test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Answers from the Developers

gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
edited March 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Questions answered in forums, Outside forum sources not covered.

Also, see post 1:
As same questions are being asked time and again in new threads, I decided to make a new threads with most of the responses by devs on the forums regarding the questions. I have tried to categorize them so it is easier for users to search before asking same questions again.

These are not FAQs, FAQs are here by truthseeker. These are the clarifications sought by users from devs and their responses(with a few cookies) categorized for easy reading.

Part1
Part2
Part3
Part4
Part5
~~~~
The parts in index have been answered by devs and benefit a lot of users.
Index

• Mac/Unix systems?
  • Multiple beta keys?
  • I qualify for key. When will I receive the key?
  • Free vanity items in game?
  • D&D Skills, stealing, stealth, swimming etc.?
  • Which areas from faerun will be in game?
  • Will there be more classes?
  • gods?
  • alignment?
  • puzzles?
  • Will maps created be f2p?
  • Single server?
  • @handles.

Whereis?

- Post 3 -> Game Hardware part 2
- Post 3 -> Game Beta
- Post 3 -> Game Beta
- Post 2 -> Game Management and finances
- Post 2 -> Gameplay -> Character progres...
- Post 2 -> Gameplay -> Mechanics
- Post 3 -> Classes part 2
- Post 2 -> Roleplay -> pantheon(gods) and Alignment
- Post 2 -> Roleplay -> pantheon(gods) and Alignment
- Post 2 -> Official Missions
- Post 2 -> Foundry
- Post 2-> Game Hardware
- Post 3 -> Roleplay part 2
Post edited by gillrmn on

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2012
    As same questions are being asked time and again in new threads, I decided to make a new threads with most of the responses by devs on the forums regarding the questions. I have tried to categorize them so it is easier for users to search before asking same questions again.

These are not FAQs, FAQs are here by truthseeker. These are the clarifications sought by users from devs and their responses(with a few cookies) categorized for easy reading.

Answered by Stromshade unless otherwise stated:-

-Gameplay-
    --Character progression, char customisation and game structure--
    Q: The levels are said to range from 0 to 60, does it mean we will have 0 level characters and paragon paths?
    A: You'll start at level 1, I'm not sure where 0 comes from. The 60 levels will represent the "Heroic and Paragon Tiers" to use 4th Ed. terminology.
    Q: Will there be skill challenges?
    A: I also can't talk about this yet.
    Q: How much variety will we have in making characters appearances?
    A: I think if Cryptic were to ever release a game without a strong and robust character creator, we'd be lynched. It's something that we really love doing, and that our fans really enjoy having access to, so you shouldn't be disappointed.
    Q: should we expect tactical/strategic fights like we have in some MMO's raids , or just tank the boss and dps him to dead :P
    A: Tactics should definitely come into play.
    Q: Will we get a real multi-level dungeon mapping system that can be resized and/or turned off?
    A: I don't know if we'll be as robust as Google Earth, but our maps are pretty good in CO and STO, so I think we should be pretty solid on that front. This being said, we do love getting feedback from our community, and we can look at ways to improve mapping later on down the line if what we ship with doesn't do it for you all.
    Q: Will stealth mean something? What about rangers and rogues?
    A: We'll be talking more about skills later on, right around the same time we talk Character progression.
    Q: If we get a cloak of Elvin Kind will we actually be able to see it on our avatars (IE Visible cloaks)
    A: Cloaks shouldn't pose a problem. You can even see some in our trailers!
    Q: Will each weapon have it's own combat animations or will everyone have the same set no matter what they are fighting with?
    A: Well, you swing a sword like a sword, and daggers like daggers... Regardless of whether they're a +1 flaming weapon, or just a normal weapon. Please remember that adding in a different set of animations for most every weapon n the game would be very time consuming and expensive. The animation time alone might add on another few years to development time. That said, I'm sure there will be some variations between different weapon types.

--Mechanics--
    Q: How strong is the soft targeting in ranged and in melee?
    A: I don't really understand the question, so, I would ask you to clarify if my this doesn't do the trick:
    Targeting in Neverwinter is different than in most other MMOs. TAB Targetting doesn't exist, you'll use a targeting reticule to mouse over an enemy, and activate the attack/power/ability you wish to use. It works really well, and makes combat very fluid. Rogues can jump from enemy to enemy, Control Wizards (what you saw at PAX East) can easily switch targets, lifting one enemy up to take it out of the fight with Bigsby's grasping hand, flinging an ice spear at another, and then channeling ray of frost to slow down, and eventually lock another in it's place. It works very well, and is incredibly fluid.

