test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

List what you would like to see in this mmo

Comments

• alsarothalsaroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    A release? Nah, just kidding. But really not. TESO is taking every MMO-fan now. Do some effective marketing, ok? Please?
    "A rare display of intelligence, undoubtedly fleeting." - Edwin Odesseiron
  • chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    A large dedicated player base. This is what I want most :p

As for content, what I want most is the minds and creativity of the community to keep pumping out quality content for everyone to enjoy. I remember back in the days of NWN1, the mod community was the best community I have ever encountered of any kind online. Such a great group of men and women whom I loved sharing ideas with and playing their modules and GM events (both as a player and GM). I miss that so much and NWN2 just failed to deliver it, as did everything else released since.

Aside from that, new races, classes, tile sets, equipment and areas to explore/create content for, which I believe was the intent from the get go with Cryptic.

The more videos I watch of the game and the foundry, the more excited I am. I just started to read the Neverwinter trilogy to get myself up to date with the lore and all things Neverwinter.

It's a good time to be a D&D fan, a Forgotten Realms fan and a video game player.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    chili1179 wrote: »

It's a good time to be a D&D fan, a Forgotten Realms fan and a video game player.

You speak the truth, wise one. Let me ask you this, how will you react if the game will not be what you desire ?
    edited January 2013
    aeroth001 wrote: »
    You speak the truth, wise one. Let me ask you this, how will you react if the game will not be what you desire ?

It will never be what I desire, I am sure of that. With that in mind, it appears to be the best option currently and I will not place any standard on it that it couldn't possibly live up to. It's an MMO first and foremost and I know that it places limits on the kind of game I would want it to be.

But it's a D&D game in the Forgotten Realms universe that I can express my creativity within, that, in itself is something truly wonderful.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It will never be what I desire, I am sure of that. With that in mind, it appears to be the best option currently and I will not place any standard on it that it couldn't possibly live up to. It's an MMO first and foremost and I know that it places limits on the kind of game I would want it to be.

But it's a D&D game in the Forgotten Realms universe that I can express my creativity within, that, in itself is something truly wonderful.

Well there will be no Open World PvP. All PvP is in restricted PvP areas like Battlegrounds(instances with terrain also like forest etc.). The good news is that this game will offer likely after release that players can also create PvP Battleground maps. However Cryptic has said that players will likely not be able to create PvP maps already at release.

Anyway PvE content that is in 1-5 player instances can already be created at Beta with Foundry. One last thing PvP will not be some <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> Guild Wars 2 structured PvP 5 vs 5 and neither will it be like Mist PvP in Guild Wars 2. Mist PvP supports up to 2000 players in same battle and has HUGE CPU system requirements. Guild Wars 2 looks like <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> with minimum graphics and Mist PvP is not playable on my budget gaming laptop from 2012.

The Neverwinter approach to PvP will be big battlegrounds support. We don't know how big is maximum size but maybe like Alterac Valley 40 vs 40 players big PvP Battleground in WOW.

I am a WOW veteran, but I have also played Baldurs Gate games and NeverwinterNights 1 and 2. I wanted to tell this so people that like hardcore DD world don't get dissapointed when game does not support full open World PvP. As for how much challenge PvE adventures will give well we the community can affect that by creating challenging PvE adventures. I remember your hardcore death wish, but I wanted to inform that this game does not support PvP roleplaying killing.
    edited January 2013
    elewyndyl wrote: »
    Well there will be no Open World PvP. All PvP is in restricted PvP areas like Battlegrounds(instances with terrain also like forest etc.). The good news is that this game will offer likely after release that players can also create PvP Battleground maps. However Cryptic has said that players will likely not be able to create PvP maps already at release.

Anyway PvE content that is in 1-5 player instances can already be created at Beta with Foundry. One last thing PvP will not be some <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> Guild Wars 2 structured PvP 5 vs 5 and neither will it be like Mist PvP in Guild Wars 2. Mist PvP supports up to 2000 players in same battle and has HUGE CPU system requirements. Guild Wars 2 looks like <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> with minimum graphics and Mist PvP is not playable on my budget gaming laptop from 2012.

The Neverwinter approach to PvP will be big battlegrounds support. We don't know how big is maximum size but maybe like Alterac Valley 40 vs 40 players big PvP Battleground in WOW.

I am a WOW veteran, but I have also played Baldurs Gate games and NeverwinterNights 1 and 2. I wanted to tell this so people that like hardcore DD world don't get dissapointed when game does not support full open World PvP. As for how much challenge PvE adventures will give well we the community can affect that by creating challenging PvE adventures. I remember your hardcore death wish, but I wanted to inform that this game does not support PvP roleplaying killing.

