What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What kind of cleric are you

Comments

• Options
    lorddevilkunlorddevilkun Member Posts: 60
    edited June 2012
    I do like being a healer in mmos... but, I kinda wanna play a cleric of Bane- was thinking battle cleric style would be more suitable.

I'd prefer using a gauntlet to punch enemies to death, or perhaps a hooked flail.
  • Options
    mistaslymistasly Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Shielding cleric for me. I like support, but don't care for healing too much.

As for weapon... a maul. If something gets close to me, I want it to feel my "love".
  • Options
    blindburnblindburn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Will play as Battlepriest, if there will be no Paladin class.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Well to be fair in 4e they took plate away from practically all the non-essential classes 'cept for what, Pallies? Would be kinda sad if Clerics started in plate when even Fighters had to use feats to use plate ^.~..

Fighters can still wear them quite early. You need STR and CON both to wear high end armor. Cleric might never end up using full plate because of stat restrictions.
    So while fighters will use feats to wear it, clerics won't be able to.
  • Options
    aiyuraiyur Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Cleric, but don't kown which one yet.....

Need Monk !
  • Options
    higherfasternowhigherfasternow Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    one of my favorite builds is an AoE battle cleric. load up on buffs and holy shields and walk right into a group of baddies. god is on your side... or rather you are a god when you play this type of build.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    one of my favorite builds is an AoE battle cleric. load up on buffs and holy shields and walk right into a group of baddies. god is on your side... or rather you are a god when you play this type of build.

yes, but peaceful one imo. Your dagger will prick like a needle :-)
    But yes, you will stay alive while the monster bleeds to death very slowly...
    Thinking back, are the clerics sadists? Killing the enemies so slowly and painfully :p
  • Options
    rubb3rs0ulrubb3rs0ul Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Before anyone says anthing, I know it's not a Cleric class (but cleric is closer to paladin than the others.) I'd really like to play a Blackguard. I'm all about the antipaladin.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    rubb3rs0ul wrote: »
    Before anyone says anthing, I know it's not a Cleric class (but cleric is closer to paladin than the others.) I'd really like to play a Blackguard. I'm all about the antipaladin.

Blackguard is a completely separate class now. It is completely antipaladin drawing power from shadow source instead of divine.

The divine assassins is also a new class now - Avenger. That one has divine power source and dubious methods to silence enemies.
  • Options
    zephelxzephelx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Do you prefer:-

ANY, I love the cleric class...but..

Or are you a cleric because of 'probable' absence of:
    Invoker :: Divine warlock - Because I friggin LOVE invokers.....

Which would be your weapon of choice?
    If battle cleric? mace and shield
    If Invoker? Staff of course!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    zephelx wrote: »
    If Invoker? Staff of course!

If I am to play an invoker, I would be having a scythe, wearing black robes and worshiping Raven Queen.

But I don't know if they have scythe in game... hopefully they have and with cool animation too.
  • Options
    zephelxzephelx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    If I am to play an invoker, I would be having a scythe, wearing black robes and worshiping Raven Queen.

But I don't know if they have scythe in game... hopefully they have and with cool animation too.

That does sound pretty awesome. Raven Queen is such a fun deity for themes.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    zephelx wrote: »
    That does sound pretty awesome. Raven Queen is such a fun deity for themes.

I hope deities are more integrated into cleric class than just being an entry for role play. I would really like to dabble in selune, raven queen and a few more deities using clerics.
  • Options
    hazrothhazroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 50
    edited August 2012
    Just your opinions:

Do you prefer:-

- Battle cleric :: Melee, STR>WIS>CHA
    - Devoted cleric :: stand back (heal/cast), WIS>CHA>STR
    - shielding cleric :: stand back (debuff, buff), WIS>CHA>STR

Or are you a cleric because of 'probable' absence of:
    Avenger :: Divine assassin
    Invoker :: Divine warlock
    Paladin

Which would be your weapon of choice?

EDIT: Feel free to add your opinions, or list anything different from defaults in 4e.
    EDIT2: added explainations

Devoted cleric.
    Absence of Paladin.
    Weapon of choice - The craghammer.

Despite my bias towards Paladins, I think clerics will be versatile and overall fun to play.
  • Options
    bloodgambitbloodgambit Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Devoted Cleric

I simply love healing :)

Mace + Shield (Large if possible)

Granted I know little to nothing of 4e. But in DDO, I played a healing Cleric, with a decorational/stat-providing Mace and Shield. And full-plate armor.

