test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The sword coast

ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Post edited by ryvvik on

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ryvvik wrote: »

Cool ryvvik!

Imo, they are enough for launch, though I think they will add more zones overtime (or maybe before launch).

Personally the places I would like to visit are:-
    Helm's Hold
    Vellosk
    Rothe Valley
    Icespire peaks

in that order.
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    luskan_zps337ecc74.jpg

Ahhh there it is
  • mnaticmnatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 233 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Luskan would be very cool.
    Skkkkkeeerrrrvvyyyyyy, AAAAAArrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i hope they will put few more zones .and looks like icespear peak will be my favorite zone for now
    edited January 2013
    I think I read somewhere that crypticmapolis's best zone was pirate's skyhold.

EDIT: And @ mnatic I wonder if you know that Luskan is more in ruins, rather than a city.
  • yinyyiny Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Need a Port Llast
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Currently: Lilyth Lightlorn@dreasimy of Hammerfist Clan.
    Formerly Neverwinterly Known As: Allsfaire of KORT ITB Lilyth Tr1sta of House Fey-Branche Sednablood of BDA NWT Cyane
    edited January 2013
    yiny wrote: »
    Need a Port Llast

Was completely destroyed and buried. Sorry.
  • yinyyiny Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I thought I just saw it mentioned in the 2nd or 3rd Neverwinter book by Salvatore, isn't that the timeline we are in? Anyway, if you have a reference I'd like to see it so I'm up on whatever our reality really is.
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Was completely destroyed and buried. Sorry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Formerly Neverwinterly Known As: Allsfaire of KORT ITB Lilyth Tr1sta of House Fey-Branche Sednablood of BDA NWT Cyane
    edited January 2013
    I thought I just saw it mentioned in the 2nd or 3rd Neverwinter book by Salvatore, isn't that the timeline we are in? Anyway, if you have a reference I'd like to see it so I'm up on whatever our reality really is.

I created this entry in the Neverwinter wiki a long time back on port Llast:-
    As Abeir has now merged with Toril, appearence of a new continent in west changed the tides in the sea bringing slit to the harbor of Port Llast. This made it less accessible for trade. With citizens leaving the city and the dangers of marauding tribes, the town became empty. The port city is now a ghost town and rumored to be the realm of the evil sea goddess Umberlee and also as a home to a variety of sea monsters.

This is its known status in 1479 DR.
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I wonder if WaterDeep will ever be added
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    I created this entry in the Neverwinter wiki a long time back on port Llast:-

This is its known status in 1479 DR.

Ok so as reference you are giving me something you wrote on the internet. I'm asking where you got the info from so I can read it too. Also, it says it's a ghost town, sounds like a good place to have adventures. Why does that mean it can't be added to the game map? Just because it's different than it used to be doesn't mean the area isn't still called Port Llast and you can go there to kill monsters and find nifty old things buried in who knows what :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited January 2013
    Ok so as reference you are giving me something you wrote on the internet. I'm asking where you got the info from so I can read it too. Also, it says it's a ghost town, sounds like a good place to have adventures. Why does that mean it can't be added to the game map? Just because it's different than it used to be doesn't mean the area isn't still called Port Llast and you can go there to kill monsters and find nifty old things buried in who knows what :)

Well I am not really sure of the source because there is no one place for New Neverwinter to pick up info on... but iirc it was either from 4e FRCG, or 4e NWCG, or Dragon magzine. If not at any of these places, it must be from somewhere else - like uh... somewhere.

But it was definitely from somewhere and I ask you to take it on faith as a Selunite won't lie.

Yes, I never said it can't be on the map - it can be. Just informing you it is not a "Port" or "Settlement" anymore - just a place inhabited by amphibious creatures worshiping Umberlee - and the town has been destroyed and buried.

EDIT: or can be 4e FRPHB also.
  • crypticmapoliscrypticmapolis Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 240 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2013
    Waterdeep has been discussed as a possible future zone. Cities are generally the most difficult environments to make though, so it would be down the road a bit. There are just so many amazing places in Forgotten Realms, it's difficult to choose what to add to the game first :)
    edited January 2013
    Waterdeep has been discussed as a possible future zone. Cities are generally the most difficult environments to make though, so it would be down the road a bit. There are just so many amazing places in Forgotten Realms, it's difficult to choose what to add to the game first :)

Well I figured it would be a while down the road and I am glad you are considering it

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013

With time please add Amn, Baldur's Gate, Calimshan .... and slowly slowly enroach on Tymanthar, Cormyr and those other places. Then we can finally fight Netheril where they destroyed Moonhall and us Selunites can have our revenge by bathing in the blood and guts of Sharites....
    *is carried away by Reformation wing of Selunites*
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, I'd like to see the world map slowly grow east until it reaches and encompasses Aglarond and Rashemen. Then I'd like to start heading south until it reaches and encompasses the Shining South. After that, I'd like to see the world map open up to Kara-Tur, Chult, Evermeet and eventually Al-Quadim. Let's not forget the Underdark in this whole process too, as each Region offers new things to be added to the Underdark also.

After a lot of the main continent of the World is opened up, I'd then like to see focus put on the Remaining Planes and the new Astral Sea and the domains of the Gods therein. After that, I'd then like to see focus put back on the World itself and evolve it to bring it up to the current Timeline that will be introduced in D&D Next in 2014.
    edited January 2013
    Killing Asmodeus would be fun

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think I am severely confused here. Between this post and the post on travel/porting I am wondering if all of the "open" area shown on the map will actually be available for exploration, or if the "zones" (instances) will be the only areas we can go. Will they be fairly large like GW or DDO's outdoor areas? Or is the map basically like EQ2's in that the entire thing can be checked out, with the instances simply being highlighted on the map.

