test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Thank the gods for making this game!

amazingprotonamazingproton Member Posts: 135 Arc User
edited September 2012 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
As an older PnP DnDer, I am fully ecstatic about this game... Games like this truly inspire my imagination and provides an escape from reality to quench my Wanderlust for the world of my Forgotten Realms heroes.

One thing I really look forward to is the appearance of many of Forgotten Realms heroes... one of my favorites being Drizzt Do'Urden. To be able to get a screenshot next to the guy with Gwen at this side, that would be so awesome.

I also hope that like in Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, we can be any race, and slowly build a good reputation or hated reputation toward certain factions based off our actions, and what we choose in the dialog.

In my opinion, Vanguard: SoH was a very great game, very customizable, no foundry... but still had amazing open worlds, the ability to fight nearly everyone, any NPC... the ability to work diplomatically with other races to build reputation and gain access to their cities. (the only problem was it didn't grant as many fans as it should have... and was also created by Sony Online Entertainment...so lots of bugs)

As a Drow on Vanguard.... I had to kill literally hundreds of a certain race lumbering outside of a city before i gained enough friendly points to enter their city, but not enough points to move about so freely... people were still suspicious of me. Later on, i was able to trade with them and etc.

I hope Neverwinter learns from this tactic and make it a realistic MMO with that ability to befriend any race as long as you do certain tasks in their favor, but watch out because you may consequentially lose favoritism toward your own or another allied faction.

Another thing i found amazing about Vanguard was the ability to be out questing or running through a dense forest only to emerge in an open plain to be stepped on by a wandering Giant. It was so cool because in a world like Dungeons and Dragons, such things could happen.

Crafting i found was also very cool... to craft a sword on other games, you had to gather certain materials, yadda yadda yadda... and bling, it's done. On Vanguard, to make a sword, you had to successfully craft a hilt with specific materials (even add magical properties), then you had to successfully craft a blade... working the fire, adding chemicals to prevent a bad Smelting of the metal... then you had to successfully attach the two pieces... and the overall result is given a Grade, from A being outstanding to F being a total dump of a weapon.

Then there were 3 continents to learn crafting from... each with their own style... a master craftsman would be wise to travel to each continent to learn each individual style and expand his crafting repertoire... that too should be a possibility in this game, the chance to fail at crafting certain parts of weapons gives a realism to the crafting system.

And lastly... on Vanguard... A guild can buy a plot of land, and crafters of each Trade can come together to build a Guild House: IE: a Stone worker (part of the mining skill) can make a foundation, then a woodcrafter can form the frame and walls, windows and etc.. then a Clothmaker can specialize in the Thatching skill... and build a roof for the guild house.. the completed works of an entire guild working together.

Then there was the ability to craft your own Ships/boats to travel on water to other areas which would be otherwise, too dangerous to venture on foot. granted, your boat stays where it is, and you cannot take it out of the water... but you can always return to it later.

Once again, I am happy to be part of history as this game is unveiled and I get to step through the gates as one of the few Beta Testers

I'm so happy to be here... and I encourage everyone to tell their friends to join them in the adventures of their lives... a world of imagination, creativity, and impulse.

PS: i may have said a lot for Vanguard... i was a fan of the franchise... but it lacked a playerbase and thus, i lost the desire of wanting to play it due to no other players being around.

That being said.. I am a much bigger fan of Dungeons and Dragons way over tenfold compared to Vanguard... I was only using Vanguard as a focal point to compare with this game... as I do not know how it works yet, I will only have to wait and see.

Though, many elements which were part of Vanguard, I would like to see here... it would add a level of realism that could only rival a real imagination with Pen and Paper... Your world, with real consequences, a chance to fail at menial tasks as you slowly learn to better your trade, finding ways to make money to survive and continue on... Things that would make a game perfect, i understand are hard to emulate...And 10 years down the line, we may see this game in Virtual Reality with our own bodies controlling the actions, and see through the eyes of your character... Wanna view the Underdark as a Drow does? switch to Infrared vision and explore a cave.... That would be amazing.

Comments

• Options
    surf13surf13 Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Welcome amazingproton!