You sure you are replying to the correct person?
    edited January 2013
    You sure you are replying to the correct person?
    Ah ok sorry. I did not mean to attack anyway. I believed you were hardcore PvP player also after seeing your death wish in another thread:
    Perma-death or be res'd IMO. Player can take your body to a temple for a res or use a scroll on you.
    If that is not hardcore then what is? So I assumed wrong you were hardcore PvP player sorry for that.
    I guess I can be hardcore:cool: in my cruel religion(of course in game) hardcore wish:
    Wait ah sorry this was about the game. How about as Ghost running as in WOW and some equipment damage. That works fine for me. Other option is a very small exp penalty like 1 %.

Now I don't know where I get this bright idea, but since DD4th edition rules works like that characters do not have to choose a Forgotten Realms God. For example if character has not chosen deities that I like Tempus, Tymora, Selune, Oghma(since Mystra is dead), Corellon or any other Forgotten Realms deity are considered faithless in the game.

All faithless(no FR deity selected) player characters in the game are dragged to game hell when they die with a cool trailer that reminds of this picture:
    http://i-moc.com/drag-me-to-hell-1280x720-hd-wallpaper.html
    after that their character remains locked one month with the text: You forgot to choose Deity and as our game policy faithless characters gets locked unplayable for one month in our hell every time they die.

That would absolutely make wonders to religion motivation trust me on that! Oh I am so nice:cool:.
    I don't know if your wish was meant as joke, but mine is not meant as joke. I realize not realistic Cryptic would use either death system.
    edited January 2013
    Ah ok sorry. I did not mean to attack anyway. I believed you were hardcore PvP player also after seeing your death wish in another thread:

If that is not hardcore then what is? So I assumed wrong you were hardcore PvP player sorry for that.
    I guess I can be hardcore:cool: in my cruel religion(of course in game) hardcore wish:

I don't know if your wish was meant as joke, but mine is not meant as joke. I realize not realistic Cryptic would use either death system.

I was more referring to the pnp D&D games where death was absolute (at least in my campaigns they were) which made players think more about rushing into battle with no plan.

I still don't understand how you got pvp from that but whatevs, no harm no foul. :cool:
  • trollololloltrollolollol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    THE DAMN RELEASE DATE, pretty pls and cherries on the top.
  • pherephattapherephatta Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would like to see enough complexity that I still feel that I am learning the game and have things to do six months, a year, five years from now. I would like an interesting game with enough breadth and depth that I can call it home.
  • rohk007rohk007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i like the new super hero lairs coming out in DCU.I would like to have some customizable player housing that you can invite friends in and have a party etc. Also have trouphys etc
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lawfulstupidlawfulstupid Member Posts: 55
    edited January 2013
    NO TECH TREES -- quite possibly the most counter-productive thing ever implemented in MMO game mechanics. People are just going to mathcraft the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of them to find the most efficient builds possible, and if you don't adhere to the generalized cookie-cutter build, you're shooting yourself in the foot. Just focus on giving us skills that we can actually use and minimize the homework that I have to do out of game. Buuut, on the other hand:

PRESTIGE CLASSES -- Oh yes, I went there. I'm sure that it would be a balancing nightmare for the devs, but man would it be cool to have my tiefling dragon disciple. Half-man, half-demon, half-dragon. Who needs logic in a fantasy setting?

TRANSMOGGING -- Yes, I do love keeping up with the latest trends in fashionable armor and weapon design, and yes, I really do hate it when my boots are lime green, my battle-pants are bright red, my cuirass is black with yellow inlays, and my gloves are bright purple. Even better are armor sets/weapons designed to be there just for transmogging, because my life is not complete unless I'm a special, special little snowflake with his own unique looking suit of armor where all of the pieces match.

NO PLAYER HOUSING -- This is something that pops up all the time when people are requesting added features to the game, and it just baffles me. It's a waste of development resources just so the players can go be antisocial shut-ins or a place were they can ERP without 'YARR YARR HUMP HUMP!' (you get +5 internets if you caught that reference.) Anyone else remember Star Wars Galaxies where you'd be rolling around on Tatooine and the surface was littered with sprawling ghost towns of locked houses? Guild halls, I could maaaaybe see, but I can think of a million things that I'd rather see the developers investing their limited resources in before player housing

ZONE PHASING -- Zone phasing is just cool. It lets me actually see the impact of my quests on the surrounding areas. It adds to my immersion while solo-questing, and I'm all about more immersion. Speaking of immersion:

