test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can't start Icewind Dale campaign

revy#5560 revy Member Posts: 8 Arc User
Hello everyone,

thank you for reading this. I have just returned to Neverwinter after a several year hiatus, pulled a "halfway through" character from the drawer and started playing. So far, I made good progress and one of the next steps for me would be starting the Icewind Dale campaing (after finishing several others, inculding all boons from Dread Ring). Except... I can't. I have no way to start the campaign. There is no quest that leads me to the beginning of the campaign in my log neither can I accept one from Knox - at least that guy's where I started the campaign the last time several years ago. I can't travel to Caer Konig as it is greyed ot on my map, probably since I'm missing the required quest. There is no button in the campain window that would allow me to proceed anywhere... So I'm a bit lost.
Am I missing something or did I run into a bug that makes it impossible to start? Thanks for any help in advance!

Comments

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,233 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    Type ']'. Click 'Icewind Dale'.

Click 'Start Campaign'
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options

Type ']'. Click 'Icewind Dale'.

Click 'Start Campaign'

Yeah, well, the problem is... That button isn't there. I dont have it, as I said before.

The text in blue says (roughly) that I should travel to Caer-Konig for futher investigations, black ice enchantments and up to three boons. The map button for Caer-Konig is still grey and says I need to accept the quest from the campaign to enter. Gear definitely isn't the issue, I've got more than double of what's necessary.

• Options
    For another far fetch shot, if you click the 'view campaign' button. Does that next window have a 'Start campaign' button?

*** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options

For another far fetch shot, if you click the 'view campaign' button. Does that next window have a 'Start campaign' button?

No, it also doesn't... Guess it's bugged then and I'll have to send a report to the devs :/

• Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    revy#5560 said:

No, it also doesn't... Guess it's bugged then and I'll have to send a report to the devs :/

Ok, it is a long time since I did this so I am just guessing:
    * You might have pressed the Start Campaign button and received the associated quest already. That quest might have steps to do in other zones(typically PE) before you can actually go to Caer Konig.

Check through your quest journal and see if you have the starter quest active under some other zone? Most likely PE.. but could be other zones too.
  • Options

* You might have pressed the Start Campaign button and received the associated quest already. That quest might have steps to do in other zones(typically PE) before you can actually go to Caer Konig.

Check through your quest journal and see if you have the starter quest active under some other zone? Most likely PE.. but could be other zones too.

I have, several times by now. The quest is nowhere to be found, neither in PE nor other zones.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

revy#5560 said:

The quest after you click "Start Campaign" (after they introduced 'Start Campaign' button) is to go to CK. Since OP cannot go to CK at all, he is kind of doom for now.

The following is the quest log after I clicked 'Start Campaign".

And, I have map access to CK. OP has CK grey'ed out.

• Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Just a thought, can you talk to Captain Dunmish? He is located between the market and the gate, near a wagon train.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies and the help. I heard back from the Neverwinter support today; essentially, this is a known bug and they are working on fixing it. No ETA at the moment, though.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    pitshade said:

Just a thought, can you talk to Captain Dunmish? He is located between the market and the gate, near a wagon train.

Yes, you can talk to him and he is there to talk and talk only. And the information he provided is really out-of-date.

Post edited by plasticbat on
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Haha, yes At release, there was a IL (called Gear Score then) requirement and you had to have some boons in mods 1 and 2 to even start mod 3.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    I'd also try and post this to Bug's forum as well, especially if you can't even travel to Caer-Konig.

(Mostly so you can update and let others know, along with any possible work-arounds, or other things you might find)
    Post edited by strathkin on
  • Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    revy#5560 said:

Thank you everyone for your replies and the help. I heard back from the Neverwinter support today; essentially, this is a known bug and they are working on fixing it. No ETA at the moment, though.

so, this is probably nothing, but... you do meet the IL requirements for the campaign, correct?
  • Options
    amaldur01amaldur01 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Resurrecting this thread from the dead. I have the exact same problem. I can't access Icewind Dale. 63k IL currently, 40k IL above the requirement. No option to start the quest from the journal in either location. Speaking to Dunmish yields nothing. Knox has no quest. Map is greyed out and says I need a quest from Knox. I can't start the zone.