@Maekada in-game

Formerly MaekadaFolay on the forums.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Using 4th edition rules, Warpriest of Mystra...and she's coming back I tell ya!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    i want to play a drow cleric with snake whipp that summons undead to do his bidding YAAAAYYYYYY EEEEVIIIILLLLL

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/MarkusTay/DarrapolVistuulis_small.jpg
  • Options
    varrvarrvarrvarr Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I had a dream about a Dragonborn Warpriest with a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> morning star, reigning fire and brimstone (astral storm) in the name of Kord.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited October 2012
    seems a little early even for speculation, with so little information available to us on the cleric class... but it's safe to say that I'll be playing any and likely all the different kinds of cleric they offer me :)
  • Options
    barberouge33barberouge33 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I would prefer:

Battle cleric all the way. Would be great if for once cleric wasn't a passive healer, but a more dynamic approach to it.

There is nothing more boring that being tagged as the 1 push button player that has to job, responsability ("isn't natural anyway" in the mind of a rogue) to keep the dpser going.

Which would be your weapon of choice? a flaill, a morning star, a mace... anything mean with spikes that would give me a sense of contributing to the demise of the mob.
  • Options
    cyreibralcyreibral Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Devoted healer here. Find me if you need one!
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Using 4th edition rules, Warpriest of Mystra...and she's coming back I tell ya!

I'm with ya there. My main cleric will also be a of a Warpriest of Sorts and of Mystra (yeah, only Zebular follows "Mystryl", he's old and set in his ways). This priestess will most likely be a female drow who, like her hero Quile' Veladorn, worships both Eilistrasee and Mystra, despite them both being "dead." She will be an outcast and refugee of the Underdark that once lived in the Promenade but now resides in Neverwinter.

I'll probably have a second cleric also, but he will be devoted to just healing for group play. He will most likely follow Ilmater -- but I won't decide on him until I actually make him.
  • Options
    elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Fighters can still wear them quite early. You need STR and CON both to wear high end armor. Cleric might never end up using full plate because of stat restrictions.
    So while fighters will use feats to wear it, clerics won't be able to.

Well from NEWBIE of 4th edition rules I am slowly increasing my knowledge though I am certainly not a GURU. You need CON:15 and STR:15 minimum to wear Plate mail and also use a feat to get plate armor.

Of course it is a challenge, but yes it is doable. I would even add since I am a powergamer that there is more then one race that is suitable for Battle Cleric though of course not every race is good for that. Obviously Wisdom needs also be to good also yeah it is tough, but doable to use Plate mail as Cleric. At 4th , 8th, 12th and 18th level stats increases with 2 values are done(or same value twice).

Of course what is the "best" build can be discussed forever, but I say Battle Cleric using Plate mail is doable. I am not saying they are better at battle then Fighters or Paladins, but they are better at healing and can buff party members.

I am Battle Cleric all the way. I played WOW for years, but disliked the cloth using Clerics in WOW. If I want to use more light armor then there are other interesting classes. I am currently playing rarely once/month GURPS fantasy roleplaying game and I play a Battle Cleric or Warpriest whatever you want to call it.
  • Options
    remedialhappymanremedialhappyman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Ive never been a player but out of the characters I made for games that never took off the ground I have made one cleric.

His name was Abacus (like the mathematical device) and he was a pompous child of noble blood. Being a noble he had plenty of money to toss around and make himself seem important.

He had halfplate and a towershield at level 1 and he didn't have a clue how to use either.

I think my build was

WIS-DEX-INT-CHA-STR-CON

He was a Cleric with the Noble and Law Domains. Also he had a purebred dog that would only eat the most expensive meat that followed him around and was a complete coward in combat but would act hawty in front of other people.

Id like to say I am used to clerics wearing heavy armor so the idea of medium and light just boggles my mind, I always took it for a given I guess.
  • Options
    theveninathevenina Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    frankelot wrote: »
    Warpriest, or as you call it Battle Cleric. As for weapon choice, I'd like dual wielding but I suppose that's out of the question, so for now a 2-handed blunt or if I really have to 1-h blunt and shield.

I have always liked spellcasting in the form of healing and especially fortification (buffs) magic and I prefer being able to wear heavier kinds of armor and melee combat.

I have never really fully liked "priest" like classes in robes and wielding staves, to me they felt like mage wannabees, and if I wanted to play like that I'd be a mage to begin with. I have played and probably will play games with healers like that but they do tend to not hold my interest for a longer period.

I like the Paladin class as well, but the Cleric more as it has more fortification magic and healing options. I have always liked self-sufficiency and survival, even if at the cost of having to kill slower than dps classes.

I have always loved the Cleric class in D&D (inspired) games, and I usually tend to roll the way of a Warpriest.

Oh, hi me.

I want a primary healing role as a cleric, excellent survivability (and therefore decent ac) though I still prefer to fight at range when I have to fight (or at least have some decent 'pull' abilities). It doesn't bother me to have to bore mobs to death.

But I'll swap to a more support role if it lets me have speed buffs. Because I'm addicted to speed buffs... :P
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    thevenina wrote: »
    Oh, hi me.