INSTANCED DUNGEONS -- Nothing kills my immersion more than rolling into a dungeon with my buds and having the joint be crowded with hordes of players standing around waiting for bosses to spawn. To say nothing of having the peace of mind to not have to worry about kill-stealing.
    The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
  • drewbert1drewbert1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    A bard class... and no, I have no idea if such a class ever made it's way into 4e, but it would be great way to make the game different from, say, wow...
    edited January 2013
    NO TECH TREES -- quite possibly the most counter-productive thing ever implemented in MMO game mechanics. People are just going to mathcraft the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of them to find the most efficient builds possible, and if you don't adhere to the generalized cookie-cutter build, you're shooting yourself in the foot. Just focus on giving us skills that we can actually use and minimize the homework that I have to do out of game. Buuut, on the other hand:

PRESTIGE CLASSES -- Oh yes, I went there. I'm sure that it would be a balancing nightmare for the devs, but man would it be cool to have my tiefling dragon disciple. Half-man, half-demon, half-dragon. Who needs logic in a fantasy setting?

TRANSMOGGING -- Yes, I do love keeping up with the latest trends in fashionable armor and weapon design, and yes, I really do hate it when my boots are lime green, my battle-pants are bright red, my cuirass is black with yellow inlays, and my gloves are bright purple. Even better are armor sets/weapons designed to be there just for transmogging, because my life is not complete unless I'm a special, special little snowflake with his own unique looking suit of armor where all of the pieces match.

NO PLAYER HOUSING -- This is something that pops up all the time when people are requesting added features to the game, and it just baffles me. It's a waste of development resources just so the players can go be antisocial shut-ins or a place were they can ERP without 'YARR YARR HUMP HUMP!' (you get +5 internets if you caught that reference.) Anyone else remember Star Wars Galaxies where you'd be rolling around on Tatooine and the surface was littered with sprawling ghost towns of locked houses? Guild halls, I could maaaaybe see, but I can think of a million things that I'd rather see the developers investing their limited resources in before player housing

ZONE PHASING -- Zone phasing is just cool. It lets me actually see the impact of my quests on the surrounding areas. It adds to my immersion while solo-questing, and I'm all about more immersion. Speaking of immersion:

INSTANCED DUNGEONS -- Nothing kills my immersion more than rolling into a dungeon with my buds and having the joint be crowded with hordes of players standing around waiting for bosses to spawn. To say nothing of having the peace of mind to not have to worry about kill-stealing.
    Ok analysing your wishes since I already know answers to some of them.
    1. Tech Trees I am quite neutral to them. Honestly don't have a clue how it will be but if I want to be Beastmaster Ranger then I hope it is possible to be that. I think classes are pretty molded if you hear a name like Trickster Rogue. Means I doubt you need to be a GURU in DD 4th edition rules to play this game. Cryptic has said many times they want this game to be easy for people to get into.

2.PRESTIGE CLASSES. Hello there? Little new to the game? We still only have very limited amount of basic Classes. We need Cleric, Ranger, Druid, Paladin etc released! Every class is lots of work for developers. We will pretty sure get Cleric since we need a good healer(yes they can do other stuff also) but the rest of classes is pretty unknown what is available at release.

Prestige Classes are stuff for far future a long time after release. For now we should be happy for every basic Class developers do release.

3. TRANSMOGGING waste of resources according to me and unsure if this game will support that. That said I think Foundry has pretty much customization options but personally I know very little about Foundry details.

4. NO PLAYER HOUSING again waste of resources according to me and unsure if this game will support that.

5. ZONE PHASING What? Immersion in a game means for me means big outside world and no LOAD screen when you enter a new area. I am not so sure I would call Neverwinter outside area big, but hopefully it will grow in time.

6 INSTANCED DUNGEONS You got your wish! Oh god there are thousands of instances adventures soon after release and constantly we get more through Foundry. However note that they are instanced adventures means also that they can contain outside areas and not only caverns.

Bottom line there are lots of stuff instanced in this game. About loot drops it has been confirmed that loot drops are class specified. That will reduce Ninja looting.
    Personally I want also PvP Battlegrounds which I know will be in game. Finally I wish powerprogression that lasts many months for a character if a player plays 40 hours/week.
  • denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    With "prestige classes" do you mean something like DH and Monk in World of Warcraft? I hope they'll add new classes and additional builds. I'd even pay for them.

Otherwise, there are no PrC in 4e, only Paragon Paths and Epic Destinies (which, apparently, won't be in the game at release).

On a different topic, i'm happy there's no open PvP and WorldVWorld (or Guild Vs Guild). I've never seen such bad examples of PvP as in Guild Wars 2 world vs world.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
    edited January 2013
    denkasaeba wrote: »
    With "prestige classes" do you mean something like DH and Monk in World of Warcraft? I hope they'll add new classes and additional builds. I'd even pay for them.

Otherwise, there are no PrC in 4e, only Paragon Paths and Epic Destinies (which, apparently, won't be in the game at release).

