Install Arc
Options

Massivley posts about the latest dev blog

13»

Comments

• Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Then an easy way to lift many of the complaints and angst about the game is to remove the D&D name. The Devs are free to make whatever game they wish to make money but a game that has Neverwinter and D&D attached to it already comes with certain expectations. They use the name for selling the game and not that I have heard any Devs say this but have seen many besides above quote try to say it in their defense, that maybe D&D won't sell or won't translate. The aswer is easy then don't make a game with those names if you don't want the expectations that come with it. Personally, I think they did want those expectations.

That is just silly because I know D&D players that have just ridiculous expectations, and quite frankly there are hundreds of thousands of people that just isn't going to jump off a building if they don't get their perfect translation of the pen and paper game.

WotC wanted this game to be made, they sign off on everything, and Wotc still has many of the same folks who worked on 1st and 2nd ed, so it's been approved by the old guard, heck Gygax himself wanted a MMO version of Legendary Adventures and he was the first to say that a literal translation of PnP rules wouldn't be a heck of a lot of fun and wouldn't have enough people playing it to make it a worthwhile project.

I think this game is going to be extremely successful, despite a handful of "purist" getting upset and despite even the terribad marketing.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Honestly, I do not see any major problems in the marketing so far. What I see are people wanting more when there isn't more ready to give. I see a lot of senses of entitlement too. It seems to me that whenever a new game doesn't release all the info they have during pre & alpha testing, which is never, people always seem to cry foul. This is not exclusive to Neverwinter, I've seen this argument in every game I have been a part of testing in. Just my take.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    Honestly, I do not see any major problems in the marketing so far. What I see are people wanting more when there isn't more ready to give. I see a lot of senses of entitlement too. It seems to me that whenever a new game doesn't release all the info they have during pre & alpha testing, which is never, people always seem to cry foul. This is not exclusive to Neverwinter, I've seen this argument in every game I have been a part of testing in. Just my take.

Zeb you are the only Mod, and one of maybe four forum posters who think we are acting "entitled." I have been on both sides of the fence as customer and employee and yes there are major problems with marketing even a couple devs have told us that the frustration is warranted.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Zeb you are the only Mod, and one of maybe four forum posters who think we are acting "entitled." I have been on both sides of the fence as customer and employee and yes there are major problems with marketing even a couple devs have told us that the frustration is warranted.
    I'd actually appreciate it if you'd let others speak for themselves instead of always seemingly speaking for others. This helps nothing. I was giving my opinion as a user and reader here and as someone who has been in the gaming industry and media since the late 90's.

I haven't seen the marketing of this game do any major blunders, and the small ones that were seen were quickly remedied (alpha giveaway), yet the game still got flak for it. It is disheartening to constantly see these negative posts and attitude no matter what is done. The fact is plain and simple, the game isn't even in Beta yet and it is common knowledge that marketing doesn't really kick in, in an MMO, until Beta has begun and all that it entails.

To constantly decree the marketing is poor for a game that is still in development and hasn't yet entered public information release into beta, is quite perplexing since, as I said, it is common knowledge marketing doesn't really kick in until Beta and beyond.

Think about it, how can a marketing team really deliver the marketing that seems to be longed for when everything that would entail would be breaking the NDA of the internal testing. It would be folly to start releasing major marketing in a game that is apt to have many changes from internal testing to release.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    I'd actually appreciate it if you'd let others speak for themselves instead of always seemingly speaking for others. This helps nothing. I was giving my opinion as a user and reader here and as someone who has been in the gaming industry and media since the late 90's.

I haven't seen the marketing of this game do any major blunders, and the small ones that were seen were quickly remedied (alpha giveaway), yet the game still got flak for it. It is disheartening to constantly see these negative posts and attitude no matter what is done. The fact is plain and simple, the game isn't even in Beta yet and it is common knowledge that marketing doesn't really kick in, in an MMO, until Beta has begun and all that it entails.

To constantly decree the marketing is poor for a game that is still in development and hasn't yet entered public information release into beta, is quite perplexing since, as I said, it is common knowledge marketing doesn't really kick in until Beta and beyond.

Think about it, how can a marketing team really deliver the marketing that seems to be longed for when everything that would entail would be breaking the NDA of the internal testing. It would be folly to start releasing major marketing in a game that is apt to have many changes from internal testing to release.

Being publicly scolded by someone with Mod powers helps nothing either, you also seem to be the only mod that does that as well.

