test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

List what you would like to see in this mmo

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
#1. I would like to see a vast realm underground. the Underdark made up of the Upperdark, MiddleDark, and Lowerdark.

#2. A multitude of dungeons large and small. Small caves, Large caves, tombs, crypts, Ruins, Mines, castles, towers, shipwreks, geographical location etc etc.

#3. I hope they expand further out from Neverwinter above ground. To the north the ruined city of Luskan, the spine of the world Mountains and Icewind Dale, Mirabar, Lurkwood, Dark arrow keep, Mithral Hall, Glimmerwood, to the east the Evermoors, Silverymoon, Everlund the High forest, Lost Peaks to the south the sword mountains, and WaterDeep.

#4. I would love to play as an Uthgargardt Barbarian from glimmerwood, or a Half Elf from Everlund, a dwarf from Mithral Hall or Mirabar. An orc perhaps from the kingdom of Many-Arrows.

5. D&D has a tremendous amount of monsters. I would like to see as many as possible.

These are some of the things i would like to see in this world what are yours?

#6.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2012
    hope for a persistent wilderness (above and below ground) where we can run into creature encounters (potentially with many people coming and going in the regions) and find dungeons that are instanced (4-6 people) and have explorations there.
    Adamantium wrote: »
    #1. I would like to see a vast realm underground. the Underdark made up of the Upperdark, MiddleDark, and Lowerdark.

#2. A multitude of dungeons large and small. Small caves, Large caves, tombs, crypts, Ruins, Mines, castles, towers, shipwreks, geographical location etc etc.

#3. I hope they expand further out from Neverwinter above ground. To the north the ruined city of Luskan, the spine of the world Mountains and Icewind Dale, Mirabar, Lurkwood, Dark arrow keep, Mithral Hall, Glimmerwood, to the east the Evermoors, Silverymoon, Everlund the High forest, Lost Peaks to the south the sword mountains, and WaterDeep.

#4. I would love to play as an Uthgargardt Barbarian from glimmerwood, or a Half Elf from Everlund, a dwarf from Mithral Hall or Mirabar. An orc perhaps from the kingdom of Many-Arrows.

5. D&D has a tremendous amount of monsters. I would like to see as many as possible.

These are some of the things i would like to see in this world what are yours?

#6.
    edited March 2012
    I have only 2 decent wishes:

I want a progression curve that makes a char reach max level only after a minimum of 250 hours of play.

I want a dead penalty that makes me think twice about repeating any encounter where my char just died.

Because I play MMOs for a single reason: Every action counts
    No savegame, cheat or godmode
    And I can do perfectly without a difficulty slider.
    If a whole floor of people works on an MMO for years they should be able to BALANCE their game for gods sake - instead of putting it into our hand AGAIN!
    edited March 2012
    I would like to see NPC's from the first two games. Neverwinter has always had a good story and good music. I am nervous about it switching to an MMO. Really hope they get Jeremy Soule to compose the music.

I also like the ability to create user content. Some of the modules were fantastic (e.g. Aribeth's Redemption). Hope to see this continue.
    edited March 2012
    I want a dead penalty that makes me think twice about repeating any encounter where my char just died.

They are probably going to do whatever appeals to the largest audience. And a death penalty too steep will probably anger people and make them too scared to explore or fight monsters (And what's the fun in that?). It would probably also make people not want to play the game. There are also a lot of people who prefer to solo which usually has a higher risk of death on it's own. So again if the penalty is too steep you would probably lose many of the solo type players.

I'm sure they will do something similar to any other MMO. Respawn & travel back, respawn sickness, damage to equipment, XP or gold loss, etc...

Personally I am all for:
    ~open world
    ~instanced dungeons
    ~a fun and detailed crafting system (not a grindy crappy one where you can hardly even use the items you can make because by the time you are ready to make the item you are already higher level and found better stuff thus making the crafting pointless:D)
    ~armor and weapon appearance/color changer
    ~An inn that is actually fun to go to. Has purpose, games, singing, dancing, etc. And less of them so that a lot of players can gather together at the same ones and have more social interaction.
    edited March 2012
    The main thing for me , Is DDO style combat . Period, no point and click <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.Other than that im pretty much open too any ting else :D
    edited March 2012
    the-truthseeker,GhostOfGod,Aarin_Gend good stuff i would like to see that too.