On a different topic, i'm happy there's no open PvP and WorldVWorld (or Guild Vs Guild). I've never seen such bad examples of PvP as in Guild Wars 2 world vs world.
    Thanks for the update of 4th edition rules. I am not a guru in 4th edition I have the Players Handbook but I have never played DD 4th edition.

I would call myself GURU on the PvP topic.
    Facts:
    1. There will be no Open World PvP.
    2. Big PvP Battlegrounds. If you think it is like Structured PvP in Guild Wars 2 you could not be more wrong because:
    3. It is not limited to 5 vs 5. Maybe smallest Battlegrounds are that size.
    4. Power does affect forget the equal equal mentality of Guild Wars 2.
    5. Developers have said this game will have BIG Battlegrounds. I don't know how big maybe like Alterac Valley in WOW which is 40 vs 40 players and big instanced outside area.
    6. Finally developers have said that likely after release players will be in future able to create their own PvP Battlegrounds. I don't know how. Maybe it is a different tool then Foundry.

About Guild Wars 2 The Mist PvP. That is up to 2000 players. Sounds good on paper but unfortunately not playable on my budget gaming laptop from 2012. Guild Wars 2 look like <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> with minimum graphics and if it is CPU limited it does not help to reduce graphics.

I have plans to buy a super Haswell CPU desktop computer later this year. That said Neverwinter will not have insane amounts of players like Guild Wars 2 with Mist PvP and therefore I think the system requirements are reasonable.
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for the update of 4th edition rules. I am not a guru in 4th edition I have the Players Handbook but I have never played DD 4th edition.

I would call myself GURU on the PvP topic.
    Facts:
    1. There will be no Open World PvP.
    2. Big PvP Battlegrounds. If you think it is like Structured PvP in Guild Wars 2 you could not be more wrong because:
    3. It is not limited to 5 vs 5. Maybe smallest Battlegrounds are that size.
    4. Power does affect forget the equal equal mentality of Guild Wars 2.
    5. Developers have said this game will have BIG Battlegrounds. I don't know how big maybe like Alterac Valley in WOW which is 40 vs 40 players and big instanced outside area.
    6. Finally developers have said that likely after release players will be in future able to create their own PvP Battlegrounds. I don't know how. Maybe it is a different tool then Foundry.

About Guild Wars 2 The Mist PvP. That is up to 2000 players. Sounds good on paper but unfortunately not playable on my budget gaming laptop from 2012. Guild Wars 2 look like <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> with minimum graphics and if it is CPU limited it does not help to reduce graphics.

I have plans to buy a super Haswell CPU desktop computer later this year. That said Neverwinter will not have insane amounts of players like Guild Wars 2 with Mist PvP and therefore I think the system requirements are reasonable.

I have a good PC, so i don't care about technical requirements. What i care about, instead, is a good PvP system IF PvE is good. PvE comes first imho. I'm good about closed pvp (5v5, 8v8, i don't care), where i get actually SOME kind of rewards, and not some stupid badges useful only to get questionable clothes for my elementalist.
    I want to stomp into dirt people who play less than myself. Survival of the fittest, not carebear attitude. And i want rewards for stomping them.

St. Augustinus
    edited January 2013
    Ok analysing your wishes since I already know answers to some of them.

Appreciate your feedback

1. Tech Trees I am quite neutral to them. Honestly don't have a clue how it will be but if I want to be Beastmaster Ranger then I hope it is possible to be that.
    I'm all about more player options, but tech trees definitely is not the way of doing it. Every MMO I've played with tech trees turns into "When you hit this level, take this tech and if you decide to take a different one, you're gimping your DPS/tanking threat/healing." Kind of self-defeating, and while I don't like it that certain players act that way, it's inevitable that they will. When WoW did away with tech trees in Mists of Pandaria, it was like a breath of fresh air because making sure that I was the appropriate build was one less thing that I now had to worry about.

2.PRESTIGE CLASSES. Hello there? Little new to the game? We still only have very limited amount of basic Classes. We need Cleric, Ranger, Druid, Paladin etc released! Every class is lots of work for developers.
    Actually, yes, I am new. Just joined yesterday, and upon further research realized how different 4e DnD is from the Pathfinder/3.5e system that I'm used too. I get that it's early in development, that many core classes have yet to be realized, and that balance is king when it comes to MMOs, but it would be nice to have some kind of system of letting people branch out and become their own individual thing. Except tech trees, of course ;)

We will pretty sure get Cleric since we need a good healer(yes they can do other stuff also) but the rest of classes is pretty unknown what is available at release.
    I'm completely neutral to healing. Never saw the appeal of being a healer. I've always been a Melee DPS kind of guy (which, sadly, puts me square in the majority of MMO players)

Prestige Classes are stuff for far future a long time after release. For now we should be happy for every basic Class developers do release.
    Oh, I am quite happy with what I am seeing so far, and have no delusions that Neverwinter is going to be everything that I could ever ask for in an MMO. This is just basic level speculation on where I'd like to see the game eventually go.