Q: How common are the spots where powers can be exchanged?
    A: This could be changing from here to launch, but right now, it's as easy as bringing up your powers window and dragging a new power into your action bar.
    Q:The numbers 1 utility, 2 at wills, 2 encounters and 1 daily are lowish. Will they be constant or will they be lower at start and perhaps increase beyond that?
    A: I can't say right now. I know it "seems" low, especially when you're used to more traditional MMO controls. But it feels great when you're playing. In fact, I think if there were many more, it may start to become cumbersome.
    Q: What is the mechanic for regaining hit points and spell points/mana after combat?
    A: Take a look at one of the many gameplay videos from PAX East. There's no mana to worry about, and we'll have a variety of ways to regain lost health.
    Q: What will be done to avoid the Leeeeroooooy!!! factor? Will there be combat techniques to enhance simply hack n slash? Will there be useful, powerful crowd control spells that will make questing a lot more fun for many?
    A: Yes, and yes.
    Q: Will a shield be able to block attacks?
    A: Yes, I mean, it has to be good for something right?
    Q: Is the game just going to feature neverwinter and associated dungeons or will it stretch out to luskan, silverymoon or farther?
    A: To start, Neverwinter, and the surrounding areas.
    A: [Latest statement Update
    As far as Neverwinter is concerned, we're focusing on the city itself, and the surrounding areas. As many of you have already mentioned, the world of Toril is vast, and Faer?n itself is a very large continent.

There are naturally quite a few different areas outside of Neverwinter's surroundings we would like to look into, and be able to bring to life. However, I think that focusing on this one area, and the myriad of adventures that you can find there, will make for a better game at release.

We'll be talking some more about the different areas in the game as we move closer to launch. Some of them (such as Vellosk) you'll recognize immediately from the source material. Other areas however, you will find have been created specifically for Neverwinter.

--Classes and Races--
    Q: Long ago Ranger and Cleric were also announced in an interview. Now we hear that only Rogue, Fighter and Wizard were announced. How is it then?
    A: We're were only showing the Rogue, Fighter, and Wizard. More are coming, and Cleric's will definitely be in. We're not saying anything about the ranger at the moment though. Sorry!
    Q: Do you plan subraces system that was introduced in Neverwinter Campaign Setting?
    A: Got it. I don't have a solid answer for that right now. However, I'm pretty sure we'll be talking more about character customization and creations as we get closer to release.
    Q: Actually on the topic of a race like genasi, how would you handle their liquid move for watersoul and flying ability for windsoul?
    A: Good question... I'll let you know later...

--Pets, mounts and items--
    Q: Miniature giant space hamster social pet. Yes or HELL YES?
    A: I'm not 100%, but Bioware may hold the rights to Boo. I'll suggest looking into this though.

RolePlay
    --pantheon(gods) and Alignment --
    Q: Will we be able to choose alignment and deities?
    A: I'm not sure if we'll have flags for this, or will just leave it up to the RPers to handle it.
    Q: Will we have dialogue choices?
    A: I can't comment here yet either.
    Q: Is it possible to assign macro so that whenever I cast a spell, an incantation is automatically spoken by my PC(e.g. in local chat by macro-ing a key, So whenever I press Q for Cure Light Wounds, my chracter types, "I call upon XXY deity to help my allies!" in locl chat)}
    A: This should be possible.

--Official Missions--
    Q: What about puzzles? - maybe a door is guarded by a magic mouth and you have to know the answer to a riddle to get past it. etc.
    A: Entirely possible, but I'm not giving out any details. Let me just say this, there are some really awesome DMs on the content team. :D
    Q: Will we have varied quest types?
    A: Things like this are definitely possible. We'll have to wait and see what the Content Designers cook up for us!

--Foundry--
    Q: What is the maximum size of maps created by Foundry?
    A: Is "Big" a good enough answer? :p
    Q: Will the maps created by players that are really good be implemented in the game for everyone to have access to them ?
    A: All player created content from The Foundry will be available in game for the community to have access to.
    Q: Will it be possible for a player to take on the role of a DM for foundry-created content, like in NWN?
    A: Yes, and no. Yes, you will be able to create adventures for your friends to play through. No, you will not be able to jump in and modify those scenarios on the fly, or take over certain NPCs. Remember more info on The Foundry will be forthcoming.
    Q: Just a little question here but will the Foundry be available in an in-game editor or will it be in a separate programme? Looks really innovative.
    A: It's built right into the game, and the client you'll use for playing the game.
