test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Question on character names

jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
The last MMORPG I played was EQ1 and the names basically worked this way:

1) you picked a first name and got it if no else has already picked that name

2) you get to pick a last name once you reached a certain level which I forget like 20 or 30 or something.

Having not played DDO or any other Cryptic MMORPG like STO or CO, I am wondering how the naming system works for these games.

Essentially I am wondering if I should name my Neverwinter character as:

1) Jade (and eventually get to add the last name)

2) Jade_Scimitar

3) JadeScimitar

JS
Z2DEDiN.jpg
This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
| R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
Post edited by jadescimitar on

Comments

• aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If my understanding is right, you will get to pick the exact name you like. The key will be that each name will have your account name also attached to it (toggled off if you prefer).
    Thus my character could be called Joe@aescleal, and yours would be Joe@jadescimitar.
    Toggled off, we'd both appear as Joe, ingame, but for anybody wanting to launch a complaint against me, I can be identified by my full moniker, which is my character name plus my account name @aescleal.

Make sense?

I'm sure it's in the FAQ somewhere, I just don't have time to look right now.
  • subway7850subway7850 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    aescleal wrote: »
    If my understanding is right, you will get to pick the exact name you like. The key will be that each name will have your account name also attached to it (toggled off if you prefer).
    Thus my character could be called Joe@aescleal, and yours would be Joe@jadescimitar.
    Toggled off, we'd both appear as Joe, ingame, but for anybody wanting to launch a complaint against me, I can be identified by my full moniker, which is my character name plus my account name @aescleal.

Make sense?

I'm sure it's in the FAQ somewhere, I just don't have time to look right now.

Its like that in both STO and CO.
    A very good system imo, since you dont have to be first on server to get your favorit name.
    Only downside is that you cant have a name for more than 1 toon, in other words, your alt cant have the same name.
    edited September 2012
    Interesting, and ya that's a downside, but I can live with that! Not much is more frustrating (to me) during character creation, than spending most of my time trying to find a name that isn't taken. Often more time then it actually took to "build" my character the way I want him/her.

And thanks for verifying that subway7850. Cool.
    edited September 2012
    Forgot to add one last thing.

Neither in STO or CO you get a last name (that showes in the chat box, or for that matter over your toons head).

However, you can name your toon "Jade Scimitar@jadescimitar" if ya like, atleast in STO and CO that is.

I dont see any reason why they should change that, but we just gonna have to wait and see, unless we can get Stormshade or someone in beta to say otherwise
    edited September 2012
    @subway7850
    So, in your example, "James Scimtar@jamesscimtar" can be what you call your character, but the only thing that will show up on screen during gameplay (in chat or above your toon's head) will be James? Interesting... not sure I like that as much, but I can still live with it. Especially if the character sheet has a bio page I can fill in manually, and when people examine my character toon, they can still see his/her full name on his character sheet.
    edited September 2012
    No, my bad!

I ment that you dont get a last name in middle of the game that showes above your toons head (in STO or CO).

If you name it James Scimitar it will show just that in game aswell!

sry, my english is not all that good since its not my main language b:chuckle my misstake I should have been more clear from the beginning!
  • jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for explaining the whole "@ handle" name thingy. I did read that and was thoroughly confused by it, but now I get it.

Awesome about being to get whatever name you want. Generally speaking, that is the most time consuming part of a game if you want to get a name that is somewhat popular and not horribly misspelled.

Was not looking forward to calling myself Jaaade, or Jaede or J@de or some other variation of that...

JS
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Heyas!

In Star Trek Online, your character's in game avatar and identification is displayed by a "Nickname." This chosen Nickname is what makes the prefix to your character's @handle. Through your profile, you can then set your First Name, Middle Name, and Last Name. You can also set in which order your first and last name appears on your profile. As well, here you can also set to display a Title over your character's name above your in-game avatar.

Your First Name, Middle Name, and Last Name only appear on your profile as well as on the info screen when you or another player inspects you.

For example, my @handle suffix is "Captain Zebular"
    My main character's Nickname is "Zebular"
    His chosen title is "Captain"
    His full name is "Zeryn Zebulon Zebular"

On his profile and info screen, players see "Zeryn Zebulon Zebular" as his name.
    Above his avatar in-game players see "Captain Zebular"

His character handle is "Zebular@Captain Zebular"
    In chat, when I speak, players see "Zebular says:"
    In chat, if players have player handles toggled to be displayed in chat, they see "Zebular@Captain Zebular says"

Hope that helps understand more about how the Cyptic system is handling naming in Star Trek Online. I'm sure it will be similar, with some improvements, in Neverwinter Online.
    edited September 2012
    Awesome explanation, Z!

Dizzying b:faint but understandable. b:victory

JS
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    edited September 2012
    zebular is right, but what shows on the Character Cheet dont show above the toons head in game.

Anyway, well said zebular!
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Awesome explanation, Z!

JS

No. Zebular got lazy compared to his awesome explanation before.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    And I didn't comment 'cause I was gaming classic D&D for 2 days. Nice to see Z puts us in good hands!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    No. Zebular got lazy compared to his awesome explanation before.

Heh.. thanks. I am glad that this linked post was not forgotten. I have a pet peeve where I usually don't repeat my opinions unless I am deeply troubled in some fashion over such. Bringing the character name topic back into the fray though, I must say that I do hope the NWO naming system has evolved from what is found in CO and STO. I won't be hugely disappointed but I would "expect" more from any D&D MMO title.
    And I didn't comment 'cause I was gaming classic D&D for 2 days. Nice to see Z puts us in good hands!