3. TRANSMOGGING waste of resources according to me and unsure if this game will support that. That said I think Foundry has pretty much customization options but personally I know very little about Foundry details.
    It's really not that complicated, actually. Just an NPC and a menu bar with a bit of code that swaps out one armor skin/texture for another for a sum of money. And the benefits far outweigh the costs because not only are you giving the players extra customization/personalization options, you're opening up an entire market for transmog gear, plus giving players a very good reason to return to older content, buy crafted gear, and run more quests. I really do hate to keep bringing up WoW because I want Neverwinter to be its own thing, but the way that the WoW player community reacted to transmog was far, far more positive than I would have previously thought possible, given that a grumpy, whining, impossible-to-please fan-base is standard fare for an MMO.

4. NO PLAYER HOUSING again waste of resources according to me and unsure if this game will support that.
    Agreed

5. ZONE PHASING What? Immersion in a game means for me means big outside world and no LOAD screen when you enter a new area. I am not so sure I would call Neverwinter outside area big, but hopefully it will grow in time.
    Zone phasing doesn't involve load times. It just means that a certain area of the game changes when you fulfill certain parameters (typically involving quest completion.) Like, before you do a quest there's a farm with people working it, you do one quest in the chain and now the farm is on fire, finish the quest line and now the farm is burnt to the ground. Works like a charm, actually, and I'm pretty sure they implemented that kind of system in LOTRO.

6 INSTANCED DUNGEONS You got your wish!
    You just made my morning. At first I was a little reluctant about instanced zones, but once I realized the beauty of having a dungeon all to myself (or to my party) and never having to wait for boss respawns, I never looked back to shared dungeons.

Personally I want also PvP Battlegrounds which I know will be in game. Finally I wish powerprogression that lasts many months for a character if a player plays 40 hours/week.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you about the PvP battlegrounds. They are a blast to play, especially when larger 40v40 BGs turned into giant brawls. World pvp was never that fun to me because it always seems to devolve into a massive gankfest. As far as power prog... Meh, It all depends on how much support there is for players of every level. For most MMOs I've played all of the really interesting stuff happens when you hit max level, so I tend to favor faster power prog so I'm not stuck grinding the same 2 or 3 dungeons a billion times, but at the same time, if there's enough stuff to be had at lvl 30 vs lvl 60, then sure, slow us down and make us stop and smell the roses.
    The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
    edited January 2013
    We will pretty sure get Cleric since we need a good healer(yes they can do other stuff also) but the rest of classes is pretty unknown what is available at release.
    I'm completely neutral to healing. Never saw the appeal of being a healer. I've always been a Melee DPS kind of guy (which, sadly, puts me square in the majority of MMO players)

Well, since it's a matter of taste, i can agree with you. But the Cleric is going to be awesome: not only you'll be able to heal (thus having players' lives in your hands), but you'll also deal at least some damage.

St. Augustinus
    edited January 2013
    I have a good PC, so i don't care about technical requirements. What i care about, instead, is a good PvP system IF PvE is good. PvE comes first imho. I'm good about closed pvp (5v5, 8v8, i don't care), where i get actually SOME kind of rewards, and not some stupid badges useful only to get questionable clothes for my elementalist.
    I want to stomp into dirt people who play less than myself. Survival of the fittest, not carebear attitude. And i want rewards for stomping them.
    I like both PvE and PvP. Since all trailers so far is about PvE I would say this game has more PvE support, but it is good PvP will also be supported.

I agree with your power progression and stomping mentality. Honestly we don't know how the power progression will be exactly. I would suspect something between WOW(everlasting power progression) and Guild Wars 2(silly carebear max your character in less then 2 weeks).

I am content IF this game has power progression that lasts at least many months if the player plays 40 hours/week. I plan to have many characters.

It is funny GW2 community talk about so much grind hate when at the end of the day they instead grind for cosmetic ****.

