- Battle cleric :: Melee, STR>WIS>CHA
- Devoted cleric :: stand back (heal/cast), WIS>CHA>STR
- shielding cleric :: stand back (debuff, buff), WIS>CHA>STR

Or are you a cleric because of 'probable' absence of:
Avenger :: Divine assassin
Invoker :: Divine warlock
Paladin

Which would be your weapon of choice?

EDIT: Feel free to add your opinions, or list anything different from defaults in 4e.
EDIT2: added explainations
Post edited by gillrmn on

Comments

• Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Me:
    I would like
    Battle cleric: Angelic avenger.

Am waiting for paladin and its path of
    Knight of Chalice
    but would like to play cleric first even if paladin is available.

My weapon of choice would be a Greatsword.
  • Options
    delthaneshdelthanesh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Do you prefer:-

- Battle cleric
    - Devoted cleric
    - shielding cleric

Avenger
    Invoker
    Paladin

Scythe
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Just your opinions:

Do you prefer:-

- Battle cleric
    - Devoted cleric
    - shielding cleric

Avenger
    Invoker
    Paladin

Not sure what the invoker paladine is but just don't have much intrest in a Defender type of Paladin... odd you have a shielding Cleric which was suprised but no defender Paladin.

Weapon of choice would be a battleaxe as that is Tempus' weapon but would use a Greatsword for the Paladin.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Not sure what the invoker paladine is but just don't have much intrest in a Defender type of Paladin... odd you have a shielding Cleric which was suprised but no defender Paladin.

Weapon of choice would be a battleaxe as that is Tempus' weapon but would use a Greatsword for the Paladin.

These are the pre made builds from 4e for clerics. Considering they would copy them from pnp.

Invoker is arcane's warlock equivalent of divine side. It is a seperate divine class like paladin and cleric. Avenger is also another divine class, it is more like divine assassin.
  • Options
    nimlohnimloh Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    Devoted Cleric. Maces.

I like to play a support role. Any type of cleric that uses more buffs/debuffs/control instead of raw damage abilities.
  • Options
    talsictalsic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2012
    Battle Cleric as second choise as paladin not available yet. Really hope Paladin will be a pay to play class at launch, but if not then Battle Cleric.
  • Options
    frankelotfrankelot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Warpriest, or as you call it Battle Cleric. As for weapon choice, I'd like dual wielding but I suppose that's out of the question, so for now a 2-handed blunt or if I really have to 1-h blunt and shield.

I have always liked spellcasting in the form of healing and especially fortification (buffs) magic and I prefer being able to wear heavier kinds of armor and melee combat.

I have never really fully liked "priest" like classes in robes and wielding staves, to me they felt like mage wannabees, and if I wanted to play like that I'd be a mage to begin with. I have played and probably will play games with healers like that but they do tend to not hold my interest for a longer period.

I like the Paladin class as well, but the Cleric more as it has more fortification magic and healing options. I have always liked self-sufficiency and survival, even if at the cost of having to kill slower than dps classes.

I have always loved the Cleric class in D&D (inspired) games, and I usually tend to roll the way of a Warpriest.

In Neverwinter Nights 2 I even went as far as dual wielding weapons as a Warpriest (with thanks to off hand weapons granting the two weapon fighting feat) and really liked it, it's not really something alot of people would be inspired to do I suppose but I liked it nevertheless.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    frankelot wrote: »

I have always liked spellcasting in the form of healing and especially fortification (buffs) magic and I prefer being able to wear heavier kinds of armor and melee combat.

I have never really fully liked "priest" like classes in robes and wielding staves, to me they felt like mage wannabees, and if I wanted to play like that I'd be a mage to begin with. I have played and probably will play games with healers like that but they do tend to not hold my interest for a longer period.

I like the Paladin class as well, but the Cleric more as it has more fortification magic and healing options. I have always liked self-sufficiency and survival, even if at the cost of having to kill slower than dps classes.

I have always loved the Cleric class in D&D (inspired) games, and I usually tend to roll the way of a Warpriest.

That is very much like the cleric I used to play in DDO. Except I used one handed longsword with shield. Tried a two handed, but a shield was always good for defense.

It was a great tank! And killing stuff with vorpals was nice(after many many hits) with low BAB, and ridiculous DPS
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    frankelot wrote: »
    Warpriest, or as you call it Battle Cleric. As for weapon choice, I'd like dual wielding but I suppose that's out of the question, so for now a 2-handed blunt or if I really have to 1-h blunt and shield.

