test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bear Smiley Emoticons

mezrael13mezrael13 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
edited October 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
What is up with the Bear Emoticons??
Is this in response to that stupid game called WOW that has added Pandas??
This makes me feels like I'm on some childs game.
Post edited by mezrael13 on

Comments

• bubbabinskybubbabinsky Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 161 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    The bear smileys were introduced in PWI, PWE's first MMO. All of PWE's forums use them.
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I addressed this long ago. A poll I ran made it clear many wanted the bears to go months ago.

Sadly you have some that "blow off" the bears (pun unintended, of course, heh heh) because other PW forums use them or other childish smilies. Some have said... "Its only a forum" or "There's far more important matters to attend to". I say... It takes 5-10 minutes to delete them and give us generic smilies. 5-10 minutes.

I think one of the problems the bears present is that PW/Cryptic isnt displaying an understanding that demographic for this game is probably going to be older than previous efforts, with the exception of STO. STO uses generic smilies.

About the bears, Stormshade seemed shocked it was a big deal, so nothing got done about it. I think along with the complete lack of security controls (aka this site's recent SPAM war), and the badly... incomplete... forum design/structure, has left this site looking about as professionally run as a 5th grade online science project gone awry.

Hopefully, someone up in Cryptic and PW starts paying attention... and starts treating this forum with the professionalism it deserves.

The moderators will solve the spam issues, but I think the site will need more help than the elimination of spam to look the part of an officially licensed Dungeons & Dragons project.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    I have a feeling that the forums and web site will continue to get more and more love the closer we get to CBT, OBT, and then Launch. I, personally, am in total agreement with the replacement of the Bear smilies with at least normal (western) smilies, preferably something more D&D-Related though. Some custom D&D-style smilies would be awesome!
    edited October 2012
    I would be more than happy to create such smilies if I knew they'd be implemented. I know Gill has already created some good ones, and I'm sure many here would volunteer a smilie or two to get rid of these.. abominable ones.

b:dirty <
    THIS will never be Dungeons & Dragons.

No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The bear smileys were introduced in PWI, PWE's first MMO. All of PWE's forums use them.

They need to put in more smilies for those of us that hate the bears!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • surf13surf13 Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    My sig eloquently expresses my opinion on the matter...
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Sadly you have some that "blow off" the bears (pun unintended, of course, heh heh) because other PW forums use them or other childish smilies. Some have said... "Its only a forum" or "There's far more important matters to attend to". I say... It takes 5-10 minutes to delete them and give us generic smilies. 5-10 minutes.
    People with different opinion than you? Sad! b:scorn Where is the Inquisiton when you need it?b:angry
    I vote for getting rid of the bears and give us bunnies.b:heart
  • subway7850subway7850 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I haz to say I thinks the bears are kinda cute! b:laugh
  • catburger003catburger003 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    There's nothing wrong with the bear smileys. You're just a little insecure.
    Besides, you can use other smileys using your keyboard . Want me to give an example? :)

Don't use them if you don't want to :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want to HAMSTER in Neverwinter, whenever I want, for as long as I want.
  • vindiconvindicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Bear emoticons are fine. They're not particularly in accordance with the D&D theme, but in themselves they're fine. And some may think that I'm being indifferent or something for saying this, but they REALLY are not that important compaired to other forum issues. Even if you just wanna talk about how this forum should look, I think that before talking about the smilies you should address the fact that we've essentially got no background yet (not that this is particularly important either, but whatevs)

BTW

@bubbabinsky the bears are not used in all PWE forums.

@zebular the bears are not asian themed in any way, shape or form (ok, these 2 b:cold b:nosebleed are). They're no different than the western-styled cartoons.

and, most importantly

@mezrael13 cartoon/anime does not equal children's game. Particularly anime. Get that out of your mind.
    What defines the age group that something targets at is the concept inside it, not the style of the aesthetic. Especially in games, gritty artstyles are often just a coat of "maturity-like" paint over a concept much more childish than many cartoons and cartoony games. Games like CoD and SC2, for all their grittiness and "macho-ness" are still much more childish to their core than even the first movie of Pokemon was...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    At the end of the day ..I pretty much agree with stormshade..of all the things to get bent out of shape about, bear emoticons shouldn't be one of them...but this is the internet we are talking about.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    vindicon wrote: »
    Bear emoticons are fine. They're not particularly in accordance with the D&D theme, but in themselves they're fine. And some may think that I'm being indifferent or something for saying this, but they REALLY are not that important compaired to other forum issues. Even if you just wanna talk about how this forum should look, I think that before talking about the smilies you should address the fact that we've essentially got no background yet (not that this is particularly important either, but whatevs)\
    @bubbabinsky the bears are not used in all PWE forums.

