test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

spells learning

jimmyheinjimmyhein Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited December 2012 in The Library
How do wizzard learns spell is there only what you can learn from wizzard trainer or do you pick them up an learn like that as the do in skyrim ware you find scrolls an books ?
do we seee a list of spells we can learn i dont wonna endt up like wow have 20 spells thats it. can you make wands an stuff ???
Post edited by jimmyhein on

Comments

• Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    jimmyhein wrote: »
    How do wizzard learns spell is there only what you can learn from wizzard trainer or do you pick them up an learn like that as the do in skyrim ware you find scrolls an books ?
    do we seee a list of spells we can learn i dont wonna endt up like wow have 20 spells thats it. can you make wands an stuff ???

You might want to read the second post of my FAQ. This is Fourth Edition. Spells are non Vancian. It details the game system both tabletop and the MMO conversion, but I'll summarize here:

Wizards do not learn powers (not called spells) in the game by trainers. In the tabletop version they use a spellbook to choose from two "daily" powers per level that gains this type of power every time they rest for 6 hours (unlike all other classes which just get one power per daily level access,) but in the MMO game, they will "unlock" this daily power at a certain level, and it is accessible by doing class specific things filling an "action point globe bar." This works like a limit break or Ultimate Attack. For the wizard, casting control powers (wizard powers) fills this up once you get these daily powers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Aye, 4th edition is quite different than previous editions. I, personally, prefer the old ways and will never switch my campaign to 4th edition - or even 3rd for that matter. Waiting to see what D&D Next will hold when it is finally released in 2014. Until then, my pnp campaign remains 2nd edition.
  • Options
    aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    Aye, 4th edition is quite different than previous editions. I, personally, prefer the old ways and will never switch my campaign to 4th edition - or even 3rd for that matter. Waiting to see what D&D Next will hold when it is finally released in 2014. Until then, my pnp campaign remains 2nd edition.

Aye 4e is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    aeroth001 wrote: »

really? and how much have you played 4e? how much do you know about its strength and weaknesses? Have you ever designed or conducted a 4e campaign? Or are you just lashing out at something which is just different from what you are used to play?
  • Options
    adaram648adaram648 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 366 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    In a way, I am glad I never really played much with the former versions (other than the bits I learned through games like Baldur's Gate, etc.). It makes it really easy for me to make a transition to newer versions as they inevitably get released.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    alsarothalsaroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Is it just me, or are spellcasters in 4th edition more limited in the way of number of spells/powers? Both regarding the amount of "equippable" spells at a time and the number of existing spells/powers all-in-all. It just seems... Less.
    "A rare display of intelligence, undoubtedly fleeting." - Edwin Odesseiron
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    alsaroth wrote: »
    Is it just me, or are spellcasters in 4th edition more limited in the way of number of spells/powers? Both regarding the amount of "equippable" spells at a time and the number of existing spells/powers all-in-all. It just seems... Less.

The powers system are two completely different Vancian and non-Vancian. This is why. I'm not going to go into a whole history of the working and cross-mechanics, but just explain the basics of that's why.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    I hope that spell learning will be just like in baldur gate series. You get a scroll and learn it end of story and ignore the 4e sistem
  • Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    aeroth001 wrote: »

This is your opinion. Frankly i think that 4e is the most balanced edition ever made, and this is something. It has some faults, but compared to the "nerf-fiesta" that is 3.5 it's a masterwork.
    aeroth001 wrote:
    I hope that spell learning will be just like in baldur gate series. You get a scroll and learn it end of story and ignore the 4e sistem

This would be strange in a system based on 4e...
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    denkasaeba wrote: »
    .... Frankly i think that 4e is the most balanced edition ever made, and this is something. It has some faults, but compared to the "nerf-fiesta" that is 3.5 it's a masterwork.

Its nice to hear from someone who share my opinion. As I said before - Sir Maximus Minimus the third will have no place in the fourth age...
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Its nice to hear from someone who share my opinion. As I said before - Sir Maximus Minimus the third will have no place in the fourth age...