I've fallen off the wagon... the Civaholic Wagon that is... King Zebular III of the Zebulon Kingdom has been ruling over his Zebulonian peoples and spreading Zebulonianism to all the unfaithful. Great Zebulonia is a fine place to live, especially in the Capitol of Zebulon City where all manner of trade flows to and from.

Just one more turn...

(even in Civ5:G&K I love the naming system.. as rudimentary as it is)
    edited September 2012
    Another question on names:

is the @handle the forum name or the user id?

I just realized that when I first created my account, my forum name is different from my user id for some reason that made sense to me at the time...

JS
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    edited September 2012
    Forum name
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Seconded, forum name. The rest of the handle comes from email stuff if ever applicable, but it's mot. The important things is it can be toggleable, and the only way you'll ever show your "last name" above your character's head is if you put in in your nickname. This is especially true with mission quests which use a [nickname] pull and not the first and last name.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    I've seen alot of talk on this forum about toggeling of the handel. and I want to add that if one dont it is the way to recognize friends in chat. b:pleased
    edited September 2012
    Friends and enemies...

I remember being being harassed by several members of a guild back in EQ1 only to find out after reporting it that it was just the same person but with multiple alts. if they had an @handle, I would have been able to figure out it was only one person.

Interesting...
    subway7850 wrote: »
    I've seen alot of talk on this forum about toggeling of the handel. and I want to add that if one dont it is the way to recognize friends in chat. b:pleased
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    edited September 2012
    Core connect ... which is forum name.

Also please let us import and show toons on core connect once game is out like they can do for PW game.
  • valistariusvalistarius Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Enforce both first and second name. Only letters, no numbers or symbols.

Having characters running around with names like: "SirKillsAlot", "Destructor", "Death-o-matic 2000", "Son of a Balor" etc. is a real killjoy.
    edited September 2012
    ... "SirKillsAlot", "Destructor", "Death-o-matic 2000", "Son of a Balor" etc. is a real killjoy.

Killsalot - a variation of lancealot
    Not out of lore.

Destructor - a very valid name for tieflings who often name themselves on their impulses, like hope, destiny etc.

Death-o-matic 2000 - A very valid name for a Warforged.

Killjoy - It sounds wizardish but I can't really place it.
    edited September 2012
    Friends and enemies...

I remember being being harassed by several members of a guild back in EQ1 only to find out after reporting it that it was just the same person but with multiple alts. if they had an @handle, I would have been able to figure out it was only one person.

Interesting...

Yeah, that too, if you hit "Ignore" you will not see the player in chat, even if he uses an alt.
    Very efective b:pleased
    edited September 2012
    subway7850 wrote: »
    Yeah, that too, if you hit "Ignore" you will not see the player in chat, even if he uses an alt.
    Very efective b:pleased

Nice! b:victory
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
  • bardbarianbardbarian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I hope there are titles, like Sir. That way I can play characters like "Sir Not Appearing in this Film." Or Tim, the Enchanter. But if there aren't I could always go with Zoot or The Frenchman. :)
    edited October 2012
    bardbarian wrote: »
    I hope there are titles, like Sir. That way I can play characters like "Sir Not Appearing in this Film." Or Tim, the Enchanter. But if there aren't I could always go with Zoot or The Frenchman. :)

Nuts, if that european convention is accurate, we don't get salutation titles like "Sir" or "lord" unless we type it in our name.

But looking at what was seen, we MIGHT get badges or accomplishments (it's too small to see but think we get something like that shown. Maybe it was just a minor magic item and I might be wrong though.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Enforce both first and second name. Only letters, no numbers or symbols.

Having characters running around with names like: "SirKillsAlot", "Destructor", "Death-o-matic 2000", "Son of a Balor" etc. is a real killjoy.

Bite your tongue i want to have a alt account for my pking that will be named ou812 with a toon called ICUCRY

so i can pk with Icucry@ou812 or maybe IpkU@ou812

MWAHAHAHA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
    edited October 2012
    pilf3r wrote: »
    Bite your tongue i want to have a alt account for my pking that will be named ou812 with a toon called ICUCRY

so i can pk with Icucry@ou812 or maybe IpkU@ou812

MWAHAHAHA

I shall join your killteam with i33td00d! MUHUHAHAHAHA!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    I hope there are titles like :- Murderer of a 1000 orcs (would be nice to see half orc get it :p ), killer of 20000 elves and wielder of 2 halflings (two handed weapon).
  • zoooperzoooper Member Posts: 30
    edited October 2012
    Handles don't look nice and if players hide handles, there will be some confusion.

Better enforce unique nicknames and not use any handles.
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I just realized that when I first created my account, my forum name is different from my user id for some reason that made sense to me at the time...

JS

This is something completely separate from your forum name or your @handle that PWE requires. Your account user name is, naturally, what you use to log into the various websites as well as the game itself. Theoretically you should be the only one that ever sees that name (you'll appear as your forum name or your @handle in all public areas). My understanding is that it's a layer, though not a foolproof layer, of separation between a malicious user and what your actual log-in is. If they never see your account name then it should be harder to connect it to one of your public displays (@handle or forum name).

I don't actually know how effective it is, but the idea behind it seems sound to me.