If I am breaking the rules edit my post or send me a warning which I will then take up with SS, if you want to bicker we can take it to PM, but stop trying to silence people who aren't drum beating for cryptic...it kinda makes you look like a paid man; Truth and the rest don't do that and they have my respect for it, even though we disagree on certain things.

Now that's out of the way here are some facts:

Despite your industry experience; Alphas are almost never handled the way Cryptic or PWE is handling this one, especially by a developer who has produced four major titles and is renowned for their interaction with the community even when that community is screaming for blood (STO launch anyone?) devs never promise multiple times more information soon and go silent for weeks, also this game has had more delays than any other MMO I have seen with the exception of Dark and Light, and we all know how that one turned out, also you never ever draw people to your site with a promotion and then go silent, it is the single worst rookie mistake any developer can make,and Cryptic isn't a collection of rookies, they know better than this. Finally here is a newsflash:

Very accurate detailed information is being released, the NDA isn't only being broken it's being shattered, and that news is the only thing that is keeping many of us here (yes I'm speaking for others so sue me) Cryptic’s marketing is achieving nothing by going dark other than to create frustration in the community (Frustration that several devs have said they understood, yet you the Mod can't) and make people in the community think that they have to go elsewhere for information or when they do come here and complain about the disturbing lack of interaction with the community they get shouted down by the man with the green forum handle, you can say that you are speaking as a forum user, but as long as you are a mod, folks aren't going to see it that way. With your considerable experience you should know that, at least I hope you do.

See my point? Probably not.

I'm sure you don't agree with any of this or you have some sort of justification, save it please, I am not to my knowledge violating any forum rules and will continue to speak on this, I know you have a different view and think cryptic is on the right path, we disagree. Let’s just leave it at that.
  • Options
    tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    That is just silly because I know D&D players that have just ridiculous expectations, and quite frankly there are hundreds of thousands of people that just isn't going to jump off a building if they don't get their perfect translation of the pen and paper game.

WotC wanted this game to be made, they sign off on everything, and Wotc still has many of the same folks who worked on 1st and 2nd ed, so it's been approved by the old guard, heck Gygax himself wanted a MMO version of Legendary Adventures and he was the first to say that a literal translation of PnP rules wouldn't be a heck of a lot of fun and wouldn't have enough people playing it to make it a worthwhile project.

I think this game is going to be extremely successful, despite a handful of "purist" getting upset and despite even the terribad marketing.

Evidently I didn't communicate my thought very well and I'm too tired tonight to try and figure out how to reword it so I'll just say this.
    I'm no rules lawyer and I can count the number of times I've played 4.0 on my thumbs. I've spent/spend most of my time playing in homebrews so I don't mind a few liberties taken here and there. I don't recall saying the translation had to be literal but whether it is computer or PnP you should arrive at the same destination even if you take different paths.

I agree it will be a successful game given the depth of the world they are choosing to create a game around. I will probably enjoy playing it myself even if it fails to live up to what I think the feel of a D&D game is so long as it has what I consider a key component of D&D and that is versatility. In D&D you have many character classes to choose from and many ways to play each class, I would hope that will be true in this game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • Options
    bluesteel8bluesteel8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Anyone catch that bears game on the weekend >.>
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    The Older Gamers (25+) - Never too old to play games
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Evidently I didn't communicate my thought very well and I'm too tired tonight to try and figure out how to reword it so I'll just say this.
    I'm no rules lawyer and I can count the number of times I've played 4.0 on my thumbs. I've spent/spend most of my time playing in homebrews so I don't mind a few liberties taken here and there. I don't recall saying the translation had to be literal but whether it is computer or PnP you should arrive at the same destination even if you take different paths.

I agree it will be a successful game given the depth of the world they are choosing to create a game around. I will probably enjoy playing it myself even if it fails to live up to what I think the feel of a D&D game is so long as it has what I consider a key component of D&D and that is versatility. In D&D you have many character classes to choose from and many ways to play each class, I would hope that will be true in this game.

No man it's cool I do see your points, and think you see mine we're just coming at it from different angles is all.
    bluesteel8 wrote: »
    Anyone catch that bears game on the weekend >.>

We're they owlbears?
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Eeek. I come back from three days of work and playing Magic the Gathering and these are the first posts I get to read :eek:

It's been my song and dance since before I started moderating the forums that any released information has to be considered final. The only thing worse than giving out no information in the early stages is giving out information that changes because every single thing a company says is promissory in the eyes of the communities at large.
    I hate being cruel and stereotypical but the gaming community will cling on to every single bit of information by developers. In other MMO's that have been out for years you can find players crying foul for game changes years previous.