I want a primary healing role as a cleric, excellent survivability (and therefore decent ac) though I still prefer to fight at range when I have to fight (or at least have some decent 'pull' abilities). It doesn't bother me to have to bore mobs to death.

But I'll swap to a more support role if it lets me have speed buffs. Because I'm addicted to speed buffs... :P

Yawn that is not a Battle Cleric for sure! I want to make a Battle Cleric that use Full Plate Armor. For that is needed STR:15 and CON:15 and a feat to use Plate Armor. However good consitution in DD4th editon improves how many healing surges you can use. Unfortunately I must sacrifice the Charisma score to less good so I will not be able to be super healer.

Buffs for sure, but no distance casting. I want my Battle Cleric to be in front and in the heat of Battle both fighting and healing. Of course buffs are important.

That is how I play in GURPS fantasy roleplaying my Warpriest. I act as a secondary tank and when fighter is down(which happens sometimes) I can still save the day due to excellent armor and defensive buffs. It is not all about defense I want my Battle Cleric to deal damage in melee.

The last thing I want is some kind of distant caster Cleric like in WOW. WOW is a great game though and I enjoyed to play a Druid and a Hunter(Ranger) in WOW.
  • Options
    tinyishtinyish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    In 4th edition D&D many of a cleric's powers (the ones I would use anyway) would allow the cleric to make an attack and if the attack was successful then it would allow the cleric to grant a party member some temporary hit points, effectively negating some future damage.

I preferred the ranged attacks which used wisdom to hit rather than strength.

So I guess I'm the kind of cleric who would rather stand in the back row and heal and cast, assuming those attacks are comparable to melee attacks.

But since there is no targeting then how will they decide who gets the healing from the cleric's attacks? An AOE heal area around the attack's victim maybe? Meaning that the cleric would probably want to be hitting the monsters next to the tank most of the time.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    tinyish wrote: »
    In 4th edition D&D many of a cleric's powers (the ones I would use anyway) would allow the cleric to make an attack and if the attack was successful then it would allow the cleric to grant a party member some temporary hit points, effectively negating some future damage.

I preferred the ranged attacks which used wisdom to hit rather than strength.

So I guess I'm the kind of cleric who would rather stand in the back row and heal and cast, assuming those attacks are comparable to melee attacks.

But since there is no targeting then how will they decide who gets the healing from the cleric's attacks? An AOE heal area around the attack's victim maybe? Meaning that the cleric would probably want to be hitting the monsters next to the tank most of the time.

If we forget what is best defence tactics for a moment I wonder what gives most damage? Melee Cleric or Wisdom caster cleric? I am not taking about one round and rather a long battle. I have read DD 4th editon Players Handbook but never played that so still in the dark about some things.

Another note when you say Wisdom Cleric attack do you mean spells or ranged weapon or both? Assume that the melee Cleric would use say 2 handed weapon and compare to that. After that compare also a melee Cleric that uses shield and weapon.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    elewyndyl wrote: »
    If we forget what is best defence tactics for a moment I wonder what gives most damage? Melee Cleric or Wisdom caster cleric? I am not taking about one round and rather a long battle. I have read DD 4th editon Players Handbook but never played that so still in the dark about some things.

Another note when you say Wisdom Cleric attack do you mean spells or ranged weapon or both? Assume that the melee Cleric would use say 2 handed weapon and compare to that. After that compare also a melee Cleric that uses shield and weapon.

Caster cleric(devoted) is better in pnp, especially at higher levels. However, battle cleric gets domains. But the difference is not that high if you include Divine source and all three PHBs together. Just using PHB1 is really bad for battle cleric(warpriest). If you choose wisely, the difference in powers is not very high though.

2 handed weapons is a good choice to go on the path of angelic avenger. However best paragon paths are caster based.

EDIT: However all this has nothing to do with the game. Game will handle balance and powers differently.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Caster cleric(devoted) is better in pnp, especially at higher levels. However, battle cleric gets domains. But the difference is not that high if you include Divine source and all three PHBs together. Just using PHB1 is really bad for battle cleric(warpriest). If you choose wisely, the difference in powers is not very high though.

2 handed weapons is a good choice to go on the path of angelic avenger. However best paragon paths are caster based.

EDIT: However all this has nothing to do with the game. Game will handle balance and powers differently.

Thank you oh GURU on 4th edition:) Seriously I mean it is good that we have 4th edition GURUS on these forums. I am a veteran 3.5 DD player and currently play rarely GURPS fantasy roleplaying as a Warpriest.

Yeah will be interesting how game handles balance. Time will tell. I am also curious if/what other books instead of PHB1 is supported. I would really like that the melee Cleric(well speciality in Angelic Avenger or another good path) would be also very effective. I want also sacrifice to have con: 15 and a feat to get Plate mail. It is not important to have Plate mail from level 1 and better is to chose wisely how to buy stats with 22 points at beginning.