test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Signature & Avatar Thread

Comments

• femmedesetoilesfemmedesetoiles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Testing (fixed now) :)
    The Lords (and Ladies!) of Light
    ~ A LGBT Friendly Guild ~
    Visit us
    here.
  • draezendirehanddraezendirehand Member Posts: 93
    edited March 2013
    First time posting anything on this forum. Testing my render avatar.

render not working not sure if it is just me trying to link to deviant art or what...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1.jpg
    When life turns it's back on you, sneak attack it for extra damage!
  • iymalaiymala Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    99072eadb1a4a5d8d29dcffb6e09143a1364309973.png

Signature that I made for my Wizard alt... Kinda wishing I could use this one instead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    • Signature Images must be no more than 500 pixels in width and 250 pixels in height and may not be more than 200kb in file size.
    • You may not use animated images in any format.

Is there actual anyone controlling these restrictions? I see signatures with very large images, animated pictures of cartoon characters etc. ?
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    zagemogga wrote: »
    • Signature Images must be no more than 500 pixels in width and 250 pixels in height and may not be more than 200kb in file size.
    • You may not use animated images in any format.

Is there actual anyone controlling these restrictions? I see signatures with very large images, animated pictures of cartoon characters etc. ?

You cannot upload SIGPIC which does not confirm to those restrictions. But people are bypassing that by hotlinking images.

And yes, people are violating the rules but as this post suggests from mod that they are not regulating signatures too much for now.
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/announcement.php?f=686
    Signatures must remain pertinent to Neverwinter. Any links, words, numbers, and but not limited to images within them should have some relevance to Neverwinter Online. As of right now, we are not actively going out of our way to Moderate user signatures, however if we notice any trends or such happening with Signatures that resembles what has happened with the animated GIFs, Youtube Links, and other "Memes" - I assure you we will start being more strict on those as well, as we have been directed by our superiors.

You can already see a lot of .gifs so I guess moderation will enter the realms of signatures soon too.
  • zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    You cannot upload SIGPIC which does not confirm to those restrictions. But people are bypassing that by hotlinking images.

And yes, people are violating the rules but as this post suggests from mod that they are not regulating signatures too much for now.
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/announcement.php?f=686

You can already see a lot of .gifs so I guess moderation will enter the realms of signatures soon too.

I'll probably sit down one day and create a transparent signature with the footage from last Beta. This is not drawing too much attention and still looks good in a discret way :)
    edited March 2013
    zagemogga wrote: »
    I'll probably sit down one day and create a transparent signature with the footage from last Beta. This is not drawing too much attention and still looks good in a discret way :)

I had to cut my signature because of my own threads about lore, deities etc. otherwise scrolling that much space becomes a pain.

If you create a transparent sig, save it as PNG and remember to keep compression level maximum. It will create a nice transparent pic which will have smaller size than JPG.
    edited March 2013
    FYI:-

Everyone whose Signature was made by me, I have kept the source files safe. So if you want little changes in signatures like adding a few things, let me know and I will do it.
    edited March 2013
    hmm 500x150px is still too high :)

//edit: 500x100px now, Inkscape rocks!
  • waterdhavianwaterdhavian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Finally finished my avatar and signature.... My initial version was 640px by 130px but had to scale it down to meet the requirements.

Initial version:
    wd-nwo-640.jpg

I don't have a lot of spare time but i would love to make avatars / signatures for others if you like my style.
  • stereocyclopsstereocyclops Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited March 2013
    I'm trying out a small and simple signature....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Finally finished my avatar and signature.... Sorry Cryptic my signature is 640 pixels wide, but to compensate.
    1) I am hosting it myself to save you bandwidth
    2) I only made it 130 pixels high.

I don't have a lot of spare time but i would love to make avatars / signatures for others if you like my style.
    Sorry man, I'll need you to cut it down to max width of 500px. Looks great otherwise!
    edited March 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    Sorry man, I'll need you to cut it down to max width of 500px. Looks great otherwise!

Done, just out of curiousity why 500px?
    edited March 2013
    Done, just out of curiousity why 500px?
    500px+300px=800px

This will make sure that the signature does not extend across the standard of minimum internet page width - 800px.
    edited March 2013
    500px+300px=800px

This will make sure that the signature does not extend across the standard of minimum internet page width - 800px.

I have to disagree with you on that one.
    i am working in the webindustry for almost 10 years now and the standard is at a minimum 980px wide, that is for ipad support.
    If you leave the ipad out then 1024px wide and imo even that is kinda outdated and 1200px will be supported by most visitors.

But it all boils down to what devices you want to support, but the days that people were using 800x640 resolutions is LOONG ago.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Thank you!

It partly has to do with the layout and display setting of the forum across a wide variety of displays. The 500 is to ensure that inline signature images are not throwing the layout off on any possible display.
    <edit> Gillrmn broke down it in the following post. The forums don't stretch to all resolutions, you'll get side-bars. For example, on 1378 wide I have a few inches on either side and when I switch to my 1680 monitor, I have quite a bit more room yet.

