test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Closed Beta Keys to be Released

ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
edited October 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
I just got an E-mail from PWE stating:

"Torchlight 2 will be released on Thursday September 20. We will send you your Torchlight 2 product code and your Neverwinter beta key on that day."

Awesome! I wonder if that means we should expect the Be beta around the same time or if they are simply closing their promotion.

Either way this is progress!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    katalystikkatalystik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    AHHHH! Is the thing still going on? So going to pre-order if I can still get that deal. Planned on getting on Steam but if I can get into NWO beta getting from here still, I'll do that!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    I have no idea if the promotion is still valid.
    I merely got the E-mail within the last half an hour stating we will finally get our keys.

However steam does give the better deal if you don't own the original Torchlight so keep that in mind if you are looking for more than the NW beta key.
  • Options
    katalystikkatalystik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hmm, seeing as I already for TL 1, I may get through PWE anyway. Steam is convenient but the opportunity to get into NWO early may be too much to pass up. Here is to hoping its still going!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    asioxrinasioxrin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I am in it for the NW!
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It's still valid but I recommend using the PWE Torchlight II link for pre-order sometime BEFORE the 20th and even before the 19th to be safe.

But, from our old dev handle:
    melanderi wrote: »
    Yes, the promotion will go on until either TL2 launches, or Neverwinter goes into beta- which ever comes first!

And as for when the keys work...

Thanks Stormshade but what some of us were wondering was about the type of beta key and if one would grant access before the other.

Example say I have a Pax East beta key and a Lifetime beta key, some of us think that the PAX east key would grant you access first...or is that wrong and everyone will get in at the same time??
    stormshade wrote: »
    Everyone will be phased in throughout the Closed Beta Test.

So, what kind of key shouldn't matter so much, just as long as you have one.

Cheers,

Stormshade

If anybody has questions how to enter the beta keys that will be emailed soon (and I really mean soon, not the "later soon" :) )

I'll repost this for your "save for later" needs:
    Okay, I have a Beta Key. Where do I enter it? Where can I check that my Beta key entered successfully?

Update: 8/23/2012: Enter the Alphanumeric Beta Key code exactly as you received it (with dashes, but it is not listed as case sensitive at the time of this update) on the "Access Beta" section from their "The Game" drop down menu at the top of this site or may also be accessed as a button on their Main Section. The following is from the Beta Key's own entry location:

If you have received a beta key, use the field below to activate your closed beta account. Once you have entered the information, your beta account will be activated immediately. Enter the beta key exactly as you received it, including dashes. Keys are not case sensitive.
    If you have received a beta key, use the field below to activate your closed beta account. Once you have entered the information, your beta account will be activated immediately. Enter the beta key exactly as you received it, including dashes. Keys are not case sensitive.

Above the Redeem Key box to enter the beta key code, it tells you if or not the beta key is applied. When it is applied successfully, you will receive the message, "Congratulations, you have activated your beta key for Neverwinter!!"

Also, for additional Beta info including post-entry tips, you can look at the first section of my FAQ (which was also done with people who actually entered keys.)

But as they do change things around (and we can only enter keys once before our status changes and observe what happens one time and tell me or others about it,) your results could vary.

In case there are problems, there are steps how to contact PWE on this in that section, as well as the last question in my FAQ. Please don't ask me how to fix it otherwise, unless you are giving me lots of cash first! :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Just bought it but PayPal set it up as an eCheck for some reason and it say it may take 5 days to clear..... what the heck PayPal!? :( Better clear before TL2 is released... Want my key...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    Question : the one that play beta are allowed to spread information about the game ?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Question : the one that play beta are allowed to spread information about the game ?

Probably not. I'm sure it'll be under an NDA at first, but eventually we'll be able to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    aeroth001 wrote: »

That depends on the company and even sometimes what "stage" that specific part of the beta (closed or open) might be in.

With the earliest testing the "public" may get into if lucky to be personally recruited as a Friend of the company or a Family member of an employee (which is why this early testing stage is called "Friends and Family,") normally not, but sometimes even this is an exception as Blizzard did with Diablo 3's Friends and Family.

As for this game and Closed/Open Beta, we have not been told if it's an open discussion, a total Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA,) or between the two.

(And since nothing has been talked about Friends and Family here, I can't say anything on that unless Cryptic/PWE wants to.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    DING, i got email as well, But having already entered a beta key from Pax East, and now having a key sent for TLII (and needing something to play while i wait), will this make it a spare, cos im happy to hand it out if it does, but i wish someone would comment, Andy states closed beta in the last foundry video i updated. Has my Pax key been looked over, i didnt get in at the stage they were handing them out for? an answer would be b:victory
  • Options
    surf13surf13 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ryvvik wrote: »
    DING, i got email as well, But having already entered a beta key from Pax East, and now having a key sent for TLII (and needing something to play while i wait), will this make it a spare, cos im happy to hand it out if it does, but i wish someone would comment, Andy states closed beta in the last foundry video i updated. Has my Pax key been looked over, i didnt get in at the stage they were handing them out for? an answer would be b:victory

*beg*beg*whine*grovel* Please? Pretty please?

