test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

release date change

ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Perfect World Entertainment is also pleased to confirm an early 2013 release date for Neverwinter, providing developer Cryptic Studios even more time to add additional content and extra features that the developer team would love to have at launch. Such content includes a robust PvP system. Details on that and other additions will be revealed as Neverwinter's quest to become the biggest and best MMORPG of 2013 continues
PR Newswire

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/neverwinter-dominates-august-with-presence-at-gamescom-gen-con-indy-and-pax-prime-166296956.html

read it and weep ladies and gentleman, I am crying like a baby.b:cry Who do i owe that 5 bux to again

another source in case peeps think im incorrect

http://betanews.com/newswire/2012/08/15/neverwinter-dominates-august-with-presence-at-gamescom-gen-con-indy-and-pax-prime/
Post edited by ryvvik on

Comments

• ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The expected disappointment aside, this is actually good news. The game looks veeery "raw" from the previews, and if they wanted a late 2012 release, they should've been getting ready to launch Beta already. There should also be less competition in spring, so the decision makes marketing sense, too. The MMO market is over-saturated atm.

"Robust PvP system" just don't overdo it. Also, I'd rather see more Foundry options.

I predict an April release, and am stocking up on patience. Looks like I might have to renew my DDO sub after all.

EDIT: Thanks for the additional info.
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    ausdoerrt wrote: »

and am stocking up on patience

you selleing those as potions/ scrolls can i buy some, how many GP eachb:laugh

yeah better to have game polished to perfection, but does this mena beta, gets pushed back seeing how we were thinking it might be september.
    edited August 2012
    ryvvik wrote: »
    does this mena beta, gets pushed back seeing how we were thinking it might be september.

I wonder. Maybe it does mean later beta, or perhaps it means longer beta, you never know.
    you selleing those as potions/ scrolls can i buy some, how many GP each

I'd love to, but unfortunately it's BtC b:chuckle
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I predicted this in my first post earlier this year. It was becoming clearer each month that the game was just not ready.

I view this press release as very good news. It's clear they are now putting all the resources they got into making sure this game is a hit.

The community here is small, but growing. Communication is flowing amongst forumites, and is a fun place to be a part of. I believe many of us are making friends and are building a nice solid community here.

Sounds like a late Q1 2013 release, Q2 at the latest... I'd expect closed beta to start relatively soon, and I bet they are thinking of simply elongating the beta time frame. If so, its brilliant and will allow the community here, as well as the media illuminati to help the dev team shape this game into something they can really be proud of!

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
    edited August 2012
    ryvvik wrote: »
    you selleing those as potions/ scrolls can i buy some, how many GP eachb:laugh

yeah better to have game polished to perfection, but does this mena beta, gets pushed back seeing how we were thinking it might be september.

I dont know. Maybe it gets pushed back... but it also allows them to expand the length of time the game can remain in beta. Game could stay in beta 6-12 months to really tighten all the bolts.

PS: Can I get some of those scrolls too? I'll need to start with at least three stacks of 100... :)

No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    At this rate, beta also delayed to keep it under 3 months. :P

Delaying release date to add more content seems good. There is hope for PvPers (noisy bunch) gets different skills than the PvErs so the constant nerfing and balacing of their game style doesn't impact my PvE. For the rest, more stuff!!

The fact sheet still talks only of fighter, rogue and wizard. At this point, one would have sweared that cleric should have been fixed already! :P
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    shiaika wrote: »
    At this rate, beta also delayed to keep it under 3 months. :P

Delaying release date to add more content seems good. There is hope for PvPers (noisy bunch) gets different skills than the PvErs so the constant nerfing and balacing of their game style doesn't impact my PvE. For the rest, more stuff!!

The fact sheet still talks only of fighter, rogue and wizard. At this point, one would have sweared that cleric should have been fixed already! :P

Actually the PvEers are by far the noiser bunch as they tried to drown out the PvPers when they need to realize a healthy MMO needs to have adequate PvP and PvE and not one being the exclusive.

But I doubt this will delay the beta much if at all. The game is functioning if limited and looks to be beta ready.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    More polish only means good things I think.