There are plenty of understanding people within the gaming community which deserve could be given information freely but sadly they are in the minority. The majority by far take every detail to heart and expect nothing more and nothing less than what they were told.

I don't have a problem with their marketing to date because there's not much to market. Most details aren't finalized and ready for public release. That's not to say there haven't been blunders but those blunders were fixed in a decent amount of time such as the Alpha Giveaway.

As for how Alpha is being handled, it's not that far off. It is being butchered only by people who don't read past 'come play the game' other than to scroll to a download link/key/whatever, but to my knowledge that's about the extent of the butchering. There's very, very few instances of actual content leaks. The majority are people posting they have access in public.

In the end, everything here is pretty standard. Players tend to forget the bad experiences on past games; particularly in the Beta Stages. I can't tell you how many times in the last six months I have seen people switch from raving about Cryptic's marketing to crying foul on an almost bi-weekly basis. I won't call anybody out but I have seen it over and over again.
    I really do hate being stereotypical but there's this false nostalgia or something in every single game I have played in which no matter what the here and now was the worst they have ever been treated. The developers always cared more in the past, in other games, other developers had such better PR. This is the song and dance by every single game community, always.

Over the years I have considered why this happens and my best guess is that it is very similar to movie/TV Series releases. I remember going 'Oh no Ironman won't be out for two years *grumble*' and now it has been fives, yes five, years since the original Ironman has been released. If I don't think in terms of a 2008 release I'd say it was last year. George Carlin died that same year as well...unbelievable! I just looked that up because I thought he died two years ago.
    I think players forget how long everything takes to be announced. They forget that every announcement can take weeks if not months in the earlier stages and expect updates as if the game is an open book. They forget the bad as soon as it's no longer pertinent to their situation...

I am not seeing a single thing happening to Neverwinter that I didn't see on any other game before it's release.
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    The mods do have a point. The ultimate question with regards to the marketing of NWO is, at this particular point in development what EXACTLY is the information you are expecting to be released WITHOUT breaking NDA? Can't really ask for screenshots, unless they are already about confirmed announcements (not subject to change). Can't ask for class/skill/gear lists, as they are subject to change. Hell, even beta dates are still subject to change!

So WHY is everything still subject to change? ---> Why is nothing finalized? ---> Is everything still changing? ---> Why is alpha/these changes taking so long? Some might say they're trying to get it as close to "D&D" as they can. Know what I say to that? This is Neverwinter first, and D&D second. Through all editions of pnp, lore continues to expand and go on, adding more and more along the way, while the rules are ALWAYS changing.

What is D&D about then? The rules. The constantly changing/always evolving rules. We've played enough D&D games by now to disregard discrepancies within the editions when we see them in video games. That's because if you want a perfect game, you should get off the computer and grab your friends and dice.

Maybe marketing IS doing all they can within their restrictions. Then the devs are taking too long complicating things to fit the game, when it should be fit the name (aka Neverwinter). If we want "D&D" for a video game, I imagine it'll be along the lines of RPGMaker or something. Maybe it's not the devs fault, but rather having a hard time getting WotC to approve any changes. Couple that with the fact that strings are being pulled by the puppet master in the background (PWE). My final concern is that too many delays sometimes equal cancellation, even when games are this close to done, or even closer (SNES Starfox 2 or The Last Guardian, among others.)
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ...So WHY is everything still subject to change? ---> Why is nothing finalized? ---> Is everything still changing? ---> Why is alpha/these changes taking so long? ...

This is because game is not made by 1 person but many teams So while in the internal testing (unit testing) there may not have been any bug and everything might be working fine - however, when you bring them together for beta testing, there are bound to be bugs - some very resource consuming to solve leading to dropping of features : some of which if revealed, would make the players get attached to.