Assuming it is allowed, of course.

(PM me if it is and you are so inclined)
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If they have sent emails, it probably means beta is around the corner? Like a few weeks?
  • Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    If they have sent emails, it probably means beta is around the corner? Like a few weeks?

Read Truthseeker's post above. It likely simply means that TLII's release date is coming soon, and they have to end the promotion. This may or may not mean anything about the beta dates.
  • Options
    vindiconvindicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    aeroth001 wrote: »

So far, I have not seen PWE put NDAs in any of their titles' betas. Once they're available to the public, they're available to talk about in public.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    vindicon wrote: »
    So far, I have not seen PWE put NDAs in any of their titles' betas. Once they're available to the public, they're available to talk about in public.

In this case since it's co-developed by WoTC, I'd double check on this with Cryptic/PWE just to be safe. There may (and stress MAY) be additional non-disclosure stage steps. Really hoping for a quick answer on this no matter what it may be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    ausdoerrt wrote: »
    Read Truthseeker's post above. It likely simply means that TLII's release date is coming soon, and they have to end the promotion. This may or may not mean anything about the beta dates.

I am saying it because devs have stated:
    Q: Where is my beta key? {I ordered Torchlight 2 through Perfect World}//{I am lifetime subscriber to CO or STO}
    A: As a general reminder folks, the closed beta test for Neverwinter has not began. Due to this, no keys have been e-mailed out. We'll be e-mailing out keys to those of you who have earned them as soon...

So if they are sending out keys, it may imply that beta is not soon(r) anymore but just around the corner.

But it may also be due to TL2 release too (though I hope not).
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    In this case since it's co-developed by WoTC, I'd double check on this with Cryptic/PWE just to be safe. There may (and stress MAY) be additional non-disclosure stage steps. Really hoping for a quick answer on this no matter what it may be.

Yes, regarding RaiderZ, even CB forums were open to public. Cryptic old betas don't count as they have since changed their policies and billing model.

It would be nice to get a confirmation but I would be inclined to think that its forums would be open to public.
  • Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    But it may also be due to TL2 release too (though I hope not).

Well, some people have keys from PAX and E3, but they aren't playing the beta yet, either. So it's no indication.

With the devs saying that some pretty basic game mechanics are still in "heavy development", I doubt NWO is anywhere near ready for beta.
  • Options
    shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I just got an E-mail from PWE stating:

"Torchlight 2 will be released on Thursday September 20. We will send you your Torchlight 2 product code and your Neverwinter beta key on that day."

Awesome! I wonder if that means we should expect the Be beta around the same time or if they are simply closing their promotion.

Either way this is progress!
    Beta or no beta "soon" (arghh!!!), I must say: **** yeah! (to TL2 and NW)
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    shiaika wrote: »
    Beta or no beta "soon" (arghh!!!), I must say: **** yeah! (to TL2 and NW)
    Here's to hoping the beta starts for some (at least) when those keys get sent out!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Well, some people have keys from PAX and E3, but they aren't playing the beta yet, either. So it's no indication.

Those are different as those were given away at events. Devs never said anything about those keys in the old post I posted before. I am referring to what devs said about TL2 keys specifically - namely that they will be sent by email only before CB starts. That is why I said it was indication of approaching beta.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Great news about the the Torchlight promo! This almost makes me want to buy T2! Hmmm....

On the NDA... Do not worry, if there is an NDA, we will be told of such on or prior to gaining access to the the beta test. This is a legal matter so I would rest assured that we will be informed of such when the time comes.
  • Options
    edited September 2012

With the devs saying that some pretty basic game mechanics are still in "heavy development", I doubt NWO is anywhere near ready for beta.
    Those are different as those were given away at events. Devs never said anything about those keys in the old post I posted before. I am referring to what devs said about TL2 keys specifically - namely that they will be sent by email only before CB starts. That is why I said it was indication of approaching beta.

Reposted for clarity:
    What About Beta? What Stage is it in?

Update: 6/23/2012: The Game is currently in an Alpha Phase and Beta has not started yet, but could start the end of Fall 2012 according to the PRNewswire article.

How do I (and how did others) get/will get Beta Key Access?

Those who already received Closed Beta keys for their completing the demo at PAX East/E3 or other conventions as well as those who will get future keys from signing up and pre-ordering Torchlight 2, or lifetime subscription holders for Star Trek Online, Champions Online and other potential lifetime membership options offered by Cryptic and/or PWE (check with your community moderator for details) will receive invitations to a Closed Beta stage, but an actual specific Beta start date is not guaranteed and may vary for different users.

(Note: This answer will be updated as we receive new information.)