    Q: how steep will the learning curve be with the Neverwinter toolset?
    A: Again, more on The Foundry is coming, but if you're used to the old NWN Toolsets, you shouldn't have a gigantic learning curve.

--Game Hardware--
    Q: Will there be shards with different rulesets, like in PvE, RP-PvE, etc?
    A: No, we have some pretty solid tech that allows us to have a "one server" solution. So you don't have to worry about whether your friends are on the X or Y server before starting out. You can just jump right in game! The downside, is this means no enforced rule sets.

--Game Management(and finances)--
    Q: Are all classes that are immediately available on release (and planned to be in a future build: )
    =released playable (or will be playable) for free immediately
    =some be available for free after an "unlock" of some kind
    =some classes must be paid for or are "premium?"

A: We're still working out the details of our MT/Cash Shop Strategy. So, I can't answer this right now. What I can say, is to take a look at the idea of Questionite and Dilithium in CO and STO.
    Q: What are your plans for community involvement?
    A: I love empowering communities to do as much as they can, and this is a part of what The Foundry is all about. I'm not sure about server wide events, but we'll have a good relationship.
    Q: Don't let exploiters ruin this game. Will you stand by your EULA and Code of Conduct?
    A: Of course! We have a pretty strong reputation for standing by our rules, and enforcing them here.
    Q : Will there be some cosmetics even for those who dont want to use real life money o have i understand-ed something completely wrong that we'll be able to buy cosmetics and some bonuses using real life money?
    A: There will definitely be ways to earn cosmetic things in-game, as well as through the MT store.

--Game Marketing--
    Q: My only question: Could you release slightly information once in a while (once per 2weeks?) just to keep forums alive?
    A: I'm going to do my best. I know the past few months have been hard on the community, but, we are back in full swing now, so the information drought should be almost non-existent from here out.

--Misc--
    Q: How has affected the change to MMORPG to the campaign that you were developing?
    A: From what I understand, the primary campaign we were originally developing is still there. However, there is also now a large amount of other, equally awesome stuff to do as well.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Game Beta
    Q: Where is my beta key? {I ordered Torchlight 2 through Perfect World}//{I am lifetime subscriber to CO or STO}
    A: As a general reminder folks, the closed beta test for Neverwinter has not began. Due to this, no keys have been e-mailed out. We'll be e-mailing out keys to those of you who have earned them as soon...
    Q: What some of us were wondering was about the type of beta key and if one would grant access before the other? ...would grant you access first...or is that wrong and everyone will get in at the same time??
    A: Everyone will be phased in throughout the Closed Beta Test.
    So, what kind of key shouldn't matter so much, just as long as you have one.

Q: If I get more than one key, can I transfer it?
    A: If you qualify to get a key for the CBT through multiple means, you still will only get one key.
    Beta Access isn't transferable, so multiple keys would actually be somewhat redundant.

Q: When can i haz beta?
    A: Just a quick note on this: Please remember that we will be phasing in CBT participants, including CO and STO Lifetime subscribers as the beta progresses. This means that you may not receive Beta access on day one of the Closed Beta Test if you are a lifetime subscriber of Champions or Star Trek. You may need to wait awhile.
    That said, I promise you will gain access to the Closed Beta.

Q: i can haz beta?
    A: It's true! There's a ton of ways to get into the closed beta for Neverwinter. Not all of them are available yet. We'll be talking more about this very soon.

Game Art (Dioxazine answers in this thread)
    Customary WARNING: Dioxazine's responses are usually funny so don't drink hot beverages while reading that thread.
    Q: I've got a question related to the starburst animations that seem to occur on melee contact of each hit. It seems really excessive to me. Blinding in fact.
    A: I checked in on this, and thankfully there are controls to adjust a lot of effects, so this shouldn't blind anybody. Unless they want it to, in which case you can crank that bloom to max and go to town on some bad guys.

Roleplay Part 2
    Q: @handles as in CO/STO? Would they be in NW too?
    A: @handles are going to be in Neverwinter.
    I understand that some people find these immersion breaking, however, as has already been pointed out in this thread, you can disable them.
    Having @handles in our games really helps people to be able to play the character they want to play. You're not going to see people running around with the name, "Soulbadger1569" in Neverwinter, because someone who wants to be "Souldbadger" will be able to use that as their character name.
    I'm not too sure about the rest of you, but if "Soulbadger" becomes some really popular name for some reason, I'd rather not see a bunch of "Soulbadger<randomnumbers>" or "Xa_Soulbadger_aX" running around in game.