It is good that you have nice computer. I had for work reasons had to travel a lot in year 2012 even abroad and therefore I bought a laptop. While I will buy a super desktop this year many laptop owners want reasonable system requirements. It is not only about minimum requirements many players enjoy more games if they can have high graphic settings.
    edited January 2013

No, nothing at all like WoW Monks/Deathknights, for the reason that when you start tacking more core classes into a game, balance becomes an ever more massive issue. Just some kind of specialization within the core classes to add more variety and flavor. Like letting rangers decide if they want to be more of an archer, more of a dual-wield melee class, or more of a caster. I guess class specs would be the closest analogue, but I would like to see that idea expanded into letting players take more cosmetic or utility roles as well. I brought up dragon disciple as an example, where now your character can sport dragon wings and scaly skin and even have a breath weapon cone attack as an added bonus. Little touches that don't throw off the game balance but do contribue to giving players a greater sense of individuality.
    edited January 2013
    It is funny GW2 community talk about so much grind hate when at the end of the day they instead grind for cosmetic ****.

1000 times this. This was the reason i stopped playing at all. People need reasons to play, and i didn't have any.

@lawfulstupid: then the term you're searching about is "Paragon Path", which will contain our level 30-60(?) range in Neverwinter. In 4e it goes from level 11 to 20. If you need general informations about 4e, feel free to PM me.

St. Augustinus
    edited January 2013
    1000 times this. This was the reason i stopped playing at all. People need reasons to play, and i didn't have any.

@lawfulstupid: then the term you're searching about is "Paragon Path", which will contain our level 30-60(?) range in Neverwinter. In 4e it goes from level 11 to 20. If you need general informations about 4e, feel free to PM me.

never, NEVER underestimate people's need, willingness, and drive to look "cool" :-) I guess I had an entirely different experience with it because all of a sudden it became painless to find people who were willing to raid last expansion pack's content and I got to see all of those uber-high level raid zones that typically are only seen by a select few hardcore players.

I'm vaguely familiar with paragon paths and they do seem like an intriguing concept, one that I would love to see fleshed out in the game. Even if it's something as simple as "this one shoots red glowies and that one shoots blue glowies", because every little customization option is welcome.
    edited January 2013
    Well, since it's a matter of taste, i can agree with you. But the Cleric is going to be awesome: not only you'll be able to heal (thus having players' lives in your hands), but you'll also deal at least some damage.
    Oh yes and I hope there will be both Battle Clerics(melee) and Caster options.

Clerics are not like in WOW. I enjoyed WOW for 3.5 years but in WOW Clerics are cloth users. Clerics in DD4th edition have access to Chainmail automatically. Using Plate Mail requires a Feat.

Paladin in Dungeons Dragons 4th edition is the only class that automatically has access to Plate armor. That said Fighters have so many feats they can easily pick that Feat. Guardian Fighter is a classic TANK in this game, but it is Action fighting so you don't stand still. See this video:
    http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/18/neverwinter-guardian-fighter-trailer
    There Guardian Fighter has picked up the Plate Armor Feat.
    edited January 2013
    never, NEVER underestimate people's need, willingness, and drive to look "cool" :-) I guess I had an entirely different experience with it because all of a sudden it became painless to find people who were willing to raid last expansion pack's content and I got to see all of those uber-high level raid zones that typically are only seen by a select few hardcore players.

I'm vaguely familiar with paragon paths and they do seem like an intriguing concept, one that I would love to see fleshed out in the game. Even if it's something as simple as "this one shoots red glowies and that one shoots blue glowies", because every little customization option is welcome.

Well, but you're talking about WoW raids... i guess that you should have tried GW2 instances. They were an epitome of bad design.

About Paragon Paths, they are used to add specialized "fluff" and mechanics to a class or a template. Wizard's PPs, for instance, goes from the classic Wizard of the Spiral Tower to the less classic Blood Mage.
    Clerics are not like in WOW. I enjoyed WOW for 3.5 years but in WOW Clerics are cloth users. Clerics in DD4th edition have access to Chainmail automatically. Using Plate Mail requires a Feat.

Wow Priests and Devoted Clerics, despite armor differencies, are quite similar, at least from what you can read in the original Player's Handbook. Chainmail, interestingly, is considered the worst armor in the game (scaling-wise, not baseline), and most Wisdom Clerics were obliged to get multiple defensive feats. That said, Wisdom prayers (powers) were much better than Str ones.

St. Augustinus
    edited January 2013

My own casual brother dislikes Guild Wars 2 though it has lots to do with that I refuse to play that ****.

For your knowledge this game is much more close to WOW trinity then Guild Wars 2 silly respawn festival with no tanks. All players in GW2 can ressurect each other. In this game ressurect is limited to very few Classes like Cleric for example.

Now as loot policy it will be certainly more hardcore then Guild Wars 2 but exactly how "hardcore" that is unknown. There are random loot drops and an Auction House in this game.
    edited January 2013
    Wow Priests and Devoted Clerics, despite armor differencies, are quite similar, at least from what you can read in the original Player's Handbook. Chainmail, interestingly, is considered the worst armor in the game (scaling-wise, not baseline), and most Wisdom Clerics were obliged to get multiple defensive feats. That said, Wisdom prayers (powers) were much better than Str ones.
    Yeah you might be correct on that. First time I looked at DD 4th edition it looked to me like they have merged it with WOW. Hunters Mark ability for Ranger etc. I really like what DD4th edition has done to the Ranger class.