My situation is the same as the OP. This is an older character who I just started playing again but who had never done Icewind Dale.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    amaldur01 said:

Resurrecting this thread from the dead. I have the exact same problem. I can't access Icewind Dale. 63k IL currently, 40k IL above the requirement. No option to start the quest from the journal in either location. Speaking to Dunmish yields nothing. Knox has no quest. Map is greyed out and says I need a quest from Knox. I can't start the zone.

My situation is the same as the OP. This is an older character who I just started playing again but who had never done Icewind Dale.

I assume you have something like this:

One of my character has that. He has over 21K item level.

Post edited by plasticbat on
  • Options
    Yep, that is exactly what I see. Thank you for posting it. I was hoping to enjoy the double XP in Icewind Dale but I'm suspecting that this won't be fixed in time for that.
  • Options
    If they can't give these characters access to the zone, it would be nice if they at least gave those characters a completion token. Though that wouldn't address missing out on the content, at least it would allow the character to get the benefits of having played that zone.
  • Options
    melotai#0794 melotai Member Posts: 278 Arc User
    have you tried both Sgt Knox's? he is in the training hall and at the raised PE location. had similar problem with my Bard on something and it was just that only one of the knox's was actually giving the quest!
  • Options
    Yes, tried them both. Nothing.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,097 Arc User
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    tornnomartornnomar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
    I am in the same boat as OP and others. I recently began playing a mule and I noticed the only quest missing from SGT Knox in the huge wall of quests that he has was "A Chill WInd." Thats the very start of IWD. It sends you to Cap. Dunmish and from there, Alden Lowell in CK.
    Now on the overhead map of IWD, you can hover over CK, and it will say that you cant travel here yet, you need the quest 'Icewind Dale' from Knox. Going to play around today on a few others who I know never started IWD and see if they have that quest from Knox.
    [img][/img]NORresized.png
    Branch Lead
  • Options
    rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    I just started IWD on an alt, and all I needed to do was go to the campaign window and click "start campaign" and accept it and then I went to the travel gate and went to Cair Conig. I didn't need to see any NPCs before going there. Maybe they changed it and didn't tell anyone.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • Options
    Yes, Knox does not have "A Chill Wind" or "Icewind Dale." At this point, Knox has no quest for me at all. All he says is "Protector's Enclave needs your help," with no quest options. Also, Dunmish has no speech icon above his head, doesn't offer me a quest, and doesn't even offer his normal dialogue. All he says is, "I've heard this was the the city to hire heroes. So far, I'm not convinced."
  • Options
    Hi Rockster. Yes, I think that is a way to start the campaign now. Unfortunately, my campaign window does not have "Start Campaign" button. See photo posted above by PlasticBat.
  • Options
    rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    edited March 2023
    edit ignore this post, i missed the image above.
    Post edited by rockster#6227 on
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • Options
    percemerpercemer Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 1,048 Arc User
    Greetings,

Can you let me know the Character'sName@handle of each character that is affected by this issue please?

Thanks in advance!
    Percemer
    EU Community Manager @ Gearbox Publishing
    ----------
    Neverwinter: Discord - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube - Customer Support - Terms of Service
  • Options
    Percemer, thank you so much for the response. I sent you a message with the character name and handle of the two characters that have this issue. I really, greatly appreciate your help! Please let me know if you need any additional information.
  • Options
    Just to finish my saga, I was contacted by both a GM and Percemer and the issue has been resolved. I was given a quest in my journal to visit Caer Konig and the area was accessible to me. Thank you for the quick response!
  • Options
    percemerpercemer Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 1,048 Arc User
    You're welcome. If anyone else experiences this issue, please submit a ticket. The Support team is able to give you manually the introduction quest.

Regards,
    Percemer
    EU Community Manager @ Gearbox Publishing
    ----------
    Neverwinter: Discord - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube - Customer Support - Terms of Service