    For me, that breaks immersion a little more than an @ handle, which in all honesty can be easily ignored for RP purposes, or even turned off.

//Also melanderi: "After querying the appropriate deities, we can safely say that your cryptic handle will display in game."//
    Q: What is the game based on? What pnp campaign, books etc. should we read for setting and lore?
    A: I suggest the official 4th Edition Forgotten Realms Player's Handbook, and Campaign Setting, as well as the Neverwinter Campaign Setting.
    Also, R.A. Salvatore has been working on The Neverwinter Trilogy, which is also taking place in and around Neverwinter. The first book in the series is called, "Guantylgrym".

Gameplay Part 2
    Q: Balance of Casters Vs Melee
    A: Since we're using quite a few 4th edition mechanics in our combat system, I think you'll find that the balance between the classes is actually pretty well done. Everyone always has something they can bring to the fight, and your level one wizard doesn't become a staff fighter with 1d4 HP after casting his one magic missile that he could prep for the day.
    Likewise, Fighters and other physical classes have abilities which feel suitably powerful, and more durability than the casters do.

Q: from what i understand "resting" isn't gonna be part of the game, spells/abilities will just have individual timers
    A: There's a form of resting in the game, but it's not needed to memorize new spells.
    Since we're basing gameplay off of 4th Ed. Rules, this means that you'll have "At-Will" powers, which you can always use, "Encounter" powers, which will be on a short cool down timer, and "Daily" powers, which can only be used after a longer period of time.

Classes part 2
    Q:Are the classes limited? Are all class builds the same?
    A: There's really no limit to the number of classes we can add into Neverwinter.
    We're starting off with a few of the more iconic classes, and then we'll be adding in more to the game as time goes on. I'm personally pretty excited about this, just from hearing the team talk about all the different classes, and races, they want to be able to add into the game eventually.

Q: Duregar dwarves in game?
    A: We'll be adding more classes to the game as time goes by. So, while we most likely won't be seeing Duregar at launch, it's possible we may see them later down the line.

Foundry Part 2
    Here is overflow bag for new questions by crypticmapolis
    Q: With the Foundry having a somewhat separate beta cycle, will it be ready at the same time as the rest of the game?
    A: Most certainly. It's a feature we won't be launching without.
    Can we interact with the environment items, such as chairs... sitting to lift a drink to fallen friends!
    I'm actually not sure if this kind of thing will make it in for launch... but it would be pretty easy to add since we already do it in STO. I'll see if I can at least add some interactable chairs to the foundry.
    Transitioning from one area to another (not UGC), such as one district of Neverwinter to another. Will there be a loading screen or will it feel seamless as you travel through a gate the area ahead of you is already loading?
    At the moment, Neverwinter is all large instanced adventure zones with instanced missions attached to those. This lets you attach your mission to nearly any door or gate in the city, and you can convincingly "add" content to existing zones without fighting other authors for real estate.
    Is will there be audio dialogue options available or will it all be text based? Also will there be cutscenes editors in the foundry and will there be audio features like music?
    I don't really have enough concrete information to answer this one yet, sorry :(
    Are there any safeguards over ridiculously overly hard quests besides rating the quest?
    We have a rating and vetting system for this kind of thing. When you publish a quest, it will not be available to the public until it is approved by players who have signed up to be a Foundry reviewer. By becoming a reviewer, you gain the privilege to approve a new quest listing, but you also have to accept that you might run into some bad content. Even if a quest passes the review stage, it has a general star rating system, so the cream will rise to the top.
    My concern regarding this is very specific. Namely, will the criteria to allow foundry quests allow flavor quests to be included?
    Absolutely! The reviewer system is primarily to weed out quests that exploit, grief, or otherwise violate the EULA... Not to judge overall quality. A newly published quest must be rated by at least 5 reviewers before it's available to the public, but even if all 5 give it a 1-star rating, it should pass the initial review stage.
    I suppose this means you can pay someone in "zen." Can you donate real money as well using a credit card?
    You can donate using in-game currency, specifically the time based currency that can be converted to Zen through an exchange (like Dilithium in Star Trek Online). No real cash though.
    What was that she mentioned about costing levels to develop Foundry content?
    AFAIK there is nothing in the Foundry or Neverwinter that causes you to lose levels or XP, nor would I ever expect there to be. She was probably talking about leveling up your Dungeon Master, which is a system of DM achievements we will be adding as an extra perk for Foundry authors. That system is only in the preliminary discussion stage though so we don't have a final design I can discuss.
