test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Release Date

13»

Comments

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    aeroth001 wrote: »
    And who's fault is it that they don't start that beta and alpha until now ?

This is misinformation. Alpha has been going on for quite some time, at least two years now since it was officially announced as being designed a couple years ago. Alpha, just like Beta, has its stages.
  • Options
    tethiyeltethiyel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31
    edited January 2013
    I still say February 29th

You made me have to check the calendar to make sure it wasn't a leap year. ;-;
    "What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause? To use their own knowledge against them?"
  • Options
    aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    vinsinar wrote: »
    There is no fault here. A game is never late, nor is it early it arrives precisely when it means to

That remains to be seen on the quality of the game. If the game is average at best then the "fault" will exist if the game is amazing nobody will care about delays.
  • Options
    shiarieshiarie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would much rather have a finished game than a rushed one...that generally means fewer shutdowns to fix bugs. I've been watching this site since October 2010, and if I can wait this long to see CB close to starting then I can wait another year if need be for release. (although I pray to any of the gods that will listen that it doesn't take another year). By the way, only reason I'm ever interested in beta is it means that the game is that much closer to release...I just don't have the patience to participate in beta.

I just want to know a month in advance (if at all possible) what the release date is...I still have a vacation left to use this year and need that much time to schedule it ;) Chances are though, it'll be a surprise.
  • Options
    starkillianstarkillian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    So posting we want the game to come out "now" is some how misinformation and bad. Got it, I will just stop posting now lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rickmanrickman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    aeroth001 wrote: »
    That remains to be seen on the quality of the game. If the game is average at best then the "fault" will exist if the game is amazing nobody will care about delays.

Not Directed at anyone in Particular... But i thought i'd Say it anyway..

Here's an Idea... Don't expect more then the average. NO Game will ever meet your expectations in every aspect, and if it does... Then Stop thinking about it too much and just enjoy it when it comes.
    I'm Always surprised how people can say "(Insert MMS of Choice) is the best Ever and will be" and then complain about it being lackluster... If you don't make it out too be the second coming/the first coming of the videogame messiah then you might be surprised by its quality. Or not... In the end only you can judge a Game and judging it before you get too play/test it can lead too alot of self-inflicted pain.

TLDR; Don't overhype the game in your own mind.

(And again... this is just a general post not directed at anyone)
    Diplomancy: Sometimes "I hit it with my Axe" is the only Answer.
    A Challenge is something interesting and awkward until you beat it... then it's called "Repetative"

Neverwinter on TVTropes(Needs some loving)
    Neverwinter Nights on TVTropes
  • Options
    gaymer87gaymer87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 291 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    rickman wrote: »
    Not Directed at anyone in Particular... But i thought i'd Say it anyway..

Here's an Idea... Don't expect more then the average. NO Game will ever meet your expectations in every aspect, and if it does... Then Stop thinking about it too much and just enjoy it when it comes.
    I'm Always surprised how people can say "(Insert MMS of Choice) is the best Ever and will be" and then complain about it being lackluster... If you don't make it out too be the second coming/the first coming of the videogame messiah then you might be surprised by its quality. Or not... In the end only you can judge a Game and judging it before you get too play/test it can lead too alot of self-inflicted pain.

TLDR; Don't overhype the game in your own mind.

(And again... this is just a general post not directed at anyone)

this needs to be directed at everyone. Yeah I am sure most are trolls, but still. I find it amusing how little of a life people have outside of video games and the virtual world. The game is going to come out when it is going to come out and it is not going to be perfect.
    *~Ezenkrul Kor'hedron -Drow Sorcerer~* **on hold**
    *~Serixil Kor'hedron- Drow Trickster~*
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Alright, here's a few factoids and words of wisdom. Unbiased, non-specific completely lacking any personal opinion, defense or attack.

1. Friends and Family Alpha has been going on for months. The only change is that it's officially public info now.

2. The game can only advance as fast as it advances. If development set-backs delay the game it doesn't benefit anybody to say move on to the next phase anyway. Optimistic goals are good and will keep developers from being too lax but if it ends up too optimistic then it's as simple as that.

3. It's easy for things to surpass low expectations. It's hard for things to meet high expecations. This is a very psychological argument which I am throwing out as food for thought but not directly relating to Neverwinter.
    I'm not saying the game won't be great, rather that chances are it won't be if you think it's the sun moon and stars before you play it. That's the nature of life.

While some of you may feel like we, the mods, are being overbearing that's merely a perception and not an intention. Although sometimes our comments could be worded more politely we are giving direct information even if it is a little cryptically. We are first and foremost members of the community and we do give you every bit of information we can without getting our necks strung up.