Well, actually there's some min-max also in 4e (as in every table game), but compared to the horrible abominations it spawned in 3.5 it's like drinking fresh water. Most of the worst things in 4e were addressed as soon as possible by wizard: the only "broken" build i remember about was the feycharged, which was errated after a couple of months.
    The 4th edition is far from being perfect, it has its issues... but imho doesn't really deserve the "fail" tag, and imho it gets the job done much better than 3.5

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Well, actually there's some min-max also in 4e (as in every table game), but compared to the horrible abominations it spawned in 3.5 it's like drinking fresh water. Most of the worst things in 4e were addressed as soon as possible by wizard: the only "broken" build i remember about was the feycharged, which was errated after a couple of months.
    The 4th edition is far from being perfect, it has its issues... but imho doesn't really deserve the "fail" tag, and imho it gets the job done much better than 3.5

That's true. But it's only inspired by 4e, allowing ways for it to work in the MMO tanslation. Hwever it's NOT inspired by 2e so no way are we going to "lean spells" either Aero, sory. The game will use an MMO method of acquiring powers, but allow them to be swapped out at rest zones or campfires.

*glances at denkasaeba's sig.*
    Cubum autem in duos cubos, aut quadratoquadratum in duos quadratoquadratos, et generaliter nullam in infinitum ultra quadratum potestatem in duos eiusdem nominis fas est dividere cuius rei demonstrationem mirabilem sane detexi. Hanc marginis exiguitas non caperet.

Pierre de Fermat
    What you saying to me? Fermat me? Fermat you!

Seriously, nice to see a mathematical proof as a sig for a change!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Well, actually there's some min-max also in 4e (as in every table game), ...

Agreed, but that is not all. There are not many instant death spells and no insta death abilities for player character. This also contributes to the demise or Sir Maximus Minimus and Lady Minimus Maximus.

There are more nifty features which make sure that every class is strong at every level - while still maintaining the need of party by sequestering them to defined roles (primary depending on class, and secondary role depending on choice).

Even multiclassing(hybrid) is built in a way to make sure it is not exploited by the above mentioned sir and lady like before.

So my point is that inherent mechanics of the game itself allow you to easily balance anything unlike the min-max fest which DDO has become and the fact that there is no solution for that fest when following 3/3.5e game mechanics.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Agreed, but that is not all. There are not many instant death spells and no insta death abilities for player character. This also contributes to the demise or Sir Maximus Minimus and Lady Minimus Maximus.

Your non-instant deaths shall not go in vain!

*Polymorphs them into portable chocolate versions, munches*

WHAT?! Now that's cannibalism TOO?!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    *glances at denkasaeba's sig.*
    What you saying to me? Fermat me? Fermat you!

Seriously, nice to see a mathematical proof as a sig for a change!

Well, that seriously deserves a trollface as a tag :D Actually i'm a historian, but i like history of science ^^
    gillrmn wrote:
    Agreed, but that is not all. There are not many instant death spells and no insta death abilities for player character. This also contributes to the demise or Sir Maximus Minimus and Lady Minimus Maximu

Yeah, there are very few instant death "objects" in 4e. One of them is the Sleep spell line, when used decently. That's imho, obiouvsly.

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Well, that seriously deserves a trollface as a tag :D Actually i'm a historian, but i like history of science ^^

Yeah, there are very few instant death "objects" in 4e. One of them is the Sleep spell line, when used decently. That's imho, obiouvsly.