I am not saying Hunters mark is so good in WOW. When I quit WOW during year 2011 Survival build for hunters was still slighlty best in raids. I played Raids as Survival Hunter but I switched to Beastmaster Hunter for PvP Battlegrounds. BM was buffed buck to almost same level as Survival in Raids. I loved however to have a monster Pet that could ignore mental attacks like fear from Warlocks.

Since vast majority of Hunters played WOW battlegrounds with Survival build it gave me great delight when I used BeastMaster build and my Pet tore them into pieces. Big enemy groups are not so good target but some lonely enemy player with poor armor was perfect target. An enemy Paladin with Plate armor and super self healing was annoying try to kill.
  • dagger2thugtrap7dagger2thugtrap7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    I'd love to see interactive, linked up combat skills, thus wizard lose hold of magic missile or ray of frost that will be whipped back by your companion's (Fighter) shield or blade and be swelled multiple to the near adverse targets. Or something not even mentioned: two guardian fighters' skill combination, a terrifying impact is inflicted on foes whereof at the same time lunging strikes would steady multiple the damages of dashes!;)
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

No, nothing at all like WoW Monks/Deathknights, for the reason that when you start tacking more core classes into a game, balance becomes an ever more massive issue. Just some kind of specialization within the core classes to add more variety and flavor. Like letting rangers decide if they want to be more of an archer, more of a dual-wield melee class, or more of a caster. I guess class specs would be the closest analogue, but I would like to see that idea expanded into letting players take more cosmetic or utility roles as well. I brought up dragon disciple as an example, where now your character can sport dragon wings and scaly skin and even have a breath weapon cone attack as an added bonus. Little touches that don't throw off the game balance but do contribue to giving players a greater sense of individuality.

hehe, lawful stupid...I mean....

Hey there. Thought I'd address these concerns that I was able to publicly find.

Tech Trees--4th edition is different than third where in third, you get so limited number of feats and attribute points that if you don't plot exactly your perfect build is ruined. 4th edition means every four levels you get 2 attribute points to be used in (only one per) the six atttributes: Str Con Dex Int Wis Cha. So if you put one point into str, you couldn't put a second of those then two awarded points also into str and would have to choose another of the five remaining attributes. You could however the next time you get two more points put them into str again or in whatever two attributes you wish.

Since we have a 3:1 ratio of leveling from tabletop to MMO, it's likely the two points per 4 levels would be every 12 levels or 10 if they wanted to make it a nice rounded base 10 progression instead.

Feats on the other hand are every three levels, but you can go up to level 30. and sometimes you get them at special progressions. In game there is all but no question based on numerous videos and screenshots they will use the feat tree progression, likely specializing in things like damage, attribute buffing and the class' power specialization types. It also seems that each class has its own specialization which ends in three "end tree options" to specialize in. No clue what they are as the screens fail to detail info. However, this is in ADDITION to a specialty class. Well address that next.

"Prestige Classes"--As noted, 4th edition uses tiers. Heroic is 1-10, Paragon is 11-20 and epic is 21-30. To help offset the this-isn't-four-hours-once-a-week-playing, they have released (for 2 of the three tiers heroic and paragon,) a total of 60 levels instead of 20 or a 3-1 ratio. When you change to Paragon difficulty tier, you have the option of choosing what is called a Paragon path.or to quote a previous post:

@lawfulstupid: then the term you're searching about is "Paragon Path", which will contain our level 30-60(?) range in Neverwinter. In 4e it goes from level 11 to 20. If you need general information about 4e, feel free to PM me.

This is correct since we are in a 3-1 ratio. It works the same wy the PrC did but using 4e rules on special at-will/encounter/daily and/or utility powers as well as buffs related to specialties.

No, I can't say from videos and screenshots what they are as the change from tabletop to MMO makes my speculation on how it works not able to be done. All I can say based on the article that listed customization power definition is it's likely it will deal with those terms instead of the to hit, AC, etc. SO look for things like Power, defense, recovery, etc. You can guess how they work as much as the rest of anybody here as we're all curious.

But if you need it, the second post of my FAQ linked on my banner starts with the 4e explanation and I even color coded it for both the D&D game and Neverwinter MMO to show (from what was released) how the system works. Since developers said they were impressed with the FAQ, I'll take that I got it right :)

But it's optional not mandatory.