A few points to note here are:-

We are not allowed large signatures and our own avatars because of a reason - to maintain the theme of the game in forums.
    Having stupid bear smileys ruins that theme completely. It makes the reasoning not to have custom avatars moot.

And yes, STO forums don't have bear smileys and it is cryptic forum which has merged just like NW.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    And we used to have generic smilies here too. If all the above posts and this wasn't true it wouldn't be an issue. But the posted reasons are why.

Priority? No. But STO forums show it can be done and it would be nice to have the posting user-base get a bone considering all that is lost (names, features, background color and this topic as well as many other things.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    If someone in this thread has gotten "bent out of shape" I'd like to see the comment. Otherwise, I'd call that accusation an over-reach and mis-characterization. I see no one "raging" or getting "bent out of shape." All I see are posters giving reasons why they like or dislike/don't mind the bears.

Most of those who think the bears should go have given specifics why they feel its a priority to them... those who do like the bears.. well.. haven't really stated any reason to keep them.

Vin's response "they REALLY are not that important compared to other forum issues" is the only good defense I've seen. However, what is Vin saying? The way I'm reading it is he's saying the bears are not a sticking point for him, but other things are. My reply to that is simple. There are plenty of us that have a list of fixes and upgrades we feel this site can benefit from... order of importance may be different, but that's ok.

That's in affect why I started my most recent thread topic. I figure lets give everyone a chance to voice their opinions on where the site can use some love, constructively. It's ok to have each and every person's input.

So, I agree with those who say there are "bigger fish to fry" than bear smilies... I just hope the bears are on the grill with the rest of the fish when PW/Cryptic finally decides to listen to those of us that think improvements can be made to the design and/or management of this website.

• iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If someone in this thread has gotten "bent out of shape" I'd like to see the comment.

*truth is pointed to, massacring PWE and Care Bears alike, wearing their intestines as necklaces and one of their heads as a hat. He grumpily replies,*

What?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If someone in this thread has gotten "bent out of shape" I'd like to see the comment. Otherwise, I'd call that accusation an over-reach and mis-characterization. I see no one "raging" or getting "bent out of shape." All I see are posters giving reasons why they like or dislike/don't mind the bears. b:angry b:angry b:angry

You left out OMGWTFBBQ Slap in t3h face b:laugh
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
    edited October 2012
    You left out OMGWTFBBQ Slap in t3h face b:laugh

http://youtu.be/PWSx0bBiNIs

That's classic!

edited October 2012
    *truth is pointed to, massacring PWE and Care Bears alike, wearing their intestines as necklaces and one of their heads as a hat. He grumpily replies,*

Dang Truth, if you only said that 10 minutes ago!!!!!! :D~~

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    @zebular the bears are not asian themed in any way, shape or form (ok, these 2 b:cold b:nosebleed are). They're no different than the western-styled cartoons.

I didn't say they were Asian. I simply stated that I'd like to see normal (western) smilies. However, I feel you are incorrect that these smilies are representative of western cartoon artwork.
    edited October 2012

I believe the use of the generic toon-bears are in line with the Chinese gaming culture in so much as Chinese mmo game developers tend to use childish cartoon art in many of their games not directed solely at children. Their design or theme doesn't represent any nation.

I didn't see that Zeb stating they were actually Asian-themed, however. These icons, whether they are bears, bunnies, ponies whatever are more likely to be featured in pre-k to 5th grade girl grammar school notebooks than on a game at least somewhat catering to adults.

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    I didn't say they were Asian. I simply stated that I'd like to see normal (western) smilies. However, I feel you are incorrect that these smilies are representative of western cartoon artwork.