When an image breaks this size, it throws the layout off.
    </edit>
    edited March 2013
    I have to disagree with you on that one.
    i am working in the webindustry for almost 10 years now and the standard is at a minimum 980px wide, that is for ipad support.
    If you leave the ipad out then 1024px wide and imo even that is kinda outdated and 1200px will be supported by most visitors.

But it all boils down to what devices you want to support, but the days that people were using 800x640 resolutions is LOONG ago.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/usercp.php

Its total space is 960px. ~200 px are used for avatar. ~200px for the sidebar.
    Leaves 60 px out of which ~20-30 are used for gaps.

~~~~

Also, 800px is still being used on many websites(google sites for example) as a legacy standard - thought its true that 800px wide pc screens do not exits anymore. And gamers are less likely to have one.
    edited March 2013
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/usercp.php

Its total space is 960px. ~200 px are used for avatar. ~200px for the sidebar.
    Leaves 60 px out of which ~20-30 are used for gaps.

~~~~

Also, 800px is still being used on many websites(google sites for example) as a legacy standard - thought its true that 800px wide pc screens do not exits anymore. And gamers are less likely to have one.

nw.css states on line 6 that width of the forum is 961 pixels. (side bars get generated based on your screen resolution but are not part of the styling)
    the userinfo is indeed 200px wide.
    the width reserved for posting (and signature) is 732 pixels
    the remaining 29 pixels are padding and margins.

So a signature would break the layout if it would exceed 732 pixels wide.
    Hence i dont grasp the 500 pixels limit.

I don't wanna make this an issue or anything, but i have made a dozen guild forums over the years and i have not encountered 500px as a max-width for signatures when the template has a width of 960px

EDIT: i can imagine that signature might exceed the layout on my own usercp when i look at my signature when my resolution is low, (i don't have that problem either), but that my own user CP so i only cause a potential issue for myself. The forums dont have a sidebar other than the user info claiming 200px.
    So on the forums itself there should not be an issue with using 730 pixels signatures ;)
    edited April 2013
    Anyone needs their signature done from me? I could use a distraction this week...
  • ganndogganndog Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Anyone needs their signature done from me? I could use a distraction this week...

A generous offer...wish I had the skills to do my own, or had decided on what class I'm going to start with. Have brainstormed names for a few classes and some backgrounds at this stage, so not sure of a sig but many thanks gillrmn.
    'Get me out of this hell hole.'
    edited April 2013
    ganndog wrote: »
    A generous offer...wish I had the skills to do my own, or had decided on what class I'm going to start with. Have brainstormed names for a few classes and some backgrounds at this stage, so not sure of a sig but many thanks gillrmn.

You can use
    Deities | 4e Intro

for ideas.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?23911-Brief-Lore-Intro&p=811941&viewfull=1#post811941
    Complete list of builds

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?23911-Brief-Lore-Intro&p=370751&viewfull=1#post370751
    My clumsy attempt at Neverwinter prose telling story of Neveriwnter just before game starts

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?23911-Brief-Lore-Intro&p=370031&viewfull=1#post370031
    An explaination of class classifications.

Hope that helps.
    edited April 2013
    I have been using your Deities guide to help with character bios - the other links are new to me and will take some time to digest. I read your story first and was intrigued by a number of your references, which again will require further investigation. Very impressive indeed. Not only should I have a sound lore bio from all of your info, but inspiration for SIGS for all of my characters.

And your own sig is for your foundry quest I assume?

Much appreciated gillrmn.
    edited April 2013
    ganndog wrote: »
    And your own sig is for your foundry quest I assume?

Foundry Campaign of the same name.
    ~~~~
    Happy to know it helped :)
  • klaw10klaw10 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Do my sig! Do my sig!
    Sig_zpse9729709.png
    edited April 2013
    klaw10 wrote: »
    Do my sig! Do my sig!

Working on it. Check by tommorow! :)
  • ciciphenix3ciciphenix3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Testing testing....
    h501FBB42
    Let's split up! We can take more damage that way! ;)
    edited April 2013
    Testing testing....
    Pretty cool, unfortunately we don't allow animated images. The forum signature field is supposted to not allow the insertion of animated images. I'll need you to replace it with one that is within our regulations, as outlined in the first post of this thread. Thanks!

*the mage smiles, laughing at the signature's jokes*
    edited April 2013
    klaw10 wrote: »
    Do my sig! Do my sig!

I wrotez The Claw. I willz change it to Klaw.

Klaw_zps6d48e742.png

Klaw_zpsef756ce1.png
    edited April 2013
    lol - very cool gillrmn
  • errahnerrahn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Testing my sig the dimensions may be off as I created it as 851x315 but resized it to fit the size requirements.

I don't under stand why it doesnt show up...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]