So next time you think we're pushing our opinions too much think about why we might have these opinions. At the very least I can tell you the developers do not feel the game is ready to be Beta Tested and that means more than publicly announced goals from six months ago.

Sometimes **** happens. Not happy? I don't blame you but I do ask that you understand that this is the way of the industry. At some point you have to put desires on the backburner and accept that if the game is still in Alpha Testing it means that the developers feel, "If we released the game now then players wouldn't enjoy it as much as they should."

I hope you all can look at this post as a moderator, your community representive, passing on information to you all in the attempts to not leave you in the dark. Understand this is what all four of us have done as much as we could in virtually every response any of you feel is overly biased defending Cryptic.

I guess I'll end this with three promises.

1. I promise you all that the game is still in Alpha. It is not by any means some secret Closed Beta as some of the conspiracy theorists believe. I swear that on my life.

2. We are getting close to the Beta Tests. I don't know how close because it's kept secret even from us at this point. All I can say is back in October I knew we were far from Beta Testing and now I can't tell.

3. Lastly, and most importantly, there is no rule that we have to support Cryptic or can't speak against them. Whenever I defend them it is entirely by my choice and it's due to my past experience and has nothing to do with any fanboiisms. I have never defended Cryptic when I felt they were wrong but I do have to continue to keep the discussion civil.

Hopefully this can settle the bitterness some of you have towards us.
  • Options
    daosagedaosage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 62
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for the fair post that offered some perspective, Ab. Unfortunately, sometimes people can develop a sense of entitlement for a time investment they've made staring at message boards, reading websites and watching videos. It's weird, but it happens a lot. We're not OWED anything. Excitement shouldn't turn into some sense of slighted bitterness. Be excited and find some patience... which can be hard. ;)
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    While some of you may feel like we, the mods, are being overbearing that's merely a perception and not an intention. Although sometimes our comments could be worded more politely we are giving direct information even if it is a little cryptically. ...

Thanks Ambi and other mods for doing this.

However I wonder if you can also "cryptically reveal" without getting in trouble somehow (use some bardic lore :p ) if feedback in alpha testing, i.e. suggestions and such, are being implemented (especially if it has been going for long)?
  • Options
    rickmanrickman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gaymer87 wrote: »
    this needs to be directed at everyone. Yeah I am sure most are trolls, but still. I find it amusing how little of a life people have outside of video games and the virtual world. The game is going to come out when it is going to come out and it is not going to be perfect.

Personally for me... i have no life outside of Games, I'm Unemployed, and have a Condition that means everything i do constantly hurts.
    Diplomancy: Sometimes "I hit it with my Axe" is the only Answer.
    A Challenge is something interesting and awkward until you beat it... then it's called "Repetative"

Neverwinter on TVTropes(Needs some loving)
    Neverwinter Nights on TVTropes
  • Options
    gaymer87gaymer87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 291 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I completely understand that, but people take things way too personally. In most cases they are not in your situation, but gamers are becoming such babies, trolls and have this silver platter mentality. My posts wont change anything, but I find it highly amusing nonetheless.
    Game companies don't owe us anything and they have quite a large audience to try and please. Play the game or don't. Pantience is easy to come by, quit being so entitled.
    *~Ezenkrul Kor'hedron -Drow Sorcerer~* **on hold**
    *~Serixil Kor'hedron- Drow Trickster~*
  • Options
    shadow71shadow71 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited January 2013
    Early usually mean Q1 which is the first 4 months of the year so anywhere from January to April could be used as a release date.

Actually no Q1 means Jan,Feb,Mar; Q2 means Apr,May,Jun; Q3 means July,Aug,Sept; and Q4 means Oct,Nov,Dec
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    WHere does this Q1 comes from? All I heard was early 2013.
  • Options
    lordgrimmwoodlordgrimmwood Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    You know I'm reminded of a quote by philosopher George Santayana who said "Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it". I guess in this context we can use it to refer to certain mmo's. Many games have been released unfinished, even after the beta testers tell the developers the games were not ready. Some due to pressure to appease anxious players, but more often then not by the executives trying to push for a certain deadline. I'll not say the names of the games or of the companies, mostly because I don't want to break some inflammatory rule the mods may have for these forums. My point is this, It seems that this game is being done at a good and steady pace. Is it a pace most of us want? No, but that's the way it is. I'd rather have a good finished game, then an early unfinished one that will surely incite even more anger from its players.
    tumblr_mm7g22WQog1spm248o1_1280.png

My first Foundry mission, The Valley of Darkness NW-DG9DOTZLU
  • Options
    cosmictimbercosmictimber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    You know I'm reminded of a quote by philosopher George Santayana who said "Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it". I guess in this context we can use it to refer to certain mmo's. Many games have been released unfinished, even after the beta testers tell the developers the games were not ready. Some due to pressure to appease anxious players, but more often then not by the executives trying to push for a certain deadline. I'll not say the names of the games or of the companies, mostly because I don't want to break some inflammatory rule the mods may have for these forums. My point is this, It seems that this game is being done at a good and steady pace. Is it a pace most of us want? No, but that's the way it is. I'd rather have a good finished game, then an early unfinished one that will surely incite even more anger from its players.

yep... but this is par for the course with any mmo-wait. People want it good and they want it yesterday. So people get anxious.