Nahh, still required a separate action after the spell power was cast when helpless. Act and they die on the spot,thus the term instant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Bite your tongue, balance is for the weak that can't build and is scared_zpsbb5dac3c.gif of a kickass_zpsc7e03ca1.gif. rasp1_zps956108c8.gif

Will be interesting though thinking_zpsed71e285.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    erebus2075erebus2075 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    the D&D system are very broken as a pnp system.. its more a dice roll then an roleplay.. didnt like any of the E.
    but as a game system i think it could work quite fine since the limitations in a game is completely different then those of a campaign.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2012
    Yeah, 4e is really more pleasing to video game mechanics. Even the authors on the panel for The Sundering back a couple months ago for the upcoming novels complained how hard it was for them to come up with novel-style ways to explain the useage of 4e powers and abilities. They hinted that D&D Next and earlier editions were and are much easier to convey.

That also brings to note how in, I think it was the Keynote for Next, where they said that 3rd and 4th had been designed by "game developers
    " where as D&D Next is being developed by actual D&D Playing Developers - that they wanted to get the game back to what it was meant to be, about the players for the players and less strict on rules, putting the game power back into the hands of the DM and not "Rules."

It's also been said that, which I really loved to hear, that NWO is being designed by Developers that actively play PnP!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    pilf3r wrote: »
    Bite your tongue, balance is for the weak that can't build and is of a .

Will be interesting though

The devil is afraid that everyone will be fighting on the fair grounds? :p
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The devil is afraid that everyone will be fighting on the fair grounds? :p

There's no such thing as "fair" it's something the gods made up to con the masses devilwink_zps50661822.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    pilf3r wrote: »
    There's no such thing as "fair" it's something the gods made up to con the masses

Sshhh... you can't post divine secrets on public forums. "They" may hear and lock you inside iron maiden or burn you at stake ...
    Wait I am a they too!
    *gets up and puts matchsticks in his pocket*
  • Options
    shredstallion33shredstallion33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 66
    edited November 2012
    Not that familiar with PNP but it would be cool if premium spells like 'gate ' were only obtainable after completing difficult raids. That way not every single wizard is walking around neverwinter with his pet glabrezu.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Not that familiar with PNP but it would be cool if premium spells like 'gate ' were only obtainable after completing difficult raids. That way not every single wizard is walking around neverwinter with his pet glabrezu.

Thank God there's no "gate" in 4e :D One of the most broken spells ever.

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    nimlohnimloh Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    I would love developers to produce more organic ways to acquire new abilities in rpgs. However, D&D has never built mechanics into getting them. You level up and adjust your character accordingly. So D&D computer games do have some latitude in handling new abilities.

NW may be similar to GW2 where you just acquire new abilities on the fly (or at least without trainers). I don't think we actually know yet.
  • Options
    shady153shady153 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    nimloh wrote: »
    I would love developers to produce more organic ways to acquire new abilities in rpgs. However, D&D has never built mechanics into getting them. You level up and adjust your character accordingly. So D&D computer games do have some latitude in handling new abilities.

NW may be similar to GW2 where you just acquire new abilities on the fly (or at least without trainers). I don't think we actually know yet.

I don't like the whole "learn new abilities on the fly". Maybe I'm too used to PWI but I like having to go to a trainer or whatever.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I like the training idea, especially for wizards. A little more fluff is really a nice idea, and it doesn't really take a lot of time to actually go to the trainer and learn your new spells. One of the best things in WoW, up to WotLK, was going to your trainer when you dinged even levels and learn new stuff.

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    But if not done for all classes those playing that class will say they are being punished while others get their powers on the fly. Even If theme only 4E is based on balance between all classes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tyrecies1tyrecies1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    4e is a nice version of DnD. I have played all versions and half versions since Ad&d 1st edition, never played the boxset. The great thing about 4e is you do not have to sleep all the time to get spells back. I do look forward to seeing next. I think that by experiencing all editions as players we can help the game develop and evolve in newer better ways.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    tyrecies1 wrote: »
    4e is a nice version of DnD. I have played all versions and half versions since Ad&d 1st edition, never played the boxset. The great thing about 4e is you do not have to sleep all the time to get spells back. I do look forward to seeing next. I think that by experiencing all editions as players we can help the game develop and evolve in newer better ways.

QFT /10char
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]