    Persistent maps remain a goal for the Foundry team, though I can't say weather this will be in at launch. From our early design discussions, we essentially want it to be a type of map you can publish that functions as a social map, but with contacts and doors that you can link other foundry quests to. This will allow authors to use persistent maps for a whole slew of purposes, from social maps to quest hubs to guild housing.

Game Hardware part 2
    Q: Using WINE for NW
    A: [CrypticCliff]
    A bit of work has been done to ensure that our engine runs under WINE, but this isn't the kind of thing we officially support.
    I recommend looking into the Star Trek Online and Champions Online threads related to running the game on Mac/Linux with WINE:

Q: Native client for Mac and/or -NIX?
    [CrypticCliff]
    A: Hi. We're using our Windows-only engine to make the game, but there has been some work to ensure it works under WINE. Check the Mac user thread for details, because it'll require a setup similar to the STO Linux/Mac players.
    <link>
    I'm an Ubuntu user at home and a programmer here at Cryptic, so I'll probably keep up with people trying to run under WINE also.

One server
    We've been using a "single server" architecture at Cryptic for some time now. In fact, we've been doing this since Champions Online launched in 2009.
    It has some pretty serious upsides. For instance:
    If you and 6 buddies all want to play Neverwinter, you don't have to worry about which server to choose. You'll all be on the same server.
    We find that this tends to be incredibly convenient for our players, and works very well from an operations standpoint as well.

Misc
    Q: Engine used by the game?
    A: We're using the Cryptic Engine. The Game looks and plays really well right now. I can't wait for you all to get your hot little hands on it!

Forums [melanderi managed the users on forums for account merger - more guidance on FAQs by truth with links so skipping that part]
    Q: Switching to other language:
    A: You do have to log back in to the website if you switch from the English site to the German site. This is normal.
    Q: Problems accessing forums -
    A: Which browser(s) have you tried so far?
    You said you deleted your cookies, but did you also clear your cache?
    As much as I personally enjoy Chrome, be sure you try Firefox as well.

Q: Bear smileys.
    A: The cutsie smilies work fine. See my test of them above. Are they ideal in appearance? No, they are ]not. But really, they're smilies, there are much bigger issues to get worked up over.
    A: If the bear smilies are our biggest concern right now, I'd say we've done a pretty darn good job!
    That said, I'll look into seeing if we can get a different set of smilies enabled. For now, let's just try to make the best of the cuteness.
  • Options
    plamgarplamgar Member Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    Great job man ! But i doubt this will stop the people with the same questions to ask them again.You know how people are.And again,well done.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    plamgar wrote: »
    Great job man ! But i doubt this will stop the people with the same questions to ask them again.You know how people are.And again,well done.

:)
    Well, its a list for myself too. Like I had completely forgotten melandari had already confirmed @handles and I asked in the forums again (which was still answered :p )
    So in case I am in doubt I can come back and check here for all the clarifications given by devs.
  • Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,366 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    So have they answered the million dollar question? Will we get Francis?

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    mrbuttflakesmrbuttflakes Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well done! Thanks for taking the time to compile this info.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Well done! Thanks for taking the time to compile this info.

It is not complete, but I will keep updating it as much as I can.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Updated crypticmapolis's replies to our foundry questions.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Since the Foundry and delay release postings, are there any Dev/community post answers on these issues than can be added here?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Since the Foundry and delay release postings, are there any Dev/community post answers on these issues than can be added here?

Didn't add it here as it was more of an announcement but I will quote SS fro you:-
    Hey folks,

I understand the disappointment regarding the release date. We were pushing pretty hard for a 2012 release.

However, after seeing the reaction to Neverwinter, which has been incredibly positive, both on the forums here, FaceBook, and at PAX East and E3, we decided it may be beneficial to take a few extra months to make Neverwinter an even better game at release.

This is a truly great thing for Neverwinter, and Cryptic Studios. We havn't had the luxury of being able to delay a game to ensure the highest quality possible release in some time. Having Perfect World, and WotC, both agree to allow us to take that extra time is truly a blessing.

We'll be able to make Neverwinter a much better game with these extra few months, and provide a fuller, richer set of features than we would have previously.

Thanks,

Stormshade

So NW is no longer considered a dark horse but a prime investment.
    I understand, and really wish I could answer, questions about the Neverwinter Beta. However, we can't answer those questions at this time. We'll make sure to let you all know when things start up, and probably well in advance of when they start up.

Cheers,

Stormshade
    Still tight-lipped about beta.
