah.

But we'll see come Friday when beta opens.
    edited February 2013
    somebob wrote: »
    I just know Cryptic to take the path of 'least resistance' when it comes to things in general, and using the exact same values as CO/STO makes the most sense for them. Along with the 'refine' cap of only allowing you to get 8000 of them a day.

Either way, the 'retail value' that they showed next to the $60 and $200 packs is an absolute and utter made up value. $549. Hah.

But we'll see come Friday when beta opens.

It is most likely not a made up value, it is most likely an estimated value. There is a difference between the two.
    edited February 2013
    I agree with everything in your post except...
    using the exact same values as CO/STO makes the most sense for them.

Since the demand for Astral Diamonds will be far higher than the supply of sellers during the initial post-launch than STO/CO's equivalents it makes no sense. The value of AD will be far higher due to the basic concept of supply and demand.
    While the number might be made up, the STO/CO values are, frankly, even less accurate.

Also your numbers for the STO/CO exchange rate seem off according to other posters, including another one of the Community Moderators. I'm not sure what they are off the top of my head but others have done the math and posted their findings in various threads. 50K:1 is about the lowest rough gauge I saw. 500K:1 is way, way too low.

If you get me the exact values I'll be happy to double-check your math.