I would rather have it right than right now.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Sadly I'm used to them delaying the release date. *pats his Gauntelgrym novel advertising a mid-late 2011 release date for Neverwinter*

Do whatever it takes to get the game working correctly at this point. A few more months won't hurt compared to a year or more delay.

As for the incorperation of PvP, well at least the PvPers should be happy they will be properly considered by release.
    For the record though PvPers are vocal...afterall when things upset their gameplay the effects can be critical. Drowned out or not PvPers have and will forever give loud feedback on every game update. If it effects combat, even a graphical change, there will always be PvPers who get angry with the change...and sadly other games I played often resulted in non-combat updates being complained about because it doesn't give anything toward PvP.

For the most part it makes little sense to argue the fact. They have the most to lose with game updates and make it known. It's not a bad thing.

I do hope they will stick to the Beta time frame though. A longer beta can only improve features and honestly a lot of things are better nipped early to prevent it from being too hard to alter.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Just saw the news and came back to comment.

I have mixed feelings about it. It is definitely not good as in most interviews they have been reiterating the release in 2012. It sets a bad example of devs not fulfilling their commitment.

But it is good for me personally as I would have found it hard to find time to play the game in December. If it comes out in Feb or a little later, would be nice.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    I know what you mean gillrmn.

Like I said I'm used to it by now. I've seen it delayed at least three if not four times now and it's sad that it was expected by myself and others.
    However the progress they have made known to the public since the last delay was leaps and bounds from the delays of the past. The new videos on the foundry uploaded by F2P.com met up to every expectation I could have had in a brief glimpse of what is to come for content development.

It seems like since last December they have gotten a very clear idea of what they are aiming for as a completed game. I guess as the game as a whole came together the 2012 release got a bit unrealistic so to keep with the quality they are aiming for more time was needed. And personally I've seen a lot of great quality progress.

I guess in the end I'm happy with the progress I'm seeing, especially as of late, so I can't bring myself to be upset at a delay.
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    they delay to make it better ? why should i trust the words of a companty that don't keep it's word ?

definilty a big dispointment
  • cybertroll62cybertroll62 Member Posts: 30
    edited August 2012
    One positive possibility....

IF they release the Foundry and BETA soon, then community developers can have time to develope many more adventures for, the masses to explore, when the game is released.

SInce I know the Devs monitor these forums a little, if that is not the plan, perhaps it could be a little bug in their ear... Hint.Hint.Hint.

Given the new reward systems for Community Developement, I know I will be spending more time creating than playing, given I have spent most of my 30+ years of PnP gaming as a DM.

I have soooo many dungeons and adventures I want to put to this format for others to enjoy.
  • thedio777thedio777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 75
    edited August 2012
    what about the beta :O ?
  • lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    been lurking for a while, hoping this game will suit me, better to get it more right that wrong for release, just look at the way Sword of the stars 2 release went to see that releasing a game no where near finished is a disaster.
    Certianly doing beta and foundry would be a good idea as the beta tester can then rate stuff before release and have more content.
    Still want to start playing this game soon as I can as bored of other games mostly.

edit ; Oh and more class types be much better too, hoping there is some customisation there and not purely set like champions online
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
    edited August 2012

IF they release the Foundry and BETA soon, then community developers can have time to develope many more adventures for, the masses to explore, when the game is released.

SInce I know the Devs monitor these forums a little, if that is not the plan, perhaps it could be a little bug in their ear... Hint.Hint.Hint.

Given the new reward systems for Community Developement, I know I will be spending more time creating than playing, given I have spent most of my 30+ years of PnP gaming as a DM.

I have soooo many dungeons and adventures I want to put to this format for others to enjoy.

welcome back to the boards MasterChief, been too long that you have been away!
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I think they delayed because they wanted to make sure pvp was in at launch, adding it later would have given the feel of "afterthought" that would have turned some potential customers that enjoy pvp away.

Well, at this rate it's also legit to expect the ranger in at release.
  • lorddevilkunlorddevilkun Member Posts: 60
    edited August 2012
    I don't think anyone should be surprised- it is an mmo, frankly it'd be more of a shock for it to release when expected- especially when they haven't nailed down a solid release date to begin with.