There are many older RPers here, myself included. It's a pretty friendly place and I hope you enjoy your time here!
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    As an older PnP DnDer, I am fully ecstatic about this game... Games like this truly inspire my imagination and provides an escape from reality to quench my Wanderlust for the world of my Forgotten Realms heroes.

Speaking as a fellow RP'er and fellow very long time D&D player, welcome to Neverwinter amazingproton!
    One thing I really look forward to is the appearance of many of Forgotten Realms heroes... one of my favorites being Drizzt Do'Urden. To be able to get a screenshot next to the guy with Gwen at this side, that would be so awesome.

I have some potentially good news for you...
    Will I meet any of the famous characters of Historic Neverwinter?

Due to this taking place a century later, most of those heroes are dead. However, it is said that certain characters from R.A. Salvatore's "Neverwinter Tales" series tied-in with this game will make an appearance, including a certain Drow....

I also hope that like in Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, we can be any race, and slowly build a good reputation or hated reputation toward certain factions based off our actions, and what we choose in the dialog....

As a Drow on Vanguard.... I had to kill literally hundreds of a certain race lumbering outside of a city before i gained enough friendly points to enter their city, but not enough points to move about so freely... people were still suspicious of me. Later on, i was able to trade with them and etc.

I hope Neverwinter learns from this tactic and make it a realistic MMO with that ability to befriend any race as long as you do certain tasks in their favor, but watch out because you may consequentially lose favoritism toward your own or another allied faction.

I'm sorry to say the Developers have decided not to use either alignment or Faction in this game. I'm sure there will be other accolades we can get, but not the traditional ones above.
    While this quote from a post where I clarified the game mechanics on Alignment and Factions based on an unchanged position since 2011 explains they are not used in the game.

Quote:
    As for used in this game:
    From the How Many Factions Will Neverwinter Have? thread.
    Pretty much, it was confirmed waaaay back in a 2011 Neverending Nights article I don't even remember that gillrmn re-quoted once:

NeN: ... What about Alignment? Will selecting an Alignment be available? And will it impact how NPCs within the game interact with you? Or will there be Factions within the game that you can gain or lose favor with?

JE: Neither alignment nor factions play a role in Neverwinter.

that alignments were not going to be used in this gaming system, and this position has not changed since. Of course I welcome any Developer update on alignment if applicable.

Another thing i found amazing about Vanguard was the ability to be out questing or running through a dense forest only to emerge in an open plain to be stepped on by a wandering Giant. It was so cool because in a world like Dungeons and Dragons, such things could happen.

Now more good news to settle the bad there. Not only will be be getting the Foundry, but we can have it where we're walking in one point, and then poof, we're somewhere else in the world from one little step. I'm sure that includes setting up the "roaming monsters" too. Alas the missions are currently instanced, but the devs are working into incorporating if they can make us make open world missions too with said persistent monster groups wandering about!
    Crafting i found was also very cool... to craft a sword on other games, you had to gather certain materials, yadda yadda yadda... and bling, it's done. On Vanguard, to make a sword, you had to successfully craft a hilt with specific materials (even add magical properties), then you had to successfully craft a blade... working the fire, adding chemicals to prevent a bad Smelting of the metal... then you had to successfully attach the two pieces... and the overall result is given a Grade, from A being outstanding to F being a total dump of a weapon.

Then there were 3 continents to learn crafting from... each with their own style... a master craftsman would be wise to travel to each continent to learn each individual style and expand his crafting repertoire... that too should be a possibility in this game, the chance to fail at crafting certain parts of weapons gives a realism to the crafting system.

And lastly... on Vanguard... A guild can buy a plot of land, and crafters of each Trade can come together to build a Guild House: IE: a Stone worker (part of the mining skill) can make a foundation, then a woodcrafter can form the frame and walls, windows and etc.. then a Clothmaker can specialize in the Thatching skill... and build a roof for the guild house.. the completed works of an entire guild working together.

Then there was the ability to craft your own Ships/boats to travel on water to other areas which would be otherwise, too dangerous to venture on foot. granted, your boat stays where it is, and you cannot take it out of the water... but you can always return to it later.