    ~~~~
    Apart from that, before announcing the delay in launch, SS told us honestly that game was facing some issues on which they were working. I really like the honest reply:-

Link

There has been recent communication from devs, but mainly from SS and Crypticmapolis.
    ~~~~
    Also another post of interest was from a disgruntled poster (whih was surprising as game wasn't even released) to which SS replied.
    Link
    ~~~~
    Another post of SS which was important:-
    Hey folks,

As far as Neverwinter is concerned, we're focusing on the city itself, and the surrounding areas. As many of you have already mentioned, the world of Toril is vast, and Faer?n itself is a very large continent.

There are naturally quite a few different areas outside of Neverwinter's surroundings we would like to look into, and be able to bring to life. However, I think that focusing on this one area, and the myriad of adventures that you can find there, will make for a better game at release.

We'll be talking some more about the different areas in the game as we move closer to launch. Some of them (such as Vellosk) you'll recognize immediately from the source material. Other areas however, you will find have been created specifically for Neverwinter.

Thanks,

Stormshade
    ~~~~
    I would have included those, but those are not all useful for users who want to know more about the game by asking questions from the devs.
  • Options
    tuukkasalonentuukkasalonen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Excellent job gillrmn.
    Now, care to tell us how long time you spent on this project?
    I am inactive and I know it
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Excellent job gillrmn.
    Now, care to tell us how long time you spent on this project?

hehe, lets just say my room is full of coffee cups and if I spit in the garden, a coffee tree will grow up from there.
  • Options
    tuukkasalonentuukkasalonen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    hehe, lets just say my room is full of coffee cups and if I spit in the garden, a coffee tree will grow up from there.

Point taken.
    I am inactive and I know it
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Fantastic! Great work as always gillrmn!

*Waters the tree with chocolate syrup and hopes to change it to a Mocha tree*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    Looking that the best free mmo vid, they say release earlier 2013, and beta 2 months before that. SO I would say it wont start until least October.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Questions awaiting response (also posted here)

Character Customisation
    • Can male tiefling be made with and without facial spikes?
    • Will my Deva Swordmage be able to customize his tattoos?
    • Will there be aging?
    • Will cosmetic items have multiple ways they can be worn if applicable?

Social
    • Is there LFG/LFM panel; automatic ques for dungeons?
    • Is there a system to recruit guild players outside of game or before release?

Roleplay/Story
    • Are other books(apart from Drizzt novel) being used in NW (Brimstone angels and Cold Steel and Secrets)?
    • Would there be event related to Rise of Underdark?
    • Can we explore Gauntlgrym at some point in main plot?
    • Are there mystery based events/quests? (like a detective story)

Game Mechanics
    • Can a rogue climb as in CO and launch surprize attacks?
    • Can we visit motes like Moonstone Mask?
    • Are critical hit/saving throw mechanics present in the game?
    • How many powers (encounter/daily/utility) can be equipped at a time?
    • What weapons will be available(manctacher?)?
    • Can players and/or NPC's hide within objects?
    • Will environmental audio get much attention in Neverwinter?
    • Is durability implemented to weapons/armor/equipments in game?
    • Will rust monster eat iron and wood weapon would be good idea to fight them?
    • Will rules for encumbrance be present?
    • how customizable are the keys?
    • Is swimming implemented?
    • Will there be night/day cycle? Or weather?
    • Will Monsters when reduced to there Bloodied hitpoint lvl, go troppo on the group and unleash there powerfull attacks/Powers, hopefully to see some randomization with regards to there tactics, in delves ect?
    • Do wizards get to use staffs in combat animation?
    • Would rituals be implemented into the game?
    • Will the game have any in-game narration or character voices for NPCs?
    • Can the great weapon fighter use scythe as a two handed weapon?

Forums/Website
    Any blog like post will be added to website?

Misc
    • How long is soon(days/weeks/months/quaters/years)?
    • Is the whole world going to be just one giant map or are they going to be separated map per map by portals?
    • What are the 2 green icon at the left of the UI bar that we can see in the video?
    • Will there be PC housing, or guild housing?
    • Is there any way we can save our character presets at beta, so as to save time at launch?
    • As a Mac user who has Parallels and CrossOver, I was wondering if your team has tried any testing with these VM?
    • Why are official gameplay videos bad-looking compared to the footage of gameplay at events?
    • What role do deities play in the game? Are the deity specific paragon paths and/or domains available? Or do they plan to implement them at some time?
    • Will Neverwinter (and your Cryptic engine customized for it) support (or should I say continue to support) gamepad controllers?

Foundry/Crafting
    • Can Foundry use recorded speech for dialogues?