Are these the only ways i can get into Open/Closed Beta?

No. As per Stormshade's Archived Reply, there will be other ways to get into Beta, and the pre-order/lifetime memberships is/was just a thank you for those who continued supporting Perfect World Entertainment's Torchlight Series or Cryptic/PWE's lifetime membership purchases. Just registering for this Neveriwnter site will give you a chance to receive a beta key if you participate!

If you have received a Beta Key, see the next questions below.

(Note: This answer will be updated as we receive new information.)

Okay, I have a Beta Key. Where do I enter it? Where can I check that my Beta key entered successfully?

Update: 8/23/2012: Enter the Alphanumeric Beta Key code exactly as you received it (with dashes, but it is not listed as case sensitive at the time of this update) on the "Access Beta" section from their "The Game" drop down menu at the top of this site or may also be accessed as a button on their Main Section. The following is from the Beta Key's own entry location:
    Above the Redeem Key box to enter the beta key code, it tells you if or not the beta key is applied. When it is applied successfully, you will receive the message, "Congratulations, you have activated your beta key for Neverwinter!!"

More steps can be looked up on my FAQ's 1st section
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Reposted for clarity:

More steps can be looked up on my FAQ's 1st section

But I am talking about this post not relevant enough to be linked in FAQs:-

Originally Posted by kellionbane
    I pre-ordered TL2 back in May through Perfect World, just for a beta key for this game, and have not received one. Has anyone actually received a key for Neverwinter through Perfect World?

We have not sent out the keys yet, as the closed beta for Neverwinter has not began at this time.

We'll make sure you get one when the time comes.

Thanks,

Stormshade
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    But I am talking about this post not relevant enough to be linked in FAQs:-

Originally Posted by kellionbane
    I pre-ordered TL2 back in May through Perfect World, just for a beta key for this game, and have not received one. Has anyone actually received a key for Neverwinter through Perfect World?

We have not sent out the keys yet, as the closed beta for Neverwinter has not began at this time.

We'll make sure you get one when the time comes.

Thanks,

Stormshade

And I'm responding to:
    ,,,as well as those who will get future keys from signing up and pre-ordering Torchlight 2, or lifetime subscription holders for Star Trek Online, Champions Online and other potential lifetime membership options offered by Cryptic and/or PWE (check with your community moderator for details) will receive invitations to a Closed Beta stage, but an actual specific Beta start date is not guaranteed and may vary for different users.

You'll get the Beta Key maybe as early as the 20th of September but not be guaranteed in beta yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    You'll get the Beta Key maybe as early as the 20th of September but not be guaranteed in beta yet.

Exactly, but it does indicate that beta will start shortly. Whether me and you can play it, is another matter. But it does seems some indication that it will start shortly. (Just an indication like a small glimmer of light in underdark and you are not sure if it is shine from a drow's hair or is actual sunlight)
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Exactly, but it does indicate that beta will start shortly. Whether me and you can play it, is another matter. But it does seems some indication that it will start shortly. (Just an indication like a small glimmer of light in underdark and you are not sure if it is shine from a drow's hair or is actual sunlight)

I see, *IF* the beta starts is now the question.

Let's just say a mass marketing mailing of keys means it will most likely start possibly soon as within 20-45 days 60 at the most or they are going to have a PR backlash, unless they do some cross-promotional thing like a pre-activity thing to all beta-registered people before the actual beta starts.

I can say there is a testing framework, but don't know what level of detail it is currently and these people may not be...umm...savvy enough for testing..or might; this goes to the marketing or testing question in several other threads even for CB and not OB.

But once you get up to many thousands of keys actually sent, you can't simply say "soon," and not literally have soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    catburger003catburger003 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I wish I have a Beta key :c Other ways other than playing on PAX and pre-ordering TL2? Or do we have to wait until they have announced the closed beta and wait for those mmo sites for give aways?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want to HAMSTER in Neverwinter, whenever I want, for as long as I want.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I wish I have a Beta key :c Other ways other than playing on PAX and pre-ordering TL2? Or do we have to wait until they have announced the closed beta and wait for those mmo sites for give aways?

Lifetime STO and CO people will get into one of the CB stages. The link in my FAQ can take you to the ways into beta question or scroll up where I reposted it here. That's all we have so far, but yes, the marketing people SS included, will list other ways later in the development/release cycle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Usual ways of PWE to disseminate beta keys is to give a thousand or so beta keys to various MMO sites like MMORPG.com etc. where you login quickly and click on "get key" before they finish (usually 2-3 days). Or press like on a certain comment on facebook page and get certain code for first 100 likes etc. Or sending slogans as a contest.

So if you visit forums daily, or check it within 24 hours each day, I believe you will get to know how to get key reasonably, without having to resort to ooolalala-oopsy-e-daisies dance.

EDIT: *gets out of the house and does ooolalala-oopsy-e-daisies dance for practice.*