And here is where we get into the unknown. While the deys have said they have an incredible crafting system, you just read the extent of our crafting knowledge. Virtually nothing except a promise. We have no idea how the crafting works, but if the Foundry is any indication it ranges from simple to epic with a wonderful variety of items in appearance and functionality.

But we're really all in the dark here.

Once again, I am happy to be part of history as this game is unveiled and I get to step through the gates as one of the few Beta Testers

I'm so happy to be here... and I encourage everyone to tell their friends to join them in the adventures of their lives... a world of imagination, creativity, and impulse.

PS: i may have said a lot for Vanguard... i was a fan of the franchise... but it lacked a playerbase and thus, i lost the desire of wanting to play it due to no other players being around.

That being said.. I am a much bigger fan of Dungeons and Dragons way over tenfold compared to Vanguard... I was only using Vanguard as a focal point to compare with this game... as I do not know how it works yet, I will only have to wait and see.

And we're all looking forward to historically walking into Neverwinter...or making it from the Foundry ground up.

Again, welcome to Neverwinter amazingproton!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,366 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Welcome to Neverwinter!

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    bardbarianbardbarian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Welcome to the forums!

I noticed you pluralized that. Another pagan on the forums perhaps or just getting into the roleplaying already?
  • Options
    alleybasheralleybasher Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of god(s) therefor I drink Dr. Pepper.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of god(s) therefor I drink Dr. Pepper.

Referring to this mess?

And I take no side in that; just trying to get the reference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Maybe it is a reference to devs as they are always testing the game in 'god' mode. And it has nothing to do with the discussion following after that.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    As a DnD player, the ability to befriend other races who would otherwise have nothing to do with you was always a great challenge to me. As in Sojourn in Legend of Drizzt, Everyone views Dark Elves as evil and such... And in Vanguard, this was also true.... you had to (through your actions, and diplomacy gain the trust of other races/while at the same time gaining hate through another race, who will kill on sight).

I do encourage the Devs to check out the now Free to Play Vanguard: Saga of Heroes and try to implement some of that freedom into this game. Being able to ride dragons, Buy plots of land and Build your own house, build ships ... Seamless world ( I literally swam from one continent to the other just to see if it can happen, it did.. and I died several times in the attempt due to Giant Snapping Turtles along the way.)

Another thing I thought was cool, when you die, you and your possessions become a tombstone where you fell, and you become a ghost with a limited number of time before your gear and money were allowed to be looted.. so you had to return to your body and return to life with your gear.

Thusly, you could also have a friend, who has a Rope in their inventory and they can "Drag" your tombstone to a safe location away from looters... and even watch over it while you return.

I believe the game had 19 playable races: European style humans, African style humans, Japanese style humans, and Arabic Style humans... then there were Wolf Anthropomorphs, Fox Anthros, Large Cat Anthros.. Orcs, Goblins, Lesser Giants, High Elves, Wood Elves, Half Elves, Halflings, Dwarves, and several Barbarian types... being large(Viking like)... then you had Dark Elves and Gnomes. All with the ability to befriend each other's culture either through quests, killing certain common enemies, or Diplomacy.

It was believed that Vanguard was designed to combat the childish playstyle of WoW, Vanguard is so complex that it was mainly designed for Real RPers who wanted a real adventure. even combat was Roll Based in damage... and you tacked on Combinations of attacks to eventually perform a Finishing move.

I've said enough of said game.... I only would like to see this happen in Neverwinter, knowing that not all wishes will come true... but Being a big fan of DnD, I am most definitely going to preorder Neverwinter. or however this will work...

The Free to Play at the start seems a little weird to me since I'm used to paying subscriptions to distinguish myself from the *Cough cough* Freeloaders *Cough Cough* .. i really don't want this game to become a Pay to Win, but I do like being distinguished from the everyday gamer. I do hope there will be something of the sort in the future of the game.

"Thank the Gods" yes... i was merely roleplaying to get into the feel of the game... you gotta mentally prepare yourself for such things.. and I really look forward to making it a big part of my experience, to put myself into the game.
    alleybasheralleybasher Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    bardbarian wrote: »
    Welcome to the forums!