I'm a little surprised pvp will make it in- pvp is a slippery slope, and even when pvpers are a minority- they are the loudest group and they can and will drag down a good pve game by drowning out everything positive with pvp bashing- an obvious recent example is SWTOR, which widely received good pve reviews, was popular and innovative in that aspect- but 99% of what you heard was griping on the pvp system, and that simply dominated all talk on the game and dragged it down.

Add to that balancing issues- you will start the game with people very pleased with balance and people who hate it, those who hate it will gnash their teeth and leave- then the game will be changed to please those who left, in turn pissing off those who stayed- and those who stayed are now leaving too. It happens in every single mmo that comes out.

I enjoy pvp, in fact, I do 90% pvp at endgame in mmos I play so I'm definitely more of a pvper- but, I don't like what pvp does to the overall games, and I have yet to see a pvp community that was anything more than downright awful. I hate to make the prediction- but I see pvp becoming a black spot on this game, one that could overshadow all the potentially good things about it. I sure hope they know what they're doing- and they're looking at games that tried pvp lately and had it ruin the entire game.
    edited August 2012

Amen.

A 6 month+ long beta would be truly evolutionary to the precedent set by that "other" online D&D game. If the dev team makes it their goal to really involve the community in improving certain aspects of the game, in back and forth conversation, polls, keeping us in the loop on progress in a transparent, honest, and forthright fashion (unlike what we've seen up until now), I think they'll have a winner, in addition to earning back the respect of those of us that have "heard it all before."

After reading that press release, I felt uplifted that they finally "get it."

Let's hope they do...

edited August 2012
    Minecraft was basically released while it was in Beta. Sure officially 1.0 was their official release but the alpha and beta stage lasted for many months if not a year.

This gave the developers the chance to truly build the game for the player base. I hope this will become revolutionary for other games as well.
    Honestly an "official" release isn't as important as transparent back and forth communication with players in order to ensure a quality "official" release.
    edited August 2012
    I dunno, I'm kinda torn on whether the devs should listen too much to the fans during development. Too much attention can be detrimental too, and will spoil the player base into feeling like every little request should be considered.

Ultimately, it's the devs' vision not ours that should go into the game. There are likely more people who will want to play the game than those on the forums or those (lucky b@st@rds) who eventually get their Beta keys... It's always nice when the devs listen to major community concerns, but if you try to implement everything, you'll end up with a half-broken gargantuan monstrosity.

Now, once the game is actually out and their main job is sustaining the game, monitoring bugs, balancing and releasing new content, then listening to the community will be more important.
    Minecraft was basically released while it was in Beta. Sure officially 1.0 was their official release but the alpha and beta stage lasted for many months if not a year.

Not sure that's the best example. Even setting the kind of opinion war aside before it ever starts, games like Minecraft or Mount&Blade (a batter example) were made by indie developers, so I'm not sure if Cryptic qualifies for the same amount of leeway...
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    Cryptic and all dev in interviews actually said the game should be released at the end of 2012, but they also metion thats NOT the official release date.

I cant wait to start playing neverwinter but if they need more time, well its probably to add more things to the game, maybe its not an development delay but more time to devs add new more features that wasnt in the cicle.

Maybe, just maybe they are adding things that some of the community post in this foruns :P
    edited August 2012
    *nods* Indeed problems can arrise.

What is more important than most other things is to tweak out what the developers wanted to do. Refine the system and make adjustments accordingly.

Understand that as a developer there's a lot of features that are not ideal when you design them but because you designed them you wouldn't ever consider it a problem. After messing around with features for so long it becomes second nature but fresh eyes can and often do have sever problems adjusting to it. It's the same reason books get edited by a separate person before they are released.
    It's things like these which are the main cause for alpha and Beta.

If you look at Diablo 3...it honestly it feels like the whole post release was nothing more than a Beta with all the balancing issues they're dealing with. The game's number one failure is that it was so out of balance it wasn't fun to play once you reached inferno.
    That is a perfect example as to why you want to see a long Beta.