I want the game to be good, and I want it yesterday (a few months ago really).... but I realize that regardless of what I want... I'm still going to have to wait. So I try not to complain.

today i REEEEEEAAAAAALLLLY want the game though... just sayin.
  • Options
    acctingman1969acctingman1969 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    and have a Condition that means everything i do constantly hurts.

You're married? :p
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Personally for me... i have no life outside of Games, I'm Unemployed, and have a Condition that means everything i do constantly hurts.

I'm right there with ya, severe osteoarthritis with the arthritis fusing my vertebre and causing bone spurs all over my body's bones. Everything I do, from just as little as typing or wielding a mouse, hurts. Just sitting up or even laying down doing nothing, hurts. Everything hurts, so please do know you're not alone in this as I know how horrible it can be both mentally and physically to constantly be in pain. One good thing, for I always try and look on the bright side of things, I have an extremely high pain tolerance now having had this condition for over 15 years now.
    You're married? :p

*chuckles madly*

My personal opinion just as a reader and not as a moderator or anything is that the game is getting quite close to public testing. It's hard to speculate about closed beta, I'd be surprised however if we weren't in open beta within the next two or three months with release around May or June.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    i REEEEEEAAAAAALLLLY want the game though... just sayin.

Oh trust me, I reallllly wanna play this game too lol

• Options
    cosmictimbercosmictimber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Oh trust me, I reallllly wanna play this game too lol

yeah, i wasn't suggesting that anyone else is less excited or anything :)
    every time i watch this video in particular i go into drool-mode
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pn7iU4EwTc
  • Options
    daosagedaosage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 62
    edited January 2013
    I don't think any of us are here tearing through message board threads because we're NOT excited to get our hands on this game. I dream in Foundry-walkthrough YouTube videos these days. I log onto WoW for raid-time and my heart is NOWHERE close to there. We're all anxious, but owed nothing.

Delays ALWAYS have a silver lining, though. Time to work out bugs, flesh out storylines, balance mechanics, add a pvp-system, etc... Delays, from OUR standpoint, SUCK... Suck out loud. But they're a necessary evil to make sure we're getting the best possible product we can get. Word of mouth is a large part of MMO popularity, and if they put out an unfinished <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for any kind of beta (beta meaning they're way closer to launch than not), then word of mouth will be largely negative and drive away potential players.

The only thing I wish for in the time leading up to the closed-beta, is more frequently updated News. Having a few new teaser videos or Dev Blog posts would be great. The excitement the devs show in videos and give up in interviews is an energy they can harness by getting US more excited through new updates. It doesn't have to be about anything they're trying to keep under wraps, but infect us with that excitement that they have and people will handle the wait with a little more patience (in theory).
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Gahhh double posted, sorry

• Options
    edited January 2013
    yeah, i wasn't suggesting that anyone else is less excited or anything :)
    every time i watch this video in particular i go into drool-mode
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pn7iU4EwTc

As if I wasn't excited enough for this game ;)

• Options
    tilidustilidus Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Is there any official release date ,or in March we'll get info that the launch will be in 2014 and then in 2015 and so on..?
    The box should cost, maybe it would let off faster...
  • Options
    bluesteel8bluesteel8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Same question over and over lol, dont get me wrong Im at my PC everyday waiting for this answer but it will be released when it's ready. If you are looking for an official release date, the answer would be on the front homepage, when it's ready.

But I can feel Beta is sooooo close now.
    tilidus wrote: »
    Is there any official release date ,or in March we'll get info that the launch will be in 2014 and then in 2015 and so on..?
    The box should cost, maybe it would let off faster...
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    The Older Gamers (25+) - Never too old to play games
  • Options
    tilidustilidus Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    bluesteel8 wrote: »
    Same question over and over lol, dont get me wrong Im at my PC everyday waiting for this answer but it will be released when it's ready. If you are looking for an official release date, the answer would be on the front homepage, when it's ready.

But I can feel Beta is sooooo close now.

You right Blue,but what else has left me?? :):)
    Waiting in silence ? :)