I noticed you pluralized that. Another pagan on the forums perhaps or just getting into the roleplaying already?

Referring to this mess?

gillrmn wrote: »
    Maybe it is a reference to devs as they are always testing the game in 'god' mode. And it has nothing to do with the discussion following after that.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s15e14-the-poor-kid

is the reference

I recognized the original poster used the term "gods" in a rp fashion, when bard barian brought religion into it, i made a reference to agnostic beliefs by referencing south park. that is the chain of events.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I think this:-
    Referring to this mess?

is the reference to this:-
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I wonder what gods people will decide to follow once in the game? what principles will their heart lead their hand? What name will they give the god they decide to follow? the Spider Queen Lolth? Montolio's goddess Mielikki? the god of the Orcs?

It will certainly be very interesting to find out what people come up with...
    vindiconvindicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I wonder what gods people will decide to follow once in the game? what principles will their heart lead their hand? What name will they give the god they decide to follow? the Spider Queen Lolth? Montolio's goddess Mielikki? the god of the Orcs?

Well, my characters are generally faithless by principle. After all, I didn't spend my time in NWN2 destroying the wall of the faithless just for giggles...
    Unless faith in a god is for whatever reason required (cleric, ranger etc) in which case Long Live the Queen! The Spider Queen, that is ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bardbarianbardbarian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Since this game seems to cater to more good/neutral deities, probably Tempus, Tyr, Helm, or Torm. If they permit more evil characters, probably Bane or Talos or Umberlee. Someone like that. Nothing wrong with a little destruction...
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Well met and welcome to Neverwinter! Do nay worry, I believe in the Gods and can attest to their existence and the rise of my beloved Mystryl once again shall soon come to pass. It is only a matter of time.
  • Options
    edited September 2012

I have always had a soft, squishy soft in my heart for Selune.

After 4e, I have some love for Raven Queen too - she is just too temperamental like humans... (undead are bad, but undead which I allow are ok!) I think I even might be in love... [ok time to go sit on the couch for the session]
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I can already tell that this community will be a lot of fun to play with !
    edited September 2012
    I think this:-

is the reference to this:-

Was that the episode where Cartman also became the poorest kid in school? That was a weird and funny one alright!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Was that the episode where Cartman also became the poorest kid in school? That was a weird and funny one alright!

eggzactly!!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I wonder what i'll name my first character...

I drew up a character, its not a very good one .. Found HERE... one which I used to play in DnD... His name is Daethil Aleanurdrenn which I found somewhere online that means: White Wing, Noble House of Light..

I thought up White Wing a long time ago when my friends told me about a Mental world we called the Spirit World (yea generic) but we believed our minds can be astral-projected into this world and we manifest as a being from that world.... The others I was with had told me I was an "Angelic" elf who was in slumber for several millennium, and that I had, in previous lives, accessed this manifestation to help bring peace to the Spirit world, and that I lived in a Castle built on a Floating Island High above the world. I owned a Golden Dragon in which It became my Familiar after I recovered it from an Ancient Pyramid-like tomb, and currently watched the hoard of Gold and jewels I kept within the castle walls.

Everyone had their professions, one of my friends was a Dragon Trainer, and owned several dragons... he put his adventures on Paper in the form of Comic Strips and even did some Computer art of it.. though I have not been able to contact him in years. Another friend was just a Monk who went about his daily business collecting information and passing it on to those who needed to hear it... and finally another friend who was a Ranger of sorts, always on an adventure.

It was kind of uncanny how we'd go to school every day and talk about what we'd do while in Spirit World, and the events tend to match up when we encountered each other in that world.

They all called me White Wing... A somewhat famous hero of the Spirit World.

So I then researched Elven Names.. and came up with the one you see above... seemed fitting, and even sounds very cool.

in the Image above, I even learned Elvish Script and wrote the name as such.

So I was curious what I should name my first character.
    edited September 2012

I drew up a character, its not a very good one .. Found HERE...

I see you are using Tolkien language for 4e character. Let me translate and write the name in "4e elvish" for you. Will take some time but I will link here after making it.

Somebody else has already made the font script.