In Neverwinter Nights 2 I even went as far as dual wielding weapons as a Warpriest (with thanks to off hand weapons granting the two weapon fighting feat) and really liked it, it's not really something alot of people would be inspired to do I suppose but I liked it nevertheless.

On some PWs I stuck with a shield n battle axe for my war priest. I like to throw in some tactical spells here n there like hold n blindness which dual wielding was a significant investment so never did dual wielding. One thing I hated bout DDO was how dual wielding was ridiculously easy to obtain n that there was no real sacrifice to get all the feats or meet the requisites.
  • Options
    byphbyph Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I plan on playing a mace & shield Battle Cleric. I like playing a front line healer/support, and the fact that your two main stats contribute to separate NADs is a nice bonus.
  • Options
    macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    Healing most prob, ofc will depend what roles can we play.

We all dont know how clerics will work but i would like to remake my 4th Edition cleric. It mostly use pacify-like powers (stunning target for some time) and make huge amount of heal, ofc i it had super defences ;)

Lets wait and see what they have to offer us to get :)
  • Options
    dailonihildailonihil Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Would play cleric because of absence of avenger. Weapons of choice: scimitar or flail. ;)
  • Options
    mzeeusikumzeeusiku Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 38
    edited May 2012
    Im for shield and 1hblunt myself. Throw in a few cc spells and Im good.

No paladin at launch eh? Too bad, nothing like saving your bros with that last ditch loh!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    mzeeusiku wrote: »
    No paladin at launch eh? ...

Not yet confirmed. One year ago, only classes at launch were to be cleric, fighter, wiz and ranger. Now they will add more classes (maybe 2 or more).
    Cleric, fighter, wizard have been reconfirmed. Others haven't been. Ranger has high chance to be in, paladin and others - maybe, maybe not.
  • Options
    treppytreppy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Im more of the stealthy type cleric.With skills focusing on rogue skills.I wonder if backgrounds will be in?Be nice.But we will see.
  • Options
    hippyohippyo Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    what about the Howling ? A singing cleric that would inspire morale and fighting power in her party, and able to survive as savior when they wipe. Divine Warriors have been known to inspire. They have not, in my experience, been able to do replace real warriors
    ("...regularly before and after raids, the clan's Wardogs took assembly on the mountain, where they feasted upon the fleshly remains and howled at the skies. A particularly large one with ruddy mane and clad in what we might call a mask seems to lead the procedure. It is a female and receives special attentions from the clan members. All the other males show their devotion for her when they howl ..."[from the "Ramblings"])
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    spectralhuntspectralhunt Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I'm another person who wants an Avenger but since the game won't have the class at launch, cleric is the next best thing.
  • Options
    retsimretsim Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Maybe it's because I never found religion irl, but something always rubbed me wrong with the Divine powered classes. Mechanics-wise I loved 4e Avengers and Runepriests, but the non-munchkin in me just won't let me play those classes. I ended up convincing my DM to let me play a SigilMaster which was just an ersatz arcane Runepriest with all flavor references to runes and divine replaced with sigil and arcane.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I prefer warpriest over battle cleric. A Battle cleric is the classic cleric with a battle template (suggesting feats trained skills and powers.) Like the earlier editions, Warpriests actually select and use a domain granted by their god(s) further affecting their powers and features besides things like Channel Divinity. Oh, they also do smite undead as well, like the standard cleric (of old and current.)

So I could be a storm warpriest of Talos or Knowledge warpriest of Oghma (and actually have.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I prefer warpriest over battle cleric. A Battle cleric is the classic cleric with a battle template (suggesting feats trained skills and powers.) Like the earlier editions, Warpriests actually select and use a domain granted by their god(s) further affecting their powers and features besides things like Channel Divinity. Oh, they also do smite undead as well, like the standard cleric (of old and current.)

So I could be a storm warpriest of Talos or Knowledge warpriest of Oghma (and actually have.)

I have only listed build options. As the devs have only yet confirmed that there are build options like 'trickster rogue' and 'control wizard'. I just listed those default build options. I believe that warpriest is a paragon path. So you can be both - warpriest and battle cleric.