TheStoryteller0 i would multiply 250 hours by 100 as long as its not repetitive, boring and feel to much like grinding. Think of your Typical Theme Park surrounded by a gigantic Sanbox. A good story is told by the Theme Park 250 hours or more then i get to play in this gigantic Sandbox for years.

I have always been fascinated with perma death being implemented in an mmo. The problem is the players that want a strict or permanent death penalty are in the minority and there is no reason you cant just impose them yourself. No on is stopping you. My guild mates will tell you I have deleted a character that died and started over. I certainly do not do this all the time but i have in the past. This being said i suspect it will be a death penalty like we see in other mmo's which is fine.

6. Since there making this game into an mmo i would expect to see more character classes. we know there will be the warrior, wizard, cleric, Ranger and rogue but i would like to see the Druid, Paladin, Warlord, Monk, Shaman, Bard and Runepriest added. there are many more too in 4th ed. and if all of them made it that would be fine with me.

7. I would like to see a theme park in the middle of a vast sandbox. I enjoy both styles of play and have yet to see an acceptable mmo merge the two.

8. I would love to see player and guild housing. examples
    a wizards tower on a inaccessable peak, a roadside Inn in the middle of a long road, A small fortified keep on a hill, a small walled village with a small castle, a fortified farm, a townhouse in a city, a fortified mine etc etc.
    edited March 2012
    ...not what to expect.

Honestly I do expect nothing from this MMO that makes it any better than EQ2 or LOTRO (the only MMOs I liked so far).

If it wasn't for the Foundry I wouldn't care.

But still I do have wishes :D
    edited March 2012
    My wants are simple but I'm not expecting any of them.

I want to see Neverwinter based around small groups just like the PnP game
    I want the game to have a deep story centric feel with an action based combat system.
    I want the end game to about anything but raid or die
    I want to be able to create dungeons, crypts, outdoor areas and make those areas feel like a D&D encounter.
    I want to be able to join groups and not be yelled at because I didn't min/max
    I want to have adventures...not hop on the grind train for the next set of gear.
    edited March 2012
    Ooh, a fabled Ring of Three Wishes! Sweet!

1. A progression curve that makes a char reach level 30 only after a maximum of 90 hours of play (as I hope to take at least 50 characters to max level, and would like to be able to do so in a single lifetime without quitting my job, thanks).

2. To be able to choose from every single race, class, skill, feat, power, and item that's selectable in WotC's 4th edition character builder (yes, this does imply the presence of rituals).

3. Encounters that are challenging and varied enough that success requires good tactical decision making every time... not just figuring out a pattern that works and repeating that pattern ad infinitum.

If Cryptic actually manages to pull all of these off, I think I'll be a dedicated fan of this game for life. I really can't think of anything more that I'd want.
    edited March 2012
    And just a few more things for fun:

~mounts
    ~vanity pets
    ~player housing
    ~achievements
    ~fishing
    ~treasure hunting (not the stuff at the end of the dungeon, just unique little treasures one can find in the land that don't effect game play. Maybe things that change your appearance for awhile, make flowers appear around you, shoot a rainbow across the sky, whatever...)
    ~other things of this nature that do not have to effect game play in any way.

One thing I absolutely loved from games of the past was to be able to go into some infested castle or building and clean it out, killing all the nasties inside. Once done it would then belong to you. Maybe they could do something like this for guild or player housing? Pick the type of place you want and then get your would be guild members to take it over. It would be a lot funner than just buying it (yawn).

And on a side note. I wonder if they could simply allow players to make their own housing using the foundry. The devs wouldn't even need to build neighborhoods like LOTRO. It would just be left up to the players to build whatever they want. Something like this anyway. They'd have to keep treasure spawning out of it but that should be simple enough.
    edited March 2012
    I"d like to see the sword coast.
    edited March 2012
    Mounts yes, but not just for travel, I truely hope i could ride a mailed horse into battle.
    edited March 2012
    I have only 2 decent wishes:

I want a progression curve that makes a char reach max level only after a minimum of 250 hours of play.

Because I play MMOs for a single reason: Every action counts
    No savegame, cheat or godmode
    And I can do perfectly without a difficulty slider.
    If a whole floor of people works on an MMO for years they should be able to BALANCE their game for gods sake - instead of putting it into our hand AGAIN!