EDIT: sorry was mistaken. The draconian vocab is in 4e books but not elven vocab. (mistakingly thought I had seen a list). But the script is there (even when difficult to find the word in elvish tongue).
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I wonder if there was an Elvin dictionary for 4E, you'd think people'd play more Elves than Draconian.
    edited September 2012
    I wonder if there was an Elvin dictionary for 4E, you'd think people'd play more Elves than Draconian.

Found some info which may help you, Gillrmn.

"Of course, Dungeons & Dragons has elves. Their language is based heavily off Tolkien's work, as with probably every iteration of elvish created since his time. Sadly, though, I could only find the following quality links regarding their language. There needs to be many more."

Elven Dictionary from Forgotten Realms Wiki

Elven Pidgin (sort of like Spanglish, mixture of Common and Elven)

Elven Language based off the Vaults of Pandius

Ok, So you have said my name is written in Tolkien's Elvish Script... BUT the name Daethil Aleanurdrenn came from This Link which is based off of DnD.

Finally, the following links are general entries pertaining to elven speech. Good for all-purpose use or if you are inspired to create your own elven language.

The Elven Tongue (STYR?SH)
    The Elven Language List
    The Elven Language Page

And Most Importantly: The Language Construction Kit

Racial speech is a very quick way to identify yourself as a roleplayer, and the positive and fun effects it can bring to your game time is immeasurable. Plus, unless you are playing a MMORPG based in the 21st century of today's real life as we know it, all roleplayers should be speaking in game in the language of their avatar.

To Gillrmn: I hope this helps you find the proper way to write the name I have mentioned earlier... I only used Tolkien's Script because there was a great tutorial on it.
    edited September 2012
    Found some info which may help you, Gillrmn.

"Of course, Dungeons & Dragons has elves. Their language is based heavily off Tolkien's work, as with probably every iteration of elvish created since his time. Sadly, though, I could only find the following quality links regarding their language. There needs to be many more."

Elven Dictionary from Forgotten Realms Wiki

Elven Pidgin (sort of like Spanglish, mixture of Common and Elven)

Elven Language based off the Vaults of Pandius

Ok, So you have said my name is written in Tolkien's Elvish Script... BUT the name Daethil Aleanurdrenn came from This Link which is based off of DnD.

Finally, the following links are general entries pertaining to elven speech. Good for all-purpose use or if you are inspired to create your own elven language.

The Elven Tongue (STYR?SH)
    The Elven Language List
    The Elven Language Page

And Most Importantly: The Language Construction Kit

Racial speech is a very quick way to identify yourself as a roleplayer, and the positive and fun effects it can bring to your game time is immeasurable. Plus, unless you are playing a MMORPG based in the 21st century of today's real life as we know it, all roleplayers should be speaking in game in the language of their avatar.

To Gillrmn: I hope this helps you find the proper way to write the name I have mentioned earlier... I only used Tolkien's Script because there was a great tutorial on it.

For the record, on that link where he got his name, I'm Table 2, 3 (88,74)

So I wholeheartedly endorse this :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Found some info which may help you, Gillrmn....[/URL]

Thanks. Certainly as official lexicon does not exists for elves, taking in sindarian words should be fine. At least they have their script.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Its crazy... even after 40 years, nobody has come up with an Official Elven language dictionary... Well i suppose if you did that, you'd have to convert the dialects of the Wood Elves, half-elves.. then create a totally new dictionary for the languages of the Underdark.
    edited September 2012
    ... then create a totally new dictionary for the languages of the Underdark.

Or you can just use french for drows.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Thats pretty cool... I just dont know enough of the French language to do that. :D
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,366 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Or you can just use french for drows.

LMAO! That link is going straight to the guild website - hilarious! Well played Gillrmn!

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    LMAO! That link is going straight to the guild website - hilarious! Well played Gillrmn!

oui oui oui!
    *mutters inaudibly rolling the tongue 'but I was serious, monsieur'*
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I never sound right when I speak French, but I'll try...

I <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in your general direction! Your Mother was a Hamster and your Father smelled of Elderberries!

(And what's scary is I succeeded in my check.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]