Also I truly, truly think the worst thing a developer can say is "screw you this is my game and I'll do what I want."
    It's a balancing act, as always.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I honestly feel that foundry has been such a big part of this development that is more or less why there is a delay a solid three to five month beta would more or less give them ample opportunity to resolve most major issues should they arise.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • stormshadestormshade Member, Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hey folks,

I understand the disappointment regarding the release date. We were pushing pretty hard for a 2012 release.

However, after seeing the reaction to Neverwinter, which has been incredibly positive, both on the forums here, FaceBook, and at PAX East and E3, we decided it may be beneficial to take a few extra months to make Neverwinter an even better game at release.

This is a truly great thing for Neverwinter, and Cryptic Studios. We havn't had the luxury of being able to delay a game to ensure the highest quality possible release in some time. Having Perfect World, and WotC, both agree to allow us to take that extra time is truly a blessing.

We'll be able to make Neverwinter a much better game with these extra few months, and provide a fuller, richer set of features than we would have previously.

Thanks,

Stormshade
  • qumi0qumi0 Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Does this mean that beta will be also delayed?
  • mrbuttflakesmrbuttflakes Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I say take you're time and make it the best it can be. I do hope on the other hand beta won't be delayed so we can help in any way possible.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    stormshade wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I understand the disappointment regarding the release date. We were pushing pretty hard for a 2012 release.

However, after seeing the reaction to Neverwinter, which has been incredibly positive, both on the forums here, FaceBook, and at PAX East and E3, we decided it may be beneficial to take a few extra months to make Neverwinter an even better game at release.

This is a truly great thing for Neverwinter, and Cryptic Studios. We havn't had the luxury of being able to delay a game to ensure the highest quality possible release in some time. Having Perfect World, and WotC, both agree to allow us to take that extra time is truly a blessing.

We'll be able to make Neverwinter a much better game with these extra few months, and provide a fuller, richer set of features than we would have previously.

Thanks,

Stormshade
    I, for one, am not disappointed. I am very glad that you are being allowed to and are taking extra time to polish the game as well as it can before it does have to be released, financially. This move says a lot to me, positively, about the goals and leadership in both Cryptic and Perfect World Entertainment where Neverwinter is concerned. I am glad see see that Neverwinter is continuing to get the development attention that is so rightly deserves, by just being a Forgotten Realms product. Above all other IPs that I am terribly fond of, the Forgotten Realms is one that I hold in highest regard, compassion, and love.

Thanks be to all responsible for allowing furthered attention to a well-deserved title. Indeed.

I must ask though, do pray-tell, shall the beta phases also be cusomarily pushed back or shall they continue as planned and if the latter, shall we be seeing a longer closed and open beta-period? I, personally, feel that a longer beta period would be great, even if it didn't "need" it.
  • kronarchykronarchy Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm a little surprised pvp will make it in- pvp is a slippery slope, and even when pvpers are a minority- they are the loudest group and they can and will drag down a good pve game by drowning out everything positive with pvp bashing- an obvious recent example is SWTOR, which widely received good pve reviews, was popular and innovative in that aspect- but 99% of what you heard was griping on the pvp system, and that simply dominated all talk on the game and dragged it down.

PvP was always going to be a part of NWO....eventually. i dont think the game was delayed just so it could be introduced at launch. more likely other issues arose that would delay the game and a dicision was made to push it back to the same time as the pvp was due to come into it.

SWTOR wasnt dragged down by PvPers. its developement was mis-focused on the leveling portion of the game, with the endgame being a mere afterthought. this is made even more apparant by the legacy system that was introduced. what did the legacy system encourage? rolling alts. lots of them. of every race and class of both factions. ie: they encouraged the players to replay the leveling part of the game over and over and over again.
    mind you, the leveling part of the game was totaly awesome, money well spent if it was a single player RPG. it did wear a bit thin after the second and third run throughs, even with the different class stories.

however, you do have a point that badly implemented pvp can ruin a game. the solution isnt to ignore pvp all together, but rather to focus on getting it right the first time.

P.S. for how a games company can make a great game by listening to their players, look no further than RIFT.
    they weren't perfect, the made mistakes, but the listened and acted on what they were hearing. RIFT is now a better game for it.