Basically is it an actual open MMORPG like EQ/EQ2 or is it a MMOLBG (MMOLobbyBasedGame) like DDO and GW? Some comments I have seen are making me think this is going to be more like an MMOLBG, which will sadden the explorer in me.

I was under the impression it was more like EQ2 in that it was open, with instanced "Boss Zones", but now I am not so sure.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Strange, I never considered DDO or GW to be a Lobby game. When I think of Lobby games, I think of things like League of Legends or Halo where you sit in a lobby and wait for a team to fill up and then load a map and fight. With this in mind as my perception of a Lobby game, I can assure you, Neverwinter Online is not a Lobby Game.
    edited January 2013
    muzrub333 wrote: »

Basically is it an actual open MMORPG like EQ/EQ2 or is it a MMOLBG (MMOLobbyBasedGame) like DDO and GW? Some comments I have seen are making me think this is going to be more like an MMOLBG, which will sadden the explorer in me.

Sorry for my terminology, but if you mean the game be 100% instanced or not, then no.

There would be spawning bosses who you fight for spawns and instanced dungeons, sewers etc.

However, it is not all open world as crypticmapolis said before - Sword coast is too vast to make a single open world for all. So if you go to vellosk fro Nevewinter city gate, you will be telported to Vellosk which will have its own "open world wilderness" which will basically be a large map covered from sides by large mountains or trees, with enterences to instances. In this large map, there will be mobs, things to do, traps etc.

-- from replies and talk to crypticmapolis earlier.

EDIT: tch.. ninjaed.
    edited January 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    Strange, I never considered DDO or GW to be a Lobby game. When I think of Lobby games, I think of things like League of Legends or Halo where you sit in a lobby and wait for a team to fill up and then load a map and fight. With this in mind as my perception of a Lobby game, I can assure you, Neverwinter Online is not a Lobby Game.

Okay, but that doesn't answer if it's a lobby game according to my perception...is it like DDO/GW or more like EQ2 ish? In other words is it a small main open area like GW where you wait to find a group to go into a large(ish) instanced area, or a large contiguous open area with attached smaller instanced areas like EQ2. :)

Honest, my blood sugar must have crashed, because even Truths FAQ is not helping here. /sigh
    edited January 2013
    Sorry for my terminology, but if you mean the game be 100% instanced or not, then no.

There would be spawning bosses who you fight for spawns and instanced dungeons, sewers etc.

However, it is not all open world as crypticmapolis said before - Sword coast is too vast to make a single open world for all. So if you go to vellosk fro Nevewinter city gate, you will be telported to Vellosk which will have its own "open world wilderness" which will basically be a large map covered from sides by large mountains or trees, with enterences to instances. In this large map, there will be mobs, things to do, traps etc.

Ahhh okay, in a very loose way similar to how you had PoT in EQ, and could port to each "zone" via the books, just without the option of going to them overland/sea. If that's what we are looking at I can live with that. Not ideal, but what game ever is.
    edited January 2013
    Okay, but that doesn't answer if it's a lobby game according to my perception...is it like DDO/GW or more like EQ2 ish? In other words is it a small main open area like GW where you wait to find a group to go into a large(ish) instanced area, or a large contiguous open area with attached smaller instanced areas like EQ2. :)

Honest, my blood sugar must have crashed, because even Truths FAQ is not helping here. /sigh

More like Largish area with things to do with small and large caves/dungeons attached. If you see maps of playthroughs, the open areas are quite large-ish. Something like if you run, it might take you 5 minutes to run straight diagonally without breaks.
    Ahhh okay, in a very loose way similar to how you had PoT in EQ, and could port to each "zone" via the books, just without the option of going to them overland/sea. If that's what we are looking at I can live with that. Not ideal, but what game ever is.

Yeah something to prevent you from leaving some largish area - which is as large as say the dev crypticmapolis said, "It is quite large"
    edited January 2013

Howdy,

I am sorry but the best answer I can give you, I already gave - but since you're registered here on the PWE Web Site, you might be selected for Closed Beta and be able to find out first-hand. :)
  • aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    EQ2 is/was a great way! I personally really liked the zone sizes. Large, massive even, zones with smaller quest zones off of them. I hope NWO is doing things that way too. I'd prefer no zoning, but if they're using zones, then I hope the adopt EQ2's method. Or something new and even better of course. I just can't imagine what that would be.
    edited January 2013
    aescleal wrote: »
    ... I'd prefer no zoning, but if they're using zones, ...

Yeah, actually we were demanding an open world when crypticmapolis made us realize that such a thing is not possible in D&D as D&D is very very vast. So designing whole sword coast will take WotC years, not to talk about the developers modelling them and the money it will take...
  • vinsinarvinsinar Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited January 2013

hmmm this some what concerns me sounds similar to DDO which the only thing I really disliked about that game was everything was instanced. It only felt like an MMO while you were in the city. Games today like Rift and GW2 do a much better job of blending the world together.

If the zones are the size of say the commonlands in EQ EQ2 and open world type then maybe that works. Even if that is the case it seems like 8 zones not counting the 4 city zones seems on the low side for launch.
    edited January 2013
    vinsinar wrote: »
    hmmm this some what concerns me sounds similar to DDO which the only thing ....

Think of it as a DDO where you can go to gianthold explorer area with 100s of players and fight with them for spawn bosses (who spawn instead of instancing). Now multiply that area by a few(unknown) times, and you have an idea of what NW would be in open areas.
  • nimlohnimloh Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I was hoping to see Sharandar.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013

That would be tough to pull off but if anyone could it would be you guys...that would have to be a major expansion, Waterdeep undermountian, Skullport, The Lords.....

It could very well be Cryptic's Sargent Peppers.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!