Or in simple words, because the devs don't want to be lynched by angry mobs for working harder than they could have gotten away with.
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Those questions were meant to be rhetorical in order to show the reason why we're not getting new info quicker from an authoritative source, i.e. due to NDA. Personally, I have the patience of a Tibetan monk and can wait until the theoretical "release" date to play the game, but the consensus in general is "What's taking so damn long to confirm ANYTHING?" Yes, rhetorical. MMO's have more tests that need to be done in general before release as compared to single player games. But perhaps instead of getting everything done at once, they could throw some meat into the cellar for us once in a while. Focus on confirming and releasing small bits of information at a time rather than prolonged silences with rumors of "are they dead yet" floating around.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Eeek. I come back from three days of work and playing Magic the Gathering and these are the first posts I get to read :eek:

It's been my song and dance since before I started moderating the forums that any released information has to be considered final. The only thing worse than giving out no information in the early stages is giving out information that changes because every single thing a company says is promissory in the eyes of the communities at large.
    I hate being cruel and stereotypical but the gaming community will cling on to every single bit of information by developers. In other MMO's that have been out for years you can find players crying foul for game changes years previous.

There are plenty of understanding people within the gaming community which deserve could be given information freely but sadly they are in the minority. The majority by far take every detail to heart and expect nothing more and nothing less than what they were told.

I don't have a problem with their marketing to date because there's not much to market. Most details aren't finalized and ready for public release. That's not to say there haven't been blunders but those blunders were fixed in a decent amount of time such as the Alpha Giveaway.

As for how Alpha is being handled, it's not that far off. It is being butchered only by people who don't read past 'come play the game' other than to scroll to a download link/key/whatever, but to my knowledge that's about the extent of the butchering. There's very, very few instances of actual content leaks. The majority are people posting they have access in public.

In the end, everything here is pretty standard. Players tend to forget the bad experiences on past games; particularly in the Beta Stages. I can't tell you how many times in the last six months I have seen people switch from raving about Cryptic's marketing to crying foul on an almost bi-weekly basis. I won't call anybody out but I have seen it over and over again.
    I really do hate being stereotypical but there's this false nostalgia or something in every single game I have played in which no matter what the here and now was the worst they have ever been treated. The developers always cared more in the past, in other games, other developers had such better PR. This is the song and dance by every single game community, always.

Over the years I have considered why this happens and my best guess is that it is very similar to movie/TV Series releases. I remember going 'Oh no Ironman won't be out for two years *grumble*' and now it has been fives, yes five, years since the original Ironman has been released. If I don't think in terms of a 2008 release I'd say it was last year. George Carlin died that same year as well...unbelievable! I just looked that up because I thought he died two years ago.
    I think players forget how long everything takes to be announced. They forget that every announcement can take weeks if not months in the earlier stages and expect updates as if the game is an open book. They forget the bad as soon as it's no longer pertinent to their situation...

I am not seeing a single thing happening to Neverwinter that I didn't see on any other game before it's release.

I stand with Ambi on this response.

As for the rest. All I can say is thy have to get the features done right. Can't say I understand the PR methods though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    /SNIP
    Very accurate detailed information is being released, the NDA isn't only being broken it's being shattered, and that news is the only thing that is keeping many of us here.

Very good point. One of the main reasons I am still following/looking forward to this game is that a F&F tester has been dropping hints for months on Massively. He has so much praise for the game, that I can't wait. His insights into the Marketing is pretty entertaining as well. Let's just say this; if I had to rely on Cryptics Marketing team for info, I would have scratched this game off my list along time ago. So Cryptic can thank the NDA breakers for their free and effective marketing I guess.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    Very good point. One of the main reasons I am still following/looking forward to this game is that a F&F tester has been dropping hints for months on Massively. ...

well.... he can just be lying about being alpha member... :p

But hints are not as bad as releasing videos imo, as long as NDA is not broken. hints(text) cannot be taken as a proof to attack the company later as a source of info (this was there why no have this any longer :( ?)

As far as it is about the game, I have complete faith it would be awesome.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    ...I don't have a problem with their marketing to date because there's not much to market. ...

Its all about The Lost Hype Train (cool name fr a foundry mission :p )

If you check any gaming forums, recently announced games like ESO have much more threads cumulatively as compared to NW - though they have just been announced as compared to NW (gaming and not official forums where just a few fans keep posting back and forth). And NW has been announced for how long? More than 2 years I believe.

It is a marketing failure for sure. however, good thing is, it is not very very bad - and it is improving. Game is good enough to hold its ground, so even if marketing is lacklusture, as long as they don't make too many blunders - the game should hold the ground on its own. That is why marketing is playing very very safe - by not doing anything much at all.