Have to agree with both zebular and vindicon at the same time.

The bears do feel anime-like to me.
    The bears are no different than the western-styled cartoons.

I guess what I feel and see is different. The bears smileys are similar to winne the poo like cartoon. But the "nosebleed" reference is definitely anime-ish (First time I saw that I had a hell of a time trying to understand it).

But that is off-topic. The point is that smileys are breaking the D&D theme of forums.

EDIT:
    *protecting the ponies world from truth covered with guts of bears*
    I must add that I don't have anything against the ponies :p
  • firelordzx5firelordzx5 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »

I guess what I feel and see is different. The bears smileys are similar to winne the poo like cartoon. But the "nosebleed" reference is definitely anime-ish (First time I saw that I had a hell of a time trying to understand it).

But that is off-topic. The point is that smileys are breaking the D&D theme of forums.

EDIT:

NO! you mentioned the "P" Word!.. now this thread... this forum.... is not safe from the... br@nies... the undead now seems tame compared to "that" people...

now On-topic: We need human, tiefling, dwarf, drow, elf emoticons and smilies TO RID THE HERESY OF BEARS!!
    edited October 2012

I agree... let's take a looksee

Source: urban dictionary, not exactly on par wit the Oxford dictionary, but we'll go with it in this case:

Sometimes used in anime and manga, nosebleed means to become sexually excited. It's usually embarrassing and something the character will probably try to cover up. Though it normally is shown happening to male characters, female characters have also been shown having nosebleeds.

It is also a term used by fans, regardless of their type of fandom, to express finding something exciting sexually or hot.

Good enough for me, they are at least in part, based on anime themes. In any event, these bears have NOTHING to do with Dungeons & Dragons, and need to go.

edited October 2012

EDIT:

Oh don't worry. I like ponies. Pretty pink Ponies. I'm a Pretty Pink Pony....awww <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>!
    *Gets Commitment Papers*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    Oh don't worry. I like ponies. Pretty pink Ponies. I'm a Pretty Pink Pony....awww <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>!
    *Gets Commitment Papers*

I prefer animals that arent so.... pretty. You should see the look on visitor's faces when I call for.. Huberta. No she's no fury little poodle. Last time we had someone try to break in... felt bad... next time I'll leave a sign to use the front door........ heh hehh

http://oi46.tinypic.com/erxwtk.jpg

• pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Seriously the bears must die!!!!! Next we shall have this

Link
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
    edited October 2012
    I prefer animals that arent so.... pretty. You should see the look on visitor's faces when I call for.. Huberta. No she's no fury little poodle. Last time we had someone try to break in... felt bad... next time I'll leave a sign to use the front door........ heh hehh

Funny, our RPGA 2nd Ed Tournament Living City days had us play with a Psychotic stupid fighter Polymorphed into a giant fuchsia Bunny named Maynard.

Never thought I'd see that color let alone on an animal in D&D again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    Funny, our RPGA 2nd Ed Tournament Living City days had us play with a Psychotic stupid fighter Polymorphed into a giant fuchsia Bunny named Maynard.

Never thought I'd see that color let alone on an animal in D&D again.

Bahahahahaha!

• vindiconvindicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Hippos are perfectly cute y'all b:angry

Anyway, I believe that the forum will get more love once we get to CB and OB. That's what PWE has been doing more or less, just leaving the forum be until there's an actual game to discuss and trying to improve things from there. So I'm withholding judgement until the game comes out. I've said it before, the background screams "Coming soon" to me, and I guess that extends to the rest of the forum.

The one thing they really need to eventually do with the forums is allow us to post pictures. Not links, but actual pictures. Then we won't have problems with the smilies, because we'll be using our own (I'll personally be using these - and btw this is what anime style is, not the bears we have). Everything else, from default smilies to ignore buttons are not necessary - they're just nice touches.

PS. When I was talking about the bears not being the default smilies in all PWE forums I wasn't even talking about ex-Cryptic games. I was talking about PWE's own Forsaken World.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    Only problem with actual pics is potential copyright issues. This is why Cryptic allows screenshots of games but not much else here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]