Transmogging--Okay, I'm going to be a little dumb and assume you mean how pretty you can look with custom pieces of clothing and fitting and colors and stuff. The good news is now I know we get things down to the shirt and pants level PLUS those items that go over it, PLUS we get dyes, I know we can help shape our clothing armor look. And Cryptic has yet NOT to have a "battle"/costume switch/toggle, so I'm all but betting that option is ALSO going to be discussed one day before launch. So far I don't think they talked abut an unarmored clothing toggle yet, but I could be wrong.

No Player Housing--Wow, you are the FIRST person in QUITE a while that is UNREQUESTING this.

Log story short, it's not in for launch, it IS wish-listed and for a person who may want to customize their character's appearance, you miss the concept isn't as much to have a location as it is to CUSTOMIZE a base of operations be it for an individual or for a guild. See UO, SWG even the Elder Scrolls. Those reasons.
    When players get the option to make persistent shared Foundry areas (also wish-listed possibly, this might happen then. But no, they are NOT taking resources from the primary game to work on either of these, so let everybody get their future wish (if they work on gameplay and bug fixes of course.)

Zone Phasing and Instanced dungeons--I'm going to quote from my FAQ to explain how the world is set up and how both non combat and combat public shared worlds work on the "one server."

Is the game Instanced or Open world? I keep hearing it's one than it's the other!

That's because it's both!
    From a MMORPG player-submitted Q&A article:
    Q: How much of the game is instanced compared to being an open world?
    Andy Velasquez: Right now, the ratio stands at 50/50, so we have a fairly even split between open world and instanced content.

The game will be half persistent world and half instanced, with both solo-friendly locations and end-mission multiplayer re-playable delves (more on this later) where you can get your top gear, confirmed by Zeke Sparkes (lead developer of Neverwinter Online) and Pokket (interviewer from MMORPG.com) from their E3 interview.

Quests and monsters will wander around their zones of the open world where a large number of people can participate with each other, but dungeons, special missions, and end-of-story-arc delves (more on this later) will be instanced for up to (and only) five players as per a typical Fourth Edition Dungeons and Dragons adventuring party.

Can you tell me how the Game World (or Server) will work then with player population?

Updated 10/05/2012:
    Cryptic uses one game server per game. This means, Cryptic makes a unified "world server" to play on composed of a bunch of physical computer servers to make one "game world." So no other "PvP Servers" or "Role Playing Servers" are done as separate servers to log into. This also means that User Generated Content via the integrated Foundry tool (and more on that is mentioned in the Foundry section) also is accessed by the same NPCs and objects in the "world Server."

When a public area zone in the game gets too large, it splits it into another "public instance" or "shard." So you could have "The Moonstone Mask" as a public place, then it splits into "The Moonstone Mask1" and "The Moonstone Mask2" when there are too many people for the capacity on a public location zone.

Users will have the ability to "switch" between shards (often by a pull down location option if there are multiple areas.)

This splitting continues if any of the the public area zones continue to grow to capacity again ("The Moonstone Mask3," "The Moonstone Mask4," etc.) and the zones lower in sequential number when the population drops so they can rejoin another (or original) shard (or zone) the next time players leave and re-enter said public zone. So if there are only 4 people in the original zone, and 2 in a second zone, that second zone goes away when the last player in a zone leaves, and the players re-entering that public zone go to the original zone. The game does automatically decide where the least load or most need for new population is needed for the shards, which the above players have the option to manually switch zones (especially for party-based grouping.)

However, when players join a party to do certain quests, they may instead of adventure in a public area be sent to a private instance which can hold a party of up to five adventurers. This will definitely be done in the "delves" described later in this section. Also see the (previous) "Is the game Instanced or Open world? I keep hearing it's one than it's the other!" question.

Finally, Cryptic does not "separate" players into their own servers. So there is not a "role playing" server and a "PvP" server and a "min-max" server, etc. We all play in one game world as mentioned above.

I hope this further helps!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    No Player Housing--Wow, you are the FIRST person in QUITE a while that is UNREQUESTING this.

Yea this confused me as well. His reason for no housing confused me as well. Housing doesn't make people less social. It makes the game more theirs. That is, each person playing feels more rooted to the game when they can set house down, so that they may have a place to keep their things and warm their toes by a fireplace. Having just a bank to store you stuff is boring. Having a house to decorate and hang up all your stuff is fun.

You can't hunt and quest from inside your house. You cant go to the shops inside your house. I doubt people will lock their house and hide inside them never leaving. Peaking out the shades every now and then saying

Gladys: Abner! Abner! Look Abner, our neighbor are up to no good again.

Abner: *sigh* Stop being so nosey Gladys... Why don't you just go over and talk with them?
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
This discussion has been closed.