I'm hoping for a long progression (that means not cap in one day's playtime) also. As for number two on your list, (Edit: if other posters are not aware of this) there is a thread about the Death Penalty and Resting on these forums at this location.

the-truthseeker,GhostOfGod,Aarin_Gend good stuff i would like to see that too.

TheStoryteller0 i would multiply 250 hours by 100 as long as its not repetitive, boring and feel to much like grinding. Think of your Typical Theme Park surrounded by a gigantic Sanbox. A good story is told by the Theme Park 250 hours or more then i get to play in this gigantic Sandbox for years.

I have always been fascinated with perma death being implemented in an mmo. The problem is the players that want a strict or permanent death penalty are in the minority and there is no reason you cant just impose them yourself. No on is stopping you. My guild mates will tell you I have deleted a character that died and started over. I certainly do not do this all the time but i have in the past. This being said i suspect it will be a death penalty like we see in other mmo's which is fine.

6. Since there making this game into an mmo i would expect to see more character classes. we know there will be the warrior, wizard, cleric, Ranger and rogue but i would like to see the Druid, Paladin, Warlord, Monk, Shaman, Bard and Runepriest added. there are many more too in 4th ed. and if all of them made it that would be fine with me.

7. I would like to see a theme park in the middle of a vast sandbox. I enjoy both styles of play and have yet to see an acceptable mmo merge the two.

8. I would love to see player and guild housing. examples
    a wizards tower on a inaccessable peak, a roadside Inn in the middle of a long road, A small fortified keep on a hill, a small walled village with a small castle, a fortified farm, a townhouse in a city, a fortified mine etc etc.

Nice idea with the sandbox around the themepark. Pathfinder Online is doing that (third blog article onward from this blog)

Permadeath is a tricky topic and most likely will not be supported unless it is a vast majority request by players. Down the line, it could happen on an alternate server if there is one (or a foundry built option.) If looking for a MMO supported game for this, look for information on Wizardry doing this as an MMO. (here and here also )

Of course, I also fully support more character classes with the MMO update, and we'll just have to see what is being released in the MMO, what is planned to be expanded and what just doesn't port into a computer MMO game.

I'm betting the guilds come later and hope they do as well.

My wants are simple but I'm not expecting any of them.

I want to see Neverwinter based around small groups just like the PnP game
    I want the game to have a deep story centric feel with an action based combat system.
    I want the end game to about anything but raid or die
    I want to be able to create dungeons, crypts, outdoor areas and make those areas feel like a D&D encounter.
    I want to be able to join groups and not be yelled at because I didn't min/max
    I want to have adventures...not hop on the grind train for the next set of gear.

I can't speak for the rest of your (cynical) hopes, but I can say the first one with small groups has already been done since co-op and will be maintained in MMO as per following the original rules of 4th ed. When players enter "dungeons" they will do so in groups of the traditional D&D 4th ed size.

GhostOfGod wrote:
    And just a few more things for fun:

~mounts
    ~vanity pets
    ~player housing
    ~achievements
    ~fishing
    ~treasure hunting (not the stuff at the end of the dungeon, just unique little treasures one can find in the land that don't effect game play. Maybe things that change your appearance for awhile, make flowers appear around you, shoot a rainbow across the sky, whatever...)
    ~other things of this nature that do not have to effect game play in any way.

One thing I absolutely loved from games of the past was to be able to go into some infested castle or building and clean it out, killing all the nasties inside. Once done it would then belong to you. Maybe they could do something like this for guild or player housing? Pick the type of place you want and then get your would be guild members to take it over. It would be a lot funner than just buying it (yawn).

And on a side note. I wonder if they could simply allow players to make their own housing using the foundry. The devs wouldn't even need to build neighborhoods like LOTRO. It would just be left up to the players to build whatever they want. Something like this anyway. They'd have to keep treasure spawning out of it but that should be simple enough.

Yeah, silly as it sounds, I miss fishing too. Not as a quest thing, but just as an option (reward based or time-wasting, doesn't matter.) Obviously I want to do something with fish I catch, but do want the fishing option. Technically, if ever implemented, it should be based off of the Nature skill if done by 4th ed D&D rules.
    Mounts yes, but not just for travel, I truely hope i could ride a mailed horse into battle.