That said, please feel free to discuss anything about your build I have not listed, because I listed them limitedly, knowing not how cleric is implemented in the game. So I only added things that devs have already shown.
  • Options
    edited June 2012

Oh! and by the way, don't you want to be the truthseeker cleric instead of some other paragon path? :D
    TRUTHSEEKER

"The light of truth reveals all secrets and denies all falsehoods."
    - Prerequisite: Cleric
    Deception worms its way through the world, coroding morals and subverting ideals. Only throughconstant vigilance can this welling corruption be...
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Yeah, clerics have their own weighted issues in MMO expectations. If I'm not healbot pigeonholed, and that PP is available, I'll play it on principle...but my main with that name has already "reincarnated" and is another class ATM. Blame fate :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kuradorkurador Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Dwarf Battle Cleric, follower of Moradin, with an Execution Axe or a Mordenkraft... this is my PnP character and the one I want to play in NW.
  • Options
    vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2012
  • Options
    macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2012
    The only cleric ive played was already in epic lvl (22), i didnt follow any specific role, and what i got was cleric of pelor, menssager of peace paragon path and saint as epic destiny. It was build to crowed control and heal like a crazy :P arround 100hp healed with a healing surge power hehe (depending of the target player surge value)

Although i must admite this isnt my build, i was inspired in some other builds in wotc D&D foruns and got my own version.
  • Options
    roninrawrriorroninrawrrior Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Yeah, clerics have their own weighted issues in MMO expectations. If I'm not healbot pigeonholed, and that PP is available, I'll play it on principle...but my main with that name has already "reincarnated" and is another class ATM. Blame fate :p

I think the 4E rule set did a fairly good job at getting Leaders(Healers/Supporters) to be more active in battle and away from the healbot model. I hope NW will continue to have most of the heals and buffs procing off attacks or other aggressive actions.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    imo, D&D cleric has always been different from healers of other mmo. ofc, you can make a dedicated healer, but in D&D cleric has always been - ok, ofc cleric will heal, what else? Healing is more like natural job for cleric but that is not what differentiates it.

I don't think I am alone in thinking this but many others who I have played with also think that D&D cleric cannot be a healbot. Making it a healbot is undermining its potential. It can be played as a healer+fighter, healer+damager, healer+controller, healer+tank etc. etc. or even triple roles

If you be a healbot and only use the healer part in above, you would actually be weak. So the secondary job is very important and that is what differentiates good cleric and bad. The heals should only be used for "oh! carp" situations (situations in which you can't even type properly due to excessively trembling hands (lol))

That said, this thread is about what kind of cleric you want to be, and I have no right to judge whatever way you play cleric, weather a healbot or not. So please keep your opinions coming. :-)
  • Options
    paladinspiritpaladinspirit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    when i play a cleric i normally play as a healer of course but also as a controller of the battles, stay back a bit, yelling out what the heck the enemy is doing to get people to react to what they don't see as they are in the middle of the fight, using things to help control the enemy ,
    then as a fighter to fill the reserve roll. fill in a gap in the defense, help someone that is in trouble or exploit an opening.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I think the 4E rule set did a fairly good job at getting Leaders(Healers/Supporters) to be more active in battle and away from the healbot model. I hope NW will continue to have most of the heals and buffs procing off attacks or other aggressive actions.

I will disagree with you a little... They took away the full-plate!!!
    when i play a cleric i normally play as a healer of course but also as a controller of the battles, stay back a bit, yelling out what the heck the enemy is doing to get people to react to what they don't see as they are in the middle of the fight, using things to help control the enemy ,
    then as a fighter to fill the reserve roll. fill in a gap in the defense, help someone that is in trouble or exploit an opening.

Sound like my kind of gameplay, though I sometimes let, those who play poorly, die. Why waste my turns on healing a sink when I can try to do something better. I guess I am evil cleric >:-]
  • Options
    roninrawrriorroninrawrrior Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    I will disagree with you a little... They took away the full-plate!!!

Well to be fair in 4e they took plate away from practically all the non-essential classes 'cept for what, Pallies? Would be kinda sad if Clerics started in plate when even Fighters had to use feats to use plate ^.~.

Personally I never much liked Clerics. When play a leader I tend prefer to play second fiddle to the main leader with an aggressive front line build like Bravura Warlord, Impetuous/Euphoric Ardent, or a heavily MC'd Bard. If I could get over my revulsion of divine powered classes a Avenger|Runepriest sounds pretty tasty on paper.