    • Is the crafting being designed is immersive and better than other games in your opinion?
    • Will crafting contain mini-games or will it be a straight-forward success or failure thing?
    • Is it possible to 'romance' NPCs using dialogue options in foundry?
  • Options
    macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012

Social
    Is there LFG/LFM panel; automatic ques for dungeons?

i think that is already confirmed
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Also, to keep a record:-

Me:-
    Can the new rogue act as pseudo-tank? To explain more clearly, if we have 5 rogue party, can one of them act as tank while other strikers damage it? I believe that it can be done - a rogue can use "trick-tanking" like dropping a dummy and letting the shadow dummy "tank" by getting aggro, while rogue himself does dps.
    These new powers will bring out of box strategies. So probably all classes will have power like this which can do "trick-tanking" or some other kind of strategy to 'tank' the monster.
    I believe, with these new roles and active combat, new strategies rather than those old trinity strategies will arise. Can't wait to try it out.

Stromshade:-
    I like this post...

D&D is all about overcoming challenges, and thinking about new ways to solve the "usual" problem.

This kind of thinking will really help you out while playing Neverwinter.

Cheers,

Stormshade

@macabrivs LFM/LFG panel has not been; que system has been.
  • Options
    raelishraelish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    i do hope they dont limit any content without paying cash eg classes,quests,zones.
    if they do i may not play, free to play implies all content is free and extras cost money, stuff like xp pots, vanity items, crafting protection and whatnot. once they introduce the pay x amount for this class it immediately becomes buying power since its not available for free to everyone.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    raelish wrote: »
    i do hope they dont limit any content without paying cash eg classes,quests,zones.
    if they do i may not play, free to play implies all content is free and extras cost money, stuff like xp pots, vanity items, crafting protection and whatnot. once they introduce the pay x amount for this class it immediately becomes buying power since its not available for free to everyone.

ALthough I can understand your concern but I also believe this discussion is off-topic for this thread. So may I suggest this thread instead?
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Game content missions will always be free. But it's not clear if any classes will ever be pay or not...wait, that last part was my question and it's archived here, so to requote:
    Q: Are all classes that are immediately available on release (and planned to be in a future build: )
    =released playable (or will be playable) for free immediately
    =some be available for free after an "unlock" of some kind
    =some classes must be paid for or are "premium?"
    A: We're still working out the details of our MT/Cash Shop Strategy. So, I can't answer this right now. What I can say, is to take a look at the idea of Questionite and Dilithium in CO and STO.

But no, they are not going to "Turbine" our quests in regards to paying for missions or anything. BTW, the lag and bugs went up after that last Underdark module that everybody had to pay, so sometimes paying for content does not make it more reliable in regards to sustainable income fixing polish. But to be fair, it's a nearly seven year old game, counting beta testing (but not alpha testing which makes it over seven years.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Foundry
    Will it be possible to get ahold of the Foundry and start working on our projects before release?
    Yes.

Will the Foundry be available in beta and will published content carry over to release?
    Yes.

Can an author of UGC change the player's appearance into other models in the game for story purposes?
    Not at the moment, but our engine obviously supports that kind of thing so I could see it happening at some point. Not sure where this would sit on our list of priorities though...

Can you increase the size of the aggro spheres?
    Nope.

Can you set monsters to use stealth? Or attack power etc.?
    You can't alter the powers a monster has currently. However you can trigger them to spawn in when the player walks into a specific area or completes and objective.

Can any level player character enter your adventure? And if they could, is your adventure set to the level of that player?
    I believe the content scales to player level at this time.
    So I just asked our lead Foundry programmer about this and it looks like currently all Foundry quests are levelless. This means any Foundry quest will be open to any player, and the monster difficulty will scale to the player level. This is how it works on STO, however there are additional restrictions in STO's enemy groups that make missions with high level enemies closed off to low level players.
    We'll see how it works out in Beta, but I expect we will be tweaking how this works based on feedback.
    While there's no general difficulty level you can set for your quests, there are certainly monster encounters that range in difficulty. There are plenty of ways to make your quest more difficult, but a 5 man dungeon delve is sort of a different class of quest that we need to implement some extra features for. I'm not sure if that would be in by launch, but it's important enough to make it in soon after at the latest.

You have stated that the reviewer is not expected to pass or fail UGC based on quality concerns, but is not everything an issue of quality?
    I think you're a bit confused. Let me try to clarify.
    When a quest is published, it gets put into a pool of quests awaiting 5 separate reviews. These reviews come from normal players that have signed up to be a Foundry reviewer, and each review includes a star rating (1-5 stars) and a comment box for a more detailed written review.
    Once the quest is reviewed 5 times and is not found to have violated the EULA, it gets put into the general pool of quests that are visible to the public. At this point, anybody can play this quest, and when they complete it they are prompted to review the quest and give it a star rating and written review. This happens for ALL players, even those who have not signed up as a reviewer.
    The star rating allows us to list highly rated quests and campaigns in very visible areas, like the job board/Foundry catalog. The cream rises to the top, the cruft sinks to the bottom, and the exploits are weeded out before the public sees them. It's not an airtight system, but it has worked quite well for us in the past.
    As for the percentage of signed-up reviewers, we have never had a problem finding a healthy population of players who are willing to be the very first to see new Foundry content and discover the diamonds in the rough.
    We have discussed internally a whole system for author collaboration and sharing Foundry assets between authors, but nothing is concrete enough to discuss yet.

Can the Foundry be used to create non-CGI cutscenes (the type of cutscene where you cannot control your character or the camera), or other simple scripted scenes?
    We don't currently have this feature slated for launch, but we do have a tool that is separate from the Foundry that can record demos, and we use this tech to create our cutscenes... So it's only a matter of time before it gets added to the Foundry.

Are there palpable quest items?
    Yes, you can currently create quest items, assign an icon to them, and put them into the player's inventory. You can then use them as objectives and have NPCs take them from the player's inventory. I think the player can destroy them too.
    I don't think the inventory system is quite complete yet, but at the moment you can eventually fill up your bags and must consume, sell or destroy items to free up space.
    ... Actually I'll have to retract what I said earlier. It looks like we do have overflow bags, and Foundry quest items get destroyed when the quest is completed or dropped. I think the overflow bags have a limit, but that could change

=====Misc====
    Communication with devs?
    As for communication with the devs is concerned, we have some things in the works and there are some very passionate devs on the team who want to increase dev-community interaction. Not all devs find the forums inviting, some prefer to just lurk and read feedback, and some want to find other means to communicate. I'm sure Stormshade will give you guys more info when the time comes.
    In the meantime I'll do my best to answer what I know here :)

Great weapon fighter:
    I hope we do soon, because the Great Weapon Fighter is freakin' AWESOME! :)
    ~~~~
    yes crypticmapolis your proactive efforts on the forums are indeed exceptional (going back to double check on info of asked questions and coming back to post them) but there is no regular channel of communication. Make mods, and let them handle these clerical jobs of collating info for you for free... err... I mean voluntarily.
  • Options
    valas625valas625 Member Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012

It's funny actually, I posted to someone else saying this earlier. If nothing people really want or need costs money, then how do you expect the game to continue? Do you really think they'll be able to keep up costs of the game/updates because everyone wants to buy xp bonues's or new facelifts? I don't think and would hope they wouldn't make ALL new classes buyable only, but some of them might have to be. It's kinda like LoL when it started. when they didn't just throw out toons every week. If they don't have revenue, they can't keep the game going. So unless you'd rather pay subscription fees monthly, i'd imagine a one time cost of class is a pretty good deal. Sorry if I sounded rude here, just wanted everyone to realize they don't get money out of you simply playing, they have to get it somewhere.
  • Options
    discorddiscorddiscorddiscord Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
    edited September 2012
    As a general reminder folks, the closed beta test for Neverwinter has not began. Due to this, no keys have been e-mailed out. We'll be e-mailing out keys to those of you who have earned them as soon..

So if ive recieved an email saying im getting my beta key on the 20th that means that the beta test will begin on the 20th. Clutching at straws maybe.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    So if ive recieved an email saying im getting my beta key on the 20th that means that the beta test will begin on the 20th. Clutching at straws maybe.

This has already come up before, and the answer is no or not for everybody who receives a key then at best.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    This has already come up before, and the answer is no or not for everybody who receives a key then at best.

Don't say no, say maybe. Put some points in diplomacy and politics...
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Don't say no, say maybe. Put some points in diplomacy and politics...

Not for everybody at best=maybe. Also no reading false hope there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Not for everybody at best=maybe. Also no reading false hope there.

The hope is not false if the cake is no lie...
  • Options
    rustplayerrustplayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited September 2012
    Thank you for your awesome work.

Many of my questions have been answered, certeinly the most important ones.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    rustplayer wrote: »
    Thank you for your awesome work.

Many of my questions have been answered, certainly the most important ones.

You sir, deserve my respect to search for answers before asking them in thread.
This discussion has been closed.