Thinking of mounts, mounted combat comes to mind and it has its own rules/feats, so that is a long-term issue that needs to be done unless it's decided no combat from mounts to start. Vanity pets likely will be done in the store purchase.
    Achievments and housing likely will come later as the game is fleshed out, but are great things for the future to look forward to.

But the big thing I love about the post is "clearing out the infested area and it then belongs to you." Pathfinder Online's development is using a similar system in their hex-based developed world, that gives ownership to the person/group that clears out an area in enemy-controlled lands, then even can attempt construction on said lands (see Pazio's seventh article on their blog here )

Whether or not it's gain ownership or areas or can simply gain as player/guild housing, IMHO, it really is the touch-point of MMO and D&D alike.
    edited March 2012
    As for number two on your list, there is a thread about the Death Penalty and Resting on these forums at this location.

This is a thread about "what I would like to see".

I posted what I would like to see and I have NO idea why some wisecracks cant resist to
    a) discuss our wishes
    b) make assumptions about the chances they will come true :rolleyes:

You can discuss ideas, suggestions and predictions. You can't discuss wishes. If I wish for a game with no text but only symbols it can't be discussed, no matter how unrealistic ist as. That is the "magic" of a wish, that it is immune to reality.;)

You obviously haven't read my other post in this thread:
    I thought this was a thread about "what we would like to see in this mmo...not what to expect.

Honestly I do expect nothing from this MMO that makes it any better than EQ2 or LOTRO (the only MMOs I liked so far).

If it wasn't for the Foundry I wouldn't care.

But still I do have wishes :D

Btw, I have allready posted about my thoughts and expectations in the very thread you informed me of - thanks a lot. :D
    edited March 2012
    This is a thread about "what I would like to see".

I posted what I would like to see and I have NO idea why some wisecracks cant resist to
    a) discuss our wishes
    b) make assumptions about the chances they will come true :rolleyes:

You can discuss ideas, suggestions and predictions. You can't discuss wishes. If I wish for a game with no text but only symbols it can't be discussed, no matter how unrealistic ist as. That is the "magic" of a wish, that it is immune to reality.;)

You obviously haven't read my other post in this thread:

Btw, I have allready posted about my thoughts and expectations in the very thread you informed me of - thanks a lot. :D

I did read your posts and appreciated it, and the link was for everybody as well as you. I was responding to multiple posts in my prior reply and have gone back and edited my reply to properly reflect my response for multiple readers. I am sorry if in any way you thought I didn't appreciate your posts in all threads, as it was very informative.
    edited March 2012
    Buyable from Steam and release date. ;)
    edited March 2012
    Buyable from Steam and release date. ;)

Seconded :D
    edited March 2012
    An immersive environment. If I walked into a frigid wasteland I want to encounter blizzards, snow drifts, avalanches. In caves that dark creepy feeling where lighting is limited. Ruins to have shattered images or icons of what it once stood for, where overgrowth is covering evidence of what and who built it.
    edited March 2012
    Saco123 wrote:
    An immersive environment. If I walked into a frigid wasteland I want to encounter blizzards, snow drifts, avalanches. In caves that dark creepy feeling where lighting is limited. Ruins to have shattered images or icons of what it once stood for, where overgrowth is covering evidence of what and who built it.

As long as these can be turned off if desired (I'm thinking of possible performance issues here) these would be nice.
    edited March 2012
    There is only two things that I desire...

Decent traps in dungeons, traps that make people say glad the barbarian ran into it first.

Also a trap disabling system for the rogue class like in the Dungeons and Dragons Online game.
    edited March 2012
    Cursed magic items like the Girdle of Masculinity/Feminity, Bag of Devouring, Periapt of Foul Rotting, etc...

Make the player paranoid. :D
    edited March 2012
    Dragonborn. To be honest, how they handle that will factor large in how I feel about the rest of the features.
    edited March 2012
    Firstmost I'd like it not to be an MMO in the sense of all the MMO's we have today and what MMO has become to mean.

So yes...my far fetched plea is for a developer to REALLY think out of the box and NOT make a mainstream game for mainstream kids like everyone else.

And yes, no dragonborn players, or at least very limited.

Probably I am out of luck though...
    edited March 2012
    I would like to see a monthly subscription granting full access to the game. This gives the developers incentive to support the game going forward. The key differance is Neverwinter's best quality that makes it better than any typical MMO is player created content. I would like to see 50% of all monthly revenue given to player developers based on how much players frequent thier site. This will provide the game developers and player developers a revenue stream that will motivate all to dedicate time and resources to the continued develpment of the game.

I forsee as Primary world with content and then portals or ships you can take to player made worlds. All with great unique content. My utopia.
    edited March 2012
    I want intelligent Dragons who fill their lairs w/traps & minions to guard their treasure. I do NOT want some dumb lizard who sits around waiting for St George to walk in to a cave & cut his head off.
    Most of you would probably hate the Dragons in my PnP world :D
    I want to see the classic monsters of our beloved AD&D to be feared again.
    4th ed & it's encumbering mechanics can go take a field trip to Gehenna for all I care. I want to see real AD&D again!
    edited March 2012
    Zaxtaj wrote:
    There is only two things that I desire...

Decent traps in dungeons, traps that make people say glad the barbarian ran into it first.

Also a trap disabling system for the rogue class like in the Dungeons and Dragons Online game.
    xilix wrote: »
    I want intelligent Dragons who fill their lairs w/traps & minions to guard their treasure. I do NOT want some dumb lizard who sits around waiting for St George to walk in to a cave & cut his head off.
    4th ed & it's encumbering mechanics can go take a field trip to Gehenna for all I care. I want to see real AD&D again!

I'm with ya both on these (Imagines Bilbo Baggins and Smaug when he thinks of elegant and smart.)

And if they implement these the way both of you wrote them above, then I'll play a rogue/thief figuring out how to get as much loot as possible and (somehow) get away alive!
    edited March 2012
    xilix wrote: »

Seconded... This was the straw in the Camel's back in my friends first marriage. He killed off his ex-wifes favorite character, with an Illusionary Great Blue Dragon, whose actions were being choreographed by the actual Blue Dragon, from behind a illusionary ceiling.

The Blue Dragon cultivated Shriekers and Violet Fungi at the entrance to his lair, and had so many mindless creatures, obstacles and traps on the path to his resting place/treasure horde, that the party was almost out of supplies and spells when they finally got to him.

Imagine the parties surprise, when just as they think they have slain the great blue dragon, Evard's Black Tentacles erupt form the corpse, which vanishes, just as the real Great Blue Dragon comes swooping down from his vantage point above.

It was a breath weapon from this real Dragon that killed off his wife's character. He says the ride home was the most depressing thing that ever happened to him.
    edited March 2012
    Seconded... This was the straw in the Camel's back in my friends first marriage. He killed off his ex-wifes favorite character, with an Illusionary Great Blue Dragon, whose actions were being choreographed by the actual Blue Dragon, from behind a illusionary ceiling.

The Blue Dragon cultivated Shriekers and Violet Fungi at the entrance to his lair, and had so many mindless creatures, obstacles and traps on the path to his resting place/treasure horde, that the party was almost out of supplies and spells when they finally got to him.

Imagine the parties surprise, when just as they think they have slain the great blue dragon, Evard's Black Tentacles erupt form the corpse, which vanishes, just as the real Great Blue Dragon comes swooping down from his vantage point above.

It was a breath weapon from this real Dragon that killed off his wife's character. He says the ride home was the most depressing thing that ever happened to him.

So do you think he still thinks it was worth it lol?
    edited March 2012
    My biggest hope for Neverwinter is not only that you all will enjoy it as much as I have in our playtests here, but rather that our community here will continue to grow, and thrive.

I hope to have an MMO community based around Neverwinter that will be the envy of Community Managers everywhere. A group of individuals who not only respect one another, and each others opinions, but also one that offers constructive criticism, and feedback to our developers, and other members of the community, rather than cheap one liners meant for a quick laugh.

It's a dream that only you guys can help me bring about. But so far, I think we're doing a pretty good job.

Thanks,

Stormshade
    edited March 2012
    StormShade wrote:
    My biggest hope for Neverwinter is not only that you all will enjoy it as much as I have in our playtests here, but rather that our community here will continue to grow, and thrive.

I hope to have an MMO community based around Neverwinter that will be the envy of Community Managers everywhere. A group of individuals who not only respect one another, and each others opinions, but also one that offers constructive criticism, and feedback to our developers, and other members of the community, rather than cheap one liners meant for a quick laugh.

It's a dream that only you guys can help me bring about. But so far, I think we're doing a pretty good job.

Thanks,

Stormshade

Aww